PDA

View Full Version : Stormy to the DL

Matt700wlw
04-20-2008, 01:08 PM
RHP David Weathers today went on the 15-day disabled list with ulnar nerve irritation in his right elbow.

Weathers was injured during yesterday’s game vs the Brewers.

No other roster move was made today.

oneupper
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
How convenient was that?

Cyclone792
04-21-2008, 02:52 PM
RHP David Weathers today went on the 15-day disabled list with ulnar nerve irritation in his right elbow.

I had ulnar nerve irritation in my left elbow last fall (I'm right-handed though). Let me be the first to tell you it's a completely annoying injury more than anything else, though obviously I wasn't trying to pitch so I presume there's a chance pitching with it could bring about some pain. For those unaware, the ulnar nerve is the same nerve as your funny bone.

Depending on the severity, Weathers could be out just two weeks or he could be out for quite a bit longer than that. He'll have tingling, numbness, and a general loss of feeling from his elbow all the way down his forearm and extending to his ring finger and pinky finger. If the severity is moderate (or worse), then it may very well affect his grip on the ball on certain pitches.

Since this is a nerve, it does take a long time to fully heal and go away. We're talking approximately one millimeter of healing per day. It took about a month for my left arm to start feeling "mostly normal" again, but then again it's not my dominant arm and I wasn't pitching professionally with it either. I also still have occasional irritation with the ulnar nerve even six months later.