PDA

View Full Version : is this ideal about hitting dumb?

icehole3
04-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Give it to me straight guys if this ideal is dumb let me know I can take it. Since most of the Reds are in a hitting slump what about practicing with a smaller ball Not a golf ball maybe something in between anyone agree with my ideal???

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/mdshul/emot-hydrogen.gif

jojo
04-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Give it to me straight guys if this ideal is dumb let me know I can take it. Since most of the Reds are in a hitting slump what about practicing with a smaller ball Not a golf ball maybe something in between anyone agree with my ideal???

Personally, I'd make them come early for a mandatory scrimmage. They all have to switch handedness and hit a kickball that was pitched underhand. The losers have to wash the winners' cars.

I'd also fine EE $100 a homer today for attempting to show up the rest of the team.... There's no hr in team EE......

Jpup
04-20-2008, 04:59 PM

yes it is. :p:

George Anderson
04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I think if it was a good idea then many of the great hitters/students of the game like Ted Williams, Tony Gwynn, Charlie Lau etc.. would have long ago started doing this

HumnHilghtFreel
04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Sounds like stickball in reverse.

Big Klu
04-20-2008, 05:51 PM

I think if it was a good idea then many of the great hitters/students of the game like Ted Williams, Tony Gwynn, Charlie Lau etc.. would have long ago started doing this

I understand where icehole3 is coming from. Basketball players who are struggling with their shooting will sometimes practice/warm up with an oversized ball, so that they really have to concentrate to make their shots. When they switch to the regulation ball, it feels like they are throwing a grapefruit into a bushel basket.

So no, it's not a dumb idea, but I don't think it would work in baseball. Hitting has less to do with the ball than it does with the mechanics of the swing. This is why the batting tee is a useful tool in hitting drills--the ball is not important, but repeating proper mechanics and footwork during the swing is of highest importance.

Spring~Fields
04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
I would have left handers pitch batting practice to the left handed batters routinely.

fearofpopvol1
04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Personally, I'd make them come early for a mandatory scrimmage. They all have to switch handedness and hit a kickball that was pitched underhand. The losers have to wash the winners' cars.

I'd also fine EE $100 a homer today for attempting to show up the rest of the team.... There's no hr in team EE......

but there is me! :cool:

Chip R
04-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm wondering how you are going to make all these specialized balls and how much it's going to cost.

*BaseClogger*
04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm forcing Hopper and Freel to do push-ups every time they hit the ball in the air... :)

knuckler
04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm forcing Hopper and Freel to do push-ups every time they hit the ball in the air... :)

Seriously, Whitey Herzog did something similar with Ozzie Smith. He paid him a dollar every time he hit a ground ball, and Ozzie paid Whitey a dollar every time he hit a fly ball out. Classic behavior modification routine.

BrooklynRedz
04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm wondering how you are going to make all these specialized balls and how much it's going to cost.

Racquetballs are pretty cheap.

When I played Connie Mack, our coach had us practice in a cage with a pitching machine dialed up to 100 spitting old tennis balls. The felt coating would make those balls dip and dive and ride and do just about anything but go straight.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-20-2008, 07:43 PM

Enough pop outs and Norris might muscle up enough to hit a few out of the infield:D

Deepred05
04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Back in my pool playing days, I used to practice on a snooker table, then play on a regular billiards table. Or play on a regulation size billiard table and then play on a bar table. I don't know if it was psychological or what, but I swear those holes would look like twice as big as what they actually were. :eek: I don't think it would help for hitting however, and may even screw up your swing..

RedlegJake
04-21-2008, 12:58 AM
It works in little league. Been there done that. Improved hitting tremendously. But then, in little league you're sharpening a whole 'nuther set of rather elementary skills.

Hollcat
04-21-2008, 11:41 AM

They do make small baseballs. I've seen the local high school team use them, they aren't as small golf balls but certainly smaller than regular baseballs. I've wanted to get one a use it as the shifter ball in my car.

icehole3
04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
See Chip, maybe my ideal isnt so dumb after all

jojo
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Just curious....is it your ideal or your idear? :cool:

klw
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I believe I have heard about players using smaller balls in BP a few years back. Was part of an eyesight building exercise IIRC.

could also use a lacrosse ball

Chip R
04-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Did I say it was dumb?

dabvu2498
04-21-2008, 01:06 PM

$39.95 for four dozen. Plus you get a free bucket.

http://www.baseballexp.com/Baseball-Training-Aids/Training-Balls/Jugs-Bucket-w-4-Dozen-Small-Balls--B5135/baseball/lev/6/productId/5213/No/27/Ne/1100001/parentCatId/72/Nao/27/pCategoryId/8/Ns/CATEGORY_SEQ_72|0/N/36+1100064+33/Nty/1/categoryId/1100064/index.pro

Or go smaller and they're $24.95 a dozen.

http://www.baseballexp.com/Baseball-Training-Aids/Training-Balls/Markwort-Corkball-Dz/baseball/lev/6/productId/141/Ne/1100001/N/36+1100064+33/categoryId/1100064/pCategoryId/8/gpCategoryId/0/parentCatId/72/Ns/CATEGORY_SEQ_72|0/index.pro

OldRightHander
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Is that what people mean by small ball?

Hoosier Red
04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I think it would be useful for some thing like soft toss on the side to have a very small ball(like dense ping pong ball.)
That way a player could focus the eyes on something much smaller than a baseball and build the eyesight a little bit.

icehole3
04-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Did I say it was dumb?

sorry, I was mistaken...do you think it's dumb?

Chip R
04-21-2008, 06:02 PM
sorry, I was mistaken...do you think it's dumb?

No. I think if they would do something like this it would be best suited for indoor practice so you wouldn't have to buy a lot of balls.

I'd like to see them actually hit golf balls out there and see how far they could hit them. ;)