PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Air Card

wojo1025
04-21-2008, 12:51 AM
I am in the market for an Air Card. Any suggestions? What's the best one? What's the best plan? I'm assuming the unlimited usage is the best way to go. Who has the best coverage?

Any help would be wonderful!!

Buckeye33
04-21-2008, 04:29 AM
I am in the market for an Air Card. Any suggestions? What's the best one? What's the best plan? I'm assuming the unlimited usage is the best way to go. Who has the best coverage?

Any help would be wonderful!!

I am currently using a Verizon USB720 here at my work and it works like a charm. It's worked every time I've fired it up and it is quite fast imo. It is much faster than dial up and to me it's not that much slower than my wireless router at home.

The rate I have is $59.99/month for 5000 MB of service. You can get a 50 MB for $39.99 but it's pretty much pointless unless you only get on for like 30 minutes per day.

Just an example: I have used my card for 22 hours total and used 174 MB in about 3 weeks. At no point will I ever get close to 5000 MB. I usually just surf common internet sites and play poker on line with Pokerstars.

I work 3rd shift at a hospital and this wireless card has helped me kill the boring hours quite nicely.

OldRightHander
04-21-2008, 09:04 AM
I have Sprint. The card is the Ovation U727. The speed is decent and I've gone all over the country and had a signal. I like this one because it has a built in GPS receiver that works with most mapping software. I'm paying $60 a month.

Dracodave
04-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I have Sprint. The card is the Ovation U727. The speed is decent and I've gone all over the country and had a signal. I like this one because it has a built in GPS receiver that works with most mapping software. I'm paying $60 a month.

I assume with the 60$ plan thats the unlimited bandwith to do whatever with?

OldRightHander
04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
I assume with the 60$ plan thats the unlimited bandwith to do whatever with?

Yep. I pretty much need unlimited since when I'm not driving I'm online constantly looking for loads. Heck, the computer is online just about 24/7.

wojo1025
04-21-2008, 07:56 PM
So the Sprint one is good? The Verizon one scares me because of the limited usage. I will be using it for work and would hate to get an 'overage' charge

OldRightHander
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
So the Sprint one is good? The Verizon one scares me because of the limited usage. I will be using it for work and would hate to get an 'overage' charge

I've had Sprint for two months and haven't had an extra charge yet.