PDA

View Full Version : Hatteberg to be traded?

AmarilloRed
04-21-2008, 12:33 AM
In his latest "Full Count" audio piece at Fox Sports, Ken Rosenthal expects the Reds to do some roster shuffling that could come down to trades. Scott Hatteberg has become "expendable" with the recent emergence of Joey Votto and by the fact that the Reds have too many lefty hitters.

What could we expect to get for Hatteberg at this point in his career?

Kingspoint
04-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Gee, Ken, ya think?

killuminati35
04-21-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure we would get much for him now. Maybe his value would go towards the middle/end of the season when people are looking for veteran hitters.

ChatterRed
04-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Pittance.

OesterPoster
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Hatteberg would net about the same thing Conine did last year. Something like a minor leaguer who's buried behind quality depth somewhere or just needs a fresh start in a new organization.

CySeymour
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
My guess is it would be basically a salary dump at this point. I wouldn't think that he would net a viable right handed bat for the bench. But, if Wayne can pull that off, I would tip my hat.

Slyder
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
My guess is it would be basically a salary dump at this point. I wouldn't think that he would net a viable right handed bat for the bench. But, if Wayne can pull that off, I would tip my hat.

Didnt think Lohse or Conine would either. Sounds like we got a couple nice spects for them.

CySeymour
04-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Didnt think Lohse or Conine would either. Sounds like we got a couple nice spects for them.

I'll give you Conine, that's a great point. But Lohse was at the point in his career that he still had some upside potential, thus had some value to trade. But hey, if he can get something, anything for Hatte, I would be really happy.

Handofdeath
04-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Tampa Bay has a surplus of starters, that and eating Hatteberg's salary might get it done.

keeganbrick
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
In his latest "Full Count" audio piece at Fox Sports, Ken Rosenthal expects the Reds to do some roster shuffling that could come down to trades. Scott Hatteberg has become "expendable" with the recent emergence of Joey Votto and by the fact that the Reds have too many lefty hitters.

What could we expect to get for Hatteberg at this point in his career?

Hairston on the 25 man roster?

redssouth
04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
People keep talking about eating his salary, his salary is minimal. That is what makes him so tradeable, there is no salary complications, it is simply player for player. I think they could get a low to middle tier prospect if the right trading partner comes along. Hatteburg is a commodity, and its a shame that he didnt get shipped right out of spring when he was hitting really well. With Votto's emergence, barring injury, he just isnt going to get many AB's to get in a groove.

Jack Burton
04-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Should of got rid of him at the deadline last year.

redssouth
04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Should of got rid of him at the deadline last year.

In a perfect world, but at the deadline, Votto was an unknown entity, and Hatteburg was a CHEAP insurance policy for this year. If the Reds fall out of contention he will go for whatever they can get at the deadline this year, or if they are in it, he is a valuable veteran bat off the bench.

Dracodave
04-21-2008, 03:51 PM
In a perfect world, but at the deadline, Votto was an unknown entity, and Hatteburg was a CHEAP insurance policy for this year. If the Reds fall out of contention he will go for whatever they can get at the deadline this year, or if they are in it, he is a valuable veteran bat off the bench.

I wouldnt hold onto Hatte that much longer though, cash him in for either a major league ready player or someone that can help in a year or two.

OesterPoster
04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Keep Hatteberg for 1st base insurance and a lefty bat off the bench and dump Valentin when Ross comes off the DL.

Problem solved.

RSNtransplant
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Keep Hatteberg for 1st base insurance and a lefty bat off the bench and dump Valentin when Ross comes off the DL.

Problem solved.

Given the choice b/t Hatte and Valentin as a pinch hitter off the bench this is a no brainer. Smart post.

redssouth
04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
So that choice is easy you say, but what about Ross vs. Valentin when it appears that Bako is going to be the preffered handler of the pitching staff.

keeganbrick
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Ross does a good job with the staff and clearly has the best arm of the 3. I assume he will reclaim the starters role when he comes back and Bako will play sparingly.

RSNtransplant
04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
So that choice is easy you say, but what about Ross vs. Valentin when it appears that Bako is going to be the preffered handler of the pitching staff.

It would not be an easy choice b/t those two. Could we put them in the matter transfer device from The Fly and combine Valentin's bat with Ross defense?

Hondo
04-21-2008, 11:05 PM
It would not be an easy choice b/t those two. Could we put them in the matter transfer device from The Fly and combine Valentin's bat with Ross defense?

How about this team just Commit to aquiring a Starting Catcher at some Point...

The Platoon Player option is Old...

All 3 are not Solid Starters... I do not care if Bako handles young pitchers well. I do not care that Valentin is a Good Bat off the Bench. Hatte is a good left handed option off the bench. I do not care that Ross can hit some Homers... They all 3 are Back ups at Best.

mlbfan30
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
How about this team just Commit to aquiring a Starting Catcher at some Point...

The Platoon Player option is Old...

All 3 are not Solid Starters... I do not care if Bako handles young pitchers well. I do not care that Valentin is a Good Bat off the Bench. Hatte is a good left handed option off the bench. I do not care that Ross can hit some Homers... They all 3 are Back ups at Best.

The thing is.....
Catchers don't hit in general, so unless it's some type of elite catcher its not worth it. Last year the Reds were 13th in the NL in OPS. Add .075 to it, which really isn't all that much and it's now 3rd. Also remember we had Moeller for awhile and he did nothing.

Valentine is a waste and is worth the cut. But is it worth trading Ross at a low value, then trading for a catcher and giving up young talent? It's too late to really do anything for any substantial upgrade. Sure, it might help a small amount, but its wasting money and wasting future cheap talent.

Ross is a very solid, probably above average catcher and thats where his value is. Bako has been decent so far. A Lefty Righty Platoon should give average offense with average defense for just around 3.5M. Valentine needs to go and I'm hoping Krivsky is smart enough to realize that.