PDA

View Full Version : Reds and EE talking contract extension?

Joseph
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
According to Lance on 1530 Homer.

Anyone else hearing this?

Tom Servo
04-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, Rosenthal had mentioned the Reds were interested in extending him before the season started.

princeton
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
"Well, maybe you should go out and buy a new glove"

"Have you seen the price of those things? Maybe we should talk about my contract"

Ron Madden
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
That's a good thing. :)

Benihana
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I like it.

GoReds
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
"Well, maybe you should go out and buy a new glove"

"Have you seen the price of those things? Maybe we should talk about my contract"

What kinda glove are we talkin'? Outfield glove maybe?

Caveat Emperor
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I like it.

Me too.

Games get boring when your infield makes all the routine plays. :p:

RedsManRick
04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
This would be a great time to buy low on him. Something like 5 and 30 could look real nice.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm in favor of it. I'm not sold that he can't be a third baseman at the big league level. He's got great range over there, he knocks down balls and makes play that a lot of third baseman can't make. It's the easier plays that he usually botches. He made huge strides in that department in the second half of last season but they seem to have returned again this season. Some of his throws are due to poor footwork (like the wild throw home against Arizona) but I think most of them come from a loss of confidence after making an error. The best way for him to regain confidence IMO is continuing to stick him at 3B everyday and showing him the Reds are dead set on him being the 3B. I like the way Dusty has handled him so far. Lord knows Jerry Narron would have benched him two weeks ago.

For all the crap he's gotten lately, his hot bat has gone unnoticed. He's currently on a 10-game hitting streak and is now hitting .258/.378/.484 and is on pace to hit 36 homeruns.

REDREAD
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Not so sure this is a good idea.

On one hand, EdE has a lot of issues keeping his head in the game.

Is EdE going to be able to relax and perform better if given a LTC, or is he just going to relax and put less effort out?

redsfan4445
04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
if the Coaches can get him to stop throwing sidearm when throwing to 1st or home, then they can help fix his throwing mistakes!!

MississippiRed
04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Not so sure this is a good idea.

On one hand, EdE has a lot of issues keeping his head in the game.

Is EdE going to be able to relax and perform better if given a LTC, or is he just going to relax and put less effort out?

This is the question of the day. I like Edwin about as much as anyone. I thought he was going to have a breakout year, but I don't know which of these is more likely. Just hopin' that it's the first alternative.

Ron Madden
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM

I've heard and read that nobody works harder than Edwin.

I really don't think effort is the reason for his inconsistency.

fearofpopvol1
04-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't know that I love it. It seems like Frazier is on the fast track and he projects to be a 3B. If the plan is to let Dunn Walk and move EdE to the outfield, then it makes sense, but if the plan is to keep him at 3B, I don't know that I love the idea of extending him for too long unless it's an absolute bargain.

Benihana
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I don't know that I love it. It seems like Frazier is on the fast track and he projects to be a 3B. If the plan is to let Dunn Walk and move EdE to the outfield, then it makes sense, but if the plan is to keep him at 3B, I don't know that I love the idea of extending her for too long unless it's an absolute bargain.

I would at least try to buy out his arb years. At that point, you could make a decision on him/Dunn/Frazier.

TRF
04-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I'd lock him up quick. I said before the season started EE would be the Reds best overall hitter. He's close right now.

coachw513
04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Can we give his bat the extension and pass on the glove??

In all seriousness, the numbers obviously will tell if it's a good idea or not, but he's gonna hit...and I think when it's all said and done he's gonna hit really, really well in this park for this LH dominated lineup...

I've been intrigued by Dusty's constant refrain of how much EE cares, how hard he works and how much EE is bothered by making mistakes...probably making too much of it, but Dusty could simply not say these things if they weren't true...so if they are, it speaks to the fact that first EE is working to get better, and more importantly that he's finally playing for a manager that's gonna let him grow into who he is every day without fear of being replaced or sent down...

I've always wondered how EE's growth would've been helped by having a Larkin around, someone who not only could mentor him, but do so in his native Latin language...EE seems like a guy who could really use a Tony Perez or a Larkin sitting by him every day helping him grow...much as (apparently) Soto has been a huge asset for Cueto and Volquez...

BuckeyeRedleg
04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
I could see EE playing LF in the not too distant future.

Benihana
04-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Can we give his bat the extension and pass on the glove??

In all seriousness, the numbers obviously will tell if it's a good idea or not, but he's gonna hit...and I think when it's all said and done he's gonna hit really, really well in this park for this LH dominated lineup...

I've been intrigued by Dusty's constant refrain of how much EE cares, how hard he works and how much EE is bothered by making mistakes...probably making too much of it, but Dusty could simply not say these things if they weren't true...so if they are, it speaks to the fact that first EE is working to get better, and more importantly that he's finally playing for a manager that's gonna let him grow into who he is every day without fear of being replaced or sent down...

I've always wondered how EE's growth would've been helped by having a Larkin around, someone who not only could mentor him, but do so in his native Latin language...EE seems like a guy who could really use a Tony Perez or a Larkin sitting by him every day helping him grow...much as (apparently) Soto has been a huge asset for Cueto and Volquez...

Does Larkin speak Spanish?

TRF
04-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Does Larkin speak Spanish?

fluently.

Will M
04-21-2008, 04:15 PM

I would LOVE IT if EE moved to left and Kep takes over at 3rd.
Dunn is horrible in left. EE's problems at 3rd are his throws and I suspect he would be fine in left. Kep's issue at SS is poor range. He is a fine at 2B or 3B.

Then replace Jr with Bruce and we have upgraded FOUR positions defensively.

the offensive loss would be Bruce replacing Griffey and Gonzalez replacing Dunn. targets for the Dunn & jr trades are a catcher who can hit & a centerfielder who can hit.

RedsManRick
04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I would LOVE IT if EE moved to left and Kep takes over at 3rd.
Dunn is horrible in left. EE's problems at 3rd are his throws and I suspect he would be fine in left. Kep's issue at SS is poor range. He is a fine at 2B or 3B.

Then replace Jr with Bruce and we have upgraded FOUR positions defensively.

the offensive loss would be Bruce replacing Griffey and Gonzalez replacing Dunn. targets for the Dunn & jr trades are a catcher who can hit & a centerfielder who can hit.

Which makes Matt Kemp a perfect target.

SirFelixCat
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I like it.

REDREAD
04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I've heard and read that nobody works harder than Edwin.

I really don't think effort is the reason for his inconsistency.

Well for whatever reason, he falls into huge funks.

Maybe the Reds management has put too much pressure on him. I was hoping with Dusty here, the fear of being sent to AAA after every mistake would go away, and he'd be more relaxed and perform better.

His hitting is coming around, so hopefully his defense will too.

I just see signing him longterm as a bit risky. The Reds should still look into it though, but it's a tough call. He could either become a solid player or go Willie Greene on us.

reds44
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I have zero problem buying out his arby years, and maybe a year or two into free agency with options.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up in LF or 1B (with Votto in LF) next year. That's assuming he doesn't improve his defense.

Falls City Beer
04-21-2008, 05:11 PM

I could too.

pedro
04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I will see EE playing LF in the not too distant future.

fixed that for you

WMR
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't see Edwin as being a difficult contract to move at all.

BRM
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
What do you guys consider the "not too distant future"? This July? 2009?

reds44
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
What do you guys consider the "not too distant future"? This July? 2009?
Whenever Dunn is not a Redleg anymore.

So depending how the Reds are looking this year, either could be correct. 09 Opening Day at the latest, IMO.

lollipopcurve
04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Which makes Matt Kemp a perfect target.

LA won't deal him.

TRF
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
LA won't deal him.

Torre won't play him either.