PDA

View Full Version : love to see the Reds go after Matt Kemp

redsfan4445
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
With the future not clear about the outfield after 2008 (JR and Dunn looking at Free Agency), I think a huge upgrade in the outfield along with Jay Bruce would be Matt Kemp. For some reason the Dodgers Joe Torre wont play him and I think if he was with the Reds he would rake at GABP!!! I am glad the Reds have not extended Dunn.. if he struggles all year in his so-called walk year, then the Reds need to try and trade for Kemp.. if the Reds do well and can get Jr to resign after his 4 mil by out for say 8 million (he would have 12 million), then with Jr, Bruce and Kemp in the outfield, thats a way better outfield than with Dunn and non-hitting Patterson/Freel/Hopper tandem

Anyway just curious what others thought. There are no real big names on the Free agent list that would come here that are young (only Dunn, Wily Mo and Patterson are under 30yrs of age on the list)

any thoughts of a package to get him from the Dodgers?

ramp101
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Cueto or Bailey or someone cool like that

flyer85
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
any thoughts of a package to get him from the Dodgers?I would think it would be costly ... even if Torre isn't bright enough to understand how much better he is than Juan Pierre.

lollipopcurve
04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
No way the Dodgers deal Kemp. Young, middle-of-the-order hitters don't get traded unless there's a surplus of sorts and the team has a glaring need (see Reds, Hamilton). Dodgers don't have that surplus or that need.

fearofpopvol1
04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I'd think Bailey would be the asking price, possibly more.

lollipopcurve
04-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I'd think Bailey would be the asking price, possibly more.

They've got Kershaw in the minors, a pitching prospect who may be more highly regarded than Bailey. And other arms. Dealing Kemp blows a hole in the middle of their order (one that would be far more expensive than Kemp to fill). It just won't happen, in my opinion.

Spring~Fields
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Cueto or Bailey or someone cool like that

I agree and with the small sample size of game started to date it is uncertain whether the Reds have any really good starting pitching other than Harang.

Promising starters yes, but not proven yet, the team still has to see if Arroyo improves or fades, if Belisle, Cueto and Volquez can cut it for a whole season. Seems like it is too soon to be trading potentially good pitching.