PDA

View Full Version : Monday April 21st minor league updates

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Louisville is off tonight.

Chattanooga plays at 7:15 with Ramon Ramirez pitching.

Sarasota plays at 7:00 with Camilo Vazquez pitching.

Dayton also plays at 7:00 with Scott Carroll making the start.

dougdirt
04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
We have a Zach Cozart sighting in Dayton. Starting at SS.

Todd Frazier starting at 1B.

dougdirt
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
A triple led to a run being scored on a wild pitch with 2 outs against Scott Carroll.

Dayton trails 1-0 early.

dougdirt
04-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Scott Carroll having control issues. 3 walks this inning and 2 wild pitches already.

Aronchis
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Carroll makes Homer look like a superstar even though they are the same age and Bailey can't k anybody in AAA, man is he bad.

reds44
04-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Carroll makes Homer look like a superstar even though they are the same age and Bailey can't k anybody in AAA, man is he bad.
You turned on Bailey really, really fast.

Aronchis
04-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I am not that down on Homer, but his inability to develope his secondary pitches has gotten annoying. I never was overly worried about command or velocity with him because I figured it was injury related and things became unhinged last year. I figure he will be throwing even harder in a month.

But he hasn't improved anything else since he has been in the Reds system. That is a lack of effort to do so IMO. It is showing in his AAA numbers just getting by because those AAA guys can't turn easily on your 4 seamer. Blah.

dougdirt
04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I am not that down on Homer, but his inability to develope his secondary pitches has gotten annoying. I never was overly worried about command or velocity with him because I figured it was injury related and things became unhinged last year. I figure he will be throwing even harder in a month.

But he hasn't improved anything else since he has been in the Reds system. That is a lack of effort to do so IMO. It is showing in his AAA numbers just getting by because those AAA guys can't turn easily on your 4 seamer. Blah.

Have you watched him throw this year outside of spring?

redhawk61
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM

You obviously haven't seen his new slider. It is looking good. I could care less about K's, "They're boring, and besides that they're fascist!" As long as he is throwing strikes and keeping the ball down, I will be happy, and thus far he has been doing so.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Craig Tatum is 1-for-1 with a 3-run homerun to give Chattanooga a 3-0 lead.

Ramirez: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

11larkin11
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Am I the only one wondering about the Frazier to first move? Just for the best guys to play in Dayton or an actual attempt to find him a position?

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Ramirez: 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K

Superdude
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Am I the only one wondering about the Frazier to first move? Just for the best guys to play in Dayton or an actual attempt to find him a position?

I would think first base would be a last resort. I doubt they would permanently move him there already.

Aronchis
04-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Frazier has really fallen off.

HBP
04-21-2008, 10:16 PM

I'd guess just to get the best players in the lineup. Cozart is supposed to be very talented defensively.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 10:19 PM

I didn't expect him to hit .440 all year. Did you?

Aronchis
04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I didn't expect him to hit .440 all year. Did you?

Nope, but I didn't expect him(maybe Waring) to just collapse like that.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Nope, but I didn't expect him(maybe Waring) to just collapse like that.

Collapse? It's called a slump. Everybody goes through them.

PuffyPig
04-21-2008, 10:24 PM
I am not that down on Homer.......

You don't think that calling a 21 year old (third youngest player in AAA) who's sporting an ERA in the low ones a AAAA player as being "not that down on him"?

You don't think......

Oh that's it.

Aronchis
04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
You don't think that calling a 21 year old (third youngest player in AAA) who's sporting an ERA in the low ones a AAAA player as being "not that down on him"?

You don't think......

Oh that's it.

I said he was "looking like it" from a numbers perspective. Hopefully his breaking ball gets going and he starts knocking them down. But 26I 19H 16K stuff is what I would be seeing from Shearn or Lehr. Not Bailey.

If the Reds are telling him to throw a certain way early on this season, they need to scrap it and let him go full bore. We can't afford to be patient anymore.

Benihana
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I said he was "looking like it" from a numbers perspective. Hopefully his breaking ball gets going and he starts knocking them down. But 26I 19H 16K stuff is what I would be seeing from Shearn or Lehr. Not Bailey.

If the Reds are telling him to throw a certain way early on this season, they need to scrap it and let him go full bore. We can't afford to be patient anymore.

We can't? Why not? He's 21 years old.

PuffyPig
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM

He's 21.

He has years left to develop.

And who's "we"?

Aronchis
04-21-2008, 10:38 PM
He's 21.

He has years left to develop.

And who's "we"?

Actually, he turns 22 in 2 weeks.

Sorry, I should have said "Reds".

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 10:39 PM

Which means he's 21, like PP said.

Benihana
04-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Point being? He's still the same age as most of the pitchers that are going to be first round picks in June. Would you be saying that "we can't afford to be patient anymore" with Brian Matusz if he wasn't pitching in the majors by July?

PuffyPig
04-21-2008, 10:51 PM

Well, he turns 26 in 5 years, but that doesn't make him 26, does it. He's 21.

That's a fact Jack!!!!

Schilling was 26 when he developed into a viable major league pitcher, Randy Johnson was 27.

I'll repeat, Bailey is 21.

He's doing exactly what you would want any 21 year old pitcher to do, especially one who's years ahead of the usual development schedule for a pitcher. Work on your weaknesses, which for Bailey is his secondary pitches and his control. He's having great success with that in AAA.

Yet, you seem to think he should desperately try and start loading up on fastballs because of a desperate attempt to get strikeouts to serve no useful purpose.

You may live on some planet that says that 21 is a make it or break it year for pitchers. But it's a lonely planet.

Nuff said.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Roenicke: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K's for his third save. Chattanooga wins 5-3.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Valaika: 2-for-5 double, 2 RBI
Stubbs: 1-for-4 double

Sarasota won 8-4.

PuffyPig
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Roenicke: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K's for his third save. Chattanooga wins 5-3.

He's too old, forget him.;)

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Dayton is winning 10-1 in the 8th.

Frazier: 2-for-5 double, 2 RBI
Waring: 1-for-4 double, walk
Reed: 1-for-2 single, 2 walks, 2 SB

Carroll: 4 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 2 K

Jeffords: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
He's too old, forget him.;)

He'll probably tire out by August.

as I type this Votto hits a HR onto the Riverboat deck. Wow. A Dunn-esque shot.

PuffyPig
04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
He'll probably tire out by August.

as I type this Votto hits a HR onto the Riverboat deck. Wow. A Dunn-esque shot.

Votto is just another Casey, so I hear.

BearcatShane
04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
What are Roenicke's numbers this year?

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
What are Roenicke's numbers this year?

8.1 IP, 8 H, 0 HR, 4 BB, 9 K, 2.16 ERA

Benihana
04-21-2008, 11:11 PM

With a lot more power.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM

He just may surpass Casey's career high of 25 homeruns in his rookie season. I predicted Votto to hit 22-25 homeruns this year if given 500 atbats but he may hit 25-30 the way he's hitting right now.

REDblooded
04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I understand that quoting somebody makes it easier to respond to them, but when you quote Aroncris, it completely eliminates the ignore feature. That is the only thing that is allowing me to continue reading the minor league updates threads, which outside of 1 mans opinions, are usually full of great information.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Dayton won 10-3.

PuffyPig
04-21-2008, 11:23 PM
He just may surpass Casey's career high of 25 homeruns in his rookie season. I predicted Votto to hit 22-25 homeruns this year if given 500 atbats but he may hit 25-30 the way he's hitting right now.

I was actually being sarcastic,based on a number of posts on Redszone. I think Votto has way more power than Casey.

*BaseClogger*
04-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I understand that quoting somebody makes it easier to respond to them, but when you quote Aroncris, it completely eliminates the ignore feature. That is the only thing that is allowing me to continue reading the minor league updates threads, which outside of 1 mans opinions, are usually full of great information.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I was actually being sarcastic,based on a number of posts on Redszone. I think Votto has way more power than Casey.

Oh I knew you were being sarcastic. :)

Ga_Red
04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks, REDblooded,
Your observation about quoting this poster
having the effect of negating the ignore button
is right on, and is a huge turn off to reading
these otherwise great threads.

lo ryder
04-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Could someone please remind me who started for Cedar Rapids against the Dragons. I watched him in the bullpen and he looked pretty good, but the Dragons couldnt touch him. Thankfully he was taken out of the game fairly early.

BigRed07
04-22-2008, 01:05 AM
In typical Reds fashion one Sarasota middle infielder was sent to AA today. Any guesses? Valaika and Turner
are putting together solid numbers at the plate. So if you guessed DeJesus you got it right.

Screwball
04-22-2008, 01:22 AM

Frazier: 2-for-5 double, 2 RBI

:lol:

No offense, Aronchis, but I've never seen anybody's predictions/analysis to be as consistently wrong as yours. Unfortunately, you're smart enough to not bet to buy the board a round of drinks. ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Chattanooga: Lookouts win 5-3; two go up to AAA

By: David Paschall
(Contact)

When Mobile pitching coach Jeff Pico makes a visit to the mound with two out in the first inning at AT&T Field, it’s a good sign for the home folks.

The Chattanooga Lookouts struck for four first-inning runs Monday night and made them stand in a 5-3 victory that evened their Southern League series at a game apiece. Craig Tatum highlighted the opening surge against BayBears starter Hector Ambriz with a three-run home run off the scoreboard in left field.

“That gave us something we haven’t done, because we haven’t put together multiple-run innings a whole lot this year,” Lookouts manager Mike Goff said. “We had some opportunities, and I thought our guys came out and made their guy work a lot in the first inning. We made him throw strikes, which is something we’ve been preaching to these guys.”

Monday’s outcome left each team with a 9-9 record.

Following the game, Lookouts infielder Luis Bolivar and relief pitcher Justin Mallett were promoted to Class AAA Louisville. Bolivar capped the scoring in the seventh inning with a double down the left-field line that brought home Shaun Cumberland.

Bolivar is the only team member to play in all 18 games and leads the Lookouts in at-bats (72), hits (22) and runs scored (13). His .306 average is an improvement over the .297 he hit in 109 games with the Lookouts a year ago and the .274 he hit in 109 games with the Lookouts in 2006.

In 13 games with Louisville at the end of last season, Bolivar hit .262.

“I feel a lot more confident in myself this time, especially with the way I played at spring training and the start I’ve gotten here,” Bolivar said. “I feel confident, but I know I’ll still have to work hard.”

The loss of Bolivar, who at 27 was the oldest position player on the roster, admittedly leaves Goff looking for that next team leader.

“Bolivar is a class act and a true professional,” Goff said. “If you had 24 Bolivars, you wouldn’t have any problems as a manager. His departure is going to create a void, but hopefully for a short period of time.”

Replacing Bolivar and Mallett will be infielder Michael DeJesus and reliever Mike Hrynio, who pitched last year with West Tenn.

Mallett began the season in the rotation but was moved to the bullpen after one start. Taking his place was Ramon Ramirez, who racked up five strikeouts in the first three innings Monday and did not allow a hit until John Hester’s one-out double to center in the fifth.

Hester scored, aided by a wild pitch, and Ramirez opened the sixth by giving up singles to center by Bryan Byrne and Cesar Nicolas, each of whom scored to make it 4-3.

“Coming out of spring training, the innings he had pitched in a game was two,” pitching coach Chris Bosio said. “The conditioning and the arm strength comes into play, and he got a little tired and admitted that, but he gave us a very good performance and is improving on a lot of stuff.”

Ramirez showed his stuff at the plate in the second inning, lasting 12 pitches against Ambriz before flying out to shallow right-center. The Lookouts could not take advantage as Ambriz regrouped to allow just three hits after his disastrous first inning.

“It was good to finally get ahead, but we shouldn’t have let that pitcher last six,” Tatum said. “We had him on the ropes early, and we should have knocked him out then. We got overconfident and started swinging at his pitches and not ours.”

James Avery (0-0, 5.52 ERA) is scheduled to start tonight’s 7:15 matchup for the Lookouts, with Matt Torra (2-0, 0.47) scheduled for Mobile.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/apr/22/chattanooga-lookouts-win-5-3-two-go-aaa/

OnBaseMachine
04-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Feiner sparks rally in late innings
Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

DAYTON — On a day all the pregame talk was about the parent Reds dropping a second potential major-league shortstop on the Dragons, second baseman Kevyn Feiner stole the spotlight.

It was Feiner's hit and continuance to third on two errors that brought home the second of three runs in the sixth inning of a 10-3 victory by the Dragons over the Cedar Rapids Kernels, Monday, April 21, in front of 7,944 at Fifth Third Field.

Feiner also knocked in another run in the seventh inning for the Dragons when they scored seven more times to break a three-game losing streak.

"When you're not going good, you try to think back to the times when you were doing well," Feiner said. "I thought back to spring training."

Feiner's two hits raised his batting average to .256. In his last five games, he is hitting .400 (8-for-20).

"I wanted to keep things going, especially in front of all these fans," Feiner said.

It came on the day Zack Cozart returned to the Dragons from extended spring training, where he was testing his arm from shoulder surgery following last season, when he joined the Dragons after being drafted by the Reds out of the University of Mississippi in the second round.

Todd Frazier, another shortstop, was taken just ahead of Cozart, as an extra pick in the first round, out of Rutgers. Frazier played the last week of the season at Dayton and has been the regular shortstop this season.

Still, there has been talk of moving Frazier with the Reds' organization loaded at the position, and with Cozart here, now was the chance.

Frazier played first base Monday, and will play elsewhere, too.

"Frazier will play some first and some third," Dragons manager Donnie Scott said. "I'm trying to get clearance to play him in the outfield."

Scott would also like to play third baseman Brandon Waring and usual first baseman Michael McKennon in the outfield, and Waring some at first.

Meanwhile, Cozart, in deference to his surgery, will play shortstop 3-4 days in a row, then DH a day. That means Frazier isn't done at that position, either.

"We want guys to be versatile," Scott said. "We want to give (Reds manager Dusty Baker) a chance to play guys at other positions. I think it's a great thing. Our job is to give them the pieces of the puzzle, and they put it together."

To make room for Cozart, the Dragons sent second baseman Jake Kahaulelio back to extended spring training.

Also Monday, reliever Jeremy Horst was named Midwest League pitcher of the week, throwing six scoreless innings with one hit, a walk and 11 strikeouts.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2008/04/21/ddn042208spdragons2.html