PDA

View Full Version : Edwin on his Defense

reds44
04-22-2008, 06:48 PM
From Trent

Edwin Encarnacion was on the field early Tuesday, taking extra fielding practice.

Although Encarnacion's bat has come around -- he's got a career-high 11-game hitting streak going and has raised his average to .273 with a team-leading five home runs -- he's also made a team-high six errors, the same number of errors made by the rest of the team combined.

"He's working with Chris on his first step, balance and rhythm," Baker said. "Defense is timing just like offense is timing. Edwin's made some outstanding plays. Chris put in some work in Chicago with Aramis Ramirez. If you're willing to put in the work, Chris will go with you. Offense is fun, but defense is work. When you work, you can get better. (Encarnacion) works hard."

Encarnacion said he's not happy with his fielding, and is determined to put in the work to improve.

"Before every home night game, I'm trying to do something different and work and get better," Encarnacion said. "Even when you're doing good, you have to keep working. I don't feel like right now with six errors, I don't feel good with that. I'm not thinking about that, I'm just working on my defense and keep working to get better."

Encarnacion even had a bit of bad luck in Monday night's loss. On a hard grounder by the Dodgers' Jeff Kent, Encarnacion dove to his right to stop the ball and went to his knees to make a throw. However, the ball got stuck in the webbing of his glove.

Encarnacion said that'd never happened to him before. He had the glove's webbing tightened before Tuesday's game in hopes that it wouldn't happen again.

WMR
04-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I wish he'd stop throwing sidearm to first base. That seems like something that should be corrected fairly easily.

RedsManRick
04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I wish he'd stop throwing sidearm to first base. That seems like something that should be corrected fairly easily.

That's something often borne out of poor footwork. He's not getting his feet underneath him, which forces him to drop his arm slot to get enough power on the throw.

WMR
04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
That's something often borne out of poor footwork. He's not getting his feet underneath him, which forces him to drop his arm slot to get enough power on the throw.

Good point.

wheels
04-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Didn't he play shortstop in the minors starting out?

Could his throwing issues have something to do with the different angle at third?

It's just something I was thinking about watching him live on Sunday. He kinda still throws like a shortstop.

Far East
04-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Encarnacion dove to his right to stop the ball and went to his knees to make a throw. However, the ball got stuck in the webbing of his glove.

Always heard that rule #1 about infielders' gloves was that the "web" should be solid leather, not like an outfielders "woven" or "mesh" looking web.

Reds Freak
04-22-2008, 07:48 PM

Throwing sidearm from third isn't a bad thing. It's the natural flow of motion from fielding a ground ball with your momentum taking you to first to throw from a lower arm angle. It gets you out of whack if you field a ball and have to stop and throw straight over the top. A lot of times with some runners you don't have time at third to field a ball on the ground and come all the way to the top to make the throw...

membengal
04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
The good news is that he's apparently willing to work on it and work hard at getting better. Frankly, that's all any fan could ask in the short term. He's got natural athleticism and really has the tools to be a good third baseman. Hope the work pays off. He sure is able to make the occasional spectacular play. Here's hoping the routine ones actually start to become a little more routine.

redsmetz
04-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Didn't he play shortstop in the minors starting out?

Could his throwing issues have something to do with the different angle at third?

It's just something I was thinking about watching him live on Sunday. He kinda still throws like a shortstop.

He's had very limited playing time anywhere but 3rd Base.

In 2002 at Dayton, he played 17 games out of 133 games at shortstop. There he had 7 errors at SS out of a total of 40 for the season.

In 2003 at Chattanooga, he played 2 games at Shortstop out of a total of 64 at AA (he played 57 games at High A Potomac at the season's start). He made two errors in those two games out of 23 total at AA that season.

Since then, he played four games at 1st Base in 2006 - two at Louisville and two here in Cincy.

MississippiRed
04-23-2008, 10:16 AM
The good news is that he's apparently willing to work on it and work hard at getting better. Frankly, that's all any fan could ask in the short term. He's got natural athleticism and really has the tools to be a good third baseman. Hope the work pays off. He sure is able to make the occasional spectacular play. Here's hoping the routine ones actually start to become a little more routine.

This is exactly right, Mem. EdE makes plays over there that most 3B won't even sniff. But hit a two-hopper right to him and it's an adventure.

I am so pleased with Dusty's handling of Edwin. I'm giving him (Dusty) credit even though he may have been in a position where he didn't feel he had any choice. Now about those lineups . . .

WebScorpion
04-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Dude needs ballet lessons...his footwork is sloth-like. :rolleyes:

REDREAD
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Yes, I heard Dusty on the radio talking about EdE (I think that's where these article quotes came from, unless Dusty was repeating himself).

Great to see EdE with a great attitude. I was hoping Dusty would bring out the best in EdE. IMO, the Reds handled EdE wrong with the constant benching and optioning him as "punishment" every time he did something wrong. Poor people handling. That's why managers like Dusty make the big bucks. Handling a situation like EdE is more important than lineup optimization, IMO.

Hoosier Red
04-23-2008, 06:58 PM

The bad news is he's been working on it for three years.
Few doubt whether he wants to do it, many doubt whether he can actually do it.

membengal
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Not with Chris Speier, I don't think. Dusty made a big point about how Speier helped turn around Aramis Ramirez in Chicago, after he was just brutal at 3b in Pittsburgh....