PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hairston Jr appreciation thread

Tom Servo
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Not a game thread, just a thread appreciating what Hairston has done in his tenure as a Red. :cool:

reds44
04-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I'll take some more bad routes in CF for some hits. He's definatley provided the spark the Reds needed.

WMR
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
You've found your new Jorge Cantu.

(BTW: Tonight's performance has probably guaranteed Hairston at least 3 weeks of PT)

redsfan4445
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
he keeps hitting like that why only three weeks????

??

WMR
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM

??

I'm saying, he could pull a Patterson for the next 2-3 weeks and still keep living off this opening game performance.

reds44
You've found your new Jorge Cantu.

(BTW: Tonight's performance has probably guaranteed Hairston at least 3 weeks of PT)
Say hello to your new everyday CF and leadoff man, until he starts sucking (which I am sure he will).

He did more tonight than Castro did all season.

RedFanAlways1966
So far, so good. However, I remember the spectacular 1st game back for Neon Deion in 2001. I am taking nothing for granted! ;)

OnBaseMachine
Nice night with the bat but I hope we never see him in CF again.

Always Red
What do we always say here about small sample size?? ;)

WMR
(as long as he gets a bat on the ball and avoids those ugly strikeouts!!) :laugh:

HumnHilghtFreel

??

Because after looking at his career numbers, I'm going to say he doesn't keep hitting like that.

Great game tonight though, just what this team needed

BCubb2003
04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
So far, so good. However, I remember the spectacular 1st game back for Neon Deion in 2001. I am taking nothing for granted! ;)

That was definitely a strange moment in time.

Joseph
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
We have an appreciation thread for the guy everyone [including me] hated the signing of back in spring training?

Whats the world coming to?

redsfan4445
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
why jinx him??? its nice to see a spark in this lineup.. he is healthy for the 1st time in 2 years!! and he is on fire with the bat.. i hope he doesnt stop hitting.. i want to see this team win, not want players to fail..and everytime somebody hits.. a forum comment is always, "well it wont last" etc... im thinking positive

Reds Freak
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Even Jason Ramano had a few good games in CF...

Spring~Fields
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I know that he put a smile on my face and a glow in my heart. :luvu::lol::lol:

mbgrayson
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Aside from his Reds debut, Hairiston has been great at Louisville.

Jerry Hairston Jr., age 31, is your current batting leader in the International League. His current line is .421/.450/.721 for an OPS of 1.222. He has one steal in two tries. Certainly this is due to small sample size....at least to some degree.

However, Hairston has hit 3 HRs, 7 doubles, and 2 triples in 57 ABs in Louisville this year.

Might this be another Keppinger situation where WK has picked up a strong player for nothing? Supposedly Jerry has been playing hurt the last few years. We shall see how long his hot hitting continues.

Spring~Fields
04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
He said that he hadn't been healthy for two years. Perhaps he is now, wouldn't that be sweet. :)

KoryMac5
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Lil' Jr. may exceed some expectations, I know during some ST and minor league interviews he has stated he is healthy for the first time in years. Let's ride this wave for the time being.

RedlegJake
04-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I've been saying this for a couple weeks - get him up here. He's a vet and he's riding a hot bat - and with a veteran player that is likely to carry over. With a rookie you have no idea.

You play him until he cools off. If he truly has turned a corner because of poor health the past couple seasons that's great but its something he'll have to prove to me by hitting over a long period.

One thing's for sure - he's sparked the team tonight.

jojo
04-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Might this be another Keppinger situation where WK has picked up a strong player for nothing?

No.

jojo
04-22-2008, 10:18 PM
11 seasons in the bigs,,,,,,,, .253/.324/.357 Injury indeed.

klw
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Even Jason Ramano had a few good games in CF...

Was it really necesary to remind us of him?

RedFanAlways1966
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
The 2001 return of Deion Sanders has been mentioned as a "do not too excited too soon" about the great 1st game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200105010.shtml

Some parallels... :p:

* Deion's game (like Hairston) was against the LA Dodgers.
* Deion had multiple hits... one extra base-hit and the rest singles (like Hairston).
* Deion had three RBIs in the game (like Hairston).
* Deion stole one base (3rd). Hairston stole 3rd base.

One more thing...
* One of Deion's hits was a HR... off (starter) Eric Gagne. Almost 7 years later Gagne gave up two HRs (Edwin/Bako) on a Cincinnati mound.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-22-2008, 11:01 PM
4 hits, 3 RBI.. Thanks for the spark, Jerry

Caveat Emperor
04-22-2008, 11:06 PM
LOUISVILLE (AP) - Cincinnati Reds farmhand Jerry Hairston Jr. was found in his Louisville-area apartment today, bound and gagged with duct tape in the bathroom. Police were dispatched to the area after neighbors complained of banging and loud noises in the apartment that should have been empty. Jerry Hairston Jr. was supposed to have flown to Cincinnati yesterday after being called up by the parent Reds team.

In what is being described as an unrelated story, fellow Louisville Bat Jay Bruce has not been seen in 2 days.

Spring~Fields
04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
LOUISVILLE (AP) - Cincinnati Reds farmhand Jerry Hairston Jr. was found in his Louisville-area apartment today, bound and gagged with duct tape in the bathroom. Police were dispatched to the area after neighbors complained of banging and loud noises in the apartment that should have been empty. Jerry Hairston Jr. was supposed to have flown to Cincinnati yesterday after being called up by the parent Reds team.

In what is being described as an unrelated story, fellow Louisville Bat Jay Bruce has not been seen in 2 days.

:devil::lol:

RedlegJake
04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
11 seasons in the bigs,,,,,,,, .253/.324/.357 Injury indeed.

Agree with you jojo BUT it would be really helpful and not outlandish to see Jerry put up a career year.... say .293/.364/.407 good enough to help but not especially remarkable - but then I fear they'd extend him and "old" Jerry would sure be back next season to balance the statistical scales.

KronoRed
04-23-2008, 12:29 AM
He should retire now and go down in glory

Chip R
04-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Trade him while he still has value. ;)

fearofpopvol1
04-23-2008, 01:58 AM
I see zero reason to not ride the hot bat. Let him hit while he's hitting.

gm
04-23-2008, 03:50 AM
I'm shocked (shocked I tell you) that this thread has extended to a 3rd page!

Hairston Jr's wearing #15, and we all should know what that means by now...the curse of "Foster not getting his uniform # retired" will do Jerry in

Wheelhouse
04-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Watch it! Remember a player who does not have the potential to hit 40HRs is utterly worthless.

membengal
04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
It was just a pleasant change of pace to see the leadoff guy get on base. This team could use more of that going forward.

bucksfan2
04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
I was at the game last night and was impressed with Hariston. He hit the ball hard and got on base. I like it how whenever someone has a good night there are always people to put us who get excited back in our place. But if you take Hariston's previous couple of years before he was injured, yes injuries really do effect the way a player plays, he could really help the reds. The only thing I didn't like about him was the route that he took on the double that scored the Dodgers first run. Patterson catches that ball, but I doubt Freel or Hopper do.

lollipopcurve
04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
You can tell Hairston is locked in -- I think you could even see it in his PH appearance on Monday. He is a far better hitter than Ryan Freel at this point in their careers, in my opinion, and he should be in there while he's swinging well -- moving around the diamond, spelling different guys. Very nice AB vs Broxton to get his 4th hit last night.

RichRed
04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Hairston is already halfway to Phillips' season RBI total.

Spring~Fields
04-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Hairston is already halfway to Phillips' season RBI total.

Phillips just doesn't seem to wear cleanup batter very well, it just doesn't look good on Phillips.

KronoRed
04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Trade him while he still has value. ;)

Nah lets give him a 3 year deal.

reds44
04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Dude has yet to stop hitting.

Will M
05-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Hairston has been a nice suprise this season.
Is it that he has been healthy or just lucky?
Why the sudden turn around at age 31?
He certainly looks good at the plate. And he has a lot better smarts on the bases than Freel.

Defensively he is a natural 2B. He has been filling in at SS but really doesn't seem to be more than an emergency SS. What do people think of his defense in the outfield? Whats wrong with Dunn-Bruce-Hairston in the outfield?
Also I am curious - can he play 3B?

flyer85
05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Phillips just doesn't seem to wear cleanup batter very well, it just doesn't look good on Phillips.it's because he can't hit RH pitching very well.

flyer85
05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Dude has yet to stop hitting.but his track record says he will. His track record isn't terribly different than Bako.

Kc61
05-31-2008, 12:23 AM
but his track record says he will. His track record isn't terribly different than Bako.

Another big game tonight for Hairston.

fearofpopvol1
05-31-2008, 02:28 AM
Hairston's bat has been pretty ridiculous. I don't expect it to continue, but again, ride that hot bat. He's done a pretty nice job offensively filling in for Kepp, at least thus far.

I never really thought of him as much of a base stealer, but 10/12 ain't too shabby.

Blitz Dorsey
05-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Watch Janish start today now that Hairston is really hot.

RedlegJake
05-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Hairston was named in the steroid investigation, which he of course denied, but I just want to make the wry observation that if its true then he is perhaps the first athlete that has remarkably improved performance sans enhancement.

GAC
05-31-2008, 11:50 AM
but his track record says he will. His track record isn't terribly different than Bako.

So you take advantage of while we can and play them. Lets not worry about the past or what they might regress to (future). The only reason that Hairston is playing is not because this organization sees him as a regular (he wasn't acquired for that purpose); but because he was thrust into service due to key injuries to Gonzo and then Keppinger.

I'll take him over Castro. ;)

toledodan
05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
i don't know about jerry's past but its been stated this is the first time he's been health for a while. he's done nothing but hit since he's been called up. it will be interesting to see what happens when keppinger is ready to go. if hariston is still hitting and EE is still being EE then dusty will have to make a decision. right now besides the great play every now and then EE is giving us nothing.

Tom Servo
07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Hairston has continued to be quite a solid little pickup for us this year.

Will M
07-01-2008, 01:39 PM
1. my current favorite Red

2. if he continues to play well I would like him back again next year as a utility guy. I suspect we could get him for less than other teams because he has found success and hopefully a comfort zone here

3. question. since he signed a one year minor league deal what is his status at the end of 2008. i am assuming he is a free agent. right?

princeton
07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
2. if he continues to play well I would like him back again next year

if he continues to play well, he should really be traded.

fearofpopvol1
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM

I agree...especially if he can bring a return.

He's having a really great year with the Reds, but he's not part of the long-term team and would probably have more value with a contender.

RedsManRick
07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Flipping Hairston for say, a decent upside bullpen arm in AAA (a Roenicke type), would be a very astute move.

Caveat Emperor
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Sell high, and sell high as soon as possible.

The light usually doesn't come on for guys like him at age 32. What you are seeing right now is nothing more than a mirage. Plain and simple.

Kc61
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=Caveat Emperor;1681250]Sell high, and sell high as soon as possible.

Certain skills can develop later in a career. It's true in all sports. You don't usually develop speed or dramatically improve power. A pitcher doesn't develop velocity in his thirties.

But a guy can develop the ability to use the whole field and improve his BA and OBP. A guy can develop better patience at the plate. A guy can learn not to swing for the fences all the time.

Hairston is a talented player who never put it together as a young guy. Last two years he was injured and didn't play much. That he is now able to get on base at a good clip may be a mirage, but it may be maturation as a hitter.

Because of his career stats, Hairston won't bring much in a trade. Maybe a decent minor leaguer, certainly not a star minor leaguer. There's no reason to trade him. At worst, he is a good backup who plays a lot of positions. At best, he is the leadoff hitter the team needs.

And while some don't care about the abundance of lefty hitters on the Reds, those of us who do see Hairston's righty bat as helpful against lefty pitching.

Keep him.

RedsManRick
07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Keep him.

As far as I can tell, he's got more than 7 years of ML service time and is on a 1 year deal. Unless he signs an extension (here or elsewhere), he's going to be a free agent.

The reasonable options would be to trade him or to extend him. Keeping him for the remainder of the year only to see him walk would be an utter waste, unless of course you think the Reds are going to compete this year.

Will M
07-01-2008, 03:50 PM
He will likely come back for 2009 at a reasonable salary.
Our bench has been terrible this year.
He does not seem to be a mirage. He is playing well and has all year.
His baseball IQ is 100X Ryan Freel's.

I am not saying give him a 2 yr $10M deal nor am I saying make him a starter.
I am saying if he keeps it up bring him back at a reasonable price.
After all we have about 10/25 open spots on the 2009 team.

Caveat Emperor
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
But a guy can develop the ability to use the whole field and improve his BA and OBP. A guy can develop better patience at the plate. A guy can learn not to swing for the fences all the time.

I don't think you'll find a long list of guys who suddenly became .800+ OPS and .300+ AVG hitters after spending 2,750 PAs and 9 major league seasons as an utterly forgettable sub-.700 OPS and ~.250 AVG hitter.

Hairston's had a hot run of things here. It happens to even the most mediocre players -- the mistake is giving them contracts that ignore mountains of bad data and focus solely on the smidge of good data that happens to be the most recent.

Seriously, the franchise would be six kinds of dumb to give him a dime of guaranteed money for next year and seven kinds of dumb to pass an opportunity to get any kind of real talent in return on a trade for him.

WebScorpion
07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
He will likely come back for 2009 at a reasonable salary.
Our bench has been terrible this year.
He does not seem to be a mirage. He is playing well and has all year.
His baseball IQ is 100X Ryan Freel's.

I am not saying give him a 2 yr $10M deal nor am I saying make him a starter.
I am saying if he keeps it up bring him back at a reasonable price.
After all we have about 10/25 open spots on the 2009 team.

...and if he won't BE reasonably priced, which most FA's are not? What then? Overpay? or let him walk for nothing? I think he's beyond arbitration, or I'd suggest we offer him that and get draft picks if he walks. I agree, he'd be great to keep at a reasonable price. But I don't think he'll be reasonably priced, so what appears to be the best option is to trade him for whatever we can get at the deadline. That's my opinion. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/dunno.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Reds1
07-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm saying, he could pull a Patterson for the next 2-3 weeks and still keep living off this opening game performance.

He no Patterson. Patterson swing is atrotious (sp) :)
I have been loving him from early on. Lot of doubters, but as the crafty lefthander says just look at the back of the baseball card and you'll see how they will do over the year. He's been very nice for us. He's the Freel type. Just gives us a spark and this team needs that.

BRM
07-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Lot of doubters, but as the crafty lefthander says just look at the back of the baseball card and you'll see how they will do over the year.

If that's the case, Hairston is due for a serious decline.

Reds1
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
If that's the case, Hairston is due for a serious decline.

Well, that was a quote from the Crafty left hander! :D
Let's just say he's not always so good with predictions....

reds44
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Jerry Hairston: Product of GABP

check out the splits.

Sea Ray
07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
How can he be a product of GABP with 2 HRs?

BRM
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Home: .453/.500/.719

Road: .232/.273/.305

RedsManRick
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample

BRM
07-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I was going to say the same thing Rick but I figured it was sort of obvious. It's not like the guy has been a Red for years and years.

RichRed
07-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample Small Sample

Beat me to it. Hard to conclude anything from 64 ABs at GABP and 82 ABs away from home.

BRM
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Beat me to it. Hard to conclude anything from 64 ABs at GABP and 82 ABs away from home.

So you're saying his career numbers are a better predictor than his 2008 splits?

RichRed
07-01-2008, 06:35 PM
So you're saying his career numbers are a better predictor than his 2008 splits?

Now you're just talking crazy.

Sea Ray
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
It just seems to me that GABP doesn't benefit hitters in any way other than HRs.

Will M
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
It just seems to me that GABP doesn't benefit hitters in any way other than HRs.

agree. why would it? i don't think we have less foul territory than other parks.

GABP really helps the power numbers of the line drive type hitters. doubles turn into homers that just clear the wall

Sea Ray
07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
agree. why would it? i don't think we have less foul territory than other parks.

GABP really helps the power numbers of the line drive type hitters. doubles turn into homers that just clear the wall

Being a small ballpark with less OF room to cover, this ballpark would hurt the gap hitters whereas Coors field with its wide power alleys would be a boon to extra base hits into the alleys.

cincrazy
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Small sample size or not, product of home park or not, he's been an EXTREMELY productive player for this team. That cannot be argued, whether any of you agreed with the signing or not.

M2
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I like it anytime a journeyman has a flourish, even it only turns out to be a short flourish. Baseball, for a player, is all about believing you can succeed in the faces of constant failure. So it's nice to see Hairston enjoying a mini-reward for his faith in the face of crushing disappointment.

Though if you really want to appreciate a Hairston, check out his dad (http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hairsje01.shtml). The guy has one of the most fascinating backs of a baseball card ever. He spent 14 seasons as a backup OF with one club. You are NEVER going to see anything like that again. Even in Hairston Sr.'s day that was an anomaly. Ed Kranepool was similar, but he spent a few seasons as the Mets' primary 1B. Hairston never got more than 274 PAs in a single season.

NJReds
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
So it's nice to see Hairston enjoying a mini-reward for his faith in the face of crushing disappointment.

I don't think that any player who's lucky enough to draw a major league paycheck, even for a short period of time, can be called a crushing disappointment.

M2
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't think that any player who's lucky enough to draw a major league paycheck, even for a short period of time, can be called a crushing disappointment.

I'm not saying he personally is a crushing disappointment, just that the game itself can be crushingly disappointing. I'm sure a slew of injuries, bouncing back down to the minors on an annual basis and working as a journeyman weren't in his career plan. I think guys who persevere through that deserve to catch a break every now and then.

Chip R
07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
The problem with Hariston that I see is that the Reds have too many of his type of player. Freel, Hopper and Keppinger are of the same mold and Freel is signed through next year, IIRC. Plus there is the returning Alex Gonzalez - be it this year or next year. If you bring him back next year, are you getting the Hariston of the past month or the Hariston that he's been his whole career? Time and again we have seen this type of player burst on the scene and adopted as a fan favorite only to see him come down to his career norms.

NJReds
07-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm not saying he personally is a crushing disappointment, just that the game itself can be crushingly disappointing. I'm sure a slew of injuries, bouncing back down to the minors on an annual basis and working as a journeyman weren't in his career plan. I think guys who persevere through that deserve to catch a break every now and then.

Got it. I misread your post.

Kc61
07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
The problem with Hariston that I see is that the Reds have too many of his type of player. Freel, Hopper and Keppinger are of the same mold and Freel is signed through next year, IIRC. Plus there is the returning Alex Gonzalez - be it this year or next year. If you bring him back next year, are you getting the Hariston of the past month or the Hariston that he's been his whole career? Time and again we have seen this type of player burst on the scene and adopted as a fan favorite only to see him come down to his career norms.

Maybe he will burst on the scene and go down to career norms. Or maybe he will continue to be one of the best players on the team for another year. I certainly wouldn't give him ARod money, probably not even Freel money --but another year at a decent wage? Absolutely. In a heartbeat.

There is no logjam at the top of this order. Only Hairston and Kepp are tablesetters. Freel is frequently hurt and both he and Gonzo seem to have serious injuries (Gonzo now out for this year).

What I would do is keep Hairston and Kepp and add a lefty leadoff centerfielder who can hit (not CP, certainly), and let the three of them be tablesetters for this team using platoons, etc.

You can't count on Gonzo or Freel. The Reds obviously will try to move one or both of them. Maybe find a taker for Freel (doubtful for Gonzo post-surgery).

This thread, and others, seems to be about people predicting Hairston's failure. They may be right, but I'm willing to chance it for another year or so. At worst, he'll be a reasonably well paid back up.

Always Red
07-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Hairston has had some well-documented back issues for the last few years.

Sometimes the back of your baseball card looks like it does for reasons other than your talent? The guy finally feels good after a long time- it's been mentioned in many papers.

If I'm the GM, I either sell high to an interested buyer (just imagine how a super-sub like JH could help a team like Boston or the Angels) or try to keep him and sign him as cheaply as I can for 2009 only.

GAC
07-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I like what he has done this year for the Reds; but I'm not getting too overly excited.

Hairston's numbers the last 2 years....

2006 ..... 101 games .206 BA .269 OB% .252 SLG% .521 OPS
2007 .... 73 games .189 BA .249 OB% .289 SLG% .538 OPS

GAC
07-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Again.... Hairston's contributions to the team this year has been welcomed. But when I hear the Red's TV announcers yesterday slobbering all over this guy... and yes, he had a very solid game yesterday....and proclaiming they have finally found a legitimate leadoff hitter for this team in Jerry Hairston then I just shake my head in bewilderment.

The numbers he is currently putting up for us he has never even came close to putting up in his entire playing career. It's an anomaly. Don't be fooled.

It was an "experiment" that then Cub's manager Baker tried back in 2005 with Patterson and Hairston, and with very little success.....

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050622&content_id=1100528&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Here are Hairston's numbers for the last three years when batting leadoff (280 ABs)....

.250 BA .324 OB% .363 SLG% .687 OPS

But lets learn what the Rangers and Cubs discovered about this guy. Not repeat the same mistake.

The guy made 1.8 mil in '05, and then 2.3 mil in '06.

And what concerns me is that with his "surge" this year, being signed for only '08, and he's the type of player Dusty loves (especially the speed).... that Dusty will somehow influence this FO to give this guy a Ryan Freel type of contract.

He's the type of versatile player that I'd love to have on my bench; but only at a very modest salary.

boognish
07-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Again.... Hairston's contributions to the team this year has been welcomed. But when I hear the Red's TV announcers yesterday slobbering all over this guy... and yes, he had a very solid game yesterday....and proclaiming they have finally found a legitimate leadoff hitter for this team in Jerry Hairston then I just shake my head in bewilderment.

The numbers he is currently putting up for us he has never even came close to putting up in his entire playing career. It's an anomaly. Don't be fooled.

It was an "experiment" that then Cub's manager Baker tried back in 2005 with Patterson and Hairston, and with very little success.....

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050622&content_id=1100528&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Here are Hairston's numbers for the last three years when batting leadoff (280 ABs)....

.250 BA .324 OB% .363 SLG% .687 OPS

But lets learn what the Rangers and Cubs discovered about this guy. Not repeat the same mistake.

The guy made 1.8 mil in '05, and then 2.3 mil in '06.

And what concerns me is that with his "surge" this year, being signed for only '08, and he's the type of player Dusty loves (especially the speed).... that Dusty will somehow influence this FO to give this guy a Ryan Freel type of contract.

He's the type of versatile player that I'd love to have on my bench; but only at a very modest salary.

:clap::clap:

Yes. Sell high here, hope an MLB GM is as snowed by these 170-odd PA as so many who follow and cover this team seem to be.

It has gotten so ridiculous around these parts that a local talking head referred to Hairston as "one of the young guys to build around." He is 3.5 years older than Adam Dunn.

Jocketty has made a career of finding players of this ilk under rocks (including a couple of former Reds like Ron Gant, Eric Davis and Thomas Howard); there is no need to overpay for 2 hot months in 2008.

I appreciate--greatly--all that Hairston has done since his callup, but there is no reason to overcompensate him and thus make him part of the problem. Ryan Freel is exhibit A.