PDA

View Full Version : Volquez

Redeye fly
04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Not exactly new information, but that change is absolutely filthy.

Mutaman
04-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Not exactly new information, but that change is absolutely filthy.

Why is it the Reds always play better when Volquez pitches? He's really lucky.
Seriously, we've got 3 starters for the next few years, with Homer on the way. Plus a closer. We can build on that. Lets not mess this up.

Mutaman
04-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I think we've got a firstbaseman too.

HeatherC1212
04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
We totally have a first baseman for our future and I love all the young pitching too. The Reds have the potential to be awesome for a good long time and I REALLY hope they can put everything together. :)

steig
04-22-2008, 09:11 PM
we've got 4 good starters if you can resign Harrang to a ltc

HeatherC1212
04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
we've got 4 good starters if you can resign Harrang to a ltc

I think he's all ready signed until at least 2010 and I think that even has an option for 2011/12. How much longer do you want to sign him!? ;)

reds2221
04-22-2008, 09:28 PM
all we really need is to find a good strong 5th pitcher to fill the gap in between now and when Bailey is ready.

Degenerate39
04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I think he's all ready signed until at least 2010 and I think that even has an option for 2011/12. How much longer do you want to sign him!? ;)

As long as possible!

Mutaman
04-22-2008, 09:40 PM
What an outstanding effort by this kid, and just when we needed it after last night's debacle. Plus Volquez is more than just a big time arm. He could have easily lost his composure in the third inning, but he got it back together after Poole's visit and didn't crack.

Hondo
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Trade Arroyo and Sign Brad Penny at the end of this year and have

Penny
Harang
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey

GoReds33
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
With Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Thompson, Maloney, Belisle, and all these other young pitchers, I'm positive we'll have a good starting rotation for years to come.

HeatherC1212
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I wasn't all that impressed with Brad Penny last night so I'm not interested in signing him at all. I'd much rather keep the crew we have brewing right now in Volquez, Cueto, Harang, Bailey, Maloney, Thompson, etc. That's one outstanding rotation no matter which guys are in it. Talk about potential! :jump:

Slyder
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Sign him like Tim Wakefield where theres always an option to the next year we can take :D.

Red in Atl
04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
With Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Thompson, Maloney, Belisle, and all these other young pitchers, I'm positive we'll have a good starting rotation for years to come.

I agree with all but Belisle. I think we just need to find this guy a new home, preferably with Freel and Coffey in tow. I'd add Fogg, but it just sounds to ridiculous to actually write that.

Adding Homer, Bruce and Bray, when they're ready, will be a nice push to slide into the second half of the season with.

bubbachunk
04-23-2008, 07:50 AM
His walk to strikeout ratio is getting kind of nasty at 23-13. This could come back and bite him in the butt if he is not careful.

UK Reds Fan
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
I agree with all but Belisle. I think we just need to find this guy a new home, preferably with Freel and Coffey in tow. I'd add Fogg, but it just sounds to ridiculous to actually write that.

Adding Homer, Bruce and Bray, when they're ready, will be a nice push to slide into the second half of the season with.

Right now with Belisle, here is hoping with pitching being such a commodity that the Reds can find a taker for Belisle on the cheap and also dump off a contract (Freel) to a team willing to take it on.

podgejeff_
04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I wasn't all that impressed with Brad Penny last night so I'm not interested in signing him at all. I'd much rather keep the crew we have brewing right now in Volquez, Cueto, Harang, Bailey, Maloney, Thompson, etc. That's one outstanding rotation no matter which guys are in it. Talk about potential! :jump:

I wouldn't give up on Arroyo just yet. Even if he's our number 5 pitcher, he's got to be one of the best number 5s in the game. When he's on he looks like a strong #3/weak #2.

A rotation of Harang/Cueto/Volquez/Bailey/Arroyo, if they all live up to their potential, is one of the most dangerous in the majors.

HeatherC1212
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't give up on Arroyo just yet. Even if he's our number 5 pitcher, he's got to be one of the best number 5s in the game. When he's on he looks like a strong #3/weak #2.

A rotation of Harang/Cueto/Volquez/Bailey/Arroyo, if they all live up to their potential, is one of the most dangerous in the majors.

Oh I haven't given up on Bronson at all. I am a little worried about him this year so far though. Hopefully he proves me wrong tonight and pitches a great game. I haven't given up on him. I sort of see him as one of the guys that could be moved if we need to make a trade for any reason (Belisle is the other). Just a hunch although I would love to see him stay in Cincy. :)

ChatterRed
04-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I was at the game last night. I really saw alot of maturity out of Volquez. Case in point: Jeff Kent came up with 2 outs and bases loaded and Volquez refused to throw him a fastball. Actually ended up striking out on a changeup. I loved it. I kept looking at the pitch speed and it would be 81 or 82........I told my buddy, "they aren't going to give Kent a fastball to hit......they just won't do it"........and voila......K.