PDA

View Full Version : The Most underrated player in baseball....a Red?

jojo
04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Nope it's neither Dunn, Phillips nor Harang in Dave Cameron's opinion.

Here's his thoughts on which Red it is:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-most-underrated-player-in-baseballhttp://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-most-underrated-player-in-baseball

Thoughts, comments, opinions?

MississippiRed
04-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks, jojo. That was a good article, and a very interesting comparison. To me, Kepp is very solid at SS. Makes all the routine plays. Hits. We could do worse, and have, pretty much all the time since Larkin.

RedsManRick
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Not surprised in the least. Keppinger is no fluke. He skill set includes being among the best contact hitters in baseball by any metric you'd like to use. He walks twice as much as he strikes out. He doesn't swing an miss. That he can play a capable SS is icing on the cake. While he won't get the hoopla, he could prove every bit the find that Phillips was.

nate
04-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Very interesting, thanks for the link. I'm sure a lot of folks will freak out with Kep being compared to Tony Gwynn.

What to do with a guy like Kep? To me, his bat screams to be in the lineup every day. I said in chat the other day that he's a total "anti-Red" hitter (lots of contact, high BA, low walks).

Also, when does his contract expire? Do you resign him?

Tom Servo
04-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Country Kepp is awesome.

flyer85
04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Kepp has shown the doubters that he can play SS quite well, add in his bat and he is quite the player.

BTW, that play in the hole to throw out Kemp last night was a beauty. He also had a great set of hands, I have not seen a bobble so far this year.

Chip R
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I tend to think of underrated players as players who have been around for awhile, perform well and get little publicity. Kepp hasn't been around for that long so it's difficult to think of him as underrated.

RedlegJake
04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
If I asked 10 baseball fans around here, in AL country, who Jeff Keppinger is I doubt more than one or two would know a thing about him. He is underrated by fans but I bet not by baseball people.

Jpup
04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Jojo, you still think Kepp isn't an everyday player?;)

WebScorpion
04-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Jojo, you still think Kepp isn't an everyday player?;)
I don't think he's an everyday shortstop on a championship caliber team. There are just too many balls that he cannot get to. He is, however, a guy you want in the batting order every day. It's better to also use his versatility as an asset and play him in multiple positions while keeping him in the lineup. If you can have a solid defensive team and he's the guy you put in to give players a breather, you've got something. :thumbup:

RedsManRick
04-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think he's an everyday shortstop on a championship caliber team. There are just too many balls that he cannot get to. He is, however, a guy you want in the batting order every day. It's better to also use his versatility as an asset and play him in multiple positions while keeping him in the lineup. If you can have a solid defensive team and he's the guy you put in to give players a breather, you've got something. :thumbup:

The Yankees seem to have done pretty well with a sure-handed, range-limited, offense-oriented SS. Just sayin...

flyer85
04-23-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think he's an everyday shortstop on a championship caliber team. There are just too many balls that he cannot get to. with a groundball staff that would be true, however, the Reds have a flyball high-K staff which makes his less than ideal range mostly a non-issue.

jojo
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM

I think Dave likes to shock people while making insightful saber arguments.

It's not likely that Keppinger's true talent is a SLG of .470-.480 at the major league level (he hasn't consistantly slugged anywhere close to that for a prolonged period since giving up aluminum bats). As a player he's useful, even nice. As a starting shortstop, he's a compromise- somewhat of a defensive drag relative to his peers without the the uber offense to leverage as an advantage. His value to the Reds will ultimately be because of the context of their roster and the cost of his production IMHO.

blumj
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Shortstops on recent championship teams: Julio Lugo, David Eckstein, Juan Uribe, Orlando Cabrera, Alex Gonzalez, David Eckstein, Tony Womack, Derek Jeter. Takes all kinds, I guess.

RedsManRick
04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Shortstops on recent championship teams: Julio Lugo, David Eckstein, Juan Uribe, Orlando Cabrera, Alex Gonzalez, David Eckstein, Tony Womack, Derek Jeter. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Championship teams are borne of scoring many more runs than you allow. There are lots of ways to get there. The end. :D

MrCinatit
04-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Where art thou, Russ Haltiwanger?

That did catch me by surprise as well, and I feel like I should be ashamed about it.
You look at his total career numbers (he has almost played the equivalent of a season in his career), and they aren't really bad numbers. Not earth shattering or even great - but nice, steady numbers. Kind of makes you wonder what kind of career he would be having had he gotten an chance earlier.

*BaseClogger*
04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Keppinger had a lot of doubters on RZ coming into this season. A majority probably favored AGon as the starting SS as of 3/1/08...

Steve4192
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
He is underrated by fans but I bet not by baseball people.

He has basically been given away on multiple occasions and rotted away in the minors two or three years longer than he should have despite hitting the crap out of the ball at all stops. I think it's safe to say that plenty of baseball people don't appreciate him either.

membengal
04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I blame this thread for his two caseys tonight...

reds44
04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
I blame this thread for his two caseys tonight...
He hits the ball up the middle so much that he is a GIDP just waiting to happen.

Even more reason to bat him leadoff.

blumj
04-23-2008, 11:47 PM
It's funny. You guys had me so set up to expect Casey to casey every time he comes up with a runner on 1st, but, for whatever reason, we've mostly been getting our caseys from other sources so far.

Falls City Beer
04-23-2008, 11:49 PM
He hits the ball up the middle so much that he is a GIDP just waiting to happen.

Even more reason to bat him leadoff.

Right. And when something goes wrong with the offense tomorrow, it'll be because someone ELSE is hitting in the wrong slot.

Forget it: it's not the lineups; it's the offense. Poorly constructed offensive roster; weaknesses in starters and a joke of a bench.