PDA

View Full Version : John Marzano has died

Team Clark
04-23-2008, 04:29 PM
John Marzano, a former catcher for the Boston Red Sox, the Texas Rangers and the Seattle Mariners, who became the co-host of “Leading Off,” the weekday morning analysis of the prior day’s games on MLB.com, died Saturday at his home in Philadelphia. He was 45.

Matt Gould, a spokesman for the Web site, said Monday that Marzano had fallen down a flight of stairs, but that the precise cause of death had not been determined.

Although Marzano was never a star player, he always exhibited a boisterous penchant for getting on camera — a precursor to his off-the-field career on MLB.com’s video stream.

In an interview Monday, Ellis Burks, a teammate on the Red Sox and a close friend of Marzano’s, said: “He was always cracking jokes, always a prankster. Every time someone would hit a home run or Roger Clemens would strike out the side, Marzano would go sit right beside that player and say he wanted to get some TV time, too.”

Marzano played in 301 games during 10 seasons in the majors. He had a career batting average of .241, with 11 home runs and 72 runs batted in.

The Red Sox were not the first major league team to draft Marzano. In 1981, just out of high school, Marzano was picked by the Minnesota Twins in the third round. But he chose to go to college.

While at Temple University, he earned a spot on the 1984 United States Olympic team as a catcher. Although baseball was still an Olympic demonstration sport at the time, with no medals awarded, that ’84 team included the future major league stars Mark McGwire, Barry Larkin and Will Clark. Baseball officially became an Olympic sport in 1992.

After starring at Temple, Marzano joined the Red Sox in 1987; he played for Boston until 1992. After several seasons in the minors, he appeared in two games for the Rangers in 1995. The next season, he earned a spot on Lou Piniella’s Seattle roster, the first of three seasons with the Mariners.

After retiring as a player, Marzano worked for WIP-AM radio in Philadelphia, then at Comcast SportsNet as a postgame analyst of Philadelphia Phillies games. He joined MLB.com’s video network as a co-host of “Leading Off,” with Vinny Micucci, in 2007.

John Robert Marzano was born in Philadelphia — “South Philly” he would have insisted, with an accent indicative of that part of town — on Feb. 14, 1963, a son of John and Laura Marzano. His survivors include his mother; his wife, the former Terri Cava; two daughters, Dominique and Danielle; and two grandchildren.

Marzano and Clemens were very close friends. I was a big fan of Marzano's mostly because he was a Catcher and I thought he had a pretty cool name. Sorry to this has happened. He was a lot of fun to watch on MLB.com

OnBaseMachine
04-23-2008, 04:30 PM
He died last Saturday. I think someone posted this a few days ago.

Team Clark
04-23-2008, 04:31 PM
He died last Saturday.

Never heard a word. First article I saw was posted last night. Strange.