PDA

View Full Version : Reds' signals getting stolen?

Benihana
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
With Patterson and Hairston getting picked off in back-to-back innings after several pickoff attempts, I am absolutely convinced the Astros have stolen the Reds' signals. Granted, I am not watching the game live, but if they HAVEN'T stolen the Reds singals, this is the most atrocious baserunning display I've ever seen.

Danny Serafini
04-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Hairston got himself doubled off of first the other day as well. I think he's just doing a rotten job on the bases right now.

Far East
04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Doesn't Moneyball (or sabremetrics?) contend that stolen bases prove to be statistically futile on average anyway?

Risking giving up one of your 27 outs, similar to sacrifice bunting.

CTA513
04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Patterson was caught because he decided to stop running to second and try to go back to first and the catcher threw the ball to first.

Hairston was caught after taking off on the first move of the lefty that was pitching.

*BaseClogger*
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Doesn't Moneyball (or sabremetrics?) contend that stolen bases prove to be statistically futile on average anyway?

Risking giving up one of your 27 outs, similar to sacrifice bunting.

Overrated, perhaps, but certainly not worthless. Depends on the situation...

Joseph
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm just back from the game and I can tell you Patterson was just foolish, he should have kept going. Hairston was just plain caught. No signals stolen I don't think.