PDA

View Full Version : Simon Phoenix gets 3 years in the Cryoprison

WMR
04-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Snipes Gets Maximum Sentence: 36 Months
Asked For 'Mercy,' Received Deterrence

OCALA, Fla. -- Wesley Snipes was sentenced to 36 months in prison Thursday, the maximum sentence allowed.

Snipes was convicted of three misdemeanor charges for not filing his taxes.

During the sentencing, Snipes did apologize.

"I asked this court to show me mercy and the opportunity to set things right," Snipes said. "This will never happen again. I am very sorry for my mistakes or my errors."

He added, "being in the spotlight attracts loving fans, and jackals."

However, the judge indicated that deterrent was an important factor in tax cases.

"There's nothing unusual about prosecuting a celebrity," Judge William Hodges said. "[Snipes] never mentioned the words tax or taxes in his apology."

Prosecutors, too, sought the maximum sentence to deter others from attempting to avoid tax payments.

"We think it sends a real message," U.S. Attorney Robert O'Neill said. "Again you have to pay your taxes. If you dispute the taxes you owe, contact the IRS and go through the formal process. To continually just say, 'I don't owe taxes, you must show me why I owe taxes,' it seemed his position was ludicrous."

Snipes was not forced to surrender immediately. Instead the judge said he can surrender at a later date, somewhere nearer to his New Jersey home.

Snipes’ defense team spent the morning arguing that he should not have to go to prison.

Snipes had appeared confident when he arrived at the federal courthouse Thursday morning.

In the pre-sentencing report, the probation department said that Snipes’ conduct could be construed as trying to obstruct the investigation. The report said that could be grounds to increase Snipes’ jail time.

Snipes had many character witness letters written by friends, including Woody Harrelson and Denzel Washington.

http://www.wesh.com/news/15979487/detail.html

WMR
04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
You're required to serve 85% of Federal sentences, IIRC.

Razor Shines
04-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Simon Phoenix gets 3 years in the Cryoprison

Don't worry. I've seen this movie, it turns out ok.

Caveat Emperor
04-25-2008, 12:52 AM

I'd pay real money if someone told him to "Be well!" on his way into jail.

WMR
04-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Here's to the man getting one more nice dinner at Taco Bell before he enters the Cryochamber.

Danny Serafini
04-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Mellow greetings, inmate #415094

Chip R
04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I could have sworn I saw something a few weeks ago that said he was acquitted. :confused:

oneupper
04-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Wasn't he hiding in Angola or somewhere to avoid this?

Unassisted
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM
I could have sworn I saw something a few weeks ago that said he was acquitted. :confused:That was on the felony charges. These were misdemeanor charges. 3.5 years is a long sentence for a misdemeanor. This sentence was the Federal government sending a message to other would-be tax evaders.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22955757/

Action star Wesley Snipes was found not guilty of federal tax-fraud and conspiracy charges Friday, but was convicted on three misdemeanor counts of failing to file a tax return.

Chip R
04-25-2008, 12:12 PM
That was on the felony charges. These were misdemeanor charges. 3.5 years is a long sentence for a misdemeanor. This sentence was the Federal government sending a message to other would-be tax evaders.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22955757/

Oh, OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

CrackerJack
04-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Hard for me to feel sorry for a guy making that much $ and not paying his taxes like the rest of us do. I get whacked every year this time for not having kids and actually making a decent salary (God forbid!). But, I still pay the new mafia their protection money even though it prevents me from getting ahead in life.

See ya in a couple of years Wesley.

Degenerate39
04-25-2008, 06:03 PM
It's a good thing he knows all those kung-fu moves because once he goes to the slammer he'll need it.

pahster
04-25-2008, 06:57 PM
It's a good thing he knows all those kung-fu moves because once he goes to the slammer he'll need it.

I very much doubt he'll be in that type of prison environment. Tax evasion isn't violent crime.

GAC
04-25-2008, 08:07 PM
If it happened to any of us, what would happen?

This was a deliberate act on his part.

Degenerate39
04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I very much doubt he'll be in that type of prison environment. Tax evasion isn't violent crime.

I'm sure there are still some sex starved prison inmates where ever he's going.

pahster
04-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm sure there are still some sex starved prison inmates where ever he's going.

In minimum security prison? Not likely. He's also probably gonna be a heck of a lot bigger than anyone else there. :p:

jmac
04-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Not really.
You know the saying, " dont lose your head" :duel:

ochre
04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
This isn't Riyadh. You know they're not gonna saw his hands off here, alright? The worst they would ever do is they would put him, for a couple of [years], into a white-collar, minimum-security resort! He should be so lucky! Do you know, they have conjugal visits there?

RedsManRick
04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
"I asked this court to show me mercy and the opportunity to set things right," Snipes said. "This will never happen again. I am very sorry for my mistakes or my errors."

But not both. Definitely not both.

Degenerate39
04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
In minimum security prison? Not likely. He's also probably gonna be a heck of a lot bigger than anyone else there. :p:

We'll see when he comes out of prison walking like a cowboy. ;)

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
This isn't Riyadh. You know they're not gonna saw his hands off here, alright? The worst they would ever do is they would put him, for a couple of [years], into a white-collar, minimum-security resort! He should be so lucky! Do you know, they have conjugal visits there?

http://blog.pricegrabber.com/shopgreen/files/2007/09/office-space.jpg