PDA

View Full Version : Why No Push for Griffey's 600th HR?

WVRedsFan
04-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Paul Daugherty mentioned it in his blog and on his radio show tonight. Why is Cincinnati and more especially the Reds so indifferent to Ken Griffey, Jr.'s quest to reach 600 career home runs? It baffles me.

Back when I first became aware of Reds baseball (in the 1960's), there were always sluggers. Frank Robinson and Wally Post come to mind. Then there were Johnny Bench, George Foster, and Tony Perez of the Big Red Machine. Finally, we had Greg Vaughn for a season, but no one came close the the mark Junior is about to reach. And the Reds PR department has been almost silent. It's strange.

You would think a world-class guy like Rob Butcher, rumored to be the best in the business, would have more to do than worry about Marty Brenneman getting a scoop from Dusty Baker. He might be promoting the Griffey feat, but no. Instead, Griffey will probably get his coveted 600th while on the road and a fabulous PR moment will be lost.

Is this a sign of a franchise that simply does not get it or am I missing the finer points of fantastic PR that the department gives the hometown baseball team? I don't know, but I sure am disappointed.

WMR
04-25-2008, 01:54 AM
It seems to me that there has been so little winning during Griffey's tenure, lots of folks just aren't bowled over by a milestone that was largely accomplished with another team...

you'd think the Reds would be doing a better job of making it an event, however.

BCubb2003
04-25-2008, 02:25 AM
The storyline always takes place in a context, and sadly, Griffey's takes place in the context of a more jaded time. If Bonds and Sosa hadn't diluted the inspirational effects of the big round number in baseball. If Griffey still had a shot at Aaron. If Griffey had not been injured, and had remained at the center of attention. If Griffey had led his team to the pennant. If Griffey played for New York. If the Reds were on a roll, with the whole city and tri-state behind them, led by their near-future hall-of-famer, instead of dwelling in the cellar and dumping their GM.

The Reds did make a big deal about Griffey reaching 500. That seems like only yesterday, but times have changed.

WVRedsFan
04-25-2008, 02:50 AM
The storyline always takes place in a context, and sadly, Griffey's takes place in the context of a more jaded time. If Bonds and Sosa hadn't diluted the inspirational effects of the big round number in baseball. If Griffey still had a shot at Aaron. If Griffey had not been injured, and had remained at the center of attention. If Griffey had led his team to the pennant. If Griffey played for New York. If the Reds were on a roll, with the whole city and tri-state behind them, led by their near-future hall-of-famer, instead of dwelling in the cellar and dumping their GM.

The Reds did make a big deal about Griffey reaching 500. That seems like only yesterday, but times have changed.

That's no excuse. ESPN mentions every milestone. The AP stories mention it every time. It's a big deal, but in the hometown, why is it not? I find it a total failure of that "world-class" PR team led by Rob Butcher. That may be only me, but how often will this happen? Only a few have done it before him, and the Cincinnati Reds sit on thier hands? It's just dysfunctional. Just like the rest of this franchise IMHO.

WMR
04-25-2008, 03:02 AM
I think Rob Butcher just has more important things to be doing, like making sure that Marty doesn't release sensitive info before he's supposed to.

WVRedsFan
04-25-2008, 03:06 AM
I think Rob Butcher just has more important things to be doing, like making sure that Marty doesn't release sensitive info before he's supposed to.
Ha!

Don't challenge me on that! :)

WMR
04-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Ha!

Don't challenge me on that! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"The Power of Assbackwardness and Misplaced Priorities"

:party:

redsrule2500
04-25-2008, 03:17 AM
I honestly don't really care about it.

It's just a number...when he passes Sosa will be more memorable realistically.

Also: I think they are doing plenty to market it. They have their own ads for it, his own sign in the outfield, and I can't stop hearing about it.....

Redhook
04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
I could care less too. I want this team to win more than individual accomplishments.

rotnoid
04-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I could care less too. I want this team to win more than individual accomplishments.

That's a fair statement, but when the accomplishment is one that only a handful of people have done... ever, things change. Especially, when of that handful, even less have done it clean, in my opinion. This is an important milestone.

That being said, the Reds are doing their own subtle marketing of the event (the sign in center, the banner on reds.com, occassional ads). But, this is a NOW world, if he's not hitting it tonight, fans don't care as much. Since it's not about the chase of an all time mark, the spotlight will be on 600, not 598 or 599, or even 601. It's just going to be that 1 homerun. So, while I agree, it's a big deal, I'm not sure there's much more the Reds should be doing right now. Of course, once he hits 599, I expect a little more from them.

smith288
04-25-2008, 08:52 AM
What more can you do to market it? Its not like he is at some torrid pace. Dude's been stuck at or near 590 for what seems like forever (ok ok, the offseason did that)

KittyDuran
04-25-2008, 10:17 AM
lots of folks just aren't bowled over by a milestone that was largely accomplished with another team...IIRC his next HR will be his 200th for the Reds - the rest was w/Seattle.

KittyDuran
04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
That's no excuse. ESPN mentions every milestone. The AP stories mention it every time. It's a big deal, but in the hometown, why is it not? I find it a total failure of that "world-class" PR team led by Rob Butcher. That may be only me, but how often will this happen? Only a few have done it before him, and the Cincinnati Reds sit on thier hands? It's just dysfunctional. Just like the rest of this franchise IMHO.Maybe it's just me... but IMHO a lot is being done at GABP and around the city. The sign under the Pepsi Powerstacks, stuff up on the screen. IIRC the moving billboard signs on the interstates around town have been touting it as well [along w/promotions and the starting pitcher]. Of course, going to the games and living in the area I get to see this stuff. Outside of the area, I agree that the PR for this event is sorely lacking.

Actually, have you sent a email to the PR department? I'm sure they would like to hear some suggestions. If you don't want to - I'll do it.

Chip R
04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't know if "poor taste" is the phrase I'm looking for but with the Reds 5 games under .500 and a GM that has been fired, I'm not sure the Reds feel terribly comfortable publicizing a player's individual achievement.

KittyDuran
04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't know if "poor taste" is the phrase I'm looking for but with the Reds 5 games under .500 and a GM that has been fired, I'm not sure the Reds feel terribly comfortable publicizing a player's individual achievement.We fans have to have something to :beerme: about! ;)

johngalt
04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
That's no excuse. ESPN mentions every milestone. The AP stories mention it every time. It's a big deal, but in the hometown, why is it not? I find it a total failure of that "world-class" PR team led by Rob Butcher. That may be only me, but how often will this happen? Only a few have done it before him, and the Cincinnati Reds sit on thier hands? It's just dysfunctional. Just like the rest of this franchise IMHO.

You keep mentioning Rob Butcher, but if you take a look at the team's front office roster (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cin), there is a separate staff for public relations from Rob Butcher's crew. Butcher's crew says "Media Relations" so I think you're mistaken if you're throwing this at his feet.

Aside from that, what else should be done? Baseball in general doesn't make as big a deal out of 600 homers as they do 500 it seems. Like Kitty said, there are all kinds of advertisements and markers out there for it. FSN has a "countdown" they show each time he comes to bat.

westofyou
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Seriously, are there more pressing issues than a collective back pat for Junior from the city?

He'll survive... count on it.

coachw513
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM
I honestly don't really care about it.

It's just a number...when he passes Sosa will be more memorable realistically.

Also: I think they are doing plenty to market it. They have their own ads for it, his own sign in the outfield, and I can't stop hearing about it.....

Not to argue, but...

I have no problem with being depressed about the state of our current team, hell the state of the team for a decade...and in many ways the visual personification of the Reds struggles are the injuries suffered by KGJ...

But "it's just a number"???...let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees here...we have had the good fortune (yes, good) to watch one of the top 3 players in the history of the game in the last 25 years (Bonds, A-Rod)...he's a local kid, with the most personal ties to the greatest time in the history of our franchise...a player that in the most notorious age of cheating, scandal, and illegitimate statistical achievement has put up numbers that are to be marveled at, and did so without 1 shred, 1 iota of doubt as to the validity of his natural ability and hard work...

This countdown should be trumpeted with all the pomp and circumstance possible...it's an amazing accomplishment to be celebrated with all the pride that Reds fans should be able to muster...

Can we please remember, that the bad pitching of the last decade isn't KGJ's fault??...that the roster mismanagement is not KGJ's fault??...that the fact he has a near-twin in Adam Dunn playing with him and the combination of the both might not be the best thing for this team, IS NOT KGJ'S fault???...

I find it quite easy to both recognize that this should be the last year Ken Griffey Jr. spends in a Reds uniform WHILE ALSO BEING ABLE TO ENJOY WATCHING HISTORY...I can appreciate his career-long greatness, with an understanding of his declining skills...and I can love watching one of the most beautiful things in sport when that guy turns on a fastball with that swing, and still understand that I can live with Jay Bruce manning CF for 1 year while Griffey plays out the necessary part of his contract...

But I will not allow the drama of another mediocre Reds team get in the way of appreciation of the greatness of Ken Griffey Jr...just as I will truly enjoy Cueto, Volquez, Votto, EE (on offense :D), and eventually Bruce and Bailey...

Color me disappointed in the Reds, Reds media and national media for not allowing this pursuit the attention it merits and deserves...guess we need to get geared up for the hour-by-hour coverage A-Rod will get probably starting from 550 on...

coachw513
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe it's just me... but IMHO a lot is being done at GABP and around the city. The sign under the Pepsi Powerstacks, stuff up on the screen. IIRC the moving billboard signs on the interstates around town have been touting it as well [along w/promotions and the starting pitcher]. Of course, going to the games and living in the area I get to see this stuff. Outside of the area, I agree that the PR for this event is sorely lacking.

And of course living in Florida and only reading and watching the Reds from this distance may well be influencing my view on this...

KittyDuran
04-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Seriously, are there more pressing issues than a collective back pat for Junior from the city?

He'll survive... count on it.Junior will survive... but will his fans? ;)

coachw513
04-25-2008, 12:08 PM

He'll survive... count on it.

I don't think the issue is what he needs, but rather what "we" should rightfully do...

Based on my perspective afar, he probably isn't desirous of any pat on the back...

But IMHO, that doesn't mean we shouldn't give it to him...

OldRightHander
04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
And of course living in Florida and only reading and watching the Reds from this distance may well be influencing my view on this...

There is some truth to that. I'm all over the country and in many places you wouldn't even know he existed, but when I get back home the Reds are plastered everywhere I look. I don't think I saw that much Astros PR when I was in Houston earlier this month.

OldRightHander
04-25-2008, 12:35 PM
But IMHO, that doesn't mean we shouldn't give it to him...

If that's something that you feel "we" should do, then what's stopping the fans from doing something? Or would "we" rather wring our hands because the team or MLB doesn't do enough?

I remember a few years ago when he suffered one of his more extreme injuries, someone here put together something of a card that a bunch of us "signed." If fans thing something more should be done, then why shouldn't the fans just get off their butts and do something?

Unassisted
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Being in Astros country, I was blackout-mandated to watch the Houston feed for the most recent two games. FWIW, their broadcast made a big deal of Junior's home run total on each of his first ABs.

dougdirt
04-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Aside from that, what else should be done? Baseball in general doesn't make as big a deal out of 600 homers as they do 500 it seems. Like Kitty said, there are all kinds of advertisements and markers out there for it. FSN has a "countdown" they show each time he comes to bat.

It just seems that baseball doesn't make a big deal out of 600 because there have been 4 guys get there before and Sammy Sosa who we all knew was on something at that point. 3 of those guys came before 1970 when they reached 600 home runs. Baseball hasn't seen much of this in its entire history. Only 3 clean players have ever reached it before and they all got there more than 30 years ago. Its special and that people are failing to realize it is a sad thing.

TeamBoone
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, they seem to mention it during game broadcasts and on local sports news segments (don't know about Marty because I don't listen to him very often); they have the countdown/up at the ballpark, and I've seen it touted on billboards around town. I've also seen it periodically in the sports section of the Enquirer, though not every day.

And that's just the stuff that I've seen/heard personally, so there's probably more that I'm not aware of.

Just wondering what you'd like to see/hear....

Highlifeman21
04-25-2008, 05:39 PM

I look at it this way.... Would I rather have the Reds be a winning franchise annually and Griffey never reach 600, or would I rather have Griffey reach 600 this year and the Reds never make the playoffs again. Granted, the Reds winning is marginally influenced by personal achievement, but 600 is but a number. I worry when players chase personal achievement rather than organizational achievement. Look at Brandon Phillips last year; his 30/30 really helped us....

------------

Or to put it into a golf situation, I would rather shoot 4 rounds of Par to win a major, rather than shooting 1 round of 59 in a major and not win that same tourney....

Matt700wlw
04-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Griffey will be the 5th player to accomplish this, and only the 3rd to do it cleanly....and the only one still active

redsrule2500
04-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, my main point is that I prefer focus on the Reds as a team rather than a single player.