View Full Version : Cincinnati's white whale

jojo
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM
A right-handed run producer...

Who?

How?

TOBTTReds
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
He's playing 3B for the Yankees (not A-Rod). He would be a bench guy for us though.

TheBurn
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Morgan Ensberg?

Benihana
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Matt Kemp? Matt LaPorta? Matt Maloney?

jojo
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Matt Kemp? Matt LaPorta? Matt Maloney?

Matt Kemp would be my first choice though I'm not sure where he plays this season especially since Bruce should be the first candidate to push his way into center. Kemp would obviously be miscast in center though he'd likely be a plus defender in right but for the sake of biding time it would at least be an idea.

Kemp would probably require Bailey for discussions to even get rolling.

Topcat
04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
The answer maybe a swap to acquire Cuddyer, bad money goes both ways aka Gonzalez and Javy V

NJReds
04-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Maybe we could trade Arroyo to the Nats for Wily Mo Pena. ;)

smith288
04-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Where's "Cincinatti"?

;)

Highlifeman21
04-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Matt Kemp would be my first choice though I'm not sure where he plays this season especially since Bruce should be the first candidate to push his way into center. Kemp would obviously be miscast in center though he'd likely be a plus defender in right but for the sake of biding time it would at least be an idea.

And that's fine.

2009 we'll need at least 1 OF, and if Dunn isn't re-signed 2 OF.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Edwin Encarnacion.

If placed in the right spot of the the order.

jojo
04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Edwin Encarnacion.

I guess the premise of the thread is that EE would be here but he and Phillips aren't enough "righthandedness".

Spring~Fields
04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Pujols works for me. I have high expectations from our new GM and a can do spirit. :)

Do you suppose St. Louis would take Griffey, Dunn and EE straight up for him?

fearofpopvol1
04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
What about Ryan Zimmerman? He's not hitting well thus far. You could offer up Dunn and maybe something else? JimBo loves him some Dunn.

I think Dunn would accept a trade to Washington to be reunited with Kearns. You could move Votto (or EdE) to LF. I think Zimmerman as a Red would work wonders.

Will M
04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Edwin Encarnacion.

absolutely.

Votto-EE-Bruce seems a nice 3-4-5.

Phillips is an asset at the #6 or #7 spot in the order.
He shouldn't hit 4th.

Spring~Fields
04-25-2008, 06:13 PM
What about Ryan Zimmerman? He's not hitting well thus far. You could offer up Dunn and maybe something else? JimBo loves him some Dunn.

I think Dunn would accept a trade to Washington to be reunited with Kearns. You could move Votto (or EdE) to LF. I think Zimmerman as a Red would work wonders.

I like Zimmerman.
Zimmerman, EE, Votto, and Bruce would be young and with pop, plus payflex.

membengal
04-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Good point/challenge, jojo. After reviewing the state of desireable RH-bats that are not too old or too expensive/not available (like, say, A-Rod), I knock a wish list down to who I have not seen mentioned in previous threads:

Josh Willingham
Carlos Quentin

I have no idea if either Florida or the White Sox would entertain discussions for them, but, yaneverknow. Can't hurt to ask. They are both young(ish), good power, and RH.

Aside for those two, I have liked the previous calls on this board for inquiries into Reggie Willits (should be available, or, at least, more available than the others I have mentioned here) and Matt Kemp. Again, no idea if Kemp is gettable, but yaneverknow.

ETA: I just don't think Washington would part with Zimmerman under most scenarios at this point. The ones I have listed here, I don't think are in the Zimmerman untouchable category...

jojo
04-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Wlad Balentien is also another uber power-laden righty. He's also a target that is obtainable but he's pretty raw (I don't think he's ready). That might be alright though because it's not like the Reds have an easy way to work another outfielder into the rotation in '08.

Tom Servo
04-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Here's my idea: Milton Bradley. Maybe Dusty with reputation for handling players can keep him under control and harness his talents.

VR
04-26-2008, 02:02 PM

I'll throw out my proposal again. Dunn and Bailey for Kemp.
The Dodgers have been interested before, his HRs go out anywhere.
Bruce and Kemp as your new cornerstones in the OF. Ones that can run and field as well. Reds have more than enough pitching depth in the minors to dangle Homer, they also free up some $ next year w/ Griff and Dunn money to attract a high quality veteran OF, and a decent starter or two.

Do it.

Highlifeman21
04-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Here's my idea: Milton Bradley. Maybe Dusty with reputation for handling players can keep him under control and harness his talents.

OF

Switch hitter.

I like it.

mth123
04-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I doubt that anything other than a role player type would be available at this point.

Matt Diaz is a name that might be interesting.

Atlanta has been going with Gregor Blanco in LF lately and may have interest in trading down from Diaz to a guy like Hopper as a RH caddy to pick up an arm in the deal. Atlanta has had some injury trouble in both the rotation and the pen and I could see them with interest in say a Belisle and/or a Coffey. Hopper with Belisle or Coffey for Diaz. Diaz makes $1.225 Million this year about the same as Belisle and just a little more than Coffey. I'd rather keep Belisle than deal him for a role player. Guys who start are valuable. I'd deal them Matt Maloney though.

Other names that might be available now or soon:

Marcus Thames
Brandon Inge
Juan Rivera
Xavier Nady
Delwyn Young
Jason Michaels
Kevin Millar
Melvin Mora

The Reds could probably get many of these guys for excess fringe pitching (Coffey, Belisle, Maloney, Marcus McBeth, etc.) and taking on money.

Benihana
04-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll throw out my proposal again. Dunn and Bailey for Kemp.
The Dodgers have been interested before, his HRs go out anywhere.
Bruce and Kemp as your new cornerstones in the OF. Ones that can run and field as well. Reds have more than enough pitching depth in the minors to dangle Homer, they also free up some $ next year w/ Griff and Dunn money to attract a high quality veteran OF, and a decent starter or two.

Do it.

I like Kemp but that's too much. I would offer Bailey and some change, not much more. I'd rather hang onto Dunn, or at least trade him for a different need. I don't think the Dodgers would have much interest in Dunn with Andruw Jones already on the roster.

Spring~Fields
04-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Pujols works for me.
Do you suppose St. Louis would take Griffey, Dunn and EE straight up for him?

I posted the above to make a point that Cincinnati has more “white whales” than a lack of a right handed bat. I thought that someone would say, “St. Louis would not do that, they would not take Griffey, Dunn, and Encarcion straight up for Pujols". It at least should make us think about what the Reds really have vs. hope they have.

That should tell us what Kc61 and others are saying, “the Reds need to improve the core of the offense”, is true, when the Reds best would not be acceptable to the Cards for one player.

St. Louis and staff know something about winning, something that the Reds don’t. They need more than a middling right handed bat, they need some premiere players. The Reds have sold us that they have some and think that they have some but, in the current day they don’t.