PDA

View Full Version : :lol:

WMR
04-26-2008, 12:32 AM
What else can you do right now?

Amazing how bad teams can find so many different ways to lose.

reds44
04-26-2008, 12:34 AM
The Reds aren't finding ways to lose.

They don't hit. The end.

WMR
04-26-2008, 12:35 AM
The Reds aren't finding ways to lose.

They don't hit. The end.

There's a lot more to it than that.

How many baserunning blunders in the past two games? You tell me.

Reds Fanatic
No hitting, baserunning blunders and a catcher who somehow forgets to cover home plate.

smith288
Im starting the official "Freel should never see the field again" club. Who is with me?

WMR
04-26-2008, 12:36 AM
No hitting, baserunning blunders and a catcher who somehow forgets to cover home plate.

Exactly.

Great post, RF.

The hitting is anemic, but there's a lot more than just that going wrong with this team right now.

reds44
04-26-2008, 12:37 AM

That's what happens when you have Ryan Freel and Jerry Hairston Jr. playing.

That shouldn't be unexpected.

WMR
04-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Im starting the official "Freel should never see the field again" club. Who is with me?

"Not only am I the President, I'm a member as well!" ;)

In.

Freel is just awful.

That strike-out with a runner on third was perhaps the worst I've seen all season. The ball was LITERALLY OVER HIS HEAD.

WMR
04-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Awesome decision to sit our best RHH hitter facing lefties versus Sanchez. :lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

Hilarious.

As if this team isn't challenged enough when going against lefties.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-26-2008, 12:44 AM
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3864/funniestevarqs1.jpg

KronoRed
04-26-2008, 12:47 AM
I blame the GM, moves should have been made already.

Kc61
04-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Reds don't have much of a chance in big ball parks like SF. Scoring there usually requires two or more hits in the same inning. Not our style.

WVRedsFan
04-26-2008, 12:51 AM

:wave:

HumnHilghtFreel
04-26-2008, 12:54 AM

I'm all for benching the man, but blinding him is a little bit extreme.

WVRedsFan
04-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Reds don't have much of a chance in big ball parks like SF. Scoring there usually requires two or more hits in the same inning. Not our style.
The park hasn't much to do with it. This team is crippled by left handed pitching regardless of who it is. It happened all of last year and nothing was done over the winter to shore up that problem. Instead, we take Hatteberg's option year and release Jorge Cantu (regardless of what you think of him), a right handed bat with pop with Joey Votto coming on.

Our right handed hitting consists of Brandon Phillips (benched for some unknown reason), Keppinger, Encarnacion, and Freel. Keppinger is really good usually as is Encarnacion, but Freel has to be the most unintelligent hitter in MLB. I could not believe strike three with that runner on third. Not the game decider, but a nail in the coffin, nonetheless.

With all of the moaning and gnashing of teeth over the demise of Wayne Krivsky and the evil of Bob Castellini, the team continues to be flawed. A team that used to score in bunches not cannot score due to enteneded contracts that were foolhardy and lack of attention to roster construction. I pity poor Walt Jocketty. He's got one helluva job ahead of him.

Tommyjohn25
04-26-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm all for benching the man, but blinding him is a little bit extreme.

:bowrofl:

RedlegJake
04-26-2008, 01:02 AM
It's no longer early. These guys are bad. Fundamental mistakes of all kinds. Horrid at bats, and I don't know when I've seen so many guys first pitch swinging. Base running gaffes, weak defense. Making every lefty they face look like Cy Young. Seriously, I am about as patient as it gets but this is just ridiculous now. This isn't a slump. This is flat out badly played baseball.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-26-2008, 01:08 AM
LOL at the Giants scoring two in the 8th and me knowing that it was then automatic that the Reds would finally score a run in the 9th.

I have seen the same re-run for nine years now.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-26-2008, 01:10 AM
More LOL.

The one run finally comes from a guy pinch-hitting who was benched against his favorite type of pitcher that he mashes, a left-hander.

Brilliant.

redsrule2500
04-26-2008, 01:21 AM

Is there? Are you serious? What does 4 hits tell you????

Yeah that's what i thought....:thumbdown

redsrule2500
04-26-2008, 01:23 AM
It's no longer early. These guys are bad. Fundamental mistakes of all kinds. Horrid at bats, and I don't know when I've seen so many guys first pitch swinging. Base running gaffes, weak defense. Making every lefty they face look like Cy Young. Seriously, I am about as patient as it gets but this is just ridiculous now. This isn't a slump. This is flat out badly played baseball.

Thanks, Dusty. Dooming this team to another few years of complete failure. Wonderful.

WMR
04-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Is there? Are you serious? What does 3 hits tell you????

Read this thread in its entirety and get back to me. This thread is about more than one game. :wave: :thumbup:

BTW: The Reds had 4 hits tonight, not 3.

redsrule2500
04-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Oh, sorry. I guess you said past two games. So 12 hits in two games. Still not very good, and clearly the biggest problem for this team.

WMR
04-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Oh, sorry. I guess you said past two games. So 12 hits in two games. Still not very good, and clearly the biggest problem for this team.

Of course the hitting is the biggest problem, but the general sloppiness and malaise exhibited by this team over the past week or so is just unforgivable. Especially for a team struggling so much at the plate. Such a team should be making absolutely sure to do "ALL THE LITTLE THINGS" right.

Again: how many baserunning blunders in the past two games that directly led to outs that should not have been made? I count 3, although there could be more.

Not covering home plate on a throw to home? Both players going after the ball? Just absolute, 100% bush league.

redsrule2500
04-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Of course the hitting is the biggest problem, but the general sloppiness and malaise exhibited by this team over the past week or so is just unforgivable. Especially for a team struggling so much at the plate. Such a team should be making absolutely sure to do "ALL THE LITTLE THINGS" right.

Again: how many baserunning blunders in the past two games that directly led to outs that should not have been made? I count 3, although there could be more.

Not covering home plate on a throw to home? Both players going after the ball? Just absolute, 100% bush league.

3 baserunning blunders are clearly not the main problem. I think it's somewhat out of desperation of realizing that 1-2 hits is the max that the team will achieve so everyone is attempting to do anything they can to enhance it. Oh, and Dusty telling everyone to "go out there swingin'!"

WVRedsFan
04-26-2008, 01:43 AM

The losing has gotten to them, but you have to laugh at poor David Ross who broke every rule on that throw from Griffey. It looked to me like he could have caught it. Marty gave Junior the devil for the throw, but what do you do? Ross should have caught that ball, but it's noting new that Ross can't catch a thrown ball now is it? The pitcher went after the ball and the fundamentally unsound Ross went after it. Just Keytone Kops Reds as usual. Mighty fine roster construction, don't you think? Three catchers. Interesting.

Yeah, i'm still ranting. Sorry.

WMR
04-26-2008, 01:45 AM
The losing has gotten to them, but you have to laugh at poor David Ross who broke every rule on that throw from Griffey. It looked to me like he could have caught it. Marty gave Junior the devil for the throw, but what do you do? Ross should have caught that ball, but it's noting new that Ross can't catch a thrown ball now is it? The pitcher went after the ball and the fundamentally unsound Ross went after it. Just Keytone Kops Reds as usual. Mighty fine roster construction, don't you think? Three catchers. Interesting.

Yeah, i'm still ranting. Sorry.

:lol:

Keystone Kops is putting it just about perfectly.

It would have been a great 3 Stooges bit.

WVRedsFan
04-26-2008, 01:49 AM
:lol:

Keystone Kops is putting it just about perfectly.

It would have been a great 3 Stooges bit.

Nuk-nuk-nuk.

Certainly.

Tony Cloninger
04-26-2008, 01:56 AM
This reminds me of the start they had in 1986.

More of a veteran club than this one but they were terrible for about a month or 2.

Spring~Fields
04-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Just Keytone Kops Reds as usual. Mighty fine roster construction, don't you think? Three catchers. Interesting.

It's still early.

Wait until they really start slumping. ;)

kbrake
04-26-2008, 02:19 AM
This team hasnt made the playoffs since I was 10 and yet for some reason I remain addicted to Reds baseball. How did I get into this?

WVRedsFan
04-26-2008, 02:34 AM
This team hasnt made the playoffs since I was 10 and yet for some reason I remain addicted to Reds baseball. How did I get into this?

Same way we all did. It's like an addictive drug. No matter how bad it is, we keep coming back. I find it strange that I care anymore, but after 59 years, only 47 that I can remember, I'm still living and dying with the Reds. It's sick.

kbrake
04-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Same way we all did. It's like an addictive drug. No matter how bad it is, we keep coming back. I find it strange that I care anymore, but after 59 years, only 47 that I can remember, I'm still living and dying with the Reds. It's sick.

I know its just frustrating and I feel bad for the little one in my avatar. He has no idea the torture he is in for :laugh:

Always Red
04-26-2008, 07:08 AM
In the last 5 years, the Reds have had:

2 owners
3 GM's
4 managers
...and the same results, year after year.

I dunno, maybe it's the players?? :eek:

It's time to blow it up, keep the youngest and the best, and move forward from there. And that's going to cost Mr. Bluster a lot of money, because there are many bad ballplayers on this team with multi-year contracts.

GAC
04-26-2008, 08:07 AM

It's not a blunder when you're trying to navigate in uncharted territory. ;)

Highlifeman21
04-26-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm in.

Sea Ray
04-26-2008, 09:21 AM

We need a new stat that measures how many times you get picked off a base vs times on base. He must be "hitting" over .500 in that stat...

Sea Ray
04-26-2008, 09:28 AM
In the last 5 years, the Reds have had:

2 owners
3 GM's
4 managers
...and the same results, year after year.

I dunno, maybe it's the players?? :eek:

It's time to blow it up, keep the youngest and the best, and move forward from there. And that's going to cost Mr. Bluster a lot of money, because there are many bad ballplayers on this team with multi-year contracts.

It is time to blow it up in the right way. The long range plan is to go with a team based on pitching, defense and line drive hitters. Get away from the sluggers. Going with the beer softball league model has not worked. Guys like Votto and Keppinger should be sought. Jay Bruce will be a welcome addition.

This team just plain isn't very good. We don't have a single everyday player who even warrants backup All Star consideration.

With this team's performance vs Houston, Pittsburgh and now SF I have a hard time finding a worse time in the league.

Yes, I would like to see a blowup of sorts but surprisingly I don't think they are that far away from contending as strange as that may sound.

Kc61
04-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Pick on Freel, that's right. Just like folks used to pick on Castro. Juan is gone, see any improvement?

The team needs a new offensive core. It's the major players, not the minor ones, who need to change.

BRM
04-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Good thing they fired Chambliss.

Falls City Beer
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM

And then you think moving away from Cincy will help....nah, this team follows you! There's no resisting.

smith288
04-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Pick on Freel, that's right. Just like folks used to pick on Castro. Juan is gone, see any improvement?

The team needs a new offensive core. It's the major players, not the minor ones, who need to change.
I made the freel post only after his overrun of 2nd base in the first... The rest of the game hadn't even occured so he continues to prove my point.

On pace for 102 losses:thumbup:

OldXOhio
04-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Is there? Are you serious? What does 4 hits tell you????

Exactly. Baserunning blunders aside, the Reds could be a .500 ballclub at this point if they were even slightly below average offensively. The team has scored 4 runs or less in roughly 75% of its games.

RedlegJake
04-26-2008, 11:15 AM
And then you think moving away from Cincy will help....nah, this team follows you! There's no resisting.

Yep. I tried so hard to follow the Royals since I really only had a couple years in my youth in Cincy before we moved -my dad kept up my Reds indocrination. And you know? I like the Royals alright but the Reds is more like a marriage -and sometimes its like being married to a very unfaithful spouse. They always say they're going to change and then they go out and break your damn heart doing the same thing again, and again.

And The Judge won't let you divorce em either.

PuffyPig
04-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Instead, we take Hatteberg's option year and release Jorge Cantu (regardless of what you think of him), a right handed bat with pop with Joey Votto coming on.

I think Cantuu's inability (historically) to hit LH pitching had a lot to do with that.

coachw513
04-26-2008, 11:19 AM
And to think I was disappointed I couldn't stay awake to see the majority of the game...

Freel is quickly becoming the best bad baserunner in the game...or is it the worst good baserunner???...

I'm all for Dusty "talking to" Phillips but maybe you can conduct the talk before the game and then stick him in the lineup against a LH pitcher??...

Cool, I'm already fired up about watching tonight!!

Highlifeman21
04-26-2008, 12:30 PM

Freel will see more playing time than Castro ever would have or should have.

Freel will have more impact on the roster than Castro.

When Hopper comes off the DL, it should prove interesting to see what corresponding moves happen.

Spring~Fields
04-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Here’s your sign :oops:

You might be clueless when and if you say

"It's like Groundhog Day," Baker said. "I'm living that movie."

Wakeup Dusty, doing basically the same thing will get you basically the same results, where do you think those stats on the back of the baseball card came from?

Spring~Fields
04-26-2008, 02:34 PM
It's not a blunder when you're trying to navigate in uncharted territory. ;)

:devil: :laugh:

After getting to second base the Reds players might as well be charting a course to the Planet Pluto, :dunno: they have no idea how to arrive to home base from first or second.

Spring~Fields
04-26-2008, 02:39 PM
It's no longer early. These guys are bad. Fundamental mistakes of all kinds. Horrid at bats, and I don't know when I've seen so many guys first pitch swinging. Base running gaffes, weak defense. Making every lefty they face look like Cy Young.

You're pointing out a lot of flaws that we have observed over and over.

It makes me wonder who is running the asylum, who is coaching and managing the talent on this ball club, anyone? If they are coaching and managing what are they doing wrong and why haven't they corrected it?

Spring~Fields
04-26-2008, 02:43 PM

That has been needed for some time, but, it has always been taboo around here to say it in the light of day. Now we stand in the darkness of defeat.

WebScorpion
04-27-2008, 12:54 PM
But we won last night...just barely. No thanks to Belisle or Coffey. That's tied for the most offense we've generated in any game and if not for Cordero, it would have been a loss. They're pretty pathetic even when they win. I think Jocketty will do something, I'm just not sure where he will start. Will he dump Fogg, Coffey, or Belisle? Will he trade Dunn or Griffey? Will he unload Patterson, Freel, or Hopper? Will he find a real catcher? and which of the other three will he keep? I'm waiting...