PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

savafan
04-26-2008, 04:30 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i893a6fe1c07f68041bf50672f9efbc66?imw=Y

By Nellie Andreeva and Kimberly Nordyke

April 24, 2008
UPDATED 6:16 p.m PT April 24, 2008

After months of speculation, Jimmy Fallon has sealed a deal to succeed "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien on NBC in 2009, sources said.

O'Brien, whose show airs at 12:35 a.m., is moving into the 11:35 p.m. slot next year after "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno's retirement, which was announced in 2004.

NBC is expected to make the announcement May 12 during its upfront event in New York.

The deal gives Fallon and "Late Night" executive producer Lorne Michaels enough time to assemble a team and prepare for Fallon's takeover after O'Brien's departure, expected in January.

It is not clear whether "Late Night" with Fallon will stay at Studio 6A at New York's 30 Rock, but it is probable as O'Brien will be moving to the new "Tonight Show" home at Universal Studios' Stage One.

NBC declined comment Thursday.

Fallon's new gig as "Late Night" host stems from a development deal he inked with NBC in early 2007.

The move further cements NBC's late-night transition that also is making Leno a highly sought-after free agent, with ABC and Fox reportedly already circling the top-rated late-night host. Meanwhile, NBC Universal is trying to keep him in the company fold with a new show.

For the second time, "Saturday Night Live" chief Michaels -- whose company Broadway Video co-produces "Late Night" with Universal Media Studios -- has gone with an "SNL" alum to front the late-night talker. In 1993, Michaels tapped former "SNL" writer O'Brien as the inaugural host.

Fallon has more onscreen experience, having co-starred on "SNL" and co-hosted its "Weekend Update" segment. He also toplined several features, including the comedies "Fever Pitch" and "Taxi."

Additionally, Fallon, repped by CAA and Management 360, served as a guest host for CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman" in 2003.

Johnny Footstool
04-26-2008, 04:59 PM
This just in: NBC to cancel "Late Night" in March, 2009.

KronoRed
04-26-2008, 05:10 PM
What a horrible choice, but then Conan on the Tonight Show is also going to be a disaster

pahster
04-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Fallon's a hack. I have no idea how he ever got a gig on SNL.

Rojo
04-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe there going in a different direction, you know, away from "funny."

RFS62
04-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I guess "painfully lame" is the new "funny".

GoReds33
04-26-2008, 07:12 PM
I liked his performance in Fever Pitch, but I don't think he'll be able to translate well to late night tv.

savafan
04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
It was physically painful to have to watch him do the Weekend Update on SNL

Unassisted
04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
At least the new job will keep Jimmy from doing comedy. http://nohomers.net/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

WMR
04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
He will undoubtedly suck. Here's the thing though: He's going up against someone who sucks just as hard as he does: Craig Ferguson.

It'll be one big suck-fest all around.

VIVA JIMMY KIMMEL!!!! :party:

Razor Shines
04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
He will undoubtedly suck. Here's the thing though: He's going up against someone who sucks just as hard as he does: Craig Ferguson.

It'll be one big suck-fest all around.

Bring back Kilborn! I wonder if there is any chance of Craiggers taking over for Letterman when he retires?

Yachtzee
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I liked his performance in Fever Pitch, but I don't think he'll be able to translate well to late night tv.

He and the Farrelly brothers ruined that movie for me. I liked it much better with Colin Firth following Arsenal (like the book). Of course it is fun to annoy Red Sox fans by bringing up Jimmy Fallon. Their first World Series in all those years and the triumphant moment is marred by a love a Jimmy Fallon love scene.

I think Fallon's problem will be that he won't be able to make it through a segment without laughing at his own jokes. I have a feeling there's more truth to his stoner character than the public knows.

WMR
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Bring back Kilborn! I wonder if there is any chance of Craiggers taking over for Letterman when he retires?

Letterman will never retire. He'll do that show until the day he dies, at which point he'll be replaced with a Letterman Automatron Robot.

savafan
04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
He'll do that show until the day he dies, at which point he'll be replaced with a Letterman Automatron Robot.

I thought that already happened in 1989...

cincyinco
04-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Love Fallon, but then again I'm easily amused...

redsfan1966
04-27-2008, 03:38 AM
I like Fallon as well...great Barry Gibb impersonation...only downer for me was watching him and queen latifah in "Taxi"...

Ibleedblue
04-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Letterman will never retire. He'll do that show until the day he dies, at which point he'll be replaced with a Letterman Automatron Robot. False. They will animate the show using "Evil David Letterman" as the voice.

TC81190
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
I like Conan, but I think his act lends itself better to Late Night than a "primetime" late night show.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
This guy wasn't funny on SNL....and he's been an afterthought since.

cincinnati chili
04-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I remind everyone that the conventional wisdom hated the Conan O'Brien hiring, and it's still painful to watch him on the first couple years of the show.

I didn't see Fallon fill in for Letterman. Does anyone who saw him in an interview format have an opinion of him?

I think Letterman is great, but if I were to predict his efficacy as a talk show host based on his movie career (e.g. "Cabin Boy") I'd think he sucks too.

Who said bring back Kilborn? Please, please no.

MartyFan
04-27-2008, 09:44 PM
There is little related to SNL and a show like Late Night...Jimmy Falon is a VERY GOOD WRITER and he is also a very natural conversationalist, same as Conan when he took over. He doesn't need to be a great Stand up Comedian or even Skit comedian or actor to do the show well, I think Falon will surprise a lot of people with how good he does.

That said, I hated him on SNL, he was totally out classed in every aspect of the show...except, writing.

I think this is a good choice.

Knowing Jay Leno and his incredible streak of LOYALTY, I would say he entertains thoughts of ABC and FOX but will end up staying with NBC...I admit I could be dead wrong but in the past from the clubs he has worked to the people he promotes to the management team he works with to the writers on his show has shown an extreme amount of loyalty.

deltachi8
04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I like Conan, but I think his act lends itself better to Late Night than a "primetime" late night show.

Many said the same thing about David Letterman

*BaseClogger*
04-27-2008, 10:52 PM
hell of an Adam Sandler impression on 'Celebrity Jeopardy'...

Ravenlord
04-28-2008, 03:07 AM
so Craig Ferguson is going to win. Huzzah, he's hillarious.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2008, 04:27 AM
What a horrible choice, but then Conan on the Tonight Show is also going to be a disaster

Says who? Leno is okay, but Conan is another league. Dude is hilarious.

Unassisted
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Knowing Jay Leno and his incredible streak of LOYALTY, I would say he entertains thoughts of ABC and FOX but will end up staying with NBC...I admit I could be dead wrong but in the past from the clubs he has worked to the people he promotes to the management team he works with to the writers on his show has shown an extreme amount of loyalty.Stays with NBC doing what? They've now filled both of the late night talk show slots.

If he does the same thing, the only places to do that are ABC and Fox, unless he dusts off the Arsenio Hall model and tries to put together a syndicated show.

Johnny Footstool
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
...Jimmy Falon is a VERY GOOD WRITER ...

I'd say he's better than Seth Myers, but he's still very hit-and-miss. I liked his take on Barry Gibb as a rage-fueled egomaniac, but his "Jared's Room" sketches were "Wayne's World" knock-offs filled with lame stoner jokes. His "Baaaston" sketches and his "Your Company's Computer Guy" bits were equally forgettable.

Chip R
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I liked him when he first came on SNL and was just doing musical impersonations on WU. But he wears thin.

Razor Shines
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Who said bring back Kilborn? Please, please no.

I thought Kilborn was great. I loved his show. I know a lot of people hated him, but his style of comedy is exactly my style.

improbus
04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Everyone knew that the Cone Zone was funny, but he had to adjust because he was never on TV before.

Fallon was already on TV and was very forgettable as a whole. He is kind of like a less childish version of Dane Cook, who is equally not funny.

Is he going to get Horatio Sanz to sit with him and laugh for an hour?

smith288
04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Terrible pick... A reason to shut off the tv for the night.

Jerry Narron
04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I wonder if he'll sit and laugh at his own jokes.

Yachtzee
04-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I wonder if he'll sit and laugh at his own jokes.

If he can make it to the punchline.

kheidg-
04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I dislike Jimmy Fallon more than almost any other character ever on SNL.

Chip R
04-30-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/28/DD4M10CLSJ.DTL

durl
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
None of these guys can top Johnny Carson. But while Carson wasn't a great stand-up comedian or writer, his show was the best. I believe it's because he was great at the most basic element of the show: the interview. Of all the people mentioned in this thread, Letterman is the most like Carson when it comes to the interview. Carson had some funny bits (that would be too tame by today's standards) but most of the time it was his reaction in the bits that made them better.

Honestly, rarely watch any of the late-night shows anymore. Leno is a terrible interviewer. Conan's show always seemed like he was a college kid doing a public access show. Letterman seemed like he stopped caring.

TC81190
04-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Everyone knew that the Cone Zone was funny, but he had to adjust because he was never on TV before.

Fallon was already on TV and was very forgettable as a whole. He is kind of like a less childish version of Dane Cook, who is equally not funny.

Is he going to get Horatio Sanz to sit with him and laugh for an hour?
I don't see the Fallon/Cook parallel. :confused:

vaticanplum
04-30-2008, 10:40 PM

The barometer for primetime late night television is Johnny Carson. And people may disagree with me, but I think Conan is a lot more similar to Carson than Leno is.

macro
12-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Rumors are swirling around Hollywood that NBC wants to replace Conan with Jerry Seinfeld on The Tonight Show. I certainly hope this doesn't happen, because Conan is absolutely hilarious. My wife is the toughest crowd for a comedian I've ever seen, and he even makes her laugh. The return of Andy Richter has made the show even better.

As it is now, I DVR Conan every night, just to see what he's going to do or say. It makes no difference who's on the guest list. I only record Leno, Letterman, and Fallon depending on who the guest is going to be, and it's rare that it's anyone I'm interested in hearing or seeing. If Seinfeld does replace Conan, The Tonight Show falls down to the ranks of "watch only if convenient to do so", along with the rest of them, for me.

dougdirt
12-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Man, Conan losing the job would S-U-C-K.... SUCK.

MWM
12-19-2009, 02:01 AM
I like Conan, but his style is not one that's going to appeal to the masses. He had a nice niche following when he was on later, but now that he has to hold onto the mainstream, large audience, I think his style is too polarizing. I'd hate to see him leave late night altogether, but I admit that I think Seinfeld doing the Tonight Show could be really good.

cincinnati chili
12-19-2009, 04:56 AM
I like Conan, but his style is not one that's going to appeal to the masses. He had a nice niche following when he was on later, but now that he has to hold onto the mainstream, large audience, I think his style is too polarizing. I'd hate to see him leave late night altogether, but I admit that I think Seinfeld doing the Tonight Show could be really good.

Maybe, but they said this about both Letterman and Leno early on. Letterman was considered too irreverent, and Leno didn't seem to have the cache a year or two after Carson left. Both are still gainfully employed years later. Leno, IMO, turned into a major kiss-ass, and I find his current show unwatchable. Nonetheless, he won the mainstream of America despite being very different from his predecessor.

I think Seinfeld would be a horrible long term choice. First of all, even if he can be funny on a nightly basis (not easy to do - much harder then telling the same jokes every night as a standup guy), he'll probably be bored with the job in a year or two.

If NBC goes for the big name, they will regret it.

Caveat Emperor
12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I find it ironic that NBC wants to bail on Conan and replace him with Seinfeld when, back when the show "Seinfeld" was on, there was pressure to bail on that early when it failed to find it's audience quickly.

Ravenlord
12-19-2009, 11:03 PM
and Craig Ferguson sits victorious.

GIK
12-20-2009, 12:32 AM
The problem is that Conan's audience is Dave's audience. Letterman fans probably switched over to see Conan at 12:30 and aren't leaving Dave to watch Conan at the same time.

I hope NBC gives him more time, though. Maybe boot Andy.

cincinnati chili
12-20-2009, 03:59 AM
The problem is that Conan's audience is Dave's audience. Letterman fans probably switched over to see Conan at 12:30 and aren't leaving Dave to watch Conan at the same time.

My unscientific poll of one person (me) tells me that former loyal Dave watchers are watching Conan most of the time instead.

According to this source, it's not just me. Conan's winning the 18-49 group six of the last seven weeks:
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/12/17/conan-obrien-leads-the-week-in-the-key-late-night-race-of-adults-18-49/36601

dougdirt
12-20-2009, 04:57 AM

I used to be a Letterman at 11:35 guy, then switch to Conan at 12:35. However now that they are head to head, its Conan in a landslide for me. Letterman just meant I wasn't listening to Jay Leno. Conan is someone I really enjoy.

Dom Heffner
12-20-2009, 10:56 AM

I think the problem is that Jay Leno is taking the air out of the Tonight Show.

GIK
12-20-2009, 11:17 AM
My unscientific poll of one person (me) tells me that former loyal Dave watchers are watching Conan most of the time instead.

According to this source, it's not just me. Conan's winning the 18-49 group six of the last seven weeks:
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/12/17/conan-obrien-leads-the-week-in-the-key-late-night-race-of-adults-18-49/36601

The same site has Dave beating Conan in the 25-54 demo:
CBS’s LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN topped “The Tonight Show” in viewers and adults 25-54 while THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON placed first in viewers and key demos (tied), according to Nielsen live plus same day ratings for the week ending Dec. 1.

It doesn't really matter to me. I like Conan over Jay and hope he gets a real shot at the 11:30 slot, but now that they're head to head, I'll pick Dave every time.

RBA
12-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I like Lopez Tonight on TNT, and Craig Ferguson. Leno and Conan reminds me I seen these same skits before when Carson and Lettermen did them first.

Rojo
12-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I kinda like the Seinfeld idea. Come to think of it, it's odd that there hasn't been a Jewish late-night host, unless you count John Stewart on Comedy Central. Carson, Letterman, Leno, Fallon, O'Brian, Fergurson, Steve Allen -- all goyim AFAIK. Not sure about Jack Parr.

Strikes Out Looking
12-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I kinda like the Seinfeld idea. Come to think of it, it's odd that there hasn't been a Jewish late-night host, unless you count John Stewart on Comedy Central. Carson, Letterman, Leno, Fallon, O'Brian, Fergurson, Steve Allen -- all goyim AFAIK. Not sure about Jack Parr.

Joan Rivers and Larry Sanders.

Jack Paar, not a member of the tribe.

RBA
12-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Jerry Lewis lasted a few days.

Dom Heffner
12-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Larry Sanders wasn't real, was he?

cincinnati chili
12-20-2009, 09:13 PM

As real as Liz Lemon is.

marcshoe
12-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm a former loyal Letterman watcher who would be watching Conan if I got to stay up that late anymore. Back when I was getting off work at one AM, I really grew to like him. It'd be a shame if NBC pulled the plug now--remember, his late, late gig took a while to take off too.

macro
12-21-2009, 12:36 AM
I think the problem is that Jay Leno is taking the air out of the Tonight Show.

I hadn't considered that, but you may be onto something. Perhaps people are getting their late night talk/comedy show fix by 11:00pm and then moving on to something else after the news goes off?

Caveat Emperor
12-21-2009, 01:24 AM
I hadn't considered that, but you may be onto something. Perhaps people are getting their late night talk/comedy show fix by 11:00pm and then moving on to something else after the news goes off?

Or, maybe, some of Leno's audience hasn't migrated to Conan because they're watching Jay early and not watching anything later.

Jay's show is a whole different bag of worms -- NBC needs to do something with that because it's tanking their weeknight lineups.

Roy Tucker
12-21-2009, 09:28 AM
When Letterman and Leno went head-to-head, I'd watch Dave and then pop over to Jay during commericals. I used to think "say, Leno isn't all that bad".

And then I tried to watch Leno's 10 pm show. Man, I made it about a day and then said "I can't take this, what a bunch of pap". Ugh. IMO, NBC has made a bunch of bad decisions. Maybe Comcast will breathe some new life (or at least some sense) into them. I think they still need to let it sort out. Replacing Conan would be a knee-jerk reaction.

Chip R
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM

If those numbers chili posted are true, NBC should be delerious with those numbers. That is the group that buys stuff.

Jay's show is a whole different bag of worms -- NBC needs to do something with that because it's tanking their weeknight lineups.

That's it right there. It's not that Conan is failing, it's that Leno's show is tanking. NBC has a big commitment to Leno but this show of his is so bad it's killing local news shows on NBC affiliates. The Seinfeld thing seems like misdirection to me and the Conan criticism is justification for dropping him. What probably will happen is that NBC will finally have enough of Leno's show and drop him back into the 11:30 spot. Sucks for Conan, though. I don't watch a lot of these late night shows but his show seems pretty good. (And so does Fallon to my surprise.)

redsfandan
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I hadn't heard that NBC was down on Conan. But I wouldn't mind if this happens:

NBC cans Conan.

Dave moves to 10:00 slot.

CBS picks up Conan for 11:30 slot.

CBS ends up with Dave, Conan, and Craig and I don't have to mess with the remote. :)

Caveat Emperor
12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I hadn't heard that NBC was down on Conan. But I wouldn't mind if this happens:

NBC cans Conan.

Dave moves to 10:00 slot.

CBS picks up Conan for 11:30 slot.

CBS ends up with Dave, Conan, and Craig and I don't have to mess with the remote. :)

I guess -- but you'd have the same problem on CBS that you have on NBC: you're getting the same show once at 10:00 and again at 11:30.

The problem isn't Leno or Conan -- the problem is that both shows have the exact same format. Monologue, skit, celebrity interview, skit / second guest, credits. Even if both shows are well done, the viewer is going to get tired of watching the same thing twice in one night.

If Leno was doing more of a variety show, it might work -- but his format is essentially unchanged from his Tonight Show days. Either he has to change or Conan has to change because there isn't room for two of them on the same network, plus Dave and the late-nighter (Fallon & Ferguson). It's too much.

Rojo
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM

If you count Joan Rivers you can count Joey Bishop. Both short-lived.

macro
12-21-2009, 03:54 PM
What probably will happen is that NBC will finally have enough of Leno's show and drop him back into the 11:30 spot.

And return Jay back to hosting The Tonight Show? I just don't see that happening. I think the "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" ship has sailed.

KronoRed
12-21-2009, 06:03 PM
I think more then likely they will let Leno go and he'll end up somewhere else with an 11:30 show.

Chip R
12-22-2009, 01:26 PM
And return Jay back to hosting The Tonight Show? I just don't see that happening. I think the "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" ship has sailed.

Exactly. I'm not saying it's right. Lord knows Leno had his problems when he first started and there were some execs at NBC who were ready to pull the plug on him. But he survived and eventually thrived. The easy solution - if they percieve there's a problem - is that they boot Conan and pay him off then drop Leno back into his old spot. He's a known quantity and he's more mainstream than Conan. The thing you need to know about Leno is that he craves work. When he did stand up he was on the road nearly every night in one club or another. He certainly didn't take a lot of vacations when he was on the Tonight Show. If they cancel his show, he isn't going to be happy to just get paid off.

Dom Heffner
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Leno was #1 for close to 15 years. He was at the top of his game, and now they have this muddled mess that makes no sense.

Not sure how you fix this....

Razor Shines
12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Leno was #1 for close to 15 years. He was at the top of his game, and now they have this muddled mess that makes no sense.

Dump Conan and Leno, hire Kilborn to do two hours.

Reds4Life
12-22-2009, 05:22 PM

I could see it happening. It's all about ratings and money, and if NBC can make more of it by putting Leno back on The Tonight Show, they will do so.

I've never cared for Conan, since he took over I've stopped watching The Tonight Show.

Sea Ray
12-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Was Leno ahead of Letterman when he left the 11:30 time slot? I thought Letterman had surpassed him

Sea Ray
12-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I could see it happening. It's all about ratings and money, and if NBC can make more of it by putting Leno back on The Tonight Show, they will do so.

I've never cared for Conan, since he took over I've stopped watching The Tonight Show.

I know a lot of folks that agree with you. It makes me wonder how Conan's gotten this far

dougdirt
12-22-2009, 05:35 PM
I know a lot of folks that agree with you. It makes me wonder how Conan's gotten this far

Because he is hilarious. Jay Leno makes me want to go to sleep with his jokes that aren't funny.

Sea Ray
12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Because he is hilarious. Jay Leno makes me want to go to sleep with his jokes that aren't funny.

The ratings don't agree with you. It appears his ratings are lower than Jay's ever were in that time slot

dougdirt
12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
The ratings don't agree with you. It appears his ratings are lower than Jay's ever were in that time slot

That is because everyone who watched Jay is still watching Jay. How would Leno's ratings have looked when he took over for JC if JC still kept a show, but moved up to 10? Even more ugly than they actually were. Instead, Jay picked up a LOT of JC's viewers. Conan isn't getting hardly any of Leno's old viewers because they are still watching Leno on the same channel.

Strikes Out Looking
12-22-2009, 07:03 PM

No, but Shandling was the co-permanent guest host with Leno for awhile in the 80's. And he was much better.

Sea Ray
12-23-2009, 02:04 AM
That is because everyone who watched Jay is still watching Jay. How would Leno's ratings have looked when he took over for JC if JC still kept a show, but moved up to 10? Even more ugly than they actually were. Instead, Jay picked up a LOT of JC's viewers. Conan isn't getting hardly any of Leno's old viewers because they are still watching Leno on the same channel.

What are the Leno viewers watching at 11:30pm?

Sea Ray
12-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Doug, the facts don't back you up. The facts show that Conan had horrible ratings long before Leno ever started his 10pm show (in Sept)

This is from mid July and it's headlined "Conan Continues to Hemorrhage viewers"

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/07/conan_and_dave.html

dougdirt
12-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Doug, the facts don't back you up. The facts show that Conan had horrible ratings long before Leno ever started his 10pm show (in Sept)

This is from mid July and it's headlined "Conan Continues to Hemorrhage viewers"

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/07/conan_and_dave.html

And did the Leno fans know that Leno would have a show coming up?

dougdirt
12-23-2009, 02:23 AM

Who knows.

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 08:03 AM

We're not watching late night talk shows anymore, that's for sure. Anything but.

Fallon is booooorrrrrrring and not the least bit funny. He's totally out of his element. It's like watching Chevy Chase's attempt at a late-night talk show. Chase had Goldie Hawn as his first guest figuring that would be a slam-dunk for interviewing, and even he knew that his career was over the first night half-way through the show. Now, that was funny. Sad, but funny.

Conan can be funny with the right guest if you only catch him a couple times a year, but his acting like a 5-year old without his Ridalin gets old really fast. A great writer, a poor comedian.

Kimmel is funny, but he has crappy guests and his "side-kicks" are stupid.

Letterman hasn't been funny in the last 20 years.

Leno's "Headlines" are funny, and his interviewing of "dumb people on the streets" is funny.

Ferguson isn't funny.

Carson Daly is too "hip" for his own good and he's not funny at all.

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Well, then they've got a hit.

Sea Ray
12-23-2009, 09:40 AM
And did the Leno fans know that Leno would have a show coming up?

I have no idea nor do I know what that question has to do with Conan's ratings

RBA
12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
We're not watching late night talk shows anymore, that's for sure. Anything but.

Fallon is booooorrrrrrring and not the least bit funny. He's totally out of his element. It's like watching Chevy Chase's attempt at a late-night talk show. Chase had Goldie Hawn as his first guest figuring that would be a slam-dunk for interviewing, and even he knew that his career was over the first night half-way through the show. Now, that was funny. Sad, but funny.

Conan can be funny with the right guest if you only catch him a couple times a year, but his acting like a 5-year old without his Ridalin gets old really fast. A great writer, a poor comedian.

Kimmel is funny, but he has crappy guests and his "side-kicks" are stupid.

Letterman hasn't been funny in the last 20 years.

Leno's "Headlines" are funny, and his interviewing of "dumb people on the streets" is funny.

Ferguson isn't funny.

Carson Daly is too "hip" for his own good and he's not funny at all.

Wow, I guess the networks should just hire you to pick their programming/talent or maybe even host your own show. :D:eek: Since no one meets your standards as funny.

Sea Ray
12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow, I guess the networks should just hire you to pick their programming/talent or maybe even host your own show. :D:eek: Since no one meets your standards as funny.

Can't do any worse than NBC under Jeff Zucker...

Roy Tucker
12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Can't do any worse than NBC under Jeff Zucker...

Indeed. They took something that was working well and pretty well wrecked it.

From Wiki

Popularity

The main competitor of The Late Show is NBC's The Tonight Show, for nearly 16 years hosted by Jay Leno, but since June 1, 2009 hosted by Conan O'Brien. In 1993 and 1994, The Late Show consistently gained higher ratings than Tonight. But in 1995, ratings dipped and Leno's show consistently beat Letterman's in the ratings; Leno typically attracted about 5 million nightly viewers between 1999 and 2009. The Late Show lost nearly half its audience during its competition with Leno, attracting 7.1 million viewers nightly in its 1993-94 season and about 3.8 million per night as of Leno's departure in 2009.[18] In his final months as host of The Tonight Show, Leno beat Letterman in the ratings by a 1.3 million viewer margin (5.2 million to 3.9 million), and Nightline and The Late Show were virtually tied.[19] Once O'Brien took over Tonight, however, Letterman closed the gap in the ratings.[20][21][22] O'Brien initially drove the median age of Tonight Show viewers from 55 to 45, with most older viewers opting to watch The Late Show instead.[23]

Sea Ray
12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
I think we know where the Leno viewers are now. Thanks Roy

Kingspoint
12-24-2009, 03:19 AM

There's some real bad programming out there, and those shows I mentioned are perfect examples.

Kingspoint
12-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Indeed. They took something that was working well and pretty well wrecked it.

From WikiGood answer. It backed up what I said with some stats.

There are so many people that will watch anything just to have the TV on, so many ratings will have viewers for that reason. But when you show comparisons as you did, it's the comparisons that shows valid increased and decreased interest.

I was just more blunt, which I will always be.

I watched Conan the other night because John Kraszinski was on. It was funny, as was Conan's mixology segment. But, that 5-year-old-without-his-Redalin humor of his is good for about once every two months or so.

Good humor is good humor. It usually comes from the writers. It takes only "capable" actors/comedians to pull it off. Shows like "The Office" still put out great humor. "My Name is Earl" was hilarious, but it, too got stale. "King of Queens" had less funny moments, but it had some, if you liked it's type of humor. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. Over the last 20 years, I rarely watch anything that's on ABC, NBC, or CBS until it's 3rd Season or so, as the chances of getting anything worth my time is about a 50-1 shot. I end up accidentally catching something and it's pretty obvious right away if it's any good. That's how it was with "My Name is Earl" and "The Office", though I caught the former at the end of it's first season, but not "The Office" until it's 4th. The same is with "Scrubs", where I didn't watch one of it's shows until maybe it's 5th or 6th season, and that's because I liked Zach Braff's movie at the theater he made where he wrote, directed, and acted in it himself.

Dom Heffner
12-24-2009, 10:31 AM
One thing I hate about Conan O'Brien: the way he makes each and every single interview about himself.

He one-ups every guest anecdote with some put-down on Conan O'Brien.

Self deprecation is fine, but at some point it starts to sound like you're fishing for compliments.

We get it, you have red hair and you're Irish. You don't tan well. You're pale. It gets old.

I do think his humor worked better at 12:30, though you do have more freedom in that time slot, in his defense.

I'm still scratching my head as to why you would take a show that was number one and then replace the host.

frenetic wave
12-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I get the annoying factor of Conan O'Brien, however, when has Jay Leno ever been funny in the past 15 years?

When he interviews a guest he sits there and gives a cold, disinterested "Oh yeah" and "Alright" in the middle of their sentences. He never responds or even reacts to anything a guest will say and when a guest says something that gets a lot of laughs, he always squirms in his seat awkwardly waiting for the audience to stop so he can ask the next question. For that matter, watch any interview where the guest is getting a lot of laughs, Jay Leno will ALWAYS interrupt their flow by saying "OK..." and "Well..." in the middle of what they are saying, it never fails. It's like he is saying, "Ok, that's enough". And yeah, while Conan's witty comebacks steal focus and are predictable, Jay Leno's 'witty' comebacks make no sense at all. A female guest will say "The film crew was really glad to find out we were shooting a love scene that day", the audience laughs, then Jay Leno will lean forward and say "They're probably not as glad as the film crew here!". I get that his show was #1 but he is a very bad representation of what "comedy" or "funny" is. Take all those old folks who adore him and have them watch a mid-level stand up show at their local Improv and they will see 4-5 comics who are funnier than Jay Leno on the Tonight Show.

yab1112
12-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm a big Conan fan so I feel like I have to post here.

I'm still scratching my head as to why you would take a show that was number one and then replace the host.
IIRC, Jay said he was retiring then somewhere down the line (after Conan was announced as the new host) he decided he wasn't ready to leave yet.

his acting like a 5-year old without his Ridalin gets old really fast. A great writer, a poor comedian
I can certainly appreciate why someone would feel this way, but I don't. It's worth noting that his antics are not random, everything is calculated. He talked about it when he went on "Inside the Actors Studio" with James Lipton. You can watch the segment on youtube.

He's gotten this far because there are a lot of people that disagree with Reds4Life. I know many people my age (early 20s) that like Conan's style. In contrast, I never watched Leno because I didn't find him funny-at all.

I don't think the considerable early dip in the ratings is a true measuring stick. It's easy to see why someone who watched Leno (or Dave) wouldn't stick with Conan after the switch. Their styles are so different, it's hard to imagine a person who would appreciate both. Additionally, most of Conan's fans are probably younger and not necessarily watching tv at 11:30 on a consistent basis.

The bottom line is that as Conan's core group of fans age, his ratings will rise, and any new, young viewers will surely choose Conan over Dave.

cincinnati chili
12-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I heard David Bianculli on Fresh air yesterday. He "awarded" the Jay Leno Show the worst television show of 2009, and predicts that the ratings are so far below what was projected that some affiliates will "revolt" - i.e. stop carrying it in its normal timeslot because the affiliates can make more money from syndicated programming.

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13&prgDate=12-23-2009

(click on either the sound link or transcript link for David Bianculli)

Dom Heffner
12-25-2009, 12:36 PM
IIRC, Jay said he was retiring then somewhere down the line (after Conan was announced as the new host) he decided he wasn't ready to leave yet

He was asked to go, and wanted to stay.

yab1112
12-25-2009, 03:31 PM
He was asked to go, and wanted to stay.

After a little googling, it seems like you're right. As to why NBC would do something so seemingly illogical, this article (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/news/article_1387618.php/NBCs_Jay_Leno_Conan_OBrien_conundrum) attempts to explain it.

savafan
01-07-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/07/jay-leno-nbc-conan-obrien-tonight-show/

Jay Leno is going back to his 11:30 PM time slot, and it's looking like Conan O'Brien is the odd man out ... sources tell TMZ.

We've learned Jay's 10:00 PM show will go on hiatus February 1. After the Olympics, Jay will take back his 11:30 PM time slot. What has not been decided -- whether Jay's show will be a half hour, followed by Conan, or whether Jay's show will be an hour and NBC says sayonara to Mr. O'Brien.

We're told Jay and Conan have both been told of the changes. As for Jay, interestingly, he'll get what he always wanted -- his 11:30 PM time slot.

Chip R
01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
That's a shame.

Reds4Life
01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
A half hour show for Leno? I don't see that happening, it's way to short, and not really enough time for guests.

My guess is Leno takes over the Tonight Show once more, and Conan is gone.

Joseph
01-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Seems like they should get rid of Fallon.

redsfandan
01-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I get the annoying factor of Conan O'Brien, however, when has Jay Leno ever been funny in the past 15 years?

When he interviews a guest he sits there and gives a cold, disinterested "Oh yeah" and "Alright" in the middle of their sentences. He never responds or even reacts to anything a guest will say and when a guest says something that gets a lot of laughs, he always squirms in his seat awkwardly waiting for the audience to stop so he can ask the next question. For that matter, watch any interview where the guest is getting a lot of laughs, Jay Leno will ALWAYS interrupt their flow by saying "OK..." and "Well..." in the middle of what they are saying, it never fails. It's like he is saying, "Ok, that's enough". And yeah, while Conan's witty comebacks steal focus and are predictable, Jay Leno's 'witty' comebacks make no sense at all. A female guest will say "The film crew was really glad to find out we were shooting a love scene that day", the audience laughs, then Jay Leno will lean forward and say "They're probably not as glad as the film crew here!". I get that his show was #1 but he is a very bad representation of what "comedy" or "funny" is. Take all those old folks who adore him and have them watch a mid-level stand up show at their local Improv and they will see 4-5 comics who are funnier than Jay Leno on the Tonight Show.
Chances are, in that example, he's trying to find a way to keep the discussion pg-13, steer the conversation in a way to help out the guests (away from the more tabloid ready stuff), find a way to capitalize on what they said to get more laughs, or something like that. Leno's no idiot.

The bottom line is that as Conan's core group of fans age, his ratings will rise, and any new, young viewers will surely choose Conan over Dave.
OR the young viewers will watch whoever is the latest hot talk show host that comes along.

With the latest news my bet is Conan ends up on a cable network or Fox.

KronoRed
01-08-2010, 12:11 AM
The Tonight Show is getting beat badly by Nightline, not a good sign.

Conan will be let go with a ton of cash and end up on Fox.

redsfandan
01-08-2010, 12:32 AM
The Tonight Show is getting beat badly by Nightline, not a good sign.

Conan will be let go with a ton of cash and end up on Fox.
Maybe I'm wrong but hasn't Nightline always done pretty well in the ratings?

KronoRed
01-08-2010, 12:50 AM
It has, but it's rarely topped The Tonight Show, now it's not even close, 4.2 million to 2.5 million I think it was.

gilpdawg
01-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I thought Conan would work out, and I think he probably would have, had NBC not cannibalized the audience by putting Leno on early. When Jay decided he didn't want to retire, why didn't they just delay the switch? As long as Conan was anointed the heir apparent, he'd probably be happy to stay at 12:35 for awhile longer. Instead now they've killed Jay's momentum and they'll probably lose Conan and now they're really under a barrel when Jay finally leaves for good.

frenetic wave
01-08-2010, 04:08 AM
Jay Leno is a non-threatening face that makes non-threatening jokes. That's his appeal. Familiarity. Seniors would love and watch his show if it was just a cardboard cut-out of his face that made non-scary gibberish sounds, with shots of Kevin Eubanks cut in between. That's all they want.

Now put an unfamiliar (scary) face on TV and no matter how funny the person is, they want Jay back. Give us Jay back. We know him. The idea is better explained/shown in this SNL Digital Short:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10235/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-grandkids-in-the-movies

Razor Shines
01-08-2010, 06:30 AM
I thought Conan would work out, and I think he probably would have, had NBC not cannibalized the audience by putting Leno on early. When Jay decided he didn't want to retire, why didn't they just delay the switch? As long as Conan was anointed the heir apparent, he'd probably be happy to stay at 12:35 for awhile longer. Instead now they've killed Jay's momentum and they'll probably lose Conan and now they're really under a barrel when Jay finally leaves for good.

No, they won't be. This is all part of their master plan to get rid of Leno and Conan to make way for Craig Kilborn to take over the Tonight Show.

Newport Red
01-08-2010, 04:15 PM
No, they won't be. This is all part of their master plan to get rid of Leno and Conan to make way for Craig Kilborn to take over the Tonight Show.

No one thinks Jon Stewart moves over to network TV?

Eric_the_Red
01-08-2010, 04:16 PM
No one thinks Jon Stewart moves over to network TV?

Stewart needs the freedom of cable, IMO.

jimbo
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Seems like they should get rid of Fallon.

Of the 3, Fallon's show is my favorite.

macro
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20335939,00.html

It's Official: NBC Canceling Jay Leno's Prime-Time Show
By Cynthia Wang

Sunday January 10, 2010 02:00 PM EST

Jay's walking off prime time.

Confirming days of rumors, Jeff Gaspin, the chairman of NBC Universal Entertainment, on Sunday announced that starting Feb. 12, The Jay Leno Show will no longer air at 10 p.m. but that the network hoped to keep Leno for an 11:35 p.m. show, Conan O'Brien for 12:05 p.m. and then Jimmy Fallon after that.

But, Gaspin adds, "It's not a done deal yet."

Gaspin admits that The Jay Leno Show "did not meet affiliate needs" but that through it all, Leno and O'Brien have been "incredibly gracious and professional."

"Beyond that is a private conversation and when it all settles, you can talk to them about that," Gaspin says. "We're back in conversation tomorrow."

When asked why O'Brien would choose to remain at NBC with other networks interested in him, Gaspin says, "Conan's motivation will become more clear as time goes on. We gave something important to him, which was The Tonight Show, made it clear that it was moving with him. Conan wanted the franchise of The Tonight Show; Jay wanted to tell jokes at 11:30. Still things [need] to be worked out."

I hope Conan agrees to the move to 12:05am and everything works out from there. I never watch anything live, but rather record it, so I don't care what time it comes on.

Dom Heffner
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
What a colossal cluster____.

cincinnati chili
01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I hope Conan agrees to the move to 12:05am and everything works out from there. I never watch anything live, but rather record it, so I don't care what time it comes on.

I don't know what everyone's contract says, but I kind of hope Conan tells NBC to go screw and then jumps to another network.

paintmered
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd love to see Conan jump to a cable network.

Jpup
01-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I think Conan will end up on CBS after Dave. Just a hunch. What kind of ratings does Ferguson get? I can't imagine they would be very good.

Roy Tucker
01-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Sounds like NBC just continues to screw things up. It sounds like they are trying to keep everyone happy which is what got them in this mess to begin with. I think they have to realize that someone is going to get the short end of the stick and then pull the plug on that guy.

And what in the world are they going to put on every night at 10 pm? Barney Miller re-runs?

JaxRed
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I think Conan sucks it up and accepts whatever NBC gives him. He'll never get another contract like that one.

Reds4Life
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
I think Conan ends up on Fox. They want a late night show, and have the $$$ to pay him. He'll probably tell NBC to take a hike.

Chip R
01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Sounds like NBC just continues to screw things up. It sounds like they are trying to keep everyone happy which is what got them in this mess to begin with. I think they have to realize that someone is going to get the short end of the stick and then pull the plug on that guy.

And what in the world are they going to put on every night at 10 pm? Barney Miller re-runs?

I'd watch that. Sounds like they are going to put a lot of pilots on there.

Rojo
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
What a colossal cluster____.

Funny how one wrong move can lead to series of bad moves. Not offering the Tonight Show to Letterman gave CBS an "in" on late night, which NBC owned for years.

redsfandan
01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey now, that was a good show ... umm 30 years ago. lol

KronoRed
01-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Barney Miller is STILL a good show :)

TC81190
01-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Silver lining in the cloud to all of this, this should finally lead to the end of Last Call with Carson Daly.

Newport Red
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM

The Seinfeld cast could use the work.

Caveat Emperor
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Tonight on Conan:

"Guys, guys -- settle down...otherwise this monolgue won't start until 12:05."

"Hi, I'm Conan O'Brien -- new host of 'Last Call with Carson Daly'"

Brutal. And I love it. ;)

Kingspoint
01-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Barney Miller is STILL a good show :)

No kidding. Give me a Barney Miller rerun over any of these late night talk show hosts any time.

Roy Tucker
01-12-2010, 08:56 AM
For the record, I like Barney Miller too. Because of the odd way my brain works, it was the first show I could think of to put on.

I saw where Southland is on TNT now. NBC should have kept it in its Thurs. 10 pm slot. It is very good.

Chip R
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I saw where Southland is on TNT now. NBC should have kept it in its Thurs. 10 pm slot. It is very good.

I thought I read somewhere where NBC has already cancelled it.

Razor Shines
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I thought I read somewhere where NBC has already cancelled it.

It is canceled but TNT is going to replay the 7 episodes from last seen plus the first 6 that are already filmed for this season. After that, who knows?

yab1112
01-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Silver lining in the cloud to all of this, this should finally lead to the end of Last Call with Carson Daly.

Amen.

jimbo
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Conan has released a statement saying he will not do the Tonight Show at 12:05 am. NBC is really shooting themselves in the foot with this whole situation, what a shame.

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-says-he-wont-do-tonight-show-following-leno/

KronoRed
01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
NBC needs to let Leno go now or they will never be free of him.

Roy Tucker
01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
I guess we know where Conan stands now.

I think it would be a shabby thing to do, but NBC needs to let go of Leno and move on with the young guys. That's where the future is. Let the chips fall where they may with Leno. If he goes to a competitor and makes hay there, then so be it.

Boy have they made a mess of this. I'd have a public beheading of the parties responsible.

redsfandan
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, I suspected this could happen but is there anyone (in charge) at NBC with any sense? lol

Reds4Life
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Guess that mean Jay gets The Tonight Show back, and Conan gets the boot. Jay had good ratings with the show, Conan's are horrible. I can't see them letting Leno go in favor of Conan when the show has performed so poorly.

Chip R
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
NBC needs to let Leno go now or they will never be free of him.

Jay's probably going to be there till he dies. Seriously.

pedro
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch jay leno.

Joseph
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Good for Conan.

macro
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd love to see Conan sign up with another network for an 11:35pm show and kill Jay in the ratings. Fox would seem to be the logical choice, since CBS has Letterman and ABC has Nightline.

Caveat Emperor
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Conan has released a statement saying he will not do the Tonight Show at 12:05 am. NBC is really shooting themselves in the foot with this whole situation, what a shame.

Watching his show last night, there was no doubt where he stood. NBC is going to have to pull the plug on him, IMO. It's become obvious that Leno has, again, worked the political angle of things to his advantage and that NBC is not going to simply drop him (as they should).

With it being a given that Leno is going to 11:35, NBC can't let Conan continue to get free airtime to air his grievances against the network and (potentially) advertise himself for his next late night gig.

dougdirt
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I just want to be able to watch more Conan after this fiasco.

westofyou
01-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch jay leno.

I miss Johnny Carson from the 70's

RedsBaron
01-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Me too.

Reds Fanatic
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
It is an interesting situation because from what I have read NBC will owe Conan about $60 million if they take him off the Tonight show. For a struggling network I don't see them wanting to pay that money. They probably hope he just leaves and goes to Fox if they really want to give the job back to Leno.

Chip R
01-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Ha ha! Right you are, sir.

Roy Tucker
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Watching his show last night, there was no doubt where he stood. NBC is going to have to pull the plug on him, IMO. It's become obvious that Leno has, again, worked the political angle of things to his advantage and that NBC is not going to simply drop him (as they should).

With it being a given that Leno is going to 11:35, NBC can't let Conan continue to get free airtime to air his grievances against the network and (potentially) advertise himself for his next late night gig.

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2010/01/conanmon.html

Conan strikes again! More monologue zingers aimed at NBC; Craig piles on, too

NBC executive Jeff Gaspin told reporters on Sunday that he was giving Conan O'Brien and crew the weekend to think about the network's offer to bump "The Tonight Show" to 12:05, when, as someone pointed out, it's technically "The Tomorrow Show."

Well, apparently Conan and Co. spent at least some of that time cooking up more jokes. Here is what he told audiences at tonight's (Monday's) taping of "Tonight," followed by Craig Ferguson's not-entirely-sympathetic comments, also delivered tonight.

Good evening. I'm Conan O'Brien, the new host of "Last Call with Carson Daly."

This weekend no one was seriously hurt, but a 6.5 earthquake hit California. The earthquake was so powerful that it knocked Jay Leno's show from 10 o'clock to 11:35.

Everybody now wants to know what my plans are. All I can say is that I plan to continue putting on a great show night after night- while stealing as many office supplies as humanly possible.

On the positive side, I have learned a valuable lesson from all this: never sign a contract that ends with the word "NOT."

NBC announced that they expect to lose $200 million on the Winter Olympics next month. Is it just me or is that story hilarious? [And then later in the monologue....]

As I mentioned, NBC is shaking up its late night lineup yet again. They want to move Jay Leno back to 11:35. And there are a lot of rumors about what I'm going to do.

I've got a lot of options. I thought I'd share some of them with you right now..

I could...

- Host the Tonight Show at 12:05

- Star in a Lifetime original movie about a woman trapped in an abusive relationship with her network.

- Go to ABC and star in a male redhead version of 'Cougartown' called 'Redwolf Village'.

- Host a show on B.E.T. called 'White All Night'.

- Move to FOX and follow their hit "24" with a new show called "24:05."

- Televise my own colonoscopy on the Bravo Channel in a show called 'Project Funway'.

- Convince NBC to let me keep this time slot if I can gain 10 pounds of chin.

- Andy and I will become a team of wacky morning DJ's called 'Big Red And The Booger'.

- Pretend to put my son in a giant foil balloon, then sit back and watch the offers come pouring in!

- Perform the show live every night from Zanies Comedy Club at 7:30 and 9:30. (1/2 price drinks if you tell 'em "Coco" sent ya!)

- Bring sanity back to NBC by hiring Gary Busey as head of programming.

- Leave television altogether and work in a classier business with better people, like hard core porn.

Craig Ferguson's comments

“If you haven’t heard the news about the Late Night wars thing then congratulations, you have a life! But apparently Jay Leno is going back to 11:30. (Jay voice) “It’s a true story.” It is not a smooth transition though, a lot of feelings are getting hurt. And I like Jay and Conan. I honestly feel for them both. You know the world is on its ass when David Letterman and I are considered the ‘stable ones.’”

“It was really awkward this weekend at the Late Night Host Clubhouse. You know we all live together in a big house, it’s like on “Jersey Shore.” I share a bunk bed with Jimmy Fallon. He is farty, but it is okay because he’s on the bottom bunk right now. We switched a while back. David Letterman is king of the household. He gets his own room. No one knows what goes on in there, except his lawyers & the FBI. The NBC wing is very confusing: Jay Leno used to have his own room, now he is back to sharing with Conan. And Carson Daly doesn’t get a room at all, he sits in a corner in the kitchen saying, (rocking) “TRL… TRL…”

“Starting next month, Jay Leno will be on for a half hour. Conan “might” be on at midnight. But Conan apparently hasn’t decided what to do. And I am thinking, well they are looking for a judge at American Idol.”

“The truth is though I have to be honest about this. This is not Jay Leno’s fault. And it is not Conan O’Brien’s fault. Let’s just call it what it is. This whole mess is a direct result of atrocious management by a once great American network. The networks just do not treat late night shows with respect. For example, this morning my caviar was supposed to get here at 10:00 am. And it did not get here until 10:05, which completely ruined my massage. What I am saying, I think is, it is a bunch of middle age white guys arguing over who gets “X” million dollars, who gives a f*#%?”

Reds4Life
01-12-2010, 07:44 PM
TMZ is reporting that Jay Leno is getting The Tonight show back, they are working on the details now.

redsfandan
01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I wonder if Conan has compared notes with Letterman. NBC is a trip.

Kingspoint
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
All good things come to an end.

RBA
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
A lot of the problems with Conan's ratings is the lead-in shows. People are tuning out NBC at 10 pm and tuning into the other networks. This causes NBC affiliate local news station to suffer in the ratings causing Conan to be not as highly rated when Leno had the show. When Leno had the Tonight Show, NBC had a decent 10 pm line up with some hits such as ER to lead into the local news and carry into his show.

I'm a Letterman fan, but if Conan had a decent 10 PM NBC line-up, Conan would be a lot better off, might even have ratings higher than Leno.
I think Letterman was about done, but NBC's handling of this has given Dave a new life. Letterman will not going to step aside for Conan at this time as Letterman is in the number one spot. But Letterman does own the Late Show and Letterman stands to gain another 20 years of income, if he turns the Late Show over to Conan. Letterman does not have 20 more years in him, Conan does. So, Dave needs to decide: EGO or Money. Dave is a shrewd businessman, he's going to try and get Conan. Conan values time slot over money and Dave can do that for him. This is my opinion, look for Conan to be hosting the Late Show, about the same time Oprah's last show.

cincinnati chili
01-13-2010, 01:29 AM
I think Conan, Letterman, and Craig Ferguson are great in their own ways and Leno is horrible. I hadn't heard RBA's theory, but I'm in favor of it.

Conan's monologue on Monday was awesome and i look forward to tonight's. Caveat E may be right that the network execs won't stand by as Conan rips them to shreds, but in the short short term, I imagine the ratings will be strong as people tune in during the controversy.

yab1112
01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Conan's monologue on Monday was awesome and i look forward to tonight's. Caveat E may be right that the network execs won't stand by as Conan rips them to shreds, but in the short short term, I imagine the ratings will be strong as people tune in during the controversy.

Did you see Craig Ferguson last night? He didn't just limit it to the monologue, he spent the entire show ripping NBC, and not subtly either. ;) I have to admit, the guy is growing on me.

I'd love to see Conan sign up with another network for an 11:35pm show and kill Jay in the ratings. Fox would seem to be the logical choice, since CBS has Letterman and ABC has Nightline.

I feel bad for Conan because he spent so long trying to get to this point then wasn't given a chance. If it has to end between him and NBC, I agree with Macro and I hope he gets a chance to show them all.

Caveat Emperor
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Did you see Craig Ferguson last night? He didn't just limit it to the monologue, he spent the entire show ripping NBC, and not subtly either. ;) I have to admit, the guy is growing on me.

Ferguson is really, really funny. I had never given his show a chance until recently, and I'm really glad that I DVR it now.

BTW -- Jimmy Kimmel got in on the act too. He dressed up like Leno (complete with fake chin) and did his entire show as a Leno impersonation last night. His take on the "Headlines" bit was downright scathing, IMO.

Yachtzee
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM

I've always had the impression that Leno, for all his nicey-niceness on TV, is a pretty devious guy.

Chip R
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I've always had the impression that Leno, for all his nicey-niceness on TV, is a pretty devious guy.

Perhaps. Maybe he needed to do it to survive. When he first started on the Tonight Show they were ready to give him the boot. IIRC, he hid in a closet at an excecutives' meeting and found out what they were trying to do with him. I don't know what all went down with booting him off the Tonight Show but it seems like it was NBC's decision, not Leno's.

Yachtzee
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Perhaps. Maybe he needed to do it to survive. When he first started on the Tonight Show they were ready to give him the boot. IIRC, he hid in a closet at an excecutives' meeting and found out what they were trying to do with him. I don't know what all went down with booting him off the Tonight Show but it seems like it was NBC's decision, not Leno's.

I got the feeling he was pulling a Bret Favre, saying he was going to retire after his last contract, at which point NBC signed Conan to a contract giving the Tonight Show to him after Leno's contract was up. Then Leno decides he doesn't want to go and puts NBC in a situation where they either keep Leno and give Conan a huge buyout or give the Tonight Show to Conan and try to appease Leno in some other way.

Roy Tucker
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Pretty good interview with Leno from last June in RS...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31770622/jay_leno_the_rolling_stone_interview

cincinnati chili
01-13-2010, 11:51 PM
When [Leno] first started on the Tonight Show they were ready to give him the boot. IIRC, he hid in a closet at an excecutives' meeting and found out what they were trying to do with him.

Yes, even if you didn't think he was all that funny, at one time Jay Leno was a sympathetic figure. Sort of like how I felt bad for Lane Kiffin when he worked for Al Davis.

In retrospect, I wasted my time feeling sorry for these guys.

MWM
01-14-2010, 01:04 AM
It's sure been fun watching the monologues of all the late night shows recently.

Kingspoint
01-14-2010, 03:55 AM
It's sure been fun watching the monologues of all the late night shows recently.
No kidding. With all of this stuff going on, late night has been funny again.

Big Klu
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM

Ha ha! Right you are, sir.

http://www.hiyoooo.com/

jimbo
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Conan is using his entire show to tell us how he really feels, not just the monologues. Even his guests were getting in on the act last night. First time I've watched Conan in months and I laughed the entire hour. The whole ordeal is bringing me back. I think his ratings are going to skyrocket and will end up only helping him in the long run, whether he stays at NBC or not.

Strikes Out Looking
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
If I was NBC, I'd make Triumph the host of the Tonight Show. He's the funniest of them all.

yab1112
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
It appears like it's official according to TMZ.

Jay Leno has made a new deal with NBC, which gives him "The Tonight Show" from 11:35 - 12:35 ... sources tell TMZ.

As we first reported, under the contract Jay had been working under, he was guaranteed the 10 PM hour. By moving him to 11:35, NBC was in breach of his contract and needed to negotiate a new deal. That is now done, sources tell TMZ.

So Conan O'Brien is out, and Jay is restored.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0cdkcyrS7

KronoRed
01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
How great would it be if as soon as Conan is settled in at Fox Jay announces he's retiring? :D

savafan
01-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I had heard earlier today that Jeff Zucker was threatening to keep Conan off of television for the duration of his NBC contract.

yab1112
01-14-2010, 10:49 PM
I had heard earlier today that Jeff Zucker was threatening to keep Conan off of television for the duration of his NBC contract.

Last night both Dave and Craig took aim at Zucker. This guy is not well liked. Apparently, that's one thing everyone can agree on.

MWM
01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Conan needs to get rid of Andy regardless of where he lands.

Yachtzee
01-15-2010, 12:55 AM

I don't know the exact terms of the contract, but I would assume that, by removing Conan as host of the Tonight Show, NBC is either going to have to buy out Conan or be considered in breach if its contract with him. Furthermore, NBC would likely have no recourse in keeping Conan off television if someone else wanted to hire him. It would have the effect of preventing Conan from working in his field. This was dealt with in ABC v. Warner Wolf, where ABC tried to keep Wolf off the air for the rest of his contract when he tried to move to CBS. The courts said you can't keep someone from working in his or her field.

Hoosier Red
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Conan needs to get rid of Andy regardless of where he lands.

Really? I've always thought the show was much funnier with Andy acting as a safety blanket for Conan.

KronoRed
01-15-2010, 01:42 AM
It's been speculated that it is Conan who will be in breach of contract for refusing to do The Tonight Show at 12:05 since his contract doesn't specify NBC guaranteeing him a time slot, just the show.

We'll see.

I don't know the exact terms of the contract, but I would assume that, by removing Conan as host of the Tonight Show, NBC is either going to have to buy out Conan or be considered in breach if its contract with him. Furthermore, NBC would likely have no recourse in keeping Conan off television if someone else wanted to hire him. It would have the effect of preventing Conan from working in his field. This was dealt with in ABC v. Warner Wolf, where ABC tried to keep Wolf off the air for the rest of his contract when he tried to move to CBS. The courts said you can't keep someone from working in his or her field.

Razor Shines
01-15-2010, 02:27 AM
"Hi, I’m Conan O’Brien, NBC’s 'Employee of the Month'. There’s a rumor that NBC is so upset with me, they want to keep me off the air for 3 years. My response to that is, if NBC doesn’t want people to see me, just leave me on NBC."

Bada bing. "No matter what happens, it’s been a real honor to sit in the same chair as Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, and Jay Leno."

KronoRed
01-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Looks like a lot of Fox's Affiliates aren't excited about picking up Conan.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/444250-Analysis_Conan_a_Tricky_Fit_for_Fox.php

In the wake of what could be Conan O'Brien's departure from NBC, Fox is forced to make a decision: does it make sense to spend some $70 million to launch O'Brien in late night, or should Fox leave the Tonight Show host alone and stick with the syndicated programs and local news the Fox stations are currently airing?

Earlier this week, O'Brien rejected NBC's plan to move the iconic Tonight Show to 12:05 in an open letter to the public.

For the Fox owned and affiliated stations, picking up O'Brien would appear to cause far more pain than gain. The performance of the stations in the Top 10 markets at 11:30 p.m. is largely equivalent to NBC's Tonight Show ratings in the same hour. But the stations keep far more ad inventory in that hour now than they would if they were forced to give it up to Fox. Every half-hour syndicated show offers stations as much as six minutes of advertising inventory to sell, while a half-hour of network inventory typically offers only about a minute.

Sources say Fox brass has asked the Fox-owned stations to run the numbers, and stations have responded that they expect they would lose millions if the local outlets had to give a late-night hour back to the network. The Fox affiliates fall somewhere between lukewarm and intrigued about the notion of O'Brien shifting to their late night air, perhaps at 11:30. Some wonder why he should expect to do better on Fox after posting lagging ratings during his Tonight Show run, while others say he's a rare bankable talent that may be a free agent.

One Fox affiliate insider warned that Chevy Chase also seemed to be a good fit for Fox in late night some time ago: a household name that matched up well with the Fox demographic. Chase's Fox show of course flamed out quickly in the early ‘90s. "They thought there might be some flow there, but it just didn't happen," says the affiliate. "It's like drilling for oil--you just don't know what you're going to get."

Fox affiliates board chairman Brian Brady says O'Brien-to-Fox is at least worth noodling. "It's an interesting proposition," he says. "The affiliates will work closely with Fox to explore the possibilities."

Addressing reporters at TCA last weekend, Fox Entertainment President Kevin Reilly acknowledged that a host of issues would have to be worked out with affiliates to pave the way for a late-night show, and said the network would keep in mind the economic struggles affiliates have been through of late. One Fox affiliate manager said "additional inducements" would have to be made to get stations on board with the plan.

But for Fox, now might be the perfect time to make O'Brien a deal. If he elects to depart NBC, he has nowhere else to go if he wants to remain a late-night host on broadcast TV. ABC has stated that it isn't interested in him, and CBS' line-up of David Letterman and Craig Ferguson is full and clicking along nicely.

Fox executives have stated that building the late-night franchise about which they have long dreamed (and often tried, with the likes of Joan Rivers, Chase and Spike Feresten) probably has the best shot with the experienced and well-known O'Brien behind the wheel. And what better time to stick it to struggling NBC?

Ultimately, Fox must decide what's in its better long-term financial interest: a late-night franchise with Conan O'Brien, or healthy--and happy--TV stations?

texasdave
01-15-2010, 03:13 AM
They aren't excited because Conan isn't funny. He is whiny. Maybe whiny is the new funny. Who knows?

cincinnati chili
01-15-2010, 03:22 AM
It's been speculated that it is Conan who will be in breach of contract for refusing to do The Tonight Show at 12:05 since his contract doesn't specify NBC guaranteeing him a time slot, just the show.

We'll see.

If that's true, and if it comes as a surprised to Conan, then Conan needs to *****slap his agent.

LoganBuck
01-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Conan and Andy's bit last night looking back at their great moments from their time on the Tonight Show was great.

Strikes Out Looking
01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Last night both Dave and Craig took aim at Zucker. This guy is not well liked. Apparently, that's one thing everyone can agree on.

He is NBC's Dick Wagner.

redsmetz
01-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I haven't followed this much, but I was impressed with O'Brien's position that "The Tonight Show" is set in the 11:30 pm time slot. It wouldn't be the same show just after midnight (as David Letterman joked, that's not the Tonight show, it's the Tomorrow show or the Today show...). The franchise has run from Steve Allen, through Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. I don't know whether Conan O'Brien's in the same league as those guys (particularly the 1st three), but NBC has put themselves in an awful position playing around like this. Basically they transplanted Leno into prime time with basically the same format as his previous show. They missed a chance to try something really creative and different (if that was possible) and flubbed it.

macro
01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Really? I've always thought the show was much funnier with Andy acting as a safety blanket for Conan.

Same here. I think Andy is hilarious.

Dom Heffner
01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
The second video clip down is just brutal....just wow.

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/the-late-night-war-reaches-its-boiling-point-all-the-clips-you-missed?skyline=true&s=i&autoplay=true

jimbo
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Same here. I think Andy is hilarious.

I couldn't agree more. Used to love the stare down contests they used to do when they first started out together.

Caveat Emperor
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
The second video clip down is just brutal....just wow.

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/the-late-night-war-reaches-its-boiling-point-all-the-clips-you-missed?skyline=true&s=i&autoplay=true

Is that Kimmel's bit on the Leno 10 & 10 thing?

My level of respect for Kimmel went up 100fold after watching that. It's one thing to sit on a show and lob grenades at somebody, it's another thing entirely to confront them with it to their face. It reminded me a lot of Jon Stewart's appearence on the now-defunct "Crossfire" CNN show, where he just tore into Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala and told them that their brand of combative politics was "destroying America."

The one thing this whole story is doing is reminding me how funny a lot of shows are that I don't necessarily have time to watch anymore. Ferguson and Kimmel have been ridiculously good lately.

Yachtzee
01-15-2010, 06:36 PM

We'll see.

Even if that's the case, NBC still can't keep Conan from working on TV. That was the whole point of ABC v. Wolf. IIRC, ABC had a contract with Wolf and Wolf wanted to leave for CBS. ABC claimed he acted in bad faith and wanted to keep him off the air for two years on the basis of a non-compete clause. The court ruled that the non-compete clause was void because it had the effect of prevent Wolf from working in his field (Something about it amounting to indentured servitude). Of course ABC could get damages on the breach of contract, but they couldn't keep Wolf off TV. So Zucker saying he's going to prevent Conan from working in TV for the rest of his contract is just wishful thinking.

Reds4Life
01-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Heard on the radio that Conan's last day on The Tonight Show is next friday. Haven't seen it reported anywhere though.

Caveat Emperor
01-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Even if that's the case, NBC still can't keep Conan from working on TV. That was the whole point of ABC v. Wolf. IIRC, ABC had a contract with Wolf and Wolf wanted to leave for CBS. ABC claimed he acted in bad faith and wanted to keep him off the air for two years on the basis of a non-compete clause. The court ruled that the non-compete clause was void because it had the effect of prevent Wolf from working in his field (Something about it amounting to indentured servitude). Of course ABC could get damages on the breach of contract, but they couldn't keep Wolf off TV. So Zucker saying he's going to prevent Conan from working in TV for the rest of his contract is just wishful thinking.

Also the basis of why you cannot sue for specific performance on a contract for personal services.

Yachtzee
01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Also the basis of why you cannot sue for specific performance on a contract for personal services.

Also true. So they can't make Conan stay and do the Tonight show at 12:05 am either.

Donder
01-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Someone tweeted this this morning. Jay and NBC can't be happy to see this one resurface.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6d1caacad1/jay-s-2004-announcement?rel=player

Razor Shines
01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Someone tweeted this this morning. Jay and NBC can't be happy to see this one resurface.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6d1caacad1/jay-s-2004-announcement?rel=player

hahahaha

sonny
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
What a phony. I've always disliked Jay.

KronoRed
01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Eh, he changed his mind, sports guys do it all the time ;)

The one to blame here is NBC, when Jay wasn't going to retire and end up on another network they should have said "Ok good luck" instead of "we will keep you no matter what"

Sea Ray
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I am a little surprised that NBC has to pay off Conan to the tune of $30-40mill and they still can't get a non compete out of the deal. Seems to me if Conan wants to work a late night gig with a competitor, he ought to be forced to give up some bucks to NBC.

Yachtzee
01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I am a little surprised that NBC has to pay off Conan to the tune of $30-40mill and they still can't get a non compete out of the deal. Seems to me if Conan wants to work a late night gig with a competitor, he ought to be forced to give up some bucks to NBC.

Read my earlier posts. Non-competes in a field like his are not going to be enforced. You can't keep a person from working in his field. It's not like other fields like sales where there are any number of companies a person can ply his or her trade at without being in direct competition with your previous employer. Conan has made his bones as a late-night TV host. You can't expect him to take a huge pay cut and go back to comedy writing if someone else wants to pay him to work in his chosen career. I suspect the settlement NBC makes with Conan will be less than what he could have gotten under his contract. It will simply be enough so that NBC can get him out and Conan can start looking for another opportunity. From NBC's perspective, it's probably better to have Conan whizzing on the tent walls from the outside than from the inside.

Hoosier Red
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Ya know if I was NBC, I'm not sure I'd be in a huge hurry to get rid of him now. Of course it's all a lot of egg on the face, and they'll have to do it eventually. But right now people are watching, and ironic as it is, as long as he attacks NBC execs personally, it won't hurt the brand as much.

KronoRed
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Ya know if I was NBC, I'm not sure I'd be in a huge hurry to get rid of him now. Of course it's all a lot of egg on the face, and they'll have to do it eventually. But right now people are watching, and ironic as it is, as long as he attacks NBC execs personally, it won't hurt the brand as much.

But people would stop watching at that point, just as they will when he changes networks.

You know if all of these gazillions of Conan supporters had been watching his show none of this would have happened ;)

Sea Ray
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Read my earlier posts. Non-competes in a field like his are not going to be enforced. You can't keep a person from working in his field. It's not like other fields like sales where there are any number of companies a person can ply his or her trade at without being in direct competition with your previous employer. Conan has made his bones as a late-night TV host. You can't expect him to take a huge pay cut and go back to comedy writing if someone else wants to pay him to work in his chosen career. I suspect the settlement NBC makes with Conan will be less than what he could have gotten under his contract. It will simply be enough so that NBC can get him out and Conan can start looking for another opportunity. From NBC's perspective, it's probably better to have Conan whizzing on the tent walls from the outside than from the inside.

Yeah, I read your earlier stuff and I get all that but I don't get the numbers. Apparently Conan can work Late Night TV again as early as Sept this year yet he still gets $30-40 million. No way he would have been paid that much by NBC for 9 mos of work so the taking a pay cut angle doesn't fly.

I don't know what he was being paid by NBC but let's say it's $10mill a year. If he's paid a $40mill buyout then I'd expect NBC to expect a non compete for 4 years

Caveat Emperor
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
But people would stop watching at that point, just as they will when he changes networks.

You know if all of these gazillions of Conan supporters had been watching his show none of this would have happened ;)

I have no evidence to back me up on this, but I get the feeling just from talking to people that a lot of Conan viewers stuck with Stewart and Colbert instead of making the switch to "The Tonight Show" when Conan moved from 12:30 to 11:30.

Caveat Emperor
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I read your earlier stuff and I get all that but I don't get the numbers. Apparently Conan can work Late Night TV again as early as Sept this year yet he still gets $30-40 million. No way he would have been paid that much by NBC for 9 mos of work so the taking a pay cut angle doesn't fly.

I don't know what he was being paid by NBC but let's say it's $10mill a year. If he's paid a $40mill buyout then I'd expect NBC to expect a non compete for 4 years

Logically, you'd expect that. Legally, there's no chance in hell you'd get it. I really don't know what else to say other than: if the law was logical, a lot of people in my profession would be out of a job.

It helps if you don't think of this is a "buyout" but rather as an agreed settlement so that everyone walks away from the deal without the need for a lawsuit.

frenetic wave
01-20-2010, 09:12 PM
This is hilarious: http://www.getwhirled.com/jaybombs.html

savafan
01-20-2010, 09:21 PM

I had a hard time pulling myself away from that. Glad it started to cycle over.

sonny
01-20-2010, 10:43 PM

It's funny 'cause it's true!

Yachtzee
01-21-2010, 12:37 AM

Maybe his contract called for a bigger buyout. Add to that the attorneys fees NBC would have to pay an outside firm to litigate if it went to court (standard practice, as most in-house attorneys aren't litigators). While they could win, they could also stand to lose big, not to mention the ongoing bad press as things drag out, and a big case like this could drag out for years. When you look at it from that angle, $30-40 million might be the more palatable option.

Sea Ray
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Maybe his contract called for a bigger buyout. Add to that the attorneys fees NBC would have to pay an outside firm to litigate if it went to court (standard practice, as most in-house attorneys aren't litigators). While they could win, they could also stand to lose big, not to mention the ongoing bad press as things drag out, and a big case like this could drag out for years. When you look at it from that angle, $30-40 million might be the more palatable option.

Anyway I look at it, NBC screwed up bigtime.

Roy Tucker
01-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Tonight is Conan's last night. I may tune in to see the fireworks. Should be interesting.

I think NBC has made a big boo-boo.

savafan
01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Tonight is Conan's last night. I may tune in to see the fireworks. Should be interesting.

You and everyone but Zucker and Leno

Donder
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM

I am not a Conan fan (I almost never stay up that late and I don't DVR, so I'm not a fan of any late night shows) but I will definitely watch the show tonight. It should be great tv. I did watch last night, his interview with Robin Williams was definitely no holds barred.

jimbo
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM

I can't for the life of me understand how NBC can think that this is the right move. Do they actually think they are going to automatically plug Leno back into the same slot and, bam, his ratings go right back to where they were?

I really think Leno is going to struggle. He acts like he's been a saint through all of this, but he could have decided that what NBC is doing to Conan is just wrong, and done the right thing and walked away. The Tonight Show franchise is bigger than one person.

macro
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm still confused about the buyout. If NBC offered to let Conan keep The Tonight Show (albeit at 12:05) and he refused, why do they owe him anything? He's the one stepping away from his contract. :confused: As far as I've heard, there was nothing in the contract that stated what time the show would air.

Roy Tucker
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Bill Simmons' take...

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/bill_simmons_the_sports_guy_sa.html

Bill Simmons, ‘the Sports Guy,’ Saw Talkshowgate Coming, and Now He’s Got Advice for Conan
1/21/10 at 4:00 PM

The news that Conan O’Brien would be leaving the Tonight Show was broken by an unlikely source at the end of last week: a tweet from ESPN’s Bill “the Sports Guy” Simmons, which read, “FYI: Next week is Conan's final week hosting the Tonight Show. His staff is trying to book big guests so he goes out with a bang. It's true.” Within hours, NBC was confirming it. Simmons had it first.

For a sportswriter, Simmons knows his late-night talk shows. He was one of the charter writers for Jimmy Kimmel Live — he and Kimmel remain close friends — and back in March, he accurately predicted that Jay Leno would be back in the Tonight Show chair “within a year.” With that kind of track record, we couldn’t resist asking him if he had any advice for Conan, any guesses on the next turn for this story to take, and any predictions on how this will affect his pal, Kimmel.

Do you think Conan worked at 11:30? Do you think if he goes to Fox, he should do the same show? The old show? An entirely new beast?

Conan's show sucked at 11:35. That's the reason the ratings were down — not because of his lead-ins. What's Jon Stewart's lead-in? What's SNL's lead-in? Conan did a watered-down, toothless version of his 12:35 show, and even his die-hard fans weren't crazy about it. These are the facts. Only after they canned him did he show flashes of the old Conan again. Look, he's not Johnny Carson; he's a gawky, super-witty, awkward, hyperactive goofball who isn't going to appeal to everyone. I don't see Fox at 11 working, either. We just saw him fail at 11:35 ... Going head-to-head for the egghead demo with Jon Stewart [at 11] will be better? If he were smart, he'd go to Comedy Central at 12, follow Colbert and Stewart, and just be himself.

Do you think Conan handled this situation the right way?

I thought he was too whiny. Look, it's television. His job was to deliver ratings and revenue; he lost nearly 50 percent of Leno's 11:35 audience in six months, but took none of the blame and made no effort to fix his show. This wasn't his fault? And besides, he's the one who stupidly passed up all that Fox money in 2004. I never understood that. What was so special about a Tonight Show that had twelve years (and counting) of Leno stink on it? How iconic could it have been? Plus, it was foolish of him to think Leno would fade into the sunset in 2009. We're gonna have to chop Leno's head off like Jason Voorhees to get him off TV.

How do you think this affects your friend, Jimmy Kimmel? It seems like he's been incredibly smart by injecting himself into this madness at just the right times, and backing away at the right times.

I'm glad you mentioned him because he has his name set to Google Alert. Now I know he'll read this. Hey, Jimmy! Anyway, I thought it was the most important month of his career; his "Fake Leno" show was really funny, two of his competitors were damaged as brands, and he crushed Leno on his own show. Not enough was made of that, by the way. There's Jimmy going on Leno's show and just skewering him, and Leno's own audience is laughing at Leno! Letterman's audience never would have done that.

Does it really hurt Leno if the commentariat dislikes him? The people who have made him so popular probably aren't paying any attention to this in the first place.

Yes and no. He dumbed down his show intentionally knowing he'd win the ratings game that way. And he did. You're right, his audience could give a crap: They're too busy applying to be on the next Hoarders. But that same audience splintered when he abandoned that 11:35 slot. Some stayed with Conan, others went to Colbert, Nightline, SportsCenter, online, wherever. Once people stop getting in the habit of seeing you, it's hard to get them back. By the way, the same goes for hookers.

Isn't this all kind of silly? Isn't the theory that everyone just watches everything on Hulu and DVR anyway?

Normally, I'd agree with you, but did you see the numbers? Leno's 11:35 show made $35–40 million profit for NBC; Conan's show was on pace to lose $5 million and had zero critical buzz. So it was a big deal, I think; look at where Conan was five years ago and where he is now. It's one of the biggest falls in TV history. NBC paid $43 million to get rid of him! It was the TV version of the Knicks buying out Stephon Marbury last year, only without tattoos, Kathleen Decker, and a truck party. Anything that leads to a legitimate Conan-Marbury comparison has to mean ... something. Right?

Read more: Bill Simmons, ‘the Sports Guy,’ Saw Talkshowgate Coming, and Now He’s Got Advice for Conan -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/bill_simmons_the_sports_guy_sa.html#ixzz0dNfaetOr

KronoRed
01-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Sadly I think the fireworks will be tamer then say Tuesday or Wednesday due to the supposed "No insulting the head honchos" language in his buy out.

Fallon is still not funny but he did have a good line last night, he's learned from all this he has no shot of ever hosting the tonight show :D

cincinnati chili
01-23-2010, 04:28 AM
The final show was great.

I disagree that Conan's show declined in the earlier time slot. I think the writing was actually stronger and more consistent. No masturbating bear, but I didn't really think the new show was scaled back at all. I do agree with Simmons that Conan's quirkiness doesn't play well with certain audiences (read: old people).

Kingspoint
01-23-2010, 08:40 AM
I do agree with Simmons that Conan's quirkiness doesn't play well with certain audiences (read: old people).

You mean people who are Conan's age, soon to be 47?

Yes. I find it un-entertaining to see a 47-year old man acting like he's 5 years old. That was funny when I was 8, but not now.

Loved the last show, though. Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the "exit interview". A below average Johnny Carson show was as good, though.

Chip R
01-23-2010, 02:24 PM
They talk about Kimmel's impression of Leno, which was great but I couldn't get the audio and video to synch correctly when I watched it, here's something way back in the 80s of Chris Elliott doing his impression of Leno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNmCBsQPEmA

Kingspoint
01-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Also loved the closing scene with the Lynard Skynard Freebird song by Will Ferrell and Conan on guitar with other guests playing. First concert I ever saw was Lynard Skynard in early October of '74. Doobie Brothers opened for them.

cincinnati chili
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
You mean people who are Conan's age, soon to be 47?

Yes. I find it un-entertaining to see a 47-year old man acting like he's 5 years old. That was funny when I was 8, but not now.

Loved the last show, though. Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the "exit interview". A below average Johnny Carson show was as good, though.

I totally respect and understand how Conan's not for everyone though. I shouldn't have put it all on age. I don't, however, understand how anyone could still like Jay Leno's show, if such a person still has the dexterity to change the channel.

frenetic wave
01-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Conan is what the current and next wave of comedy writers, performers, and actors grew up idolizing and identifying with. He represents such an important part of those waves and the way they look at comedy. He might have "failed" as host of the Tonight Show but his impact on the world of comedy and television (and future impact) is way greater than that of Jay Leno, who has been treading water and growing more and more irrelevant each year.

Jay Leno embodies the sad truth that the more broad and watered down you make comedy, the wider the audience. He and Jeff Dunham are likable enough personalities who know how to cue a large audience to laugh using delivery and rhythm but their "jokes" themselves are very tooth-less, common denominator, safe jokes. No one who gets into the comedy business says "I want to be Jay Leno" but a lot of people dream of writing for a cutting edge show at its peak (the Simpsons), writing for SNL, and creating their own original show (Late Night). I feel like history will be very kind to Conan whereas Jay Lenowill be remembered as the guy who slowly stripping the Tonight Show of any legacy or prestige it once had.

Kingspoint
01-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Yes, frenetic wave.

Like I said about 4 pages ago, Conan the writer was phenomenal.

I agree with you.

Roy Tucker
01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
I think if either one of them had been having any success, NBC would have hung in there with the status quo. But they were both tanking at their time slots. NBC had to do something.

However, it was NBC's stupidity that put them in that pickle to begin with and then it was NBC's stupidity at how they reacted.

I'm neither a Conan nor Leno fan. I used to be a huge Letterman fan but he's declined too. Plus I just go to bed earlier :) But I don't think the statement that Leno is/was stripping the Tonight Show of its legacy is fair. Leno kept the Tonight Show traditional audience (never a cutting edge one) and its erosion was slower than what was happening with general TV trends. It was always a middle of the road show catering to middle America and never edgy or cutting edge.

I think in the near term the Tonight Show's ratings will probably go up. How much will be under close scrutiny. But Leno is the past. This bump will go on for as long as he wants to be there. After that, NBC is in big trouble. But TV ratings are measured on a day-by-day basis so you take care of today because Management mandates it or else you are fired. Worry about the future when it gets here.

KronoRed
01-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Unless Leno is working for another network or no longer with us I can't see anyone of any talent wanting to take over the Tonight Show when he retires again.

Kingspoint
01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I love Lewis Black, but I'd get sick of him quickly if I had to see him every night. That's true with most comedians I like.

It's difficult job, and few have the talent to do it.

Yachtzee
01-25-2010, 02:48 AM
What no one seems to be talking about is, what happens if moving Leno back to the Tonight Show fails? I wonder if NBC tries to get a new host or just dumps the Tonight Show altogether.

redsfandan
01-25-2010, 03:10 AM
What no one seems to be talking about is, what happens if moving Leno back to the Tonight Show fails? I wonder if NBC tries to get a new host or just dumps the Tonight Show altogether.
I doubt that will happen.

KronoRed
01-25-2010, 06:41 AM
They get a new host, but like I said above, as long as Leno is there perched like a crow waiting, who in their right mind would take the show?

Carson Daly perhaps :D

Yachtzee
01-25-2010, 09:46 AM
They get a new host, but like I said above, as long as Leno is there perched like a crow waiting, who in their right mind would take the show?

Carson Daly perhaps :D

I'm thinking that there is a good chance that moving Leno back to host the Tonight Show could fail miserably and put NBC in a position of asking Leno to leave again or firing him. In that situation, I wonder whether the Tonight Show brand would be too damaged to just bring in another host. Would they have to cancel the Tonight Show and come up with a new program for that time slot? Or would they have to do it just to make sure Leno knows he's done at NBC so that whatever replaces it knows it's a clean slate.

Roy Tucker
01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/business/media/25conan.html

O’Brien Undone by His Media-Hopping Fans

By BILL CARTER
Published: January 24, 2010
Conan O’Brien made a triumphant exit from NBC Friday night, accompanied by one of the most impressive outpourings of support by younger viewers that any late-night host had ever seen — and Mr. O’Brien was effusive in his thanks for their backing.

In the tumult that surrounded NBC’s late-night shake-up last week, one thing was certain: If even a small fraction of the additional younger viewers who flocked to Mr. O’Brien’s show last week had turned up regularly in his earlier ratings results, he would almost surely still be hosting “The Tonight Show.”

Instead, for most of this past fall, Mr. O’Brien struggled to command the young viewers he needed to counter a falloff in overall audience numbers.

While he began to drop behind his chief late-night competitor, David Letterman on CBS, among total viewers, it was more alarming to NBC that Mr. O’Brien was not consistently beating Mr. Letterman in several important advertising-sales demographic groups — viewers 18 to 49 and 25 to 54. (He did beat Mr. Letterman virtually all the time in the 18-to-34 group.)

But to NBC’s surprise and disappointment, Mr. O’Brien fell behind his predecessor, Jay Leno, even among those 18-to-34 viewers, the group expected to be his core constituency. (From his start in June through the end of 2009, Mr. O’Brien averaged 716,000 viewers in that age group, down from the 759,000 Mr. Leno averaged the previous six months.)

Several television researchers said in interviews that this outcome might have been easily predicted, not because Mr. O’Brien does not appeal to younger viewers — he clearly does, as evidenced by the large numbers he attracted for his closing shows — but because regularly assembling those young adult viewers in significant numbers in the late-night hours has become a daunting, if not impossible, task.

“The 18-to-34 group is so difficult to attract and the lower half, 18 to 25, is the hardest of all,” said Jack MacKenzie, the president of the millennial strategy program for the research firm Frank N. Magid Associates.

Compounding the problem, said a senior research executive for another company, was the fact that Mr. O’Brien was especially appealing to young men. “And that group doesn’t watch television very regularly,” said the executive, who asked not to be named because his business competes with NBC.

Instead of watching Mr. O’Brien most nights, Mr. MacKenzie said, those young viewers have been watching everything from similar shows like “The Colbert Report” on Comedy Central, to cartoons on the “Adult Swim” franchise on the Cartoon Network, and the ever-present array of sports and sports news on ESPN and its sister channels.

In comparison with the 719,000 viewers in the 18-to-34 group that Mr. O’Brien had been averaging, Stephen Colbert on his “Colbert Report,” in the same six- month period in 2009, averaged 746,000 viewers ages 18 to 34. The cartoons on “Adult Swim” — mostly “Family Guy” and “Robot Chicken” — averaged 619,000 of those viewers. ESPN from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m., with varied programs that included both live sports events and editions of the highlights show “Sports Center,” averaged 614,000 viewers in that group.

And dozens of other cable channels took other slices of the under 35 viewers.

“What you’ve seen in recent years is increased spending by all these cable channels for original programming,” Mr. MacKenzie said. “And besides having a double revenue stream of subscription fees and advertising, the cable channels have the luxury of targeting specific audiences. Broadcasters don’t.”

Fans of sports, for example, were watching ESPN many nights instead of Mr. O’Brien; and cartoon lovers were hooked on “Adult Swim.”

But even all the competition on cable did not represent the total distraction for young viewers that Mr. O’Brien had to contend with. The senior research executive pointed to outside attractions like video games that vie for the attention of young, especially male, viewers. And CBS executives have in the past identified the growing tendency of owners of digital video recorders to use the time after late local newscasts to play back programs recorded earlier that night or on previous nights.

A spokeswoman for Nielsen Media Research pointed to a study the company released last year that cited the peak hours for DVR playback. The late-night hours showed the highest percentage of playback outside the prime-time hours, with about 7.6 percent of playback taking place from 11 p.m. to 12 a.m.

As an executive from one of NBC’s rival networks put it: “Conan didn’t just have to worry about Letterman; he had to worry about ‘House.’ People are playing back episodes of shows like ‘House’ in late night.”

Add to all the other issues the fact that Mr. O’Brien’s young fans did not really have to watch television to see him. His shows were made available later on Web sites like Hulu. And his best comedy bits would frequently be posted on other sites — and passed around by fans — shortly after they appeared.

Mr. MacKenzie added that NBC did Mr. O’Brien no favor by moving Mr. Leno to the 10 p.m. hour this fall. “That meant there was a show very similar in style to his on the air before him,” he said.

In his run on “The Tonight Show,” Mr. Leno managed to attract the largest audiences in virtually every age group, though his ratings too showed signs of falling off in his later years on the show. But his was always the first show of the late-night talk variety on NBC each night, Mr. MacKenzie.

That will happen again when Mr. Leno returns to “The Tonight Show” on March 1. But Mr. MacKenzie had some words of caution for NBC.

“A generational switch is coming,” he said. “The baby boomer audience that has mostly been the Leno audience is going out. The Conan audience is becoming more influential — even if they aren’t watching television the same way the previous generation did.”

Chip R
07-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Leno's ratings have not rebounded. They are the lowest they have been since 1992. On the other hand, Letterman's ratings haven't improved either.

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno/show/34238/news/tv.tvguide.com/tv.tvguide.com-tonight-show-with-jay-leno-posts-lowest-ratings-since-1992

redsfandan
07-05-2010, 01:09 AM
would they actually move him out of that slot though? I mean, a 2nd time?

cincinnati chili
07-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Maybe people are just watching less TV. I know I am. I call that progress.

macro
07-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Leno's ratings have not rebounded. They are the lowest they have been since 1992. On the other hand, Letterman's ratings haven't improved either.

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno/show/34238/news/tv.tvguide.com/tv.tvguide.com-tonight-show-with-jay-leno-posts-lowest-ratings-since-1992 (http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno/show/34238/news/tv.tvguide.com/tv.tvguide.com-tonight-show-with-jay-leno-posts-lowest-ratings-since-1992)

Looks like NBC's mess has gotten messier. Serves them right.

I was a regular Leno viewer before he "retired" and Conan took over, but since he returned, I have just had no interest in his show. It's not that I'm consciously boycotting it or anything, I'm just indifferent to it. To me it's kinda like the "new Coke" of the 80s. It was good, they did away with it, now they're trying to bring it back. It's not working.

Having Kevin Eubanks and his band leave isn't going to help, either. The rapport between Jay and Kevin was part of the appeal of the show, and now that's gone, too.

Haven't been a regular Letterman viewer in years. These days I check the on-screen guide to see who the guests are going to be for Leno, Letterman, and Fallon and record only when the guest is interesting.

Back to the original point, I think NBC underestimated the fallout of their decision. A lot of people who used to like and watch Jay and Conan aren't going to watch Jay, anymore.

Razor Shines
07-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Craig Kilborn has a new show on Fox. The Kilborn File at 11EST.

I love Kilborn, but I don't understand some of the choices he's made. Why would he give up the Late Late Show just to come back and do this show on Fox? I can't imagine he's getting as much money as he was making on CBS.

Maybe he really did want to retire, but lost a lot of money in the market in the last two years and now has to work? I don't know, just seems odd.

RBA
07-08-2010, 09:50 AM
The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian recieved an Emmy Nomination this morning for Variety Show, etc. Leno and Letterman did not. Letterman is usually nominated every year, I think the same goes for Leno.

macro
07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian recieved an Emmy Nomination this morning for Variety Show, etc. Leno and Letterman did not. Letterman is usually nominated every year, I think the same goes for Leno.

I hope it wins.

yab1112
07-11-2010, 01:04 AM

Conan responded to the nomination with this tweet (http://twitter.com/ConanOBrien):

Congrats to my staff on 4 Emmy nominations. This bodes well for the future of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien.
:laugh:

KronoRed
03-02-2013, 11:04 PM
So how long will Leno give Fallon before trying to take the show back again? ;)

A new rumor claims that NBC is planning to announce in May that the 2013-14 television season will be Leno's last.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sources-nbc-discussing-jay-leno-425669

dougdirt
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
So how long will Leno give Fallon before trying to take the show back again? ;)

A new rumor claims that NBC is planning to announce in May that the 2013-14 television season will be Leno's last.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sources-nbc-discussing-jay-leno-425669

Three weeks. Tops.

Joseph
03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
They should just bring Conan back. :)

JaxRed
03-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Fallon will do well. Conan was doomed, and after his current contract is up in 2014, TBS will cut him. He has terrible ratings. TBS got rid of George Lopez because he was drawing only 900,000 viewers, and recently Conan is at 800,000.

KronoRed
03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
I dunno, I think Conan's problem is what is on before his show, Family Guy and Big Bang reruns, oh and TV shows that were complete failures on other networks.

JaxRed
03-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Here's an article stating that Big Bang Theory was purchased at very high cost thinking it could keep his ratings up...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tbs-multi-million-dollar-plan-224911

"While O'Brien's audience has declined, the cable network has paid for marquee content to protect its investment, the Journal said in highlighting that TBS next month will start airing repeats of CBS hit The Big Bang Theory as a lead-in to Conan two nights a week. It cited an estimated price tag of $2 million per episode."

Here's another article

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/tbs-extends-conan-through-2014/

"TBS has found the most-compatible lead-in programming for the show since Mr. O’Brien’s arrival — reruns of the hit comedy “The Big Bang Theory.”

The fact of the matter is that Conan has lower rating then what got Lopez canned and he's way more expensive. He doesn't get renewed in 2014 unless he takes a massive paycut.

kaldaniels
03-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Big fan of Conan, but to be honest he isn't one for the masses. He had found his niche at 1230 with the late night crazies watching. I don't know if he will ever be successful again, as compared to his 1230 show on NBC. He was a perfect fit.

But to some degree I have to think the whole late night show premise of mostly pimping celebrity interviews might be fading away. Stewart and Colbert have the right formula now.

texasdave
03-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Conan might try being funny. But I'm thinking that if he had that in his bag of tricks, he would have pulled it out a long time ago.

Sea Ray
03-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Big fan of Conan, but to be honest he isn't one for the masses. He had found his niche at 1230 with the late night crazies watching. I don't know if he will ever be successful again, as compared to his 1230 show on NBC. He was a perfect fit.

But to some degree I have to think the whole late night show premise of mostly pimping celebrity interviews might be fading away. Stewart and Colbert have the right formula now.

I agree and I'm amazed that he's been able to parlay that niche into bidding wars for his services and ultimately big bucks. I have no problem with guys like Letterman and Leno who earn their money through ratings but I'm stumped that Conan got so much money from NBC and TBS for some ratings that they dreamed he'd get

Razor Shines
03-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Conan might try being funny. But I'm thinking that if he had that in his bag of tricks, he would have pulled it out a long time ago.

Well there's no question whether he's funny or not. It's just not for everyone. I don't watch the show and am not much of a fan but Conan is very funny and understands comedy. Maybe it's the format that turns me off, I don't really know. One of the funniest podcast episodes I've ever heard was Conan on Jimmy Pardo's Pardcast. Hysterical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk