PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting stats...

Homer Bailey
04-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I was looking through the major league standings, and noticed that the Reds' runs for and runs against was not very comparable to teams with similar records. I kind of invented this stat; I took the difference in RF and RA and divided it by the amount of games under .500 that all of these teams are to show the "average" loss per game.

Reds: 6 games under: 18/6= 3 Runs per game
Pirates: 5 games: 43/5= 8.6 Runs per game!
Padres: 6 games: 37/6= 6.16 Runs per game
Rangers: 8 games: 49/8= 6.13 runs per game

What does this say? Are the Reds just unlucky so far? I would like to think that this would be a good sign. The law of averages has to come into effect some time soon.

Not sure if this stat means anything, but it was just something i noticed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings

_Sir_Charles_
04-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Look a little deeper.

We're 13th in runs scored of the 16 NL clubs. Then look at the HR totals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~hitting~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~pi tching
11. Mets ....................103 runs............12 hrs ............3.77 team era....157 team k's.....86 bb's
12. Pirates..................102 runs............18 hrs ............ 5.69 era...........127 k's............96 bb's
13. Reds....................96 runs............27 hrs ........... 4.24 era.......... 191 k's........... 71 bb's
14. Nats.....................93 runs..............14 hrs ........... 4.64 era.......... 171 k's........... 98 bb's
15. Padres..................75 runs..............13 hrs............ 4.01 era.......... 163 k's........... 85 bb's
16. Giants..................74 runs..............12 hrs............ 4.01 era.......... 182 k's ..........98 bb's

So as you can see, we're hitting the long ball...but with no men on base. Hence...no hitters with decent batting averages in the middle of the lineup. So that's definitely one of our biggest problems.

But with our pitching we should've been able to overcome most of our struggles. We're in the top eschelon of the majors in terms of strikeouts and walks allowed. Those two things combined with even an average team era usually accounts to wins. But our errors (and the times of those errors) are hurting us deeply. Our lack of quality defense will always make our pitchers suffer even though they bring good enough stuff to win on most nights.

Our lack of basic fundamentals is simply torturing our pitching staff. Baserunning errors, throwing errors, missing cut off men, passed balls, scrubbed catches, successfully performing a hit and run or a sacrifice...these things most teams do blindfolded. The Reds are simply fighting through them and losing that battle.

You can blame Dusty all you want about his lineup choices and such, but until the players step up and play with their HEADS instead of their muscles...we'll never become a TEAM....we'll continue to be a group of individuals.