PDA

View Full Version : teams with no player names on thier uniforms

robmadden1
04-26-2008, 11:05 PM
why do some teams do this not put the names on uniforms liike the Giants? I have allways wondered this.

goreds2
04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I am guessing it is just tradition or to prompt you to buy a game program. :p:

The Yankees also do not have their names on the back.

04-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Tradition. Only the Yankees, Red Sox, and Yankees don't do it on their home jerseys, and they are three of the oldest franchises. One theory is that they want to play as a team.

EddieMilner
04-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Thats why Notre Dame does it. The thought is that you work as a cohesive whole and not as individuals. Some believe that this is easier to do without having names on the back of the Jersey.
Growing up I played on some hockey teams that did the same thing. I always thought it would've been better for getting chicks if they knew it was me instead of number 14.

smoke6
04-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Thats why Notre Dame does it. The thought is that you work as a cohesive whole and not as individuals. Some believe that this is easier to do without having names on the back of the Jersey.
Growing up I played on some hockey teams that did the same thing. I always thought it would've been better for getting chicks if they knew it was me instead of number 14.

Then you realized that chicks don't like hockey players. They like baseball players. :D

kaldaniels
04-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Put me down as one who loves the Giants uniforms...especially the cream colored ones. Classic.

NastyBoy
04-27-2008, 06:44 PM
For some teams it is just the HOME uniforms, the road uniforms do. The Yankees are both home and away. The home team fans expected to know the players either by number or position.

fadetoblack2880
04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Then you realized that chicks don't like hockey players. They like baseball players. :D

People still play hockey? Wow.

Just kidding by the way...

Hal#23Fan
04-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Like others have said, it is all about tradition. Indiana Hoosiers basketball have no names on the back of their jerseys, and still wear the candy striped warm-up pants. Tradition.

tommycash
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I think it is more tradition in college. In the pro's, they put names on most of the jerseys to sell them. Then if they have one without a name, it means they can sell another jersey to you. Its all about the money.

mroby85
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
i'm pretty sure #25 still wouldve been the top seller in san fran, the people know who's wearin the #'s.

as keith rivers said saturday, the # doesn't make the player, the player makes the #.

BurgervilleBuck
04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
i'm pretty sure #25 still wouldve been the top seller in san fran, the people know who's wearin the #'s.

as keith rivers said saturday, the # doesn't make the player, the player makes the #.
And as the late great Herb Brooks say, the "name on the front of the sweater is more important than the one on the back".

GoReds33
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I love uniforms without names. It gives a team feel to the games.

RSNtransplant
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
All the teams used to be nameless, in 1960 CHW added the name to the back. I think it was a Bill Veeck boosting attendance move.

NDReds9
04-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Unity.
Play for the name on the front, not the back.

Mutaman
04-29-2008, 01:36 AM
And as the late great Herb Brooks say, the "name on the front of the sweater is more important than the one on the back".

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

"Nine out of ten time we play this team, they would beat us. But not tonight because tonight is our night, tonight we win.”

“If you lose this game, you'll take it to your [expletive] graves.”

“Legs feed the wolf.” (My favorite).

He never saw it. He lived it.

BurgervilleBuck
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
That movie is a great testament to the man.

Red in Atl
04-29-2008, 03:53 PM
I honestly thought it was because the home town folks should ALWAYS know who their players are just by looking at them. If that's not enough, the number gives it away, but no need for a name.