OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Louisville 1:15 - Matt Maloney.

Chattanooga 2.15: - James Avery.

Sarasota 1:00 - Daniel Guerrero.

Dayton 2:00.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Maloney threw a 1-2-3 1st inning with two strikeouts.

Dickerson and Janish led off with singles and Bruce struckout looking on the 6th pitch.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 02:32 PM
1-0 Sarasota after two.

Heisey: 0-for-1
Turner: 0-for-1
Valaika: 1-for-1
Francisco: 1-for-1 RBI double
Stubbs: 0-for-1

BigRed07
04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
2-0 Sarasota

Sarasota Top 3rd

* Chris Heisey flies out to right fielder Chris Emanuele.
* Justin Turner walks.
* Chris Valaika singles on a line drive to left fielder Cory Patton. Chris Valaika to 2nd. Justin Turner advances to 3rd, on fielding error by left fielder Cory Patton.
* Juan Francisco grounds out to first baseman Brian Dopirak. Justin Turner scores. Chris Valaika to 3rd.
* Drew Stubbs hit by pitch.
* Jason Louwsma flies out to right fielder Chris Emanuele.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 03:18 PM
2-1 Sarasota in the 5th.

Heisey: 0-for-3
Turner: 0-for-2 walk
Valaika: 2-for-3
Francisco: 2-for-3 two doubles, 2 RBI
Stubbs: 0-for-2 HBP

Guerrero: 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K

SMcGavin
04-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Maloney through 5 IP: 7 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 7 K

Dickerson is 2 for 2 with a walk.

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Very nice game so far for Maloney. Real promising to see him have a nice game, hopefully its where he begins to turn things around.

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Paul Janish is 3-3 with a HR and 6 RBI.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Bruce struckout on 3-2 last atbat.

Maloney's day is done: 5.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 9 K

SMcGavin
04-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Janish grand slam. Doug beat me to it.

Maloney strikes out the first two batters of the sixth, then gives up a single. He then gets pulled as he was at 114 pitches, and Pelland gets the next guy.

Maloney's final line: 5.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 9 K.
For the season now, in 23 IP, he's got 24 K and 8 BB, with no HR allowed.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 04:37 PM
His ERA isn't where you want it to be but the strikeout per inning and zero homeruns allowed tells me his ERA should start normalizing.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Chattanooga is in a rain delay but are winning 2-0 after 4.

Cumberland: 2-for-3
Henry: 1-for-2

Avery: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Sarasota is tied 2-2 after 10 innings.

Heisey: 0-for-5
Turner: 0-for-4 walk
Valaika: 2-for-5
Francisco: 2-for-5 two doubles, 2 RBI
Stubbs: 1-for-4 HBP

Guerrero: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 5 K

Ondrusek: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

cincyinco
04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Real good to see maloney with a good start. Lots of K's! I still wonder why this guy can fool so many with no true out pitch... Must have had his command and changed speeds well. Get on a streak and he could get the call.

mth123
04-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Time for some promotions. Bruce to the Reds, Cumberland to AAA, Valaika to AA, Frazier to A+, Neftali Soto to Dayton.

Edit: Not news just my suggestion. Don't get carried away thinking this happened.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Dayton is scoreless after 6.

Frazier is 0-for-2 with a walk and his 4th stolen base.

Montano: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Time for some promotions. Bruce to the Reds, Cumberland to AAA, Valaika to AA, Frazier to A+, Neftali Soto to Dayton.

Agreed with all those.

mth123
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Dayton is scoreless after 6.

Frazier is 0-for-2 with a walk and his 4th stolen base.

Montano: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K

Can anyone elaborate on Montano? I haven't looked yet, but he seems to be dealing start after start.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Jay Bruce just hit a 2-run HR! That's his 5th homerun of the year.

Janish is 4-for-4 with two doubles and a grand slam.

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Janish is 4-for-4 with two doubles and a grand slam.

I really hope this is something that Janish takes and runs with. He has really struggled with his bat for the last year (granted he was promoted due to injuries when he likely shouldn't have been) but he is showing some slight promise with the stick lately. Having him turn into a SS who can OPS just .740 for the Reds would be HUGE.

Grande Donkey
04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Jay Bruce just hit a 2-run HR! That's his 5th homerun of the year.

Janish is 4-for-4 with two doubles and a grand slam.Jay Bruce is no Hairfropperson Jr.

Joseph
04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Jay Bruce is no Hairfropperson Jr.

Thank the good Lord. :)

SMcGavin
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
His ERA isn't where you want it to be but the strikeout per inning and zero homeruns allowed tells me his ERA should start normalizing.

Yeah, his BABIP going into today's start was .400. He doesn't have a history of high BABIPs so it's not something I'm going to worry about unless it stays abnormally high all year.

By the way Maloney's work today brought him to exactly 40 IP at the AAA level. His K/9 in those innings is 10.5.

Kc61
04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah, his BABIP going into today's start was .400. He doesn't have a history of high BABIPs so it's not something I'm going to worry about unless it stays abnormally high all year.

By the way Maloney's work today brought him to exactly 40 IP at the AAA level. His K/9 in those innings is 10.5.

But Maloney has been hit fairly hard at AAA. He strikes out his share, don't know what the issue is, perhaps he is prone to mistakes at this point.

Agree with Doug on Janish. Once before in his minor league career he seemed to be hitting better. Now again at AAA. If Janish can be a .250 major league hitter, he can be a terrific defensive-oriented utility guy.

Valaika needs to be at AA. Probably Turner too, but definitely Valaika. He slumped last year but is just ripping High A apart.

SMcGavin
04-27-2008, 06:10 PM
But Maloney has been hit fairly hard at AAA. He strikes out his share, don't know what the issue is, perhaps he is prone to mistakes at this point.

Yes he has. I think that will change as his BABIP normalizes, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

OnBaseMachine
04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Dayton won 7-0.

Cozart 1-for-4 with a grand slam in the 9th inning and a walk.

Frazier: 2-for-4 double, walk, 2 RBI

Benihana
04-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Edit: Not news just my suggestion. Don't get carried away thinking this happened.

Additionally, I'd like to see Stubbs and Turner sent to Chattanoga, as well as Waring in Sarasota. There's no reason to delay these guys.

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Additionally, I'd like to see Stubbs and Turner sent to Chattanoga, as well as Waring in Sarasota. There's no reason to delay these guys.

I can think of about 30 reasons to keep Waring in Dayton.

Grande Donkey
04-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I can think of about 30 reasons to keep Waring in Dayton.I would like to hear all of them please :D .

RedLegsToday
04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I would like to hear all of them please

I'm guessing these are the reasons:

1. K
2. K
3. K
4. K
27. K
28. K
29. K
30. K

;)

mbgrayson
04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
..... Having him turn into a SS who can OPS just .740 for the Reds would be HUGE.

Our current shortstop is OPSing .810...

Go Country Kepp!

JaxRed
04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
How about the season isn't even 30 days old yet...... there's no big hurry

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm guessing these are the reasons:

1. K
2. K
3. K
4. K
27. K
28. K
29. K
30. K

;)
Winner!

Our current shortstop is OPSing .810...

Go Country Kepp!

Yeah, of course he is just standing at the shortstop position on the field, he isn't actually a shortstop. Janish is.

Aronchis
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Winner!

Yeah, of course he is just standing at the shortstop position on the field, he isn't actually a shortstop. Janish is.

How true it is. Kepp can field, but at SS, you need more than that.

SMcGavin
04-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey as long as we are living in the fantasy land where Janish puts up a .740 OPS in the bigs, can't we just call Keppinger a gold glove SS?

mbgrayson
04-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Winner!
Yeah, of course he [Keppinger] is just standing at the shortstop position on the field, he isn't actually a shortstop. Janish is.

Oh come on! Keppinger has played a good quality shortstop this year. Traditional stats show only one error and a .987 fielding percentage, which is excellent for shortstop. His zone rating is .852, and his range factor is 3.41.

By comparison, last year's gold glove winner was Jimmy Rollins. His 2007 fielding percentage was .985, ZR was .824, and RF was 4.41.

Stats are from here (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=6076&context=fielding).

I do realize that Keppinger is not Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel, but he is more than adequate at short, and he can HIT.

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey as long as we are living in the fantasy land where Janish puts up a .740 OPS in the bigs, can't we just call Keppinger a gold glove SS?

Janish is hitting .297/.329/.459 currently in AAA. He has gone through a lot to get to where he is and his development was rushed due to injuries in the system to others. He may finally be at a spot where he is at the correct place for his development.

Oh come on! Keppinger has played a good quality shortstop this year. Traditional stats show only one error and a .987 fielding percentage, which is excellent for shortstop. His zone rating is .852, and his range factor is 3.41.
Keppinger has a solid glove. His issue is the baseballs out of his zone, not the ones in it. In the NL, his ZR ranks 8th out of 15 guys. He is also tied for 11th with plays made out of his zone. Then lets also note that he ranks dead last in double plays started + double plays turned in the NL. Now that could certainly be a by product of the pitching staff.

By comparison, last year's gold glove winner was Jimmy Rollins. His 2007 fielding percentage was .985, ZR was .824, and RF was 4.41.
Gold Gloves tell me as much about fielding as my dog tells me about building a house.

I do realize that Keppinger is not Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel, but he is more than adequate at short, and he can HIT.
I think its a lot closer to Keppinger is better than Jeter defensively, but still isn't all that good and he can hit.

HokieRed
04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Janish actually could pose an interesting problem if he earns the job as the everyday SS in Cinti. Does Kepp hit enough to play the outfield? Does EE? Would it be better to go Kepp to 3rd, EE to the outfield or vice versa? Would it be better to go Kepp to 2nd, keep EE at 3d, and seeing what Phillips would bring on the market?

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Janish actually could pose an interesting problem if he earns the job as the everyday SS in Cinti. Does Kepp hit enough to play the outfield? Does EE? Would it be better to go Kepp to 3rd, EE to the outfield or vice versa? Would it be better to go Kepp to 2nd, keep EE at 3d, and seeing what Phillips would bring on the market?

Honestly, unless Edwin makes drastic defensive improvements this year, I would shift him to LF, slide Kepp to 3B (unless Rosales shows he is ready) and play Gonzo at SS (unless Janish makes it).

SMcGavin
04-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Janish is hitting .297/.329/.459 currently in AAA. He has gone through a lot to get to where he is and his development was rushed due to injuries in the system to others. He may finally be at a spot where he is at the correct place for his development.

Well of course I hope you are right. But at the ages of 23 and 24 Janish compiled a .245/.356/.330 line in AA. He wasn't too young for that level, he was just a bad hitter. In almost 200 ABs last year in AAA it was .221/.278/.331. I don't care how good of a fielder you are, that is terrible. Right now it looks much likely that he is Juan Castro part II than a potential starting SS.

dougdirt
04-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Well of course I hope you are right. But at the ages of 23 and 24 Janish compiled a .245/.356/.330 line in AA. He wasn't too young for that level, he was just a bad hitter. In almost 200 ABs last year in AAA it was .221/.278/.331. I don't care how good of a fielder you are, that is terrible. Right now it looks much likely that he is Juan Castro part II than a potential starting SS.

Like I said though, he was promoted ahead of schedule due to injuries to other guys. His numbers were pretty ugly, but he was also a level or two ahead of where he should have been.

*BaseClogger*
04-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Jeff Keppinger is as good defensively as Alex Gonzalez.

(I'm going to keep saying it until people believe me.)

RedlegJake
04-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Kepp is fine at SS. What is valuable about him is he buys the Reds time to develop and promote guys like Janish, Valaika and Soto without being a drag on the ML team. Between Kepp and AGon (if he fully recovers) the Reds have through the end of 2009 before they really need to worry about SS as a problem. In comparison to other problems on the Reds, Kepp's range is esentially a nit to be picking at.

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Jeff Keppinger is as good defensively as Alex Gonzalez.

(I'm going to keep saying it until people believe me.)

You can say it a billion times. I will never believe it.

KoryMac5
04-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Keppinger played short in HS and college, he was switched to 2nd in the minors by the Pirates. He isn't very flashy and won't make the spectacular plays, but he makes up for his lack of range with good footwork and positioning. Here is the story from MetsScout.com:

When you came to the Mets from the Pirates, we heard all sorts of reports; he's shaky with his defense, not much range, etc. But then when you got up to Shea Stadium, we saw nothing like that - like you said, you got the job done. Why do you think you've been stuck with these reports?

For one, because I was a shortstop in high school and college. When I first got drafted by the Pirates, I was drafted as a shortstop. I went to Instructional ball and played there after signing late in 2001, so I waited and played shortstop after being out of ball for quite a little while. They threw me right in and said, 'Here, go play.'

I was a little sluggish, a little slow. I came around to my next spring training [in 2002] and they put me right to second base. They labeled me right away. They never gave me a chance. Then, when I got traded to the Mets, the first question I got asked was, 'How come you haven't played any short?'
The Mets asked you that?

Yeah. And I said, 'Hey, man, there's nothing I can tell you about it. But I'm really comfortable at second base now, though.' Second base is pretty easy. I'm pretty sure if you go back and look at the minor league seasons I've had, I'm probably among the top second baseman in fielding percentage in my league.
I grant, I'm not one of those little speedy guys who can run all around the field and who can make stupid plays, but at the same time, those guys who do that will probably make 10 or 15 more errors a year than I will. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want someone who's going to be your Steady Eddie when you get a ground ball, and who's going to turn that double play, make the play, not cost you a run - man on third, ninth inning, up by a run. It all depends what you're looking

JayBruceFan
04-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Can Keppinger pitch? :)

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Keppinger played short in HS and college, he was switched to 2nd in the minors by the Pirates. He isn't very flashy and won't make the spectacular plays, but he makes up for his lack of range with good footwork and positioning. Here is the story from MetsScout.com:

Its really hard to make up a lack of range with anything other than a Hanley Ramirez type bat at shortstop. Not that Kepp is as bad as Hanley defensively, but still, its real tough to make up for a lack of range at SS without a super bat.

OUReds
04-28-2008, 02:01 AM
He's slotted between two guys with very good range in Phillips and EE, that helps a lot. After AGon last year, it's a real relief to know that anything hit near SS is going to be an out.

Honestly, there hasn't been a single game this year I've I've though "man, Kepp's range is killing us out there". I can't really say that for, oh, any other facet of the Reds this year.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Its really hard to make up a lack of range with anything other than a Hanley Ramirez type bat at shortstop. Not that Kepp is as bad as Hanley defensively, but still, its real tough to make up for a lack of range at SS without a super bat.

I can't remember who posted it, but someone before the season started posted some stats that showed if Kepp hits .300+, with his range and some other saber type stats, the run differential that Kepp would cost the team would be miniscule at best.

I think as long as he is hitting over .300, he'll be fine at SS. The fact that he's RH bodes even better.

SMcGavin
04-28-2008, 09:17 AM

Don't the numbers you posted earlier (8th out of 15 in ZR, 11th in UZR) suggest Kepp is just slightly below average at SS? If that's the case his bat and sure hands more than make up the difference.

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Don't the numbers you posted earlier (8th out of 15 in ZR, 11th in UZR) suggest Kepp is just slightly below average at SS? If that's the case his bat and sure hands more than make up the difference.

Not exactly, it shows is is slightly below average in range on balls inside the expected SS zone. His plays out of his zone show he is even further down the totem pole in range. Keppinger, of the top 30 SS in baseball by innings played at SS, ranks 26th in out of zone plays made per 9 innings. Its really early in the season and the data is quite limited. Keppinger can hit enough so that he isn't hurting the team, but I would much rather have him hitting well at a position he can field at and be average at.

mbgrayson
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
To further this discussion, HERE (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=8&season=2008&seasonType=2&split=82&sortColumn=zoneRating) is a link to the ESPN fielding stats for NL shortstops:

And HERE (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=0&league=nl&season=2008&seasonType=2&sort=avg&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=ss) is a link to the ESPN batting stats of NL shortstops:

SMcGavin
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Not exactly, it shows is is slightly below average in range on balls inside the expected SS zone. His plays out of his zone show he is even further down the totem pole in range. Keppinger, of the top 30 SS in baseball by innings played at SS, ranks 26th in out of zone plays made per 9 innings. Its really early in the season and the data is quite limited. Keppinger can hit enough so that he isn't hurting the team, but I would much rather have him hitting well at a position he can field at and be average at.

Reading this, it just seems you are framing it to make the data say what you want it to say. Right now, in SS for all of MLB, Keppinger's RZR is 12th. That certainly does not imply he is below average at getting balls inside the expected SS zone. He ranks lowly in balls out of zone, but that is partly explained by the fact that it's just a number and not a rate statistic. The Reds have a mostly flyball prone staff, leading to less chances for Kepp. That doesn't explain away his out of zone numbers, but it does lead one to believe his ability to get balls out of his zone is better than the stats would suggest. Also, at this point in the season if Keppinger had made only two more out of zone plays he'd rank right in the middle of the pack in that category. Of course fielding percentage is less important than range, but you need to give it a little weight as well. In that category Keppinger is 6th in all of MLB.

It looks like this:
RZR: 12th
OOZ: 26th (3 plays worse than an average SS)
FLD%: 6th (3 errors better than an average SS)

The more data I see on Keppinger's defense, the more I am led to believe that he is just about average.

dougdirt
04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Reading this, it just seems you are framing it to make the data say what you want it to say. Right now, in SS for all of MLB, Keppinger's RZR is 12th. That certainly does not imply he is below average at getting balls inside the expected SS zone.
He is 9th in the NL. Thats below average. If he were playing in the AL it would be slightly different, but hes not.

He ranks lowly in balls out of zone, but that is partly explained by the fact that it's just a number and not a rate statistic. The Reds have a mostly flyball prone staff, leading to less chances for Kepp.
Kepp has 61 balls in his zone this year, which would rank him 13th in baseball. So I don't think his OOZ plays are really affected by his pitching staff giving up lots of fly balls.

Also, at this point in the season if Keppinger had made only two more out of zone plays he'd rank right in the middle of the pack in that category. Of course fielding percentage is less important than range, but you need to give it a little weight as well. In that category Keppinger is 6th in all of MLB.

It looks like this:
RZR: 12th
OOZ: 26th (3 plays worse than an average SS)

The more data I see on Keppinger's defense, the more I am led to believe that he is just about average.

So in a 6 month season Keppinger is on pace to allow 18 more singles than just your average shortstop. That doesn't sound 'average' to me. Given that at best his range is average compared to other NL shortstops and his range out of the zone is below average that doesn't tell me much about him being anywhere near average defensively.

Screwball
04-29-2008, 07:14 PM
So in a 6 month season Keppinger is on pace to allow 18 more singles than just your average shortstop.

And, using the same calculation, in a 6 month season he's on pace to allow 18 less errors than your average shortstop. Sounds like about average when you add it all up.

BTW, Kepp strikes me as the anti-EE. Will hardly make the spectacular play, but a grounder in his zone is an out virutally every time.

SMcGavin
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
He is 9th in the NL. Thats below average. If he were playing in the AL it would be slightly different, but hes not.

When you called his in-zone range below average before, it was when you said he was 8th out of 15. That's what made it seem like you were twisting numbers. 8th out of 15 is not below average. Also, I am not sure what the difference between AL and NL defense is, other than using NL only makes Keppinger look worse.

So in a 6 month season Keppinger is on pace to allow 18 more singles than just your average shortstop. That doesn't sound 'average' to me. Given that at best his range is average compared to other NL shortstops and his range out of the zone is below average that doesn't tell me much about him being anywhere near average defensively.

Screwball beat me to it. A SS missing a ball out of zone usually results in a single. An error by a shortstop usually results in a single. If he allows 18 more singles than your average SS, but also makes 18 less errors, that is what we call average. Just deleting the fielding percentage line when you quote my post doesn't make the data disappear.

dougdirt
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
When you called his in-zone range below average before, it was when you said he was 8th out of 15. That's what made it seem like you were twisting numbers. 8th out of 15 is not below average. Also, I am not sure what the difference between AL and NL defense is, other than using NL only makes Keppinger look worse.
Likely the the AL is more of a hitters league and they tend to let hitters play lesser defense than in the NL.

Screwball beat me to it. A SS missing a ball out of zone usually results in a single. An error by a shortstop usually results in a single. If he allows 18 more singles than your average SS, but also makes 18 less errors, that is what we call average. Just deleting the fielding percentage line when you quote my post doesn't make the data disappear.

I doubt he makes 18 less errors than average, with only 5 shortstops making more than 20 errors all year. Its a little early still to project anything over the course of the full season (even though I did in my previous post), but I think by the time July rolls around we will see that Keppinger is indeed a below average shortstop.

SMcGavin
04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Likely the the AL is more of a hitters league and they tend to let hitters play lesser defense than in the NL.

I don't agree with that, I think just right now there happens to be better defensive SS in the NL right now. If you look at other positions, the mix is pretty even. Seven of the top eleven 2B are from the AL. There's nothing inherently more difficult about playing SS in the AL or NL so it makes sense to use both leagues to maximize the sample.

Its a little early still to project anything over the course of the full season (even though I did in my previous post), but I think by the time July rolls around we will see that Keppinger is indeed a below average shortstop.

That's totally possible, 2008 is still a small sample. My post was intended to show that to this point, Keppinger has been almost a perfect picture of average defense. Can he keep it up? His fielding percentage is almost identical to 2007, and his range factor is only barely up. So I think Kepp is a good bet to still be pretty average once there is more data to look at. But I will agree with you that it will be interesting to look at things when we are three or four months into the season. In the meantime I think it is unfair to label Keppinger as a bad defensive SS because to this point that has not been the case.

*BaseClogger*
04-29-2008, 11:04 PM
FWIW, BP has him 1 run below average so far this season...