PDA

View Full Version : Clemens has 10 year affair with Minor???

icehole3
04-28-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=235805

saw this nuttiness on rotoworld. He needs to be examined by a shrink if this is true. Unreal, he makes Pete look like Pope Benedict.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Eyes/uh-oh.gif

WMR
04-28-2008, 07:58 AM
"8 year olds, Dude"

Tom Servo
04-28-2008, 08:03 AM
When it rains it pours, I suppose.

RedFanAlways1966
04-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Can we move this thread to the National Enquirer forum, please?

WMR
04-28-2008, 08:34 AM
The New York Daily News is hardly on the same level as the National Enquirer as far as credibility questions are concerned.

jojo
04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
And a new low for "journalism" mostly because for some reason people are willing to pay to see how low they can go.....

Chip R
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Roger may want to have a little chat with McCready. IIRC, she has done a bit of time herself a few years ago.

RedsBaron
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Amazing, and disgusting, if true.
Pete Rose isn't in the Hall of Fame, Mark McGwire didn't come close to being elected his first two years on the ballot, and the HOF chances of both Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are at least much more doubtful than they were a decade ago.

Unassisted
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
She certainly does have a strong resemblance to Mrs. Clemens.

Some wiseacre commented on the Daily News story that Mindy had named her baby Kery. :laugh:

What's with the picture in the Daily News gallery of her singing on stage while Rosie O'Donnell sits on a stool behind her holding her baby?

RFS62
04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
You want to know about Roger Clemens? Look at what he named his kids.

Every single thing in his life is all about him. His sense of entitlement, of being able to do anything he wants with impunity.

He introduces himself as "the Rocket"

Now that the press has the scent of blood, I'll bet there will be other things coming out that will add to his misery.

RedsManRick
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Baseball, the #3 favorite American sport behind 1.) football and 2.) Building people up for the purpose of tearing them down, kicking them repeatedly, and spitting on them.

Playadlc
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
You want to know about Roger Clemens? Look at what he named his kids.

Every single thing in his life is all about him. His sense of entitlement, of being able to do anything he wants with impunity.

He introduces himself as "the Rocket"

Now that the press has the scent of blood, I'll bet there will be other things coming out that will add to his misery.

Yeah, talk about self-obsessed. His kids names are Koby, Kody, Kacy and Kory. The whole K thing. I mean, what the hell?

rotnoid
04-28-2008, 12:34 PM
I heard it reported this morning that she's got a reality show that's about to come out where some of this would have been made public anyway. Sounds like they're trying to trump up the ratings a little bit.

WMR
04-28-2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.sifomg.net/rand/577px-Pedobear_17.jpg

membengal
04-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Right there is the problem with suing someone for allegedly defaming you. It puts your character at issue. Clemens was begging for this kind of thing to come out when he filed the suit against McNamee...

VR
04-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah, talk about self-obsessed. His kids names are Koby, Kody, Kacy and Kory. The whole K thing. I mean, what the hell?

I hadn't paid enough attention to notice that. How very sad indeed.

pahster
04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
WMR:

I never thought I'd see Pedobear on Redszone. :p:

BrooklynRedz
04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
The New York Daily News is hardly on the same level as the National Enquirer as far as credibility questions are concerned.

Nate Vinton, one of the four writers with their names attached to the piece, was formerly employed by me in two different projects. He is one of the best young writers around, having previously covered the FIS Alpine Ski circuit and the NFL. I'll vouch for his credibility, fwiw.

He was hired late last fall to lead the investigative unit at the Daily News to cover the unfolding steroids story. Trust me here, he wouldn't allow something like this to completely ruin his career.

WMR
04-28-2008, 01:49 PM
WMR:

I never thought I'd see Pedobear on Redszone. :p:

:laugh:

I couldn't resist. Pedo bear makes me LMAO.

Rojo
04-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Damon or Ryan?

BCubb2003
04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I feel sorry for the pitcher who has to name his children Billy Bob and Bonnie Beth.

MrCinatit
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Nate Vinton, one of the four writers with their names attached to the piece, was formerly employed by me in two different projects. He is one of the best young writers around, having previously covered the FIS Alpine Ski circuit and the NFL. I'll vouch for his credibility, fwiw.

He was hired late last fall to lead the investigative unit at the Daily News to cover the unfolding steroids story. Trust me here, he wouldn't allow something like this to completely ruin his career.

Interesting.
And, more and more, I am less likely to take Roger's word for about anything.

WebScorpion
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Interesting.
And, more and more, I am less likely to take Roger's word for about anything.
He lost most of his credibility with me when he claimed his alleged HGH shots in his rump were lidocaine. (It's a local anasthetic, so I guess he had a major pain in the posterior) Then later, before the subcommittee, he claimed it was just vitamin B. He's got the same problem Pete had...he thinks he's above mere mortals and shouldn't have to follow mortal rules. :rolleyes: Very sad, IMHO.

icehole3
04-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Im glad that someone backs the messenger, its not their fault that Roger has zoomed past Pete Rose in the moral court of opinion. Anyone backing Roger after this non-sense and Im hearing that there are other parts of Roger's dark past that McNamara is going to reveal. Lets get it all out there so Roger can disappear forever.

Highlifeman21
04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
"8 year olds, Dude"

I was just thinking the same quote!

Aronchis
04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Clemens enjoys the darkness.

Now, I don't believe completely ridding yourself of darkness is a good thing. But guys like Clemens lean to far in to the darkness. They enjoy the experimentations of it without much of a afterthought of the consenquences it brings.

KronoRed
04-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Gross.

Highlifeman21
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM
The title of this thread is a little misleading.

While he may have had a 10 year affair with this singer, only 3 years of the 10 would have been with her as a minor.

For 7 of those years, she was fair game, in a matter of speaking...

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't know if Roger did or did not have the affair, but it would not surprise me at all if he did. Sadly, I think there are many pro athletes that commit adultery. I have some friends that work in pro sports that are in the know and they've told me just how amazed they are about how few pro athletes are actually faithful.

icehole3
04-28-2008, 07:33 PM

While he may have had a 10 year affair with this singer, only 3 years of the 10 would have been with her as a minor.

one second with a minor cant be excused

:thumbdown

Highlifeman21
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
one second with a minor cant be excused

:thumbdown

That wasn't my point.

Not even remotely.

cumberlandreds
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
If Clemens is proven to have had this affair,I wonder how much Mrs. Clemens story about steriod use changes?

redsfan4445
04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
not trying to make light of it, but i can see a Catch the predator episode on SNL catching Clemens with a 15yr old..

Matt700wlw
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
not trying to make light of it, but i can see a Catch the predator episode on SNL catching Clemens with a 15yr old..

No way...SNL wouldn't do that ;)

klw
04-29-2008, 08:01 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8082462/McCready-confirms-relationship-with-Clemens

Singer says she can't refute anything in story

jojo
04-29-2008, 08:08 AM

I can't figure out why print journalism is dying.

WVRed
04-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Roger Clemens is a pedophile.

That just sounded so wrong.

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~cappy85/images/old_man.gif

WMR
04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I can't figure out why print journalism is dying.

I know it's not because digital journalism is any less skeevy or scandalous.

Unassisted
04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/04/28/2008-04-28_mindy_mccready_weeps_as_she_confirms_aff.html

Mindy McCready weeps as she confirms affair with Roger Clemens

BY TERI THOMPSON, MICHAEL O'KEEFFE and NATHANIEL VINTON in New York and CHRISTIAN RED in Nashville
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 3:18 AM

Barricaded behind tightly drawn blinds at her Nashville home Monday, country singer Mindy McCready confirmed a long-term affair with embattled pitcher Roger Clemens.

"I cannot refute anything in the story," a tearful but resolute McCready told the Daily News, which broke the story at midnight Sunday.

The News reported that the two met in a Florida karaoke bar when McCready was a 15-year-old aspiring singer and Clemens was a 28-year-old ace for the Red Sox and a married father of two.

"Yes, I have known Roger Clemens for a long time," McCready said, reading from a prepared statement. "He's a kind and caring man. He's also a legendary athlete. The central topic in the debate, however, regards his professional life, not his personal life.

"There are legal matters working their way through the system that have nothing to do with me. From my point of view, that is where the focus should remain."

After the teenage McCready met Clemens at a Fort Myers bar called The Hired Hand, she returned with the Rocket to his hotel room, but there was no sex that night, sources told The News.

It wasn't until later, after McCready had moved to Nashville and become a country singing star, that the relationship turned intimate.

Clemens is under FBI investigation for perjury after denying, under oath, accusations by his former personal trainer Brian McNamee that the seven-time Cy Young Award winner used performance-enhancing drugs.

The Rocket filed a defamation suit against McNamee on Jan. 6. McNamee's lawyer Richard Emery said revelations of the affair would have a big impact on that case because they influence Clemens' claim that his reputation was damaged.

"If the case heads to trial and is not dismissed, as we feel it should be, we will be calling [McCready] as a witness," Emery said.

"The point is whether he was damaged by the allegations that he used steroids - he claims he was hurt. But if there are other women - and there's not just one case, but many - and he holds himself out as a family man and an American paradigm, it's relevant.

"None of this would have been revealed but for his lawsuit and sanctimonious testimony before Congress."

In a statement Monday, Clemens' lawyer Rusty Hardin confirmed McCready was a longtime friend of Clemens and his family, but said the relationship was not sexual.

"At no time did Roger engage in any kind of inappropriate or improper relationship with her," he said. But sources with knowledge of the relationship between the singer and Clemens say McCready has never met Roger's wife, Debbie Clemens.

Debbie Clemens had already emerged as a character in the Mitchell Report saga in February, when The News first reported that McNamee had injected the former cheerleader with human growth hormone before she posed for a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.

Clemens later confirmed the tale in his congressional testimony.

The News also reported Monday that Clemens sent bundles of cash to McCready in FedEx packages to help her out financially.

She suffered some legal troubles, which included a 2004 arrest for prescription fraud and jail time last year for violating probation.

Sources told The News McCready also received hefty checks courtesy of Clemens - some in the amount of $25,000 - that were channeled to the singer through an intermediary.

Such an arrangement raises questions as to why Clemens would go through a third party to give money to McCready if she and the Rocket were just friends.

"It's suspicious conduct, and it's something that we will question Clemens about in a deposition," McNamee lawyer Earl Ward said. "Every avenue will be explored at the deposition [in Clemens' defamation suit]."

McCready did her part to put some positive light on Clemens and his legal morass.

"I have no doubt that Roger has excellent legal representation and he will emerge from this a strong person and a revered athlete," she said. "I wish him and his family the best."

Details of the relationship could also emerge in several media projects that McCready is involved in, including a documentary film, which is to begin filming soon, a new album and a reality show

BCubb2003
04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
After the teenage McCready met Clemens at a Fort Myers bar called The Hired Hand, she returned with the Rocket to his hotel room, but there was no sex that night, sources told The News.

It wasn't until later, after McCready had moved to Nashville and become a country singing star, that the relationship turned intimate.

She would have been 18 then, which puts things in a slightly less icky context. We and the Daily News should be careful about how the story is cast.

Chip R
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
She would have been 18 then, which puts things in a slightly less icky context. We and the Daily News should be careful about the story is cast.

Yes, but one has to wonder why he brought a 15 year old girl to his hotel room. Perhaps there was no sex but people have different definitions of that.

BCubb2003
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes, but one has to wonder why he brought a 15 year old girl to his hotel room. Perhaps there was no sex but people have different definitions of that.

Yes, I thought of that. Depends on what "intimate" is. In cases like this, it's best to assume less rather than more about what you don't know.

membengal
04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
It is pretty much NEVER a good idea, if you are a grown man, to take a 15-year-old girl back to your hotel room. Never. Even if you are going there for bible study.

dabvu2498
04-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Roger Clemens haiku:

She's only fifteen
I only wanted to talk
Hi, I'm Chris Hansen

Heath
04-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Things you do for fame.

There are days that I'm glad I have a 59 mph fastball.

flyer85
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
If the Rockets objective was to salvage his public persona I think it is safe to say he has failed miserably.

Always Red
04-29-2008, 12:46 PM
If the Rockets objective was to salvage his public persona I think it is safe to say he has failed miserably.

It's like the watching the proverbial train wreck in slow motion; I want to turn away, but simply cannot avert my eyes.

There is a Shakespearean play somewhere in this tragedy; seldom have we ever seen someone fall from the pinnacle to the bottom so quickly. So sad, for all concerned.

KronoRed
04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Lock him up.

Strikes Out Looking
04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Things you do for fame.

There are days that I'm glad I have a 59 mph fastball.

Not to hijack the thread, but if you are a lefty, there is one team I think you could beat.:D

Johnny Footstool
04-29-2008, 02:22 PM

And plus she was hot. That counts for something, doesn't it?:evil:

Really, though, it's possible he thought she was 18 when they met. She was singing in a bar, after all.

Of course, the second he found out she was underage, he should have said, "It was nice meeting you. Call me in three years," and left it at that.

Granted, I don't like defending Skidmark (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0166048/) ("Kingpin," anyone?) when he was cheating on his wife, but branding him a pedophile is a little out of line at this point.

CrackerJack
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Clemens is a sick person. You just wonder if his influence helped to make her the train wreck she is now with drugs and bad relationships.

RedsFan75
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Makes you wonder if she didn't get that hit song from Rogers life...

"Guys do it all the time"

flyer85
04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I doubt few of us would like our personal lives to be paraded in full public view.

RedsManRick
04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I find it frustrating that we, as a society, feel the need to projection our ideals on to normal people. It's not enough for Roger Clemens to be among the greatest pitchers in baseball history. He needs to be a model citizen, great father and husband, etc.

He's not a hero. Never was. He was a baseball player, one of the best ever. The end. I don't care what he did with whom in his spare time and I'm tired of things like that taking up ink when I just want to read about sports.

Sea Ray
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I find it frustrating that we, as a society, feel the need to projection our ideals on to normal people. It's not enough for Roger Clemens to be among the greatest pitchers in baseball history. He needs to be a model citizen, great father and husband, etc.

He's not a hero. Never was. He was a baseball player, one of the best ever. The end. I don't care what he did with whom in his spare time and I'm tired of things like that taking up ink when I just want to read about sports.

Rick, I don't care how many steroids he took and I don't care how many women he's had. But I do care about him lying to me, "Joe Public", everytime he speaks. If he had admitted the steroids like Pettitte did and said "this is a private matter..." in this case I'd still respect him. I cannot respect a person who is sworn before Congress and lies before our very eyes while taking a man with lesser resources (McNamee) down a bad, bad path.

RedsManRick
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Rick, I don't care how many steroids he took and I don't care how many women he's had. But I do care about him lying to me, "Joe Public", everytime he speaks. If he had admitted the steroids like Pettitte did and said "this is a private matter..." in this case I'd still respect him. I cannot respect a person who is sworn before Congress and lies before our very eyes while taking a man with lesser resources (McNamee) down a bad, bad path.

I don't respect him as a person either, on the basis of him lying to the public. But this isn't about my respect for him. The bottom line is that I don't want to hear about it at all, whether he's a liar or not. His private dalliances have absolutely nothing to do with baseball, period.

Highlifeman21
04-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Interesting take.

I sort of agree. Clemens put together one Hell of a body of work on the mound during his career, but thanks to Mr. McNamee, we're left wondering about the true and real Clemens, vs. the fictional and artificial Clemens. While I don't think him potentially using steroids (and for the record, I think he juiced) gave him electric stuff or helped his control and command and all the things that made The Rocket The Rocket, I do think him potentially using steroids gave him longevity and helped his body recover quicker between starts. Unfortunately, that added bonus from steroids had to count for something. For what it counted, I'm not certain (and I doubt many people truly can be certain).

There are plenty of drug-abusers, alcoholics, gamblers, racists and general SOBs in the various HOFs. While Clemens' relationship with this country singer may make me raise an eyebrow about his off the field activities, it doesn't make me question what he did on the field. They are very much so mutually exclusive. And they should be.

RFS62
04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't respect him as a person either, on the basis of him lying to the public. But this isn't about my respect for him. The bottom line is that I don't want to hear about it at all, whether he's a liar or not. His private dalliances have absolutely nothing to do with baseball, period.

Actually, his actions of late have a lot to do with baseball. It's more than a game played on the field, it's a business. And the negative publicity and attention his actions have brought to the business of baseball is detrimental to that business.

What business would like to have one of it's most visible representatives hauled before congress to testify in this whole sordid mess, only to be investigated for perjury immediately thereafter? What business needs him up there glad-handing congressmen and taping telephone conversations and making such a monumental ass out of himself on a worldwide stage?

I respect his talent on the field. That's where it stops with me, and his on field performance is now in question.

I'd love it if he'd just go away and shut the hell up.

bucksfan2
04-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Well said RMR. I agree. I have made some decisions in my life that I am not fond of. I have never done anything illegal, well by days taking effedria back in college may be one day, nor have I ever spent a day in jail. However every one of my decisions has been broadcast in the limelight. I haven't had to answer to joe public for the nights I went out drinking with friends. I didn't have to answer to anyone but myself the days I skipped class in college because I wanted to go golfing. When I go out to dinner all I have I don't have to worry about the person next to me or across the restaurant stalking me for an autograph. I don't make a ton of money and I do envy that about baseball players but on the same hand I don't know if I would enjoy the unwatned celebrity that comes along with being a professional.

Clemens may be the nicest guy. He may be a down right SOB. He was one heck of a pitcher, probably the greatest I have ever seen (until this year with Cueto :p:). I personally don't hold anything against him. He never put anyone else at risk and his destructive decisions only hurt himself and the people around him.

Unassisted
04-29-2008, 06:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3372199&type=story

Allegations unlikely to see court, but could trouble Clemens
By Lester Munson
ESPN.com

Roger Clemens says country singer Mindy McCready is a family friend. Others have told the New York Daily News that Clemens was involved in a decade-long affair with McCready after the two reportedly met when Clemens was a 28-year-old Boston Red Sox pitcher and she was a 15-year-old singer.

Attorneys for Brian McNamee, the trainer who says he helped Clemens use performance-enhancing drugs, suggest that the sensational allegations will somehow help them defeat a slander and defamation case Clemens has filed against McNamee.

The trainer's lawyers argue that Clemens is claiming "purity" and a sterling reputation, and they can now use the supposed McCready affair to prove the contrary. The allegations about McCready and the response from McNamee's lawyers raise a series of legal questions.

Here are some of the questions and their answers:

Question: How can McNamee's lawyers use an affair with a singer to show that Clemens was lying when he said he had never used performance-enhancing drugs?

Answer: They can't. Even assuming that the allegations are true, it is unlikely they would ever become evidence in a trial.

It is easy to understand why Richard Emery, McNamee's lead attorney, would exult in the allegations and claim that they will help McNamee. It's always fun to see your opponent in a bad spot.

However, the issues in the Clemens defamation suit are whether McNamee lied and whether the lies damaged Clemens' reputation. Emery asserts that the supposed affair shows that Clemens was always a bad guy with a bad reputation.

But the allegations are brand-new. They have never before been reported. And timing is important here: Clemens' reputation at the time of the McNamee statements is the reputation that matters, not the reputation he suddenly has now. The romance is not material to the two main issues in the defamation case.

Bottom line: The evidence of any romance will not be admissible if the Clemens defamation case ever progresses to a trial.

Q: What is the worst that can happen to Clemens and his lawsuit as the result of the reports of the romance?

A: McNamee's lawyers will be able to investigate the allegations. Their investigation will include taking a deposition of McCready. They will be permitted to "discover" what McCready says, a routine part of the preparation for the trial of any civil lawsuit.

That deposition could be humiliating and embarrassing for Clemens, particularly if it is on video and released to the public. McNamee's lawyers will be permitted to ask McCready how and when she met Clemens, and they will be permitted to ask for the details of the relationship.

But the scope of investigation and discovery is much larger than the scope of the evidence that will be permitted at the trial. They can inquire. They can force McCready to answer intimate questions. But they will not be able to use the fruits of their inquiry in the trial.

Professor Geoffrey Stone of the University of Chicago Law School, a nationally recognized expert on First Amendment and defamation issues, told ESPN.com: "It is not at all obvious to me how something like this could ever be admissible in the trial of his defamation case."

Q: Is there any possible way for McNamee's lawyers to succeed in making the McCready allegations relevant to the issues in the Clemens lawsuit?

A: Maybe. If McNamee's lawyers can prove that an affair actually began when McCready was underage, it would be evidence of the crime of statutory rape. In some courts, evidence of a crime, even if the person was never charged, can be used to show that an individual (Clemens) is a person who cannot and should not be believed. The evidence of the uncharged crime can be used to show that the individual has reduced credibility.

If a judge presiding over the trial of the Clemens lawsuit adopted that theory of the law, it would be the end of Clemens' lawsuit.

Q: What is the total effect of these tantalizing allegations on Clemens' defamation case?

A: It might lead to the end of the lawsuit. Even though the evidence is almost certainly inadmissible, the reports of the romance add to a series of problems that have plagued the suit.

McNamee's attorneys have raised a powerful argument that Rusty Hardin, Clemens' lead attorney should be disqualified from participation in the case (see April 14 story).

And even with his assertions that McCready is a family friend, Clemens cannot be looking forward to an investigation and eventual deposition of McCready. He could avoid all of this and any future embarrassment by dismissing the case now and cutting his losses.

Lester Munson, a Chicago lawyer and journalist who reports on investigative and legal issues in the sports industry, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

WMR
04-29-2008, 06:31 PM
McNamee's lawyers can go anywhere in a deposition, and to be frank, they should.

Clemens wanted to play hardball, he's getting his wish.

Sea Ray
04-29-2008, 06:45 PM

It's Clemens fault that this is news. If he'd just copped up to the HGH thing like Pettitte did we'd be done with it by now. If he'd not sent his lawyer out to deny these charges we wouldn't be saying he lied to us again. Clemens filed suit against McNamee hear. If he doesn't want his closet emptied he'd best go away like Mark McGwire did.

RedsManRick
04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
It's Clemens fault that this is news. If he'd just copped up to the HGH thing like Pettitte did we'd be done with it by now. If he'd not sent his lawyer out to deny these charges we wouldn't be saying he lied to us again. Clemens filed suit against McNamee hear. If he doesn't want his closet emptied he'd best go away like Mark McGwire did.

My problem is not with Clemens, though I think his actions are reprehensible, it's with the media. There is no absolutely standard of what is newsworthy and what isn't other than the media covering whatever draws the biggest audience. That's their prerogative, I suppose. But there are perjury cases against people more influential and important than Roger Clemens which never see the light of a television camera.

I just don't care to hear about it and turn the channel/station when sports coverage moves in this direction. I guess that that prerogative is mine.

M2
04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I didn't even think Roger Clemens knew Ryan Minor (http://www.yorkrevolution.com/images/coach_ryanNEW.jpg).

Always Red
04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
My problem is not with Clemens, though I think his actions are reprehensible, it's with the media. There is no absolutely standard of what is newsworthy and what isn't other than the media covering whatever draws the biggest audience. That's their prerogative, I suppose. But there are perjury cases against people more influential and important than Roger Clemens which never see the light of a television camera.

I just don't care to hear about it and turn the channel/station when sports coverage moves in this direction. I guess that that prerogative is mine.

RMR, I usually agree with nearly everything that you type- but not this. Roger Clemens brought this upon himself, and he forced it to become an issue by his arrogance in literally demanding his day in front of Congress, to deny, deny, deny. He tried to make a liar out of McNamee, a liar himself, whom it appears is now a reformed liar. One thing has led to another...

I also have done things that I wish I had not done, and would be ashamed to admit to in public. But there are very few of us who have the chutzpah of Roger Clemens. What Roger never figured out (or did too late) is that once you are done with the game, you are no longer untouchable, people will not cover for you anymore, once you are of no further use.

The media is not at fault in this case, IMO. Roger Clemens is a huge figure, because of his legendary stature in the game, and also because of his continued, vehement denials of everything. Nearly the same as Peter Edward Rose. Different case, different situation, of course. (Rose was never a pedophile, to anyone's knowledge.) I do believe that Clemens will ultimately suffer the same fate as Rose, however- a pariah in the game that they loved and excelled at.

I do not blame the media at all for this. I blame Roger Clemens.

Unassisted
04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
I didn't even think Roger Clemens knew Ryan Minor (http://www.yorkrevolution.com/images/coach_ryanNEW.jpg).Every time I read this thread's title, I think of the homonym.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/gcu/lowres/gcun16l.jpg

Rojo
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I didn't even think Roger Clemens knew Ryan Minor (http://www.yorkrevolution.com/images/coach_ryanNEW.jpg).

So funny I went back in time and stole it. :)

cumberlandreds
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Every time I read this thread's title, I think of the homonym.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/gcu/lowres/gcun16l.jpg

I grew up in a small coal mining community,Cumberland,KY. So when I was very young I would here this phrase a lot or see it posted on the liquor stores in town and wonder why the miners, like my dad, couldn't be served this. :p:

GAC
04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
How many times have we seen where people with self-absorbed ego's (arrogance), which, in the case of a professional athlete propels their competitiveness to success on that playing field, also leads to their downfall at some point?

Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Roger Clemens are just a few that come to mind.

Aronchis
04-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Being a professional star sports player is like being a rock star, politicians, movie star ete ete ete. Power corrupts, power corrupts completely. Maybe if Clemens had been just some joe6pack working for a living, he doesn't turn out this way. Clemens has had his share of groupies over the years.

icehole3
04-30-2008, 01:05 PM
now it sounds like Roger was working it coast to coast

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24350727/

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

Chip R
04-30-2008, 01:09 PM

For his sake I hope these women were over 18.

flyer85
04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Someone needs to take the shovel away from Roger and end his lawsuit ... that hole is getting deep.

M2
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
So funny I went back in time and stole it. :)

My bad, I combed through the thread to see if anyone else had used it and I missed your post.

I probably missed it because all I can think of is Clemens insisting "I can't quit you!" to a clearly touched Ryan Minor. It's comedy so powerful it makes my brain fuzzy.

RedsBaron
04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Really, though, it's possible he thought she was 18 when they met. She was singing in a bar, after all.

Of course, the second he found out she was underage, he should have said, "It was nice meeting you. Call me in three years," and left it at that.

Actually, the second he bothered to recall that he was married he should have said, "It was nice meeting you, " and left it at that, with no invitation to call him once she was legal.

Unassisted
04-30-2008, 01:35 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/04/29/2008-04-29_source_roger_clemens_had_several_women_f.html

Source: Roger Clemens had several women, flew them on private jet

BY TERI THOMPSON and MICHAEL O'KEEFFE in New York and Christian Red in Nashville
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Wednesday, April 30th 2008, 12:10 AM
Egan-Chin/News

Roger Clemens hung out with several attractive women in his baseball career, including beauties in California and Boston and a former Manhattan bartender named Angela Moyer.

Clemens, 45, flew the women around the country on his private jet and bought expensive jewelry for at least one of them, a source told the Daily News Tuesday.

As the Daily News first reported Sunday, the Rocket carried on a decade-long affair with country singer Mindy McCready, who confirmed the romantic relationship Monday.

Moyer, a 30-year-old Realtor who lives in the Harrisburg, Pa., area, worked as a bartender from 2000 to 2004 at Sutton Place, a yuppie East Side watering hole. That's roughly the same time the pitching legend played for the Yankees.

Moyer acknowledged she knew Clemens, but has declined to discuss the relationship. She was spotted driving up to her father's apartment house Tuesday night, but said only "no comment" when asked about Clemens. She then sped off.

McCready, meanwhile, appeared at a suburban Nashville studio Tuesday to begin recording the comeback album she hopes will revive her career, which has stalled as the result of legal troubles.

"I've been playing poker and I invented a new game called 'I win,'" McCready said with a laugh, still nervous from her time under the media microscope this week.

Her mother, Gayle Inge, later told The News, "I know Roger was infatuated with Mindy."

The romantic relationship with McCready could cause big problems for Clemens, who portrayed himself as a devoted family man at the Feb. 13 congressional hearing on steroids and baseball.

Clemens filed a defamation suit in January against Brian McNamee, his former personal trainer, who accused the seven-time Cy Young Award winner of using performanceenhancing drugs.

McNamee's lawyer, Richard Emery, said revelations of affairs could hamper Clemens' claims that McNamee's drug allegations damaged his reputation.

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, did not return a call for comment Tuesday night.

The FBI is investigating Clemens for perjury after he denied McNamee's steroid accusations under oath at the February congressional hearing.

His wife, Debbie, has also emerged as a character in Clemens' Mitchell Report saga. The News first reported that McNamee injected Clemens' wife with human growth hormone before she posed for a Sports Illustrated swimsuit spread.

Former slugger Jose Canseco said he was stunned to learn his former teammate had an affair with McCready.

"I found out about it Tuesday and it took me completely by surprise," said Canseco, who wrote in his first book, "Juiced," that the legendary pitcher never strayed from his wife.

"I saw none of it. If it is true, he kept it secret."

Roy Tucker
04-30-2008, 01:38 PM
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Rojo
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
My bad, I combed through the thread to see if anyone else had used it and I missed your post.

No problem, great minds and all that.

VR
04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm starting to suspect Canseco is either on Clemens payroll, or under a serious threat of legal action from Roger's legal team.

KronoRed
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Pass the popcorn.

Highlifeman21
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM

When you own a jet, might as well use it to your advantage....

I think Ludacris wrote a song about Clemens' women....

MrCinatit
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I cannot refute anything in the story, McCready told the newspaper in a story posted on its Web site Monday night.

Yikes.

vaticanplum
04-30-2008, 09:57 PM

RMR, I agree with you, but not if he committed a crime. Cheat on your wife? I don't care to hear about it. Cheat on your wife with a 15-year-old? I don't care to hear about it, but I think the courts should, and when the courts get mixed up with a public figure we're just going to hear about it, period. As a baseball player, he doesn't need to be a model citizen, but as an American citizen, he does need to not sleep with underage girls or else pay the price if he does.

I know your real issue is with what the media chooses to focus on and I agree with you there. I also think it's reprehensible -- a seriously societal problem, actually -- how much time and hate people devote to stories like this that have nothing to do with them. And I'm fully aware that the media and most of the public are more interested in the shock value of the story than in the welfare of the girl in question or anybody else. But the alternative is to bury these stories and/or to silence, in this case, young girls who have had crimes committed against them, and I'm not comfortable with that. That can only lead to worse and worse things for more and more people.

Highlifeman21
04-30-2008, 10:08 PM
RMR, I agree with you, but not if he committed a crime. Cheat on your wife? I don't care to hear about it. Cheat on your wife with a 15-year-old? I don't care to hear about it, but I think the courts should, and when the courts get mixed up with a public figure we're just going to hear about it, period. As a baseball player, he doesn't need to be a model citizen, but as an American citizen, he does need to not sleep with underage girls or else pay the price if he does.

I know your real issue is with what the media chooses to focus on and I agree with you there. I also think it's reprehensible -- a seriously societal problem, actually -- how much time and hate people devote to stories like this that have nothing to do with them. And I'm fully aware that the media and most of the public are more interested in the shock value of the story than in the welfare of the girl in question or anybody else. But the alternative is to bury these stories and/or to silence, in this case, young girls who have had crimes committed against them, and I'm not comfortable with that. That can only lead to worse and worse things for more and more people.

True or false VP, you're a member of The Rocket's harem?

Chip R
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
A lot of people put the blame on the media for all this stuff. They don't care if Clemens was fooling around on his wife. Maybe we shouldn't care about that sort of thing. That's the way it used to be. The general public didn't know athletes did things off the field that were less than honorable. Maybe that's the way it should be.

But, on the other hand, the media will also get into these guys' private lives in a good way. If you use Clemens as an example, they have done features on how good of a father/husband he has been and that is the image that has been presented to the public. If that's the case and the opposite is true, should the same public that ate all that family stuff up with a spoon know the truth?

vaticanplum
04-30-2008, 10:47 PM
True or false VP, you're a member of The Rocket's harem?

He lost interest in me when he found out I could tie my shoes.

RedsFan75
05-01-2008, 12:00 AM
He lost interest in me when he found out I could tie my shoes.

Line of the thread!!!!

:beerme::clap:

Unassisted
05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/04/30/2008-04-30_roger_clemens_linked_to_john_dalys_ex.html?prin t=1&page=all

Roger Clemens linked to John Daly's ex

BY TERI THOMPSON, MICHAEL O'KEEFFE and NATHANIEL VINTON in New York and CHRISTIAN RED in Nashville
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 1:23 AM

For Roger Clemens, the hits just keep on coming.

Several sources told the Daily News Wednesday that Clemens had a relationship with Paulette Dean Daly, a former wife of champion golfer John Daly.

The sources said Clemens, a married father of four, arranged trips to Anaheim Stadium for Daly - the latest woman to emerge as an alleged Rocket flame - to watch him pitch forthe Yankees against the Angels. Sources also said he spent time with her in Palm Springs, Calif.

The pair met at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, a Palm Springs golf tournament that Paulette Dean Daly has been involved with for many years - including stints as a "Classic Girl," one of the beautiful women who help in ceremonial duties at the event, sources said.

"Yeah, I've known Roger quite a while and we are friends," Daly said yesterday.

She declined to elaborate on the nature of her relationship with the pitcher, but did not deny allegations from several sources that it was romantic and included financial support.

Asked if she had been romantically involved with Clemens, Daly replied: "You know what, I'm really uncomfortable talking about this. I'm just going to have to say, 'No comment.'

"I know Roger. I consider him a good friend. That's all I'm comfortable saying."

Clemens' relationship with Daly is said to have come after the end of her marriage to the hard-driving golfer. That was on the heels of a grim incident at the 1997 Players Championship, where the golfer was taken to a hospital with alcohol poisoning.

The beauty married the golfer in Las Vegas in January 1995 at the Little Church of the West. He wore blue jeans, cowboy boots, a dark jacket and no tie. She wore white.

Daly is still involved with the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic as an organizer of famously lavish parties there.

News reports have described Clemens as being in attendance as recently as two years ago, dancing around the party with an 8-foot-long boa constrictor around his neck.

The revelations of Clemens' dalliances come as he and his lawyer, Rusty Hardin, pursue a defamation suit against former trainer Brian McNamee, who has accused Clemens of using performance-enhancing drugs.

In an effort to discredit McNamee in January, Hardin circulated information about a 2001 incident in Florida where McNamee was investigated for sexual assault but was never charged.

Now Clemens' flawed past is coming to light, which legal experts say is inevitable for anyone pursuing a defamation case because a successful injury claim depends on an undamaged reputation.

Hardin has argued that Clemens' personal life is irrelevant to the issue of steroid and human-growth hormone use - a notion that draws scoffing from Ernest Nargi, a New York lawyer and former prosecutor.

"In any court, and in any deposition, this would be explored - it goes to the heart of the truth," Nargi said. "If he's not going to be honest with his wife, who is he going to be honest with? He's taken a vow with his wife."

McNamee's lawyers have said they will pursue sworn testimony from any mistresses who emerge, including testimony from country singer Mindy McCready, who on Monday confirmed the details of a Daily News exclusive story describing her long-term affair with Clemens.

McCready, who has added New York-based publicist Susan Blond and consultant Mike Vaden to her team, recorded tracks for a new album at the Sound Kitchen studio in Franklin, Tenn., yesterday, doing her best to transition into a career revival.

After just over three hours of recording, McCready ducked into her car.

Clemens, who is under FBI investigation for perjury, has not spoken publicly this week about his situation.

Hardin did not respond to requests for comment.

Nargi said if he were Hardin, he would sit down and ask his client if it was proper to settle the defamation suit.

"If Roger was my client, I'd say, 'Look, let's sit down and find out what's out there,'" Nargi said. "'How many women are there? A girl a day? Every 15 minutes is one going to materialize from a bar or a trailer?' Hardin needs to find out what's out there."

flyer85
05-01-2008, 12:32 PM
the end result is that everyone, including Roger himself, will end up under the bus.

MrCinatit
05-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Is anyone else "waiting" for the inevitable awkward South Park-esque press conference where Roger addresses this, his wife standing uncomfortably to the side in the background, eyes downcast - maybe even a couple of his kids in the background with "what am I doing here!!??!!" looks on their faces.
Because, it will happen. Oh, I can feel it.

marcshoe
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure you'll get the press conference; Clemens has little left to salvage.

I can't take any joy in this. This is one more thing gone--the idea that i lived to see possibly the greatest pitcher of all time in his prime. That's all washed away, along with the excitement of the McGwire and Sosa year. I have to admit I never took much joy in Bonds' accomplishments anyway--by the time they came along, it was obvious that something was wrong.

Sea Ray
05-02-2008, 10:46 AM
It seems that the pattern with these flames is along with the "affair" comes financial help of some sort. Can't Roger get women without paying them something?

Chip R
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
It seems that the pattern with these flames is along with the "affair" comes financial help of some sort. Can't Roger get women without paying them something?

It's called "hush money".

Johnny Footstool
05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Actually, the second he bothered to recall that he was married he should have said, "It was nice meeting you, " and left it at that, with no invitation to call him once she was legal.

True.

But I figured it wasn't the first time he had cheated on his wife, so he had already decided his marriage wasn't important.

I guess he also decided that the age of consent laws weren't very important, either.

Roy Tucker
05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Should a ballplayer getting a little on the side be news? Generally speaking, I'd say no.

It happens in every walk of life and more to ballplayers because of their money and fame. I don't care to hear about it.

But Roger filed the defamation of character suit. Once that happened, Pandora's box gets opened. Sitting in public judgment is does he have a good character that got besmirched. Open season, dude. Or as we used to say when we were kids, "you started it".

icehole3
05-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Doc had a great article about Pete and Roger, he was on spot with this article

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080502/COL03/805020414/1082/SPT

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/skins0304/hi5.gif

flyer85
05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Clemens asks you to believe that everyone else is wrong. Andy Pettitte "misremembered" his friend's use of performance enhancers. McNamee is a disloyal liar. The women? Just friends. It was his wife, Clemens asserted, who used HGH. Not Roger.it is way beyond ludicrous. Now besides being a juicer we now know he is a womanizer and a cad.

Keep up the good work Roger! :thumbup:

I wonder what else we don't know yet.

Chip R
05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Doc had a great article about Pete and Roger, he was on spot with this article

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080502/COL03/805020414/1082/SPT

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/skins0304/hi5.gif

I heard him talk about that a little last night and he makes good points. The difference here is that there was eventually a smoking gun with Pete. Clemens can admit to the affairs and all the other stuff and keep denying he took HGH because there's no smoking gun. There's only McNamee and he has credibility problems.

flyer85
05-02-2008, 01:31 PM
There's only McNamee and he has credibility problems.Roger has his own credibility problems ... which is really the issue. He's out denying the affairs/womanizing and the babes aren't. To believe Roger then everyone else is liar.

Chip R
05-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Roger has his own credibility problems ... which is really the issue. He's out denying the affairs/womanizing and the babes aren't. To believe Roger then everyone else is liar.

More than likely eventually he'll own up to them. Clemens will probably do that to "build his credibility". He'll admit to being the second shooter on the grassy knoll before he admits to taking HGH.

flyer85
05-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Clemens will probably do that to "build his credibility". all that does is prove that he is willing to lie to suit his purposes. While this may not hurt Roger's court case it is killing him in the court of public opinion ... which is really what the entire episode has been about.

Chip R
05-02-2008, 02:00 PM
all that does is prove that he is willing to lie to suit his purposes. While this may not hurt Roger's court case it is killing him in the court of public opinion ... which is really what the entire episode has been about.

Again, drawing on Daugherty's parallel with Rose, how long did it take Rose to admit he gambled on baseball? He only admitted it because he was pimping a book and thought that admitting guilt would get him into the HOF. Clemens is going to deny, deny, deny even if he's convicted of perjury because he thinks that admitting he took HGH is going to be automatic denial to the HOF. There's always going to be some true believers out there.

WMR
05-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I want another sanctimonious tirade from Rusty Hardin about all of this. :lol:

Highlifeman21
05-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I want another sanctimonious tirade from Rusty Hardin about all of this. :lol:

I just wanna see a presser with The Rocket at a podium, and his wife using both hands to hold some sort of flower, like the yellow flower she held while being visible over his right shoulder during his party on Capitol Hill.

Johnny Footstool
05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Again, drawing on Daugherty's parallel with Rose, how long did it take Rose to admit he gambled on baseball? He only admitted it because he was pimping a book and thought that admitting guilt would get him into the HOF.

To be fair, Rose endured years and years of sports journalists, broadcasters, and fans saying, "Gosh, Pete, if you would just admit you did it, we could forgive you and move on." Then when Pete finally did admit it, most of those people did a complete 180.

Chip R
05-02-2008, 07:17 PM
To be fair, Rose endured years and years of sports journalists, broadcasters, and fans saying, "Gosh, Pete, if you would just admit you did it, we could forgive you and move on." Then when Pete finally did admit it, most of those people did a complete 180.

You're exactly right. And I'm sure Pete got a lot of advice from people he respected to just admit it back in 1989 just like I'm sure Clemens is getting advice to come clean now. But, just like Pete, he won't come clean.

Sea Ray
05-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Pete waited way too long to come clean and he did it in the most underhanded way. Pete's handling of his situation is textbook as to how not to do it from start to finish. The amazing thing here is Roger is following Pete's self destructive playbook line by line.

I disagree about the Hall of Fame where Roger's concerned. I don't think his Hall admission was ever in Jeopardy. Only is he drags this further will he damage his HOF future

Always Red
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
The amazing thing here is Roger is following Pete's self destructive playbook line by line.

IMO, this is exactly correct.

And even more amazing than that, is that Rusty Hardin (Clemens Lawyer) has allowed this to happen. Either that, or he completely believed everything Roger had to say, and Roger sold him a pack of lies. IIRC, Pete Rose had the same effect on many lawyers who tried to help him through the years.

Unassisted
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080505/SPORTS01/805050392/-1/SPORTS

Clemens apologizes to family, fans

The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Roger Clemens apologized today for unspecified mistakes in his personal life but denied having an affair with a 15-year-old.

The Daily News reported last week Clemens had a decade-long relationship with country star Mindy McCready that began when she was 15 and an aspiring singer. The newspaper also linked Clemens to former Manhattan bartender Angela Moyer and Paulette Dean Daly, a former wife of champion golfer John Daly.

"Even though these articles contain many false accusations and mistakes, I need to say that I have made mistakes in my personal life for which I am sorry," Clemens said in a statement issued by spokesman Patrick Dorton. "I have apologized to my family and apologize to my fans. Like everyone, I have flaws. I have sometimes made choices which have not been right."

The apology was first reported by the Houston Chronicle.

Brian McNamee, Clemens' former trainer, accused him in December's Mitchell Report of using performance-enhancing drugs in 1998, 2000 and 2001, before players and owners agreed to ban them from baseball.

Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner and 354-game winner, has repeatedly denied using steroids and Human Growth Hormone and filed a defamation suit against Brian McNamee.

"I believe my personal life has nothing to do with the accusations of steroid and HGH use," Clemens said. "I have already made clear that I did not use them. Now I have been accused of having an improper relationship with a 15-year old girl. Nothing could be further from the truth. This relationship has been twisted and distorted far beyond reality. It is just one of many, many accusations that are utterly false.

"I realize that many people want me to simply confess and apologize for the conduct that I have been accused of, but I cannot confess to, nor apologize for, things I did not do. I have apologized to my family for my mistakes, and having offered this apology to the public, I would ask that you let me and my family deal with these matters in private."

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said Friday he will talk with his client about whether to proceed with the defamation suit following a wave of unpleasant publicity.

"He's getting pummeled," Hardin said then. "I've never seen somebody get beat up like this. In some ways, I think we're on uncharted ground."

The decision on whether to drop the suit rests with Clemens.

"That's always a decision the client has to make," Hardin said. "That's not the lawyer's decision."

flyer85
05-05-2008, 09:31 PM
all credibility is gone at this point ... what we do know is that statements will be self-serving.

RFS62
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Clemens will drop the defamation suit very soon. He'll spin it as he's sparing his beleaguered family any more pain in the public eye. It's the perfect irony. He's thrown his wife under the bus already, and now he'll use her as a scapegoat as he tries to play himself as the martyr.

VR
05-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Clemens will drop the defamation suit very soon. He'll spin it as he's sparing his beleaguered family any more pain in the public eye. It's the perfect irony. He's thrown his wife under the bus already, and now he'll use her as a scapegoat as he tries to play himself as the martyr.

Every sees it except Roger. It is very sad.

Much like Pete......say it bold and convincingly enough out loud and pretty soon you are convinced your telling the truth.

Sea Ray
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
This sounds so much like Pete it's eery:

"I realize that many people want me to simply confess and apologize for the conduct that I have been accused of, but I cannot confess to, nor apologize for, things I did not do. I have apologized to my family for my mistakes, and having offered this apology to the public, I would ask that you let me and my family deal with these matters in private."

I love how these famous people get up in front of the microphone and give their heart felt apology but don't tell us what they're apologizing for. That's as empty as it gets. NY Gov Spitzer was the last guy I can think of that did one these apology things but didn't say what exactly he was apologizing for. Great company you're in Roger...

Sure Roger will drop the defamation suit but he's still got a boatload of problems with the feds. He's not going away from our sports headlines

Yachtzee
05-05-2008, 11:38 PM

I love how these famous people get up in front of the microphone and give their heart felt apology but don't tell us what they're apologizing for. That's as empty as it gets. NY Gov Spitzer was the last guy I can think of that did one these apology things but didn't say what exactly he was apologizing for. Great company you're in Roger...

Sure Roger will drop the defamation suit but he's still got a boatload of problems with the feds. He's not going away from our sports headlines

Sounds like Giambi's apology for using steroids. I think another parallel with Clemens and Pete Rose is that Pete, whenever he spoke about the issue, tried to paint his accusers in the worst possible light. Guys like Janszen and Ron Peters were "scum." To Pete, the only thing he was guilty of was picking bad friends. And of course John Dowd and Fay Vincent were open season too. Roger has done the same, trying to destroy McNamee, going so far as to personally lobby members of Congress and getting some of them to publicly lambaste McNamee in publicly telecast committee meetings. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse for Roger as long as he has that defamation suit out there. Never hold yourself out to be a paragon of virtue unless you are, in fact, a paragon of virtue.

vaticanplum
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM

To be fair, a lot of that has to do with legal issues. If there's pending legal action or even the chance of it, their hands are pretty tied on what they can say. And if Clemens had sex with a minor there's certainly a possibility of legal action.

WebScorpion
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
To be fair, a lot of that has to do with legal issues. If there's pending legal action or even the chance of it, their hands are pretty tied on what they can say. And if Clemens had sex with a minor there's certainly a possibility of legal action.

Well, there is that and the probability that Mr. Clemens has lived his entire life in 'RocketLand', where everyone bows down to the superior life-force that is 'The Rocket', and the 'The Rocket' can do as he pleases without regard to the rights or feelings of the other humans who are obviously beneath 'The Rocket' in value. Unfortunately, he's about to find out 'RocketLand' only exists in his own bloated gourd. :thumbdown

Sea Ray
05-06-2008, 06:03 PM

I'm sure legal issues had a lot to do with it but legal issues didn't keep him from publically denying the affair with the country singer the day the story broke only to have her come out and say there's nothing in the story she could refute. If he'd consistently said he can't comment then that's fine. If, for legal reasons, he can't comment then for legal reasons don't waste my time with your empty apologies.