PDA

View Full Version : Hatteburg to Mets?

tommycash
04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
I just read on MLBtraderumors.com that Delgado could be released from the Mets and then they would be pursuing Hatte. What are your thoughts? Who could we get? Would you trade him just for trades sake?

OesterPoster
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
He had 2 HRs yesterday. I don't think they're dropping Delgado just yet, especially when he appears to be exiting his season opening slump.

tommycash
04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
We will have to wait and see if he fully comes out of it. Here are two links that suggest he will be released if things don't get better.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04262008/sports/mets/delgado_on_his_way_out_at_first_108197.htm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/04/olneys-latest-n.html
This one has a link to Buster Olney's espninsider.com blog which you cannot see unless you subscribe. mlbtraderumors.com has a summary of his blog, which is the link I provided.

Newman4
04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Enquirer says this morning that Hatteberg would welcome a trade:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/SPT04/804280343/1071/SPT

Hey Meat
04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Story on MLBTR said that prospects of that trade were highly unlikely given the fact that Delgado had a multi home run game this weekend. Article did mention however that Richie Sexson does not hit righties well for Seattle and that might a possible to sent Hattie there, for who I do not know.

I(heart)Freel
04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I think you trade him just for the roster flexibility.

Javy goes back to being your LH pinch on the bench.

Lets you bring up who you need most or lets you bring Hopper back when he's ready. (Although I would argue against that while Freel and CorPat are on the team.)

Might be nice to see some of Janish?

Orodle
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I would rather keep onto Hatteberg. Your not going to get anything great for him in return with his age and lack of power at the 1B position. You could possibly get a decent reliever but probably nothing different from what we already have or could call up. I like the idea of having him to pinch hit, give Votto a day off, or DH in interleague games (if its not Dunn). And I'm not quite sure you put all your chips on Votto yet. I'm very impressed with him but we arnt even 30 games into the young season.

mlbfan30
04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
...Hatteberg hit .310 last year. But his style is not suited for pinch-hitting. Manager Dusty Baker stressed to him that the only pitch a pinch-hitter gets to hit is oft times the first one. Hatteberg rarely swings at first pitches.

“That flies in the face of the way I hit,” he said. “This is my 13th year in the major leagues. I have a theory behind how I like to hit. I like to see a lot of pitches. Pinch-hitting isn’t really conducive to that. I change my approach a little bit.”

I really hate Dusty constently telling players to swing early. It's definitely going to have a very very negative long-term impact on some of the players. You don't change a hitters approach, you strengthen their strengths and limit the weakness. Not tell someone to do something that totally exposes a weakness.