PDA

View Full Version : Did I just miss this...

coachw513
04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Or has nonone posted the following comment by Keith Law in his ML blog last week:

And finally, Jocketty has to confront the question of the manager. The Reds chose Dusty Baker, the wrong man for their personnel, three months before Jocketty joined the organization, but the new GM inherits a famous manager with a good reputation in traditional baseball circles who is less than a month into a three-year contract. Baker has already displayed his inability to get the most out of his roster, including allowing Corey Patterson to bat leadoff despite Patterson's long history of bad on-base percentages, and the Reds will soon have three promising young arms in their rotation for Baker to overwork, as he did with all of his young arms in Chicago. Firing a popular manager with two-plus years left on his contract is never easy, but it will be the right move for the franchise, especially with Cueto, Volquez and Bailey all penciled into the 2009 rotation.

That's a pretty outrageous comment this early in the Baker-regime, even for someone who was/is greatly worried about Dusty's previous pitcher usage...

Anyone else shake their head at this one??

Cyclone792
04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Dusty isn't going anywhere no matter what he does. He can lock the pitching arms of each of Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Arroyo, and Bailey in arm bars and crank'em all until bone shows and not even that could cost Dusty his job.

As much as I hate to say, I've resigned to having to live with Dusty while hoping he doesn't do anything monumentally stupid. That'll be a small victory itself.

redsmetz
04-28-2008, 10:04 AM
And Dusty has not shown any propensity to taxing the young arms. Everything I've seen, he's been very smart about the workload he's place on both Cueto and Volquez. It's just more of the same BS that these talking heads like to rattle on about.

westofyou
04-28-2008, 10:11 AM
The constant shouting of Dusty is stupid is a borderline moronic and is chicken little generated press fodder created under the weight of a deadline.

Yawn...

edabbs44
04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
And Dusty has not shown any propensity to taxing the young arms. Everything I've seen, he's been very smart about the workload he's place on both Cueto and Volquez. It's just more of the same BS that these talking heads like to rattle on about.

The FO had to have addressed this during the interview process.

Tommyjohn25
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM

Agreed.

The constant shouting of Dusty is stupid is a borderline moronic and is chicken little generated press fodder created under the weight of a deadline.

Yawn...

This.

Tommyjohn25
04-28-2008, 10:14 AM

They may have Edabbs, all that i care about id that it's not happening now. It is frustrating that the local and national media can't seem to grasp that.

redsmetz
04-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Despite this team's poor start, I have been very impressed with Dusty Baker thus far. He has struck me as an astute observer of his team, particularly this pitching staff. There have been few losses where I felt like Dusty had a hand in the loss. The only one I can think of, and it was more a situation of the roster's circumstances, is when he only had Juan Castro and, I think, Javier Valentin, to pinch hit. I know the line-ups have bothered folks and I understand that, but I think our largest problem has been a collective funk of some of our best players. But the pitching overall has been quite good, with few exceptions.

backbencher
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Baseball Prospectus writers and alums can be just as closed-minded and petty as those they criticize, only on different subjects.

Free Erubiel Durazo!

Unassisted
04-28-2008, 10:29 AM
If firing a respected GM in April created a franchise that FO personnel in other cities root against, firing a high-profile manager who is well-liked by other managers 1 month into the first season of a 3-year contract would make the Reds radioactive in the eyes of other high-profile managers. It ain't happening.

lollipopcurve
04-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Keith Law calling for Dusty's head after less than a month of play....... Laugh at him.

redsmetz
04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Interestingly, it was Jockety's hiring of Tony LaRussa (and also Dave Duncan) which set the Cardinals on their course. While they won the Division in only his second year, that was followed by three seasons of 3rd & 4th place finishes before they embarked on their long record of post-season appearances. But there are St. Louis fans who have grown disenchanted with Jockety, LaRussa and Duncan - my in-laws among them. Bob C. may be surprised how difficult it takes to turn a moribund franchise around. But Jockety is right that he's taken the reins of an organization in better shape than the Cardinals circa 1994/95.

Kc61
04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Despite some batting orders that fans don't agree with, Dusty and Jocketty are the right guys for this team.

At this point, the team needs to make certain fundamental decisions about certain key players. Those decisions will impact the direction of the team for years to come. Dunn and Griffey are the main ones. Probably also whether to keep or trade some key minor leaguers, Bailey most notably.

Reds need guys who will not just give the owner what he wants, guys who aren't afraid of what certain players think, guy who will not just do the popular thing.

Whatever the case with any past managers or GMs, I think Dusty and Jocketty will make objective decisions based on long tenures in baseball and that this team will be a winner quite soon.

KronoRed
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Dusty is popular?

TRF
04-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Did Dusty abuse arms in his previous manager jobs? yes.

But here is what I THINK happened to Dusty. He took a year off, worked at ESPN, and was surrounded by opinions about pitcher abuse. He got to hear from Tim Kurkjian, Peter Gammons, Jason Stark et al. And I think a lot of that, especially concerning young pitchers sunk in a bit.

And here is the other thing. I don't think Dusty is a stupid man. I think he can learn from his past.

Matt700wlw
04-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Seeing as it's a Ketih Law article, that may be why it was ignored.

Mario-Rijo
04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Seeing as it's a Ketih Law article, that may be why it was ignored.

:KoolAid: Hammer meets nailhead!

mth123
04-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Baseball Prospectus writers and alums can be just as closed-minded and petty as those they criticize, only on different subjects.

Free Erubiel Durazo!

:clap::clap::clap:

MartyFan
04-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Dusty is not going anywhere...Dusty is here for the entire term of his contract because Dusty is Mr. C's guy.

Special K would have kept Mack in as skipper instead of seeing him go to the Yankees...and I think that would have been a good move...but, what's done is done.

fearofpopvol1
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm pretty sure BCast wanted Dusty, not Wayne anyway.

Edit: After reading Krivsky's last word, I misunderstood.

WVRedsFan
04-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Dusty is not going anywhere...Dusty is here for the entire term of his contract because Dusty is Mr. C's guy.

Special K would have kept Mack in as skipper instead of seeing him go to the Yankees...and I think that would have been a good move...but, what's done is done.

Funny. I distinctly remember Wayne, in one of his farewell interviews somewhere, saying that he was certain Dusty Baker was the man for the job.

Who knows who Krivsky would have picked (maybe he did pick Dusty), but you have to admit he's a rung better than Boone, Miley, and Narron. He's probably a bit better than Mackanin, but no one would believe that.

And I'm no Dusty fan.