PDA

View Full Version : Joe's brother, Robert Nuxhall has died

Unassisted
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/NEWS0104/804280326/1060/NEWS01

Robert Nuxhall was sports star in own right
Played in Reds' farm system
BY MIKE MCQUEARY

HAMILTON - Robert Nuxhall, a 2006 inductee of the Butler County Sports Hall of Fame, died from a seizure at his home Friday. He was 76.

He was a younger brother of the late Cincinnati Reds pitcher and commentator Joe Nuxhall, who died in November.

"Bob always wanted to be like Joe growing up," Robert's wife, Patricia Nuxhall, said. "They were all good (at sports) though."

Born on Sept. 29, 1931, in Hamilton, Robert was the third of four brothers. He went to Madison grade school, Wilson Junior High and Hamilton High School, where he won awards in boxing and played a variety of sports, including basketball, football and baseball.

While working at McGregor's Ice Cream Store in Hamilton during high school, he found his favorite customer.

"He used to slip my drinks or ice cream or something to me. He'd never let me pay for them," Patricia said. They were married on April 7, 1951, in Zion Lutheran Church, Hamilton.

After a briefly attending Cedarville College, Mr. Nuxhall served in the Navy. He signed up for the special services, and played basketball and baseball there for two years.

In 1952, Mr. Nuxhall, a right-handed pitcher, signed a contract with the Cincinnati Reds to play in the farm system. For the next five years he and his wife traveled across the country each season.

"We had a lot of fun traveling, it was great. We'd just pack up the station wagon and drive off to where he was going to play," Patricia Nuxhall said.
During the winter, Mr. Nuxhall and his wife would return to his lifelong home in Hamilton. After finishing his career with the Reds, he briefly worked at Champion Paper Co. before an acquaintance showed him how to upholster. He quickly learned the trade and discussed the idea of starting a business with Patricia, a skilled seamstress.

For the next 40 years Nuxhall Upholstering grew by word of mouth and they were hired around the area by local businesses. They did "everything and anything," his wife said, from bar rails to office furniture for businesses, a bank in Dayton and work at Mercy Hospital in Hamilton.

"If you went to a bar in Hamilton and it had padding, he was probably responsible," Robert's nephew Kim Nuxhall said.

While Joe was known for his outgoing personality, Robert was a quiet family man, said NaDeen Hartleb, a friend of the family.

"(Robert) was a quiet person, very nice and always friendly. He liked to talk about sports."

Patricia Nuxhall said her husband was more of a "homebody," enjoyed watching the television show "Wheel of Fortune" regularly and loved his favorite sports teams. He remained a Reds fan his entire life and regularly listened to Joe announce.

Every Saturday morning the couple would go to Ohio Lunch, a restaurant in Hamilton, and the waitress would know exactly what they wanted without asking.

"Two eggs over medium, potatoes and sausage. She would ask, 'Links or patties?' And he always said, 'Surprise me,'" Patricia said, laughing.
His parents, Orville and Naomi (Gailey) Nuxhall; sister, Evelyn Nuxhall; and brother, Joe Nuxhall; died previously.

Besides his wife Patricia, survivors include daughters, Debbie Nagel, Shauna Nuxhall, Lori Cox and Erin Robinson; brothers, Gene and Don Nuxhall; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Private service will be at Zettler Funeral Home, Hamilton. Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery, Hamilton. Condolences can be sent at www.zettlerfunerallhome.com (http://www.zettlerfunerallhome.com/).

Memorials: Joe Nuxhall Hope Project, c/o Fairfield Community Foundation, 5350 Pleasant Ave., Fairfield, OH 45014.

HeatherC1212
04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Awww, what a sad time for the Nuxhall family. :(

cumberlandreds
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
My condolences to the Nuxhall family. I'm sure Robert will be missed as much as Joe is within the Nuxhall family.

goreds2
04-28-2008, 11:48 PM
RIP,

It looks like Bob lived a good life like Joe did.