PDA

View Full Version : Why so grumpy, Brandon?

Chip R
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Not talking to the media? Be careful, Brandon, or you're going to lose your golden boy status awful quick.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/SPT04/804280364/1071/SPT

Big bats back Volquez

Hittin' on the dock of the bay
BY JOHN FAY

SAN FRANCISCO - When the sixth run crossed the plate in the first inning, the Reds were pretty confident they were going to be heading to St. Louis happy.

Edinson Volquez was pitching. Volquez hadn't given up more than one run in any of his four starts for the Reds.

He stayed true to form - seven innings, one run on five hits. The Reds kept hitting. And they closed the series with a 10-1 rout of the San Francisco Giants on a sunny, crisp day by the bay.

It was the baseball equivalent to a walk in the park for a team that desperately needed one. Eight quick runs off struggling left-hander Barry Zito will do that.

"Especially with a guy like Volquez pitching," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "We hadn't jumped anyone early like that. Zito helped us some. You've got to take advantage of that.

"My little speed lineup got a lot of hits and scored a lot of runs."

The Reds have won back-to-back games for the first time in 16 days.

"It sure feels good to see some guys swinging the bats well," Baker said.

"This was a good day. A lot of guys hit. We stole some bases."

The Reds are off to St. Louis with a bit - just a bit - of momentum and confidence. They've played horribly against the National League Central so far - four wins in 14 games.

"St. Louis is always tough, especially in St. Louis," Baker said. "It always pays to feel good about yourself and how your team's going."

Unfortunately for the Reds, Volquez is not pitching in St. Louis.

He struck out a career-high 10 and walked three. He is 4-0 with a 1.23 ERA.

"I'm happy," he said. "When you're 4-0, you've got to be happy."

Volquez, a 24-year-old right-hander, had a career record of 3-11 and a 7.20 ERA in parts of three seasons with the Texas Rangers before the Reds acquired him in a December trade for Josh Hamilton.

A lot of people wondered at the time why the Reds would trade an everyday player like Hamilton for a pitcher like Volquez.

Edwin Encarnacion wasn't one of them. He knew Volquez from his days in the Texas organization and winter ball in the Dominican.

"I knew he could be the man," Encarnacion said. "His stuff is nasty."

Still, Volquez was happy for the six runs in the first.

"I was excited," he said. "I don't even throw one pitch in the game and I saw the board and I've got six runs."

Volquez worked a 1-2-3 first, throwing 10 pitches, eight strikes.

"He was pretty dominant," catcher Paul Bako said. "That's what we needed."

The Reds would tag Zito for eight runs in three innings.

They scored 10 runs for the second straight game. Brandon Phillips was the hitting star. He went 3-for-5 with two home runs and three RBI (and refused to talk to the media afterward). Encarnacion and Ryan Freel each had two hits.

Bako gets a lot of credit for working with Volquez, but he's hitting .328 and tied for the NL lead with three triples.

Bako laughed when told of his triples lead.

"I'm just happy to be playing," he said. "But thanks for the knowledge."
Volquez got in a little bit of trouble in the second, walking two with two outs. The Giants scored their run in the third.

But Volquez would have never been in danger if he were working with a three-run lead instead of eight-run lead.

"He's one of the few pitchers around who can strike himself out of trouble," Baker said. "When you can do that, it's a big plus."

Volquez went seven innings, equaling a career-high, which he set in his last start.

"It's hard to argue with his results today," Bako said. "But it probably wasn't the best I've seen him. If he can repeat his delivery, he's going to be great all year."

Volquez has pitched 291/3 innings, allowed 20 hits, 16 walks and 33 strikeouts. He hasn't allowed a home run, despite making two starts in Great American Ball Park.

"You can understand now why he's 4-0," Baker said.

Volquez is as confident in his team as it is in him.

"This team is going to win a lot of games," Volquez said. "We've got to do everything together, the hitting, the pitching. (Aaron) Harang threw a pretty good game, but we don't get too many runs."

"We've got a lot of good offensive players. They're going to hit."

OnBaseMachine
04-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Now a smidgen of bad stuff. Second baseman Brandon Phillips has his nose out of joint. After getting three hits (two homers) Sunday, he refused to talk to any media, telling them, “Just get out of my space and leave me alone. I don’t feel like talking. Nobody talks to me when I’m going bad. They just write crap. When I’m going good, everybody wants to talk to me. So just leave me alone.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Falls City Beer
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Get him an Ocho Cinco jersey, stat.

smith288
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Sounds like we got Phillips from his Cleveland days.

SMcGavin
04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
This doesn't bother me unless he gives the same attitude to his teammates. What Phillips says about the media, while impolite, is true. Now if he starts trying to hit every pitch out of the park to "show the media they are wrong", that's a problem.

Falls City Beer
04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
This doesn't bother me unless he gives the same attitude to his teammates. What Phillips says about the media, while impolite, is true. Now if he starts trying to hit every pitch out of the park to "show the media they are wrong", that's a problem.

How is that a bad thing that the media talk to the performers and ignore the goats? People want to read about the winners.

Brandon owes it to the Reds to act like a professional; I imagine that part of the contract Brandon signed stipulated his conduct in some way.

Caveat Emperor
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Brandon owes it to the Reds to act like a professional; I imagine that part of the contract Brandon signed stipulated his conduct in some way.

And I'd be shocked if someone older and more wiser to the ways of the world didn't strongly suggest that on the plane ride to St. Louis.

SMcGavin
04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
How is that a bad thing that the media talk to the performers and ignore the goats?

Didn't say it was bad, I said it was true. Phillips is a professional ballplayer with a big ego, sure you'd like him to be more diplomatic, but he apparently took it personally that nobody from the media had been talking to him for a while. It's not just him, how often do you hear the "nobody respected us" line from professional athletes? Somebody from the Reds will tell him to cool it, and he will. I think it's pretty much a non-issue.

Joseph
04-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Hattebergs unhappy with playing time, Phillips is unhappy with the media.....its about time there was some emotion out of this team.

Let's hope it doesn't explode though and kill whatever is left of the seasons hopes.

WMR
04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Sounds to me like Phillips could learn a thing or two from David Weathers.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
This doesn't really bother me. If he continues it, yes. This is the 1st time I've read anything like this about Brandon.

People forget that athletes are humans being too. Nobody knows what has gone on in Phillips' life outside of his play on the field. It wasn't an encouraging comment he made, but not that big of a deal. At least not at this point.

cumberlandreds
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
As long as he produces on the field I could care less if he talks to the media. But I would advise him to be at least cordial to them or he will see things only go downhill in what they say about him.

jojo
04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Expecting a cheery quote from a slumping player who plays for a team that is doing poorly is a little like expecting a starving tiger to eat a banana out of your hand. :D

Jpup
04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
big deal. I hope he doesn't talk for a month.

LoganBuck
04-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Brandon Phillips reads Redszone.

TOBTTReds
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't understand why this is an issue. He refused to talk to the media one day in three seasons here. He has done EVERYTHING he has been asked to do in Cincy. Signs more autographs than anyone on the team, smiles for every picture, and is always in a good mood.

So he cracks 2 HR's and doesn't want to talk to the media bc they think they have all the answers. Big deal. This should be a non issue.

lollipopcurve
04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
If Phillips needs a lesson in how to co-exist with the beat writers, I'm sure Baker will take of it. But as we know, in following Reds baseball everyone is a victim, from Marty Brennaman to the little people in radioland. Maybe this extends to the beat writers now, too?

OnBaseMachine
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't understand why this is an issue. He refused to talk to the media one day in three seasons here. He has done EVERYTHING he has been asked to do in Cincy. Signs more autographs than anyone on the team, smiles for every picture, and is always in a good mood.

So he cracks 2 HR's and doesn't want to talk to the media bc they think they have all the answers. Big deal. This should be a non issue.

Yeah I don't view it as a big deal either. I've already read once or twice this year where Griffey has refused to talk to the media after a game.

mbgrayson
04-28-2008, 02:16 PM

I agree with this 110%. Brandon really is one of the good guys, as far as I am concerned....

Chip R
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah I don't view it as a big deal either. I've already read once or twice this year where Griffey has refused to talk to the media after a game.

But that's in character for Jr. As I said, Brandon's the golden boy. Always happy and smiling and playing great and happy to be here. Now, after starting off the season slow, he's all ticked off because the media isn't talking to him. Regardless of we whether we'd like to admit it or not, we are influenced by what the media writes about someone. If the media starts writing about how sullen Brandon is and if his play doesn't improve, the fans are going to start thinking he's a malcontent.

Falls City Beer
04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
But that's in character for Jr. As I said, Brandon's the golden boy. Always happy and smiling and playing great and happy to be here. Now, after starting off the season slow, he's all ticked off because the media isn't talking to him. Regardless of we whether we'd like to admit it or not, we are influenced by what the media writes about someone. If the media starts writing about how sullen Brandon is and if his play doesn't improve, the fans are going to start thinking he's a malcontent.

Well, and what else is not being said is that Jr has 600 dingers; membership has its privileges.

Dude, you're Brandon Phillips; get over yourself.

bucksfan2
04-28-2008, 02:46 PM
The media's sense of entitlement has always confused me. Good for Phillips for having a great game. Fay seemed to be sour over Phillips not talking to him and decided that he would let everyone who reads the paper know that Phillips didn't want to talk to him. These beat writers, especially Fay and Hal, really seem to be sour over the role of a beat writer in today's baseball. If Brandon Phillips doesn't want to talk to you, get over it, you are a grown man.

TOBTTReds
04-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Dude, you're John Fay; get over yourself.

Fixed it.

Falls City Beer
04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Fixed it.

Except this has nothing to do with Fay--he reported it (parenthetically even!), he didn't do it.

Here's an idea: you want the press not to report that you didn't want to talk to the press? Talk to the press, like a professional.

Folks are right that this isn't a big deal. It really isn't a big deal, but let's not make this the fault of someone not involved so as to protect a young player acting like a tool.

Always Red
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Except this has nothing to do with Fay--he reported it (parenthetically even!), he didn't do it.

Here's an idea: you want the press not to report that you didn't want to talk to the press? Talk to the press, like a professional.

Folks are right that this isn't a big deal. It really isn't a big deal, but let's not make this the fault of someone not involved so as to protect a young player acting like a tool.

FWIW, this is not the first time this has happened. According to C Trent (whom I trust very much in print or on blog form), BP got himself a little bent out of shape last year when Josh Hamilton was getting so much press in the beginning of the year, and Brandon (who was the golden child from 2006) was getting less press than he was accustomed to.

I'm looking for a link from the old Post blog site, but can't seem to find one right now. I don't think it's a big deal, everyone has days when they are not in a mood to talk.

I'm not ready to put #85 on him just yet!

Matt700wlw
04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
As long as he doesn't turn into Chad, if he doesn't want to talk, then just perform. I'm cool with that.

jojo
04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
As long as he doesn't turn into Chad, if he doesn't want to talk, then just perform. I'm cool with that.

I say as long as he doesn't come out with his own brand of perfume...

I can tolerate a lot when it comes to players being surly with the media.....

Chip R
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
The media's sense of entitlement has always confused me. Good for Phillips for having a great game. Fay seemed to be sour over Phillips not talking to him and decided that he would let everyone who reads the paper know that Phillips didn't want to talk to him. These beat writers, especially Fay and Hal, really seem to be sour over the role of a beat writer in today's baseball. If Brandon Phillips doesn't want to talk to you, get over it, you are a grown man.

In a perfect world you'd be right. But these guys depend on the players to write their stories and, although it's childish, they are going to give the best treatment to guys who are good to them and vice versa. Now if the players don't want to play that game, that's fine. But then they shouldn't expect favorable treatment from the media. Ted Williams feuded with the BOS writers for years and would have won an MVP one year if a BOS writer hadn't left him off his ballot.

Hopefully Brandon is just acting like this just to the media and not to everyone in general.

membengal
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Windmills.

Tilting.

Fay.

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Not the first time BP has had issues with the media. There were several times last year someone would want to talk to him after a game and he said things like 'go talk to Griffey or Hamilton, they are all you want to talk about anyways'. BP has a big ego and if its not getting stroked, he doesn't seem to take well to things.

SteelSD
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Not the first time BP has had issues with the media. There were several times last year someone would want to talk to him after a game and he said things like 'go talk to Griffey or Hamilton, they are all you want to talk about anyways'. BP has a big ego and if its not getting stroked, he doesn't seem to take well to things.

I agree. I like Phillips the ballplayer, but when he's performing poorly he doesn't want to be talked about. When he's performing well, it seems like he wants to be the only guy talked about...unless, of course, you talked about him while he was performing poorly. I don't think he's a true "Milo", but his comments about Hamilton last season were certainly too "Milo-ish" for my tastes.

Considering that Phillips isn't truly established at this point, it seems to me that someone needs to sit him down and have a "facts of life" talk with him. Certain players can get away with shunning the media. Brandon Phillips is not one of those guys yet. He's nowhere close to being one of those guys.

Hap
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Edwin Encarnacion knew Volquez from his days in the Texas organization.......

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to point out that this most likely is not at all true. Ed E was traded to the Reds from the Rangers in June 2001, and Ed Vo wasn't signed into the Rangers organization until October 2001.

OnBaseMachine
04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to point out that this most likely is not at all true. Ed E was traded to the Reds from the Rangers in June 2001, and Ed Vo wasn't signed into the Rangers organization until October 2001.

I noticed the same thing. Most likely Edwin knew Volquez from the Dominican leagues.

blumj
04-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Except, there's nothing remotely newsworthy about a ballplayer choosing not to speak to reporters on a particular day, it happens every day in every clubhouse in MLB. There's no story here unless the reporter chooses to make it one, which is exactly what the reporter is doing, telling his readers about something that is his problem, not theirs.

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Except, there's nothing remotely newsworthy about a ballplayer choosing not to speak to reporters on a particular day, it happens every day in every clubhouse in MLB. There's no story here unless the reporter chooses to make it one, which is exactly what the reporter is doing, telling his readers about something that is his problem, not theirs.

Except its not the first time, or even the second time BP has had something similar to say to the media. Its not a particular day thing, its a history of similar things with him.

blumj
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Except its not the first time, or even the second time BP has had something similar to say to the media. Its not a particular day thing, its a history of similar things with him.
It shouldn't matter. If he never speaks to the media, that would be a story. If he chooses to not speak with the media every other wednesday or when he has a hangnail or when there's a full moon, it's not a story. And to quote him saying he's not going to talk to them turns his relationship with those media members into a story, one that's really none of our business as fans. It's the media's problem, one that they really have no business trying to turn into the fans' problem.

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 08:19 PM
It shouldn't matter. If he never speaks to the media, that would be a story. If he chooses to not speak with the media every other wednesday or when he has a hangnail or when there's a full moon, it's not a story. And to quote him saying he's not going to talk to them turns his relationship with those media members into a story, one that's really none of our business as fans. It's the media's problem, one that they really have no business trying to turn into the fans' problem.

I don't think its a matter of not speaking to the media, but the reason he doesn't want to talk to the media.

GAC
04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Whoop-T-do. So smiley wasn't smiling yesterday.

He refused to talk to the media on this particular day, so that means he's Ocho Stinko or has a problem? If it turns into a consistent pattern then I'll worry about it. :lol:

Matt700wlw
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Was he terse?

SteelSD
04-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Except that Phillips didn't choose to just beg off a day for some random innocuous reason. He did it to punish the media because they have the audacity to talk and write about him when he's doing poorly.

The player/media relationship is symbiotic in nature and as the media is a conduit to the fans, the players need to be aware of how their treatment of the media might impact public opinion. When a player does what Phillips did, it isn't just a media issue. It's also a player issue and the media has every right to report what happened.

blumj
04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Except that Phillips didn't choose to just beg off a day for some random innocuous reason. He did it to punish the media because they have the audacity to talk and write about him when he's doing poorly.

The player/media relationship is symbiotic in nature and as the media is a conduit to the fans, the players need to be aware of how their treatment of the media might impact public opinion. When a player does what Phillips did, it isn't just a media issue. It's also a player issue and the media has every right to report what happened.
I just disagree. If the media doesn't like the way he's interacting with them, it's up to them to handle it privately. If management doesn't like it, it's up to them to handle it privately. I don't think the fans need to be informed unless it can be shown to have some kind of impact on the team or the team's play. I don't believe that athletes' interactions with media members are newsworthy unless there's some kind of extreme behavior involved. If he tells a reporter, "I'm not talking to you", those words and any reason he might give, no matter what it is, should be interpreted as a "no comment" and he should not be quoted.

dougdirt
04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I just disagree. If the media doesn't like the way he's interacting with them, it's up to them to handle it privately. If management doesn't like it, it's up to them to handle it privately. I don't think the fans need to be informed unless it can be shown to have some kind of impact on the team or the team's play. I don't believe that athletes' interactions with media members are newsworthy unless there's some kind of extreme behavior involved. If he tells a reporter, "I'm not talking to you", those words and any reason he might give, no matter what it is, should be interpreted as a "no comment" and he should not be quoted.
That is the point though, in the past he has been almost jealous of the attention other players have gotten that he wasn't getting. Things like that can cause team issues.

cincrazy
04-28-2008, 09:57 PM

People should know BP isn't talking to the media. Fay was covering his own butt. The guy just hit two home runs, don't you think people are going to wonder if there's not a quote from him somewhere in the story?

Sabo Fan
04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe he just had to get out of the clubhouse early and get to his barber so he could get that sweet mohawk he's sporting now.

I'm not too worried about BP and his 'tude right now. This club has bigger issues than its normally affable 2B not talking to the media after one game.

OnBaseMachine
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Brandon Phillips: the enigma

By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 02:07 PM

For those who are Brandon Phillips fans - and there should be legions because he is a multi-talented player who is a star headed for super stardom - this is not an anti-Phillips post.

I, too, am a Phillips admirer. The guy can play - hit, field, throw, run. What else is there?

His smile is dazzling and he loves the fans. He doesn’t smoke and he doesn’t drink and that, too, is admirable.

If only he would lighten up with the media - and I don’t just mean me. He is currently on an anti-media sulk. After hitting two home runs in San Francisco Sunday, he refused to go on the Foxsports/Ohio post-game show with Jeff Picaro. He refused to talk to the San Francisco writers after the game and he refused to talk to me, telling me, “Stay out of my space.”

That’s fine. I’ll stay out of his space. I don’t need his quotes to write about him. And I won’t hold it against him. Some will.

I did that once and still can’t forgive myself. In 1980, I had an NL Cy Young Award ballot. Steve Carlton was 24-9 with the Phillies. He would not talk to the media at all, ever. But he received every Cy Young vote but one.

Mine.

And I did it only because he yelled at me once when I tried to interview him. He did the same with other writers, but they still voted for him. I should have. I didn’t. I voted for LA’s Jerry Reuss, who was 18-6 with a 2.51 ERA. I used the lame excuse, “Well, I saw him beat the Reds four times that year.”

I wouldn’t do that now, but some might. Some out-of-town writers might hold it against Phillips if he is rude with them or refuses interviews. And he is good enough that there might come a time when he gets MVP votes.

The writers in Cleveland warned me. “Phillips is great as long as things are going good, but he’ll turn on you, just wait,” one said. The guy was right.

What probably started this was a column last week by my talented cohort, Dayton Daily News columnist Tom Archdeacon. I wasn’t there when this happened, but I’m told when Archdeacon asked about his slump, Phillips said, “I’m not in any slump.” And he was rude to Arch.

OK, so 5 for 36 isn’t a slump? If it isn’t, what is it? I saw Phillips react the same way when another writer referred to Brandon’s troubles as, “A slump.”

When I tried to talk to him Sunday, after he yelled to get out of his space, he said nobody talks to him when he is going bad (So it’s not a slum, just “going bad”), they just write crap about him. Then they want to talk when he is going good.

He should be happy about that. If nobody talks to him when he is going bad he doesn’t have to answer questions about slumps. Most players prefer to talk just when they are going good.

We won’t get into his habit of standing at home plate and watching home runs, as he did after his second home run Sunday in San Francisco. It infuriated the Giants - which I found a bit amusing, because their former teammate, Barry Bonds, was a master of the Home Run Stare.

But it is going to get Phillips and his teammates thrown at.

As I said, I do NOT hold this against Phillips. I’ll respect his space and leave him alone and I won’t withhold any votes for awards. But the guy can be so engaging when he wants to be engaging. And he can be one big turnoff.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

fearofpopvol1
04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Brandon Phillips: the enigma

By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 02:07 PM

For those who are Brandon Phillips fans - and there should be legions because he is a multi-talented player who is a star headed for super stardom - this is not an anti-Phillips post.

I, too, am a Phillips admirer. The guy can play - hit, field, throw, run. What else is there?

His smile is dazzling and he loves the fans. He doesn’t smoke and he doesn’t drink and that, too, is admirable.

If only he would lighten up with the media - and I don’t just mean me. He is currently on an anti-media sulk. After hitting two home runs in San Francisco Sunday, he refused to go on the Foxsports/Ohio post-game show with Jeff Picaro. He refused to talk to the San Francisco writers after the game and he refused to talk to me, telling me, “Stay out of my space.”

That’s fine. I’ll stay out of his space. I don’t need his quotes to write about him. And I won’t hold it against him. Some will.

I did that once and still can’t forgive myself. In 1980, I had an NL Cy Young Award ballot. Steve Carlton was 24-9 with the Phillies. He would not talk to the media at all, ever. But he received every Cy Young vote but one.

Mine.

And I did it only because he yelled at me once when I tried to interview him. He did the same with other writers, but they still voted for him. I should have. I didn’t. I voted for LA’s Jerry Reuss, who was 18-6 with a 2.51 ERA. I used the lame excuse, “Well, I saw him beat the Reds four times that year.”

I wouldn’t do that now, but some might. Some out-of-town writers might hold it against Phillips if he is rude with them or refuses interviews. And he is good enough that there might come a time when he gets MVP votes.

The writers in Cleveland warned me. “Phillips is great as long as things are going good, but he’ll turn on you, just wait,” one said. The guy was right.

What probably started this was a column last week by my talented cohort, Dayton Daily News columnist Tom Archdeacon. I wasn’t there when this happened, but I’m told when Archdeacon asked about his slump, Phillips said, “I’m not in any slump.” And he was rude to Arch.

OK, so 5 for 36 isn’t a slump? If it isn’t, what is it? I saw Phillips react the same way when another writer referred to Brandon’s troubles as, “A slump.”

When I tried to talk to him Sunday, after he yelled to get out of his space, he said nobody talks to him when he is going bad (So it’s not a slum, just “going bad”), they just write crap about him. Then they want to talk when he is going good.

He should be happy about that. If nobody talks to him when he is going bad he doesn’t have to answer questions about slumps. Most players prefer to talk just when they are going good.

We won’t get into his habit of standing at home plate and watching home runs, as he did after his second home run Sunday in San Francisco. It infuriated the Giants - which I found a bit amusing, because their former teammate, Barry Bonds, was a master of the Home Run Stare.

But it is going to get Phillips and his teammates thrown at.

As I said, I do NOT hold this against Phillips. I’ll respect his space and leave him alone and I won’t withhold any votes for awards. But the guy can be so engaging when he wants to be engaging. And he can be one big turnoff.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Hal isn't what he used to be, but this is obviously a way better way of looking at this situation, rather than Fay's take.

Always Red
04-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I like the new Hal.

Not the same as the old Hal.

15fan
04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Anyone know where Willie Greene is? I'd like to hear what he has to say about Hal's latest offering.

SteelSD
04-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Hal isn't what he used to be, but this is obviously a way better way of looking at this situation, rather than Fay's take.

That's interesting, because McCoy's article is way WAY snarky. Seriously, read it again. That's how a real journalist slaps a player upside the head for behaving badly. Here's the passage that resonates:

While it may have appeared that McCoy was giving Phillips a "pass", he did anything but that. That article was crafted really well, but it's nothing but an indictment of Phillips' behavior.

blumj
04-30-2008, 12:18 AM
That pretty much reads to me like:

1. Brandon Phillips acts like a big baby sometimes.
2. I'm not so petty that I'll hold it against him, just petty enough to expose him as a big baby to the whole world.

It's not at all unusual for pro athletes to have difficult personalities. It's part of media members' jobs to have to deal with it, and it's also a part of their jobs to remain objective in spite of it. It's every bit as petty to withhold an award vote from the athlete who deserves it because he isn't nice enough to you and doesn't make your job easier as it is for Phillips to withhold his comments from the media today because they didn't pay enough attention to him yesterday.

SteelSD
04-30-2008, 12:39 AM
That pretty much reads to me like:

1. Brandon Phillips acts like a big baby sometimes.
2. I'm not so petty that I'll hold it against him, just petty enough to expose him as a big baby to the whole world.

Actually, it reads as:

Brandon Phillips is petty enough to be a big baby when things are going well because he resents people writing or talking about him when things are going poorly. And to be clear, Phillips exposed himself.

Hal McCoy took a scalpel to Brandon Phillips while producing an article that the average Reds fan might not view as a complete indictment of Phillips' character. That was a skillful move by McCoy and it's the best work he's done in quite a while. Hopefully Phillips will receive the message and behave accordingly.

bucksfan2
04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I think it was a pretty classless story by Hal. Look the guy didn't want to talk to you, get over it. All you had to say was Phillips was unavailable for comment istead of playing the victim in this situation. Too often we the fans as well as the beat writers forget that athletes are human beings first. They have ego's, emotions, good days, and bad days.

The problem with beat writers is that they have the ability to turn the fans against a certain player. Their power is waining in this interent age but they still have a considerable amount of power. Instead of whining and complaining about Phillips not talking maybe they can approach him off the record and talk with him instead of going public and making Phillips look like a whiner.

RFS62
04-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I wonder if Fay and Hal think writing about this is going to improve their relationship with Brandon?

lollipopcurve
04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
I wonder if Fay and Hal think writing about this is going to improve their relationship with Brandon?

Great question.

blumj
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Actually, it reads as:

Brandon Phillips is petty enough to be a big baby when things are going well because he resents people writing or talking about him when things are going poorly. And to be clear, Phillips exposed himself.

Hal McCoy took a scalpel to Brandon Phillips while producing an article that the average Reds fan might not view as a complete indictment of Phillips' character. That was a skillful move by McCoy and it's the best work he's done in quite a while. Hopefully Phillips will receive the message and behave accordingly.
I happen to believe that journalists who take it upon themselves to use newspaper space to send messages and teach lessons to their subjects are a problem, not a solution.

Unassisted
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
I wonder if Fay and Hal think writing about this is going to improve their relationship with Brandon?Maybe all of those half-innings spent in the radio booth with Marty are causing them to share his view that it's OK to say whatever you want about Reds players as long as their age is less than 30?

SMcGavin
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
I happen to believe that journalists who take it upon themselves to use newspaper space to send messages and teach lessons to their subjects are a problem, not a solution.

I agree. I also didn't find much clever about McCoy's article, he basically just bashed BP's character and I think most Reds fans who read it will interpret it precisely that way.

membengal
04-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Thing is, I generally don't care which players are nice and which players are naughty when it comes to their relationships with media. It simply doesn't matter to me. The he-won't-talk-to-me stuff always feels petulant and whiny when I read it. A Jay Mariotti-ization of the process. And, to be clear, I don't like that kind of thing at all.

Falls City Beer
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Brandon Phillips is making his own story. Acting like an adult would make these stories go away. I promise.

WMR
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Brandon Phillips is making his own story. Acting like an adult would make these stories go away. I promise.

Exactly. Time to grow up and wear big boy pants, Brandon.

Ltlabner
04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
A young athealte acting petulant and moody? In the clubhouse no less?

Oh my word...when did this start? And here I thought ballplayers all were uber mature and spent their clubhouse time discussing geopolitical goings on. A complete non-story.

Funny how it's ignored that BPhil is always out signing autographs and spending time with the fans. But once he gets red ass with a reporter he's the anti-christ and needs to "grow up". Screw those pesky fans, you better treat the beat writers with the respect they deserve! Unless those beat writters don't write the stories we want or use proper grammer. Then they'll pay. We're baseball fans on an internet forum dammit! Don't you know who we are?

Equally funny that Hall is treated like a dottering old fool by most here...except when he takes a player to task and then he's a skillfull surgen throwing the sly smack down. Almost as if people take glee in a Reds player getting the beat-down.

Nah, that couldn't be it.

RedsManRick
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Again we have to go simplifying reality so it fits in our nice little boxes. BP is a fun loving guy who likes to joke around and smile a lot and who signs lots of autographs, but who doesn't like talking to the press when he's struggling.

Hal was completely within his rights as a member of the media to write that piece and it was written well (Hal has written some good this year). That said, we're the ones still talking about it. Do you care? Really? I don't.

Unless you feel this is some indictment of BP's character that is somehow going to manifest itself on the playing field, either directly or indirectly through the influence on the clubhouse, let's get over ourselves and talk actual baseball.

blumj
04-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Again we have to go simplifying reality so it fits in our nice little boxes. BP is a fun loving guy who likes to joke around and smile a lot and who signs lots of autographs, but who doesn't like talking to the press when he's struggling.

Hal was completely within his rights as a member of the media to write that piece and it was written well (Hal has written some good this year). That said, we're the ones still talking about it. Do you care? Really? I don't.

Unless you feel this is some indictment of BP's character that is somehow going to manifest itself on the playing field, either directly or indirectly through the influence on the clubhouse, let's get over ourselves and talk actual baseball.
If it's not about baseball and readers shouldn't care about it, what does make it a worthy topic for him to write about? Okay, it's within his rights and it's well-written, but I do happen to care that many of the people choosing what to write about are choosing to write about things that I don't care about and have nothing to do with the game. And I think that's a legitimate problem aside from any particular athlete acting any particular way toward media members. I believe it's a legitimate and widespread problem that media member consider how they're treated by their subjects to be as worthy a topic as the subjects themselves.

RedsManRick
04-30-2008, 12:29 PM
If it's not about baseball and readers shouldn't care about it, what does make it a worthy topic for him to write about?

Because Hal's job is to get people to buy newspapers and see online advertisements -- not to honestly communicate the sporting events of the day. Sports just so happens to be his medium.

Part of the "problem" with the media is that its consumers want it to be objective and focused, but they reward it with attention (and thus money) when they are sensational and shallow. Media is a capitalist enterprise. Until and unless we ignore the things we don't like about it, it's not going to change.

Falls City Beer
04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
What happens in the clubhouse is what a columnist is paid to cover. I know I'll be chided for being simplistic and placing reality into a "box," but Hal's job description calls for him to report on what happens with the Reds' players--both stats and personality/mood, what-have-you. What am I missing?

SteelSD
04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
What happens in the clubhouse is what a columnist is paid to cover. I know I'll be chided for being simplistic and placing reality into a "box," but Hal's job description calls for him to report on what happens with the Reds' players--both stats and personality/mood, what-have-you. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. No one seems to complain when an article is little more than a positive puff piece about team "chemistry".

bucksfan2
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Hal is a journalist. He is not a shock writer. He doesn't sell newspapers writing about controversy. Hal's duty is to inform the about the reds. His job is not to poke and single out a baseball player when he doesn't want to talk to the media. IMO this isn't a story that even needed mentioning. This isn't a guy who is a jerk. This isn't a guy who goes out of his way to aviod the fans. Rather this is a guy who has always played with a smile on the field. Has said he wants to retire a red. This is the same guy who before a game I saw playing catch with a kid in the stands. To Hal, Fay and the reds to the poor cincinnati beat writers, from time to time swallow you pride and don't let you ego get in the way. Not every player wants to talk to you when you demand that they do so.

On a side note I would much rather have a guy who is a jerk to the media than a guy who takes accountability like Stanton, Coffey, or Hatty as Hal mentioned in his article.

blumj
04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
IMO, there's a difference between what's happening in the clubhouse around him, and what happens TO HIM in the clubhouse. I'd prefer media members to be observers, not participants. But, if that's what sells, then we're the problem.

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2008, 02:48 PM
That's interesting, because McCoy's article is way WAY snarky. Seriously, read it again. That's how a real journalist slaps a player upside the head for behaving badly. Here's the passage that resonates:

While it may have appeared that McCoy was giving Phillips a "pass", he did anything but that. That article was crafted really well, but it's nothing but an indictment of Phillips' behavior.

I can see where you'd come to that conclusion, but it just didn't read that way to me and still doesn't. While it's not maybe the nicest article ever, I thought it was a better approach.

cincrazy
04-30-2008, 08:33 PM
IMO, there's a difference between what's happening in the clubhouse around him, and what happens TO HIM in the clubhouse. I'd prefer media members to be observers, not participants. But, if that's what sells, then we're the problem.

Brandon put Hal in a no-win situation. It had to be reported, or else the reading masses are left wondering "Why in the world is there no quote from Brandon in the story, after he hit just two homers?"

I was a sportswriter for months in college, and dealing with the moods of athletes is never fun. It's a fine line to walk between not making it personal, but also reporting that so and so isn't talking to the media.

It has to be reported, and I think Phillips should completely understand that. Hal is getting paid to do a job, and when athletes don't cooperate, it's his job to report that.

GAC
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm grumpy

http://teams.gemstone.umd.edu/classof2008/bingedrinking/grumpy.jpg

vaticanplum
04-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I will never understand why journalists have to talk to players after the game. I don't know that my understanding of a ballgame has ever been improved by one of those half-butted quotes. Maybe one from a pitcher every now and again. But usually they just want to talk about giving 110% and doing their best and looking forward to the postseason. Yawn. Managers are worth talking to, because they have decisions and strategy to explain. We already saw everything the players put into the game by watching it. i think the interviews of players should be on a volunteer basis. That way you avoid sour moods and media bias. If someone met me outside my workplace to discuss my performance when I left every day, I would slap him upside the head.

Always Red
04-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I will never understand why journalists have to talk to players after the game.

Because that is their job, that is what they are paid to do. If no one listened, if no one cared, if no one reported on the games, none of these guys would be famous or rich.

It is the reason I open up the sports page in the morning. Of course, I read it on the internet, but my wife still insists on buying a paper!

BP, like many others before (and after him to come, I am sure) bites the hand that feeds him. Hopefully he learns, and hopefully he was just grumpy and having a bad day.

Steve Carlton was really one of the best pitchers of all time. Because of his combative relationship with the press, he is rarely talked about these days. McCoy mentions how he hosed Carlton on post #45 of this thread. Shame on McCoy, but then again, Steve Carlton brought it on himself. A very few cliches uttered would have been enough to win him the Cy Young.

What goes around really does come around. The guys with the biggest egos really are not the sportswriters, but are the players. They are all humans, sportswriters and players. Jerks, in general (whether they are players or sportswriters), piss me off, too. :eek:

Throw the journalists a bone, and generally they remain happy; spit on them, and they will report it.