PDA

View Full Version : It has been a long time

OldXOhio
04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
since I've seen a team this inept on the basepaths.

BP runs into a sure run scoring single??? Who does this?

Sometimes, when it comes to the Reds, it's not just bad luck, it's dumb luck.

VR
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM

BP runs into a sure run scoring single??? Who does this?

Sometimes, when it comes to the Reds, it's not just bad luck, it's dumb luck.

So....I'm confused, can the media write that he screwed up, or do they need to just respect him for all the good things he does?

RedFanAlways1966
04-28-2008, 10:32 PM
No excuse for it... from a MLB player. I do not care how hard the ball was hit by Dunn.

OnBaseMachine
04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
He tried to jump over it instead of stopping. That cost the Reds two runs alone. Let's hope it doesn't cost them the game.

CrackerJack
04-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Not sure I'm blaming Phillips for that.

Falls City Beer
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Bako stealing?

pedro
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Am I reading the box score right?

Paul Bako tried to steal?

OnBaseMachine
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Am I reading the box score right?

Paul Bako tried to steal?

I think he missed a sign.

RFS62
Either Freel missed the hit and run sign, or Dusty has lost his mind sending Bako against Molina.

OldXOhio
Yes, Bako tried to steal.

But he got one helluva jump. Made it to where he was only out by 2 steps instead of 4.

pedro
04-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Either Freel missed the hit and run sign, or Dusty has lost his mind sending Bako against Molina.

I'd vote for the former.

Hard to catch signs when you're having a conversation with Farney.

RedFanAlways1966
04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Not sure I'm blaming Phillips for that.

Yes, you should. Bases loaded. You have to see where the ball is going. If it is a hit-and-run, then maybe I forgive him b/c he is running before the ball is hit (even then you have to pick up the ball). Just like a linedrive to avoid being doubled off. You cannot get hit by a batted ball and not be blamed. This is the big leagues. That is why you are more likely to see a balk than a runner hit by a batted ball. It should not happen in the bigs.

I won't hold it against BP. Things happen. But I will blame him for a dumb play.

RFS62
04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Brandon needs to get some baserunning instructions from this guy.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1133496/photo_14.jpg

RedFanAlways1966
04-28-2008, 10:59 PM
It has been a long time....

Since the REDS have won a game without hitting a HR. Coming into tonight they are 0-8 in games where they went homerless.

17 straight games lost without a home run (incl. 2007). Last win w/out a HR was August 30, 2007.

KronoRed
04-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Bako should only steal if the ball is thrown into the crowd

guttle11
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
It's been a long time since...

We're going (winning) streaking!!!

Edwin's glove saved the game tonight.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Also a long time since the Reds won the first game of a series ... or since Arroyo won a game :beerme:

VR
04-28-2008, 11:03 PM
It has been a long time....

Since the REDS have won a game without hitting a HR. Coming into tonight they are 0-8 in games where they went homerless.

17 straight games lost without a home run (incl. 2007). Last win w/out a HR was August 30, 2007.

crazy stuff

Reds Freak
04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I have a hard time blaming Brandon for bad base running. Yes, it does matter how hard the ball was hit. He couldn't do anything about it, no way he could have stopped in time. It was headed right for him, just one of those things...

Sea Ray
04-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Francisco is better than I thought he was and little did they know when he signed that he'd have Cueto and Volquez to tutor. About time a move "falls into place" for this team

RFS62
04-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure I can blame Brandon for that play either. He had already started moving towards second and the ball ate him up. His only option was go forward or stop, and it was on him to fast to matter, IMO.

guttle11
04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm just glad he didn't get hurt. Bad breaks/mistakes like that (hustling) can be excused provided they aren't recurring (Freel). He was moving the second he saw the ball wasn't in the air like he was supposed to do. Spider-Man would have had a tough time avoiding that one.

I feel bad for Dunn. A couple more RBI would have helped his mental game a ton. Talk about an at 'em ball. Hitting it hard is little consolation.

RedFanAlways1966
04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
I can see where you guys are coming from... but you have to see the ball and not get hit. He did not see where it was going. Seemed to know it was coming in his general direction, but made the mistake of not making sure of exactly where it was (quit watching, running to 2nd and looking that way). Big mistake that could have cost the game. If getting hit by a batted ball happened every now and then, I can be more sympathetic. But it does not happen... very-very rare. Because MLB runners are supposed to understand certain things... like avoiding batted balls.

RedFanAlways1966
04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Double play with men on 2nd & 3rd. The men on 2nd and 3rd are both out on one batted ball. You do not see these things often.

:thumbdown

OnBaseMachine
04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
WOW. This is easily the dumbest team in baseball on the basepaths. They just struck again. Holy crap.

reds44
04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I think I just saw the worst baserunning play of all time.

Cyclone792
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I think I just saw the worst baserunning play of all time.

http://gidget.vox.com/library/audio/6a00c2252027bef21900d4143f84c3685e.html

That title belongs to Ruben Rivera.

redsfaninbsg
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Baseball is a pretty simple game but watching the Reds you wouldn't know it. Really how do you do that? I remember learning how to run the bases in that situation during little league practice.

reds44
04-29-2008, 08:32 PM
http://gidget.vox.com/library/audio/6a00c2252027bef21900d4143f84c3685e.html

That title belongs to Ruben Rivera.
:lol:

That call by Miller. "And that is the worst baserunning in the history of the game."

fearofpopvol1
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Very disappointed in Keppinger. He seems to be one of the more fundamentally sound players on this team, but that was just unacceptable.

WVRedsFan
04-30-2008, 12:55 AM
So....I'm confused, can the media write that he screwed up, or do they need to just respect him for all the good things he does?

If they write he screwed up, then they are only writing about him when he's not going well. If they ignore he screwup and only talk about the good, he'll talk to them. Hmmm.

It's typical of society as we know it today. The press is totally lost all respect unless they agree with me...or you depending on the situation. They are too liberal or too conservative or too middle of the road. They're idiots if they take a different slant than I do and they're brilliant if they agree with me. If it's all good all the time for whatever you do, it's objective reporting. If you point out the flaws, you're just nitpicking. That's why we loathe CNN or Fox News or ESPN or Fox Sports or love them when they are saying something we like. The press has become public enemy number one or brilliant depending on whatever your point of view is.

IOW's, you're not going to win with Brandon. One of the many reasons that the only commentary I've heard or read about it came from Marty on the broadcast. Even Grande and the Cowboy fluffed over it.

bucksfan2
04-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I can see where you guys are coming from... but you have to see the ball and not get hit. He did not see where it was going. Seemed to know it was coming in his general direction, but made the mistake of not making sure of exactly where it was (quit watching, running to 2nd and looking that way). Big mistake that could have cost the game. If getting hit by a batted ball happened every now and then, I can be more sympathetic. But it does not happen... very-very rare. Because MLB runners are supposed to understand certain things... like avoiding batted balls.

I know this is old news but yes you have to see the ball get hit. You have to recognize whether it is a fly ball, line drive, grounder, etc. In Phillips case the ball was a lower liner and he knew he had to get to second quickly incase the second baseman was able to come up with the ball. The ball ate him up and I don't see Phillips really doing anything wrong in that situation. It is one of those freak baseball plays that happen every once in a while.

As for the continuous base running blunders, I can't believe I am watching a major league team. I don't fault Patterson so much for last nights baserunning blunder but its just had to swallow when it happens night after night. It really makes me long for the days when Larkin was on the base paths and rarely made a mistake.