PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo's Velocity

EddieMilner
04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
I noticed last night that on the MLB Gameday that Arroyo was getting up into the 90s with his fastball.

Last year when he struggled, it typically was when his fastball was in the 87 mph range.

In Arroyo's previous starts, where was his fastball sitting at?

OldRed1966
04-29-2008, 08:52 AM
In the 85-88 range. Arroyo credited swimming for the increase in his velocity.

EddieMilner
04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Thats interesting. That extra 2 mph is critical for his success. Without it, he's batting practice. With it, he's a serviceable pitcher.

RedsBuck36
04-29-2008, 09:11 AM
They attributed his lost velocity and lack of "curve" in his curve ball to opening up to soon on his delivery. Last night they made several points to slow his delivery down and show how he was really staying back on his windup just until his stretch and release. Whatever works and last night that curve was much better than it had been all year. He did reach the low 90's a few times but I dont see him ever being able to get much more out of his fastball than that anyway.

ChatterRed
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Arroyo is a mix it up pitcher. He will never be anything more than spotting up and mixing up his velocity, location, and array of pitches. He will never overpower anyone. He has to be a smart pitcher to succeed.

OldRed1966
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Arroyo is a mix it up pitcher. He will never be anything more than spotting up and mixing up his velocity, location, and array of pitches. He will never overpower anyone. He has to be a smart pitcher to succeed.

There's no doubt about that, but there's a huge difference when his fastball is hitting 90-93 instead of 85-88.

EddieMilner
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
There's no doubt about that, but there's a huge difference when his fastball is hitting 90-93 instead of 85-88.

I agree. When he's at 85-88 there is no reason to respect his fastball. You just wait back for junk, and then react if its a fastball. On the other hand, if its up in the 90s, you can't just sit there and wait for off speed, or you will never be able to catch up to it. That small jump from 87 to 90 is the biggest thing for BA's success IMHO.