PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Courier Journal: Bruce still needs small refinements

redsmetz
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I found this little blurb in the Louisville Courier Journal and didn't see that it had been posted.

Bruce still here for minor adjustments

By C.L. Brown April 27, 2008

For everyone who's ready to throw Jay Bruce into the Cincinnati Reds' fray, there are still some areas the top prospect is trying to improve while in Louisville.

"It's just small refinements everybody is looking for," said Terry Reynolds, the Reds' director of player development. "He's had very little time in the minor leagues, especially in Triple-A. Everybody thought it would be to his advantage to get more time."

The potential for greatness is obvious. Through Friday's game Bruce was batting .333 with a team-best four homers, and his 13 RBIs were second to Jerry Hairston Jr. (15), who was called up Monday. And who else has had a plastic figurine made in his image, as Bruce did last week?

Reynolds said that as good as the outfielder is, he could be even better.

"The thing that Jay's heard from everybody is he needs to be better with pitch selection," said Reynolds, who spent a week observing Bats players.

Bruce had drawn only four walks and struck out 17 times -- second to Chris Dickerson's 22 -- through Friday's game.

Bats manager Rick Sweet said Bruce has no major areas to overhaul, but refining his weaknesses in the minors would help him stay in the big leagues once he gets there.

"He needs to improve nuances," Sweet said. "He still throws to the wrong base, still makes baserunning mistakes, still misses cutoff men. Those little things make all the difference in winning and losing ballgames. It's not that he's bad at them; he's learning them at a higher level."

OnBaseMachine
04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
His pitch selection lately has been terrific. It seems like he's been in three ball counts in nearly every atbat lately.

the Reds need a boost on offense. Hopefully Bruce gets the call on the next homestand.

redsmetz
04-29-2008, 02:04 PM
His pitch selection lately has been terrific. It seems like he's been in three ball counts in nearly every atbat lately.

the Reds need a boost on offense. Hopefully Bruce gets the call on the next homestand.

I saw his stats this a.m. in the Enquirer and I think he'll be here sooner, rather than later. Before the All Star Break, I think.

OldXOhio
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
"He needs to improve nuances," Sweet said. "He still throws to the wrong base, still makes baserunning mistakes, still misses cutoff men. Those little things make all the difference in winning and losing ballgames."

This makes him different than the players on the big club how?

flyer85
04-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I have no doubt that he does. I also have no doubt he could help the major league team.

Chip R
04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
"He needs to improve nuances," Sweet said. "He still throws to the wrong base, still makes baserunning mistakes, still misses cutoff men. Those little things make all the difference in winning and losing ballgames."

This makes him different than the players on the big club how?

Really. Sounds like he'd fit right in.

Spring~Fields
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
"The thing that Jay's heard from everybody is he needs to be better with pitch selection," said Reynolds, who spent a week observing Bats players.

This could be said about most of the current Reds batters. Apparently Jay Bruce is far advanced and ready. It’s politics, they wanted Patterson and are stuck for 3 million plus along with Freel's 3 million. We all know who the current manager prefers in center and who wanted him here and who keeps batting his .280 OBM at leadoff.

"He needs to improve nuances," Sweet said. "He still throws to the wrong base, still makes base running mistakes, still misses cutoff men. Those little things make all the difference in winning and losing ballgames. It's not that he's bad at them; he's learning them at a higher level."

This too sounds like the Reds everyday players. Perhaps they could be sent down to learn those little things. Of course it would be easier to bring Bruce up, according to this report he is ready.

Jay Bruce OF 25 98 16 31 3 3 5 19 55 5 24 6 0 .340 .561 .316 .901

AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs Left .370 .345 .630 .974
vs Right .296 .338 .535 .873

C. Patterson 26 84 15 18 7 1 4 39 11 8 6 5 2 .214 .280 .464 .744

Reynolds, now tell us the whole story!

Mario-Rijo
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
I for one love this approach as long as it continues with everyone in the system. It's the way you change the culture by getting guys to do things properly before they get to stay at the big league level.

Spring~Fields
04-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Jay Bruce Fielding
Pos G PO A E DP FP RFg PB
Chatt
OF 15 27 1 0 1 1.000 1.87
CF 12 22 1 0 1 1.000 1.92
RF 4 5 0 0 0 1.000 1.25

Lou 2007
OF 50 111 6 3 2 .975 2.34
CF 41 90 4 1 1 .989 2.29
RF 11 21 2 2 1 .920 2.09

Lou 2008
OF 22 46 2 0 0 1.000 2.18
CF 14 28 0 0 0 1.000 2.00
RF 5 11 1 0 0 1.000 2.40
LF 3 7 1 0 0 1.000 2.67

Spring~Fields
04-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Looks like he has played a lot of centerfield.

bucksfan2
05-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Im split on Bruce being called up. I am so sick of seing the reds play bad fundamental baseball and I want in engrained into everyone's head in the minors that this is how you play. I don't care how good you are we are going to play smart, fundamental baseball.

On the other hand I don't care about his low walk totals. I want a guy up there who is going to punish a mistake. A guy who can drive the ball when it isnt in a small window. I want an aggressive hitter instead of a passive hitter. I want a Pujols type instead of a Dunn type hitter.

Spring~Fields
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Im split on Bruce being called up. I am so sick of seing the reds play bad fundamental baseball and I want in engrained into everyone's head in the minors that this is how you play. I don't care how good you are we are going to play smart, fundamental baseball.

On the other hand I don't care about his low walk totals. I want a guy up there who is going to punish a mistake. A guy who can drive the ball when it isnt in a small window. I want an aggressive hitter instead of a passive hitter. I want a Pujols type instead of a Dunn type hitter.

I understand that. I think that the majority of us can share in your sentiments.

I want a player that can change the dynamics of the Reds offense in a positive manner as well as upgrade the defense. Both of which can work to take pressure off of the starting pitching, I am concerned that we are now seeing them try to hard with the lack of run support and defensive mistakes.
I want to believe that the Reds coaching staff could take Bruce and Votto alike under their wings this year molding them into something very special.

A multi-dimensional type batter who can work a walk, work the bat for hits, has power, and has some speed. I think that is Bruce.