PDA

View Full Version : Smoltz to the DL....

jesusfan
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Looks like we will miss Smoltz in Atlanta... Seems like we miss a lot of top pitchers due to injury right before their series. Not a problem with me though...

Braves ace Smoltz headed to DL, but he won't need shoulder surgery
Associated Press

Updated: April 29, 2008, 7:15 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
WASHINGTON -- Atlanta pitcher John Smoltz went on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with an ailing right shoulder, though the Braves were told he can get over the problem without surgery.

Smoltz was examined in Birmingham, Ala., by Dr. James Andrews, who diagnosed a severely inflamed biceps tendon and inflammation of the rotator cuff in the right shoulder. The 40-year-old pitcher went on the DL retroactive to Monday.

Smoltz

"It could have been worse. It could have been injured in there or frayed or torn or whatever, but the report is pretty darn good actually," Braves manager Bobby Cox said before his team's series opener against the Washington Nationals. "It's been inflamed for a while, and he has pitched with it."

Andrews injected Smoltz's shoulder for the inflammation and prescribed rest and rehabilitation until he is pain free, the team said. The Braves aren't sure when Smoltz will return.

"He can rest a couple of weeks," Cox said, "and we'll see then where we go."

Tom Glavine was activated after going on the DL for the first time in his career, sidelined by a hamstring problem. He was set to start Tuesday night.

Smoltz left the team after lasting only four innings in a start at New York on Sunday. He gave up seven hits and four runs in the 6-3 loss to the Mets.

Smoltz's right shoulder has been a concern since spring training. He started the season on the disabled list with tightness in the back of the shoulder.

After being activated, Smoltz went 3-1 with an 0.78 ERA in his first four starts, also becoming the 16th pitcher in baseball history to reach 3,000 strikeouts. He's the only pitcher with at least 200 wins and 150 saves.

But Smoltz had trouble delivering his pitches in New York, prompting him to seek out Andrews' advice. The diagnosis was made after the pitcher had an MRI exam and a CT scan.

This is Smoltz's 11th stint on the disabled list. Most of his problems have stemmed from a troublesome right elbow, which has required four operations, but he's been slowed the last two years by shoulder troubles.

Meanwhile, another projected member of the rotation, Mike Hampton, was to make a minor league rehabilitation start for Triple-A Richmond on Wednesday in Durham, N.C.

Cox said the left-hander is penciled in to start for the Braves on May 10 at the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Hampton is recovering from a strained pectoral muscle, an injury he sustained while warming up in the bullpen on April 3 before what was to be his first start in almost three years. He was sidelined by two major elbow surgeries.

Notes

3B Chipper Jones (back spasms) and SS Yunel Escobar (finger injury) returned to the lineup Tuesday after missing games Saturday and Sunday. "Only thing is it bothers me a little when I throw," Escobar said through a translator, C Brayan Pena. ... Cox said the team would call up someone from the minors -- but he wasn't sure which pitcher -- to start Saturday against the Cincinnati Reds.

OnBaseMachine
04-29-2008, 08:28 PM
They still have to face Hudson on Friday and Glavine on Sunday.

15fan
04-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I was really looking forward to seeing Smoltz vs. Volquez on Saturday night.

Benihana
05-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Smoltz Situation Could Prompt Trade
John Smoltz is planning to return from the DL as a reliever in three weeks or so. This leaves the Braves with question marks in the rotation beyond Tim Hudson, Tom Glavine, and Jair Jurrjens.

The fifth starter job is often in flux for a lot of teams, but it seems the Braves need to figure out one more long-term starter for the year. The Braves do have some arms to bring up from Triple A, namely lefties Jo-Jo Reyes and Chuck James. Reyes has a 1.17 ERA in five starts.

In my opinion, the Braves need an innings eater if anything. Two trade possibilities come to mind: Joe Blanton and Kevin Millwood. I wonder if Billy Beane would demand top prospect Jason Heyward.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

Please Bronson, pitch well the next couple times out. If you could net us Jason Heyward (who I loved in the last draft) and/or some other prospects (Brent Lillibridge? JoJo Reyes?) I would be oh-so-grateful!

flyer85
05-01-2008, 11:52 AM
with the A's off to an excellent start I doubt Beane is looking to pull the trigger on trading Blanton.

I doubt trading Bronson for prospects is the kind of trade the Bob and Walt have in mind.

Joseph
05-01-2008, 12:09 PM
with the A's off to an excellent start I doubt Beane is looking to pull the trigger on trading Blanton.

I doubt trading Bronson for prospects is the kind of trade the Bob and Walt have in mind.

Thing is, I think Beane would trade Blanton or Harden or Street, even if they are in first place. He seems like the sort of guy who decides he is rebuilding, winning or not. So if the Bravos offer up two or three good prospects, Beanes dealing.

Benihana
05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Thing is, I think Beane would trade Blanton or Harden or Street, even if they are in first place. He seems like the sort of guy who decides he is rebuilding, winning or not. So if the Bravos offer up two or three good prospects, Beanes dealing.

you might be right, but I think that Frank Thomas would disagree

OnBaseMachine
05-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Smoltz makes it clear in text message that he's returning as a reliever

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 1, 2008, 10:21 AM ET

Bobby Cox prefers having John Smoltz in Atlanta's rotation but the Braves' ace made it clear in a text message to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he plans on coming back as a reliever.

I am planning on coming back as a reliever first, and more than likely for the rest of this year.

--John Smoltz text message

"I am planning on coming back as a reliever first, and more than likely for the rest of this year," Smoltz said in a text message to the newspaper late Wednesday.

While Cox said Wednesday that he was willing to consider the idea of Smoltz pitching out of the bullpen, the Braves manager clearly wants him in the rotation.

Asked Wednesday whether Smoltz could go back to being a closer, Cox said: "We are always thinking about it."

In the next breath, Cox added: "I like him as a starter."

However, Smoltz's text message makes it clear that -- at least for the time being -- when he returns from the disabled list, he plans on being a reliever.

"I hear people say that we can't win without me as a starter," Smoltz told MLB.com. "But we're not going to win with me as a five-inning starter either."

The 40-year-old Smoltz went on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with an ailing right shoulder. He began the season on the DL with tightness in the back of his shoulder, but after being activated, he went 3-1 with an 0.78 ERA in his first four starts.

Smoltz, the only pitcher in major league history with at least 200 wins and 150 saves, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday he would consider going back to relieving.

"Right now I'm sitting at ground zero, taking it day by day, looking at every option to help this team get to the playoffs and end my career the way I'd like to end it," he told the newspaper.

Asked how serious the discussions about Smoltz's role had been, Cox said Wednesday: "Who knows until we get the results of all this?"

Left-hander Mike Hampton, meanwhile, left a rehab start at Triple-A Richmond in the fourth inning when he was bothered by his injured chest muscle.

"Maybe he came out just in time," Cox said.

The manager was hoping Hampton could pitch for Atlanta on May 10 but said now the team will have to "wait and see."

Hampton allowed one earned run and three hits, along with two walks and four strikeouts, in 3 1/3 innings. He had thrown 71 pitches when he was forced out in the middle of facing a batter; he was supposed to be on a 75-pitch limit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3376418

fearofpopvol1
05-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I wonder if Jockety would try to trade Arroyo to the Braves, who had shown previous interest in him. What would it take? JoJo Reyes and another prospect?

I do agree, trading Arroyo would definitely be throwing up the white flag in terms of wanting to contend anytime soon.

flyer85
05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I do agree, trading Arroyo would definitely be throwing up the white flag in terms of wanting to contend anytime soon.only by those who value experience so highly. I like having depth even more.

As Bronson has shown to start the season, pitchers of his ilk walk a very fine line between success and abject failure. Stray just a little and ....

OnBaseMachine
05-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I remember last year when it was rumored the Braves were offering Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes for Arroyo on trade deadline day. It actually looked as if that deal had gone through because Arroyo was scheduled to start a game the next day and Phil Dumatrait was scratched from his scheduled start in Louisville, which made it look like he was going to take Arroyo's spot in the Reds rotation. Imagine if that deal had happened, we'd have a young stud SS for the future who is a good defenser and great leadoff hitter, plus a solid young left handed pitching prospect who is major league ready. That is a deal where I wish we could go back in time and accept.

Benihana
05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I remember last year when it was rumored the Braves were offering Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes for Arroyo on trade deadline day. It actually looked as if that deal had gone through because Arroyo was scheduled to start a game the next day and Phil Dumatrait was scratched from his scheduled start in Louisville, which made it look like he was going to take Arroyo's spot in the Reds rotation. Imagine if that deal had happened, we'd have a young stud SS for the future who is a good defenser and great leadoff hitter, plus a solid young left handed pitching prospect who is major league ready. That is a deal where I wish we could go back in time and accept.

I know. Man would Jocketty be a genius if he could somehow bring this deal back to life. Maybe if Atlanta gets desperate enough for pitch- nevermind. Oh well, one can dream.:rolleyes:

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I know. Man would Jocketty be a genius if he could somehow bring this deal back to life. Maybe if Atlanta gets desperate enough for pitch- nevermind. Oh well, one can dream.:rolleyes:

No way the Braves make that deal now IMO. The only reason they considered it last year was because they still had Edgar Renteria. I'd like to see Walt get Frank Wren drunk and see if he can pry Jason Heyward away from the Braves. I like that kid a whole lot. I was hoping and praying he would fall to the Reds at #15 last year but the Braves grabbed him at #14.

Benihana
05-02-2008, 12:10 AM
No way the Braves make that deal now IMO. The only reason they considered it last year was because they still had Edgar Renteria. I'd like to see Walt get Frank Wren drunk and see if he can pry Jason Heyward away from the Braves. I like that kid a whole lot. I was hoping and praying he would fall to the Reds at #15 last year but the Braves grabbed him at #14.

Again, I agree completely. Escobar, Heyward, Lillebridge, and Reyes are the guys I'd target from the Braves in that order. Sadly I agree that Escobar- and maybe even Heyward- are probably pipe dreams.

fearofpopvol1
05-02-2008, 12:13 AM
only by those who value experience so highly. I like having depth even more.

As Bronson has shown to start the season, pitchers of his ilk walk a very fine line between success and abject failure. Stray just a little and ....

That's fine if your contention window is 2011-2012 or beyond, but that doesn't appear to be BCast's plan. If you're planning on "winning now," you definitely want proven commodities, not depth.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
June 4, 2008, 09:32 AM ET
Smoltz Done

by Will Carroll

The Braves have called a press conference for 11.30a and I’ve confirmed that they will announce that John Smoltz is done for the season. After pitching Monday night, Smoltz woke up on Tuesday with increased soreness and swelling. As I said in Tuesday’s UTK, “Questions on Smoltz’s health were partially answered; he’s strong enough to throw at effective and even impressive velocity, but we don’t yet know how he’ll recover from having done so.”

Now we have an answer. Smoltz may announce that he won’t come back at the press conference and if so, ends what is very likely to be a Hall of Fame career. More on this after the presser.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=890

RedsManRick
06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Yikes. That's a major blow to the Braves... and my fantasy team.

NJReds
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Sad way to end a career if it is indeed the end for Smoltz. The guy was one of the few Atlanta Braves that I actually liked. He's a bulldog on the mound and did what he had to do to make his team better.

Raisor
06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I was listening to the presser on my way home. He said he'll be back next year if at all possible.

He's a really classy guy and I hope it goes well.

My favorite question in the presser was if he was going to go to the Redwings/Pens game tonight since he'll have the time now. (He's not).

Chip R
06-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I was listening to the presser on my way home. He said he'll be back next year if at all possible.

I don't doubt it. Guy's a gamer.

Joseph
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
One of those guys you just respect, even though you don't actually know him personally.

I'll be rooting for him to come back.

Raisor
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
He said we'll know when he is retiring because at THAT presser he'll be carrying a golfclub and a basketball (he's going to be coaching his daughter's hs basketing ball team)

Sea Ray
06-04-2008, 06:54 PM
The guy's 41 and has logged a ton of innings on that poor arm/shoulder, why come back? Shoulder's are a lot tougher to come from than elbows. I wish him the best but he's had a wonderful 20 yr career and done everything you can do as a pitcher. Go enjoy the golf, John and see you in Cooperstown.

Unassisted
06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/06/13/smoltz.pitchagain.ap/

Smoltz hopes to pitch again

ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz says he still hopes to pitch again following shoulder surgery.

Smoltz said Friday that doctors found significant damage in his right shoulder during the surgery earlier this week.

The 41-year-old Smoltz acknowledged that similar operations have limited the flexibility in other pitchers to the point that they couldn't pitch again. He said he hopes to know more about his chances when he is first able to throw again in four or five months.

Meanwhile, Braves general manager Frank Wren said today that pitcher Tom Glavine will be out until around the All-Star break with a small tear in his flexor tendon. Glavine was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday.

bucksfan2
06-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Smoltz may be one of the most underrated players of all time. I hated him in the 90's because he was so good. He just seemed like one of those big game pitchers. His numbers are sick when you consider that he had 2-3 major arm surgeries. Over 200 Wins, 150 Saves, and 3000 strikeouts is something that I doubt we will ever see again.

What made me admire Smoltz more is that he has done anything to help the club. Even this season when he was having arm problems he told Cox to put him in the pen so he could help the team out.