PDA

View Full Version : Time For the "I" Word (Busting it out for the first time in 08!)

Edskin
04-30-2008, 08:34 AM
This will make RFS62, very happy :)

For whatever reason, I still have a decent amount of confidence in this team in terms of success THIS year.

--I think we're bound to hit the ball more consistently. BP looks to be coming out of his slump, and Dunn can't be too far behind. Get those two guys going consistently, and I think the runs will come.

--I REALLY like the potential of the bullpen. Francisco is hammering down the 9th inning, so we don't need to worry about that. And with Bray replacing Coffey, I think the pen could be a real strong spot throughout the season. There really isn't anybody out there that gives me that sinking feeling in my stomach when he enters the game.

--The rotation is at least interesting. Harang is a stud, Volquez has been great, and despite his most recent outing, Cueto is certainly worth watching.

In summary, I could still see the Reds getting hot. I could still see us getting above .500 before the AS break and making a run at the post-season.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I have a certain amount of confidence that this team is going to make a run.

Having said that, here's comes the "I" word:

Important.

Yes, folks, mark it down. It's April 30th, and the Reds are playing the first game of the year that I will call "important."

We rattled off three in a row and then got blasted last night. Now, we have a chance to take 2 out of 3 against a division team with our ace on the mound. IF we are going to make the run I've mentioned above, these are the types of games we'll need to win.

I am going to continue to "mark" certain games as more important than others throughout the season and update our record in those games. We'll see how it turns out :)

RedlegJake
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
I like your post Edskin.

Tonight is important. Important for another reason, too. The Reds need to start supporting Harang -they simply can't waste great starts by their ace. Take 2 of 3 in St Lou, and then the same in Atlanta. Win each series as they go and the season will take care of itself.

SunDeck
04-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm happy the Reds seem to be waking up a little bit, but I'm still just happy to see a real starting rotation rather than a bunch of cast offs, old guys with more scars than Frankenstein and AAAA retreads.

They are going to get banged around once in a while, but I like it. I like it a lot.

Keep swimmmg Bronson. I swim for exercise; there's nothing like it to make you strong and tough.

HokieRed
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I agree this is an important game today. Big difference between 3 below .500 and five with another road series; important to win two series in a row; important to win one of Harang's starts, especially against a division foe. As of now, going to the seventh, I don't like our chances. We desperately need lineup changes.

REDREAD
04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Ed. I've always enjoyed your posts laying out the plan to win the division. Keep them coming.

HokieRed
04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Ed,
Looks unlikely we'll win this one, one of those of the kind we need to win. Cause you to change your evaluation? I wish I shared your optimism. I think you're two years ahead of time.

Falls City Beer
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
This team is metaphysically awful. They won't start playing "important" games again until next April.

HokieRed
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I agree this team is really bad. Will repeat an earlier prediction of mine. They will have a hard time winning 75 games.

Falls City Beer
04-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree this team is really bad. Will repeat an earlier prediction of mine. They will have a hard time winning 75 games.

Good call. I certainly didn't see the advanced stage cancer eating at this roster. Good eye.

(And this roster is ALL Wayne Krivsky).

Aronchis
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't get to down on the Reds. They weren't going to start fast. That was pretty evident. The key is for the young talent to continue to grow and build themselves up into the majors for the 2nd half of the year. Bailey,Bruce,Roenicke and the gang need to get steady and stable. The Reds have guys that don't belong on the majors but we don't want to rush the kids either for a lame hope at making the playoffs this year. I think that is what happened to Cueto and he has been trying to hard evident by overthrowing his fastball.

If I was Griffey, I would open my self up for trade. The time has come.

flyer85
04-30-2008, 04:20 PM
they are a bunch of mismatched part light on talent(said it before the season). Nothing has changed at this point.

Roster management has been bad and the batting order designed to aid the opponents in pitching to the team.

RichRed
04-30-2008, 04:44 PM

I strongly disagree!

(I picked them to win 76.)

Kc61
04-30-2008, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't get to down on the Reds. They weren't going to start fast. That was pretty evident. The key is for the young talent to continue to grow and build themselves up into the majors for the 2nd half of the year. Bailey,Bruce,Roenicke and the gang need to get steady and stable. The Reds have guys that don't belong on the majors but we don't want to rush the kids either for a lame hope at making the playoffs this year. I think that is what happened to Cueto and he has been trying to hard evident by overthrowing his fastball.

If I was Griffey, I would open my self up for trade. The time has come.

I agree that the Reds should emphasize youth. I think they will, at some point, need an established right handed bat for the middle of the lineup. Otherwise, primarily young players.

Spring~Fields
04-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Patterson, Hairston and Bako too ? "ALL" ?

I thought that Krivsky had such great scouting skills, how could he have lost it with these ex-Cubs so badly?

Spring~Fields
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Nothing has changed at this point.

Roster management has been bad and the batting order designed to aid the opponents in pitching to the team.

I strongly agree.

Aronchis
04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
I agree that the Reds should emphasize youth. I think they will, at some point, need an established right handed bat for the middle of the lineup. Otherwise, primarily young players.

What the Reds need is a left handed starter,catcher and a right handed bat. Emphasis should be on the young players you want and trade the ones you don't. Ditto on the established players like Dunn, if you don't want him, deal him. Jock's strategy should get Cast to understand that building takes time(even Jock retrenched in 1998-99 and soldoff during the steriod driven McGwire surge. Which interestly fueled their run for many years) and we must allow the pieces to fit. You can't force winning with poor moves that don't bring it. I would argue Krivsky was to weak and couldn't get Cast to understand that fact so he tried to spin both ways hoping to land on his feet in 2010 with enough talent that the Reds could win.

Lets look at the Reds:
OF: Dunn,Griffey,Freel,Patterson,Bruce*,Dickerson*,Cum berland*
3b: EE
SS: Kepp, Janish*,Castro*
2nd: BP
1st: Votto
C: Ross,Backo

Pitching: Harang,Volquez,Belisle,Arroyo,Cueto,Bailey*,Mulron ey*,Thompson*,Roenicke*,Pelland*,Fisher*,

What do we see? Strength in the infield and lack of athletes in the outfield. The infield looks like it could be set for years. The outfield not as much though uber-prospect Jay Bruce expects to fill in a hole nicely. We could use a fulltime CF, a RH bat. Looks like to me the offense has the pieces, it is up to the GM to structure it correctly.

How about the pitching? 4 big righties and 3 smaller pitchers. Mulroney is the only lefty, big himself but doesn't have a good fastball. Harang is established, Arroyo is as well, but thin framed and these types have a tendency to sign out faster. Cueto is small and may not have the umph to make it as a starter. Belisle is interesting, but has questionable stuff. Bailey has stuff and size to be a inning eater but needs some polish. Volquez is becoming a man. Thompson is small and has a shakey injury history, but apparently has recovered from his injuries and is pitching well. This group needs the GM to pick and piece what to keep and what not to keep.

GAC
04-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Gee, there is no denying that. Thanks for reminding us.

But it's not WK's fault that guy's who have produced consistently for this team, guys like Dunn, Jr, Phillips have had a pretty poor April, especially in the run producing department

mth123
04-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Inept?
Incomprehensible?
Immature?
Idiotic?
Ill-Advised?

Always Red
04-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Inept?
Incomprehensible?
Immature?
Idiotic?
Ill-Advised?

Inconceivable

Chip R
04-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Inconceivable

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/archive/Vizzini%20copy.JPG

mth123
04-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Inconceivable

Good one.

*BaseClogger*
04-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I was thinking inconsistent...

jojo
04-30-2008, 09:47 PM
irrelevant.....

mth123
04-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Actually I kid with the "I" words, but I'm not ready to concede a losing season yet. I still think this team is capable of playing above .500. But the team needs to start treading water now and at least not fall any farther below .500. Perhaps a hot streak by one of the big boys can carry them to a stretch of high winning % ball to get them back above .500. I don't think there is enough for the playoffs unless they get help from Bruce, a veteran starter acquired in a deal and a bullpen surprise to be a shut down 8th inning guy (my money is still on Mike Lincoln now and Josh Roenicke later)

Always Red
04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Good one.

My name is Inigo Montoya.

You killed my father.

Prepare to die.

Edskin
05-01-2008, 07:48 AM
My name is Inigo Montoya.

You killed my father.

Prepare to die.

As You Wish.

:)

cincyinco
05-01-2008, 01:33 PM
This team is only mostly dead..

jojo
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM

I think this team can play some baseball that is "interesting" even "intertaining" :cool: this season depending upon who is on the roster......

After the hole they've dug with their performance during April, I just think it's not likely this team can play meaningful baseball in September.

Falls City Beer
05-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I think this team can play some baseball that is "interesting" even "intertaining" :cool: this season depending upon who is on the roster......

After the hole they've dug with their performance during April, I just think it's not likely this team can play meaningful baseball in September.

This is my take. I'd add, "there's absolutely no way they'll be playing meaningful baseball even two weeks from now."

Always Red
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM

http://www.princessbride.8m.com/096.jpg

Highlifeman21
05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
This is my take. I'd add, "there's absolutely no way they'll be playing meaningful baseball even two weeks from now."

Aside from Opening Day, what meaningful baseball has this team played this year?