PDA

View Full Version : If Dunn and Jr. don't make up the worst defensive OF in MLB history...

44Magnum
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
they are at least in the conversation. Those two are completely worthless in the outfield.
Give me Votto (LF), Hopper (CF) and Bruce (RF). Move Dunn to 1B and Jr. to the AL.

smoke6
04-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Dunn at 1B has passed.

Hairston > Pattreson, Hopper, Freel IMO

Nasty_Boy
04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I want no part of Hopper in CF. He is a terrible defensive outfielder, just terrible. I agree that Dunn should be playing 1st and I would love to see Bruce in RF.

smoke6
04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
What was the reason the Dunn at 1B expeirment failed? Was it Hatte coming over or was it because Dunn stunk?

Ahhhorsepoo
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
dunn had 12 errors in 100 games at first..

While Griff isnt up to his old GG days.. he still is better than 50% of the outfielders playing today.. what he lacks in speed he makes up for in his read of the ball.. soo don't tell me his speed makes him one of the worst.. having speed only helps if you read the ball well.. Lewis in SF is fast, but can't read a ball to save his life.. soo he is not good at all.. dunn on the other hand can't read balls well.. apparent by his taking more than a second to react to any ball hit to him.. and his speed is below average.. while griffey isnt the centerpiece of an outfield anymore he is a more than capable RF..

Rob387
04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Chris Duncan usually makes Dunn look like a gold glover in LF but i don't know what happened on that throw last night

dsmith421
04-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Norris Hopper is a poor defensive center fielder, can't run, and can't hit the ball out of the infield. I will never understand the love affair some people have with him.

durl
04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
They're not the worst by a long shot. This thread should never had been started.

foxfire123
04-30-2008, 11:00 AM
They're not the worst by a long shot. This thread should never had been started.

It's probably just in response to their crappy game last night. I know I was screaming for blood on those sloppy, stupid errors last night. What I was saying about Dunn wasn't ladylike and certainly isn't fit for a family board! :bang: I'm sure I'm not the only one.... lol!

Nasty_Boy
04-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Their miscues didn't help but they hardly made a difference in the outcome.

44Magnum
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Griffey is a liability in the field. It doesn't matter how well he reads the ball, his legs are shot. He regularly turns the routine into the spectacular. That's if he even gets to the ball at all on some plays.

Dunn needs to drop 40lbs. and learn to play 1b. That or go to the AL.

Degenerate39
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
So you want Dunn out of the outfield for being a bad fielder but you'll put Norris Hopper in a more important outfield position and he's pretty bad himself. Hopper doesn't produce at the plate like Dunn does unless you're talking about bunts.

DTCromer
04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't say they're the worst. Laziest? Possibly, but not the worst. They are probably the laziest OF's I've seen in a while. The guys just act like they don't care out there.

redsfanmia
04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
We wont have to worry about it in a few months anyway.

44Magnum
04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Yes, I would rather have Hopper out there. I would rather have what Hopper gives you for his salary than what Dunn gives you for his. The Reds should move Dunn just as quick as they can.

Degenerate39
04-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, I would rather have Hopper out there. I would rather have what Hopper gives you for his salary than what Dunn gives you for his. The Reds should move Dunn just as quick as they can.

Yeah because Norris's bunts or infield singles are better than Dunn's home runs.

Nasty_Boy
04-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't say they're the worst. Laziest? Possibly, but not the worst. They are probably the laziest OF's I've seen in a while. The guys just act like they don't care out there.

That makes no sense at all! I've seen them both make bad plays, but I have seen them be lazy. I also think its a bunch of BS that you think you can watch TV and think these guys are lazy. I have seen both of them go a long way for fly balls and I've seen them both make diving catches and catches running into the wall. Just because they're not real fast/quick does not make them lazy.

Rounding Third
04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Hairston > Pattreson, Hopper, Freel IMO

I hate Patterson..but please tell me your joking.

UK Reds Fan
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Leave Votto alone at first...

Would not 15 million get you a Carlos Lee type of outfielder???? Let Dunn walk or trade him, put that money to use on a FA

LF Free Agent
CF Freel/Patterson
RF Bruce

44Magnum
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM

Would not 15 million get you a Carlos Lee type of outfielder???? Let Dunn walk or trade him, put that money to use on a FA

LF Free Agent
CF Freel/Patterson
RF Bruce

I could live with that.

smoke6
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I hate Patterson..but please tell me your joking.

Do you not understand Math? Hairston is better than the rest. BTW, I hate Patterson too.

HUHUH
04-30-2008, 09:13 PM
That makes no sense at all! I've seen them both make bad plays, but I have seen them be lazy. I also think its a bunch of BS that you think you can watch TV and think these guys are lazy. I have seen both of them go a long way for fly balls and I've seen them both make diving catches and catches running into the wall. Just because they're not real fast/quick does not make them lazy.

NO. They ARE lazy. Dunn lolligags to get to balls, and Griffey is a joke.

Degenerate39
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
This whole laziness thing is just stupid. Griffey's legs are gone so he's obviously not going to be the Griffey of the 90's that everyone loved. Dunn may take bad routes to get to the ball but I don't see how he's lazy. If he was lazy and hated to run he would've stayed at 1st base a few years ago and Votto would be in left field right now.

gedred69
04-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Dunn may not be lazy, (debateable), but he performs like someone who would rather be doing someting else, like maybe DH'ing in the AL? I will state this and open myself up to the guarenteed attacks to follow. Both he and Griffey are millstones hung around this team's neck. Reds will not do well until they are both gone. Why is Bruce not honing his talents as a Red instead of fermenting at Louisville? This season is only a preparatory stage for the future. Bring on the future. NOW. Get the future talent ready for '09 and beyond.

Nasty_Boy
04-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I am truely amazed at how much fans dislike the best home grown player since Barry Larkin! If you want to call him a bad fielder fine, but you cannot set at home and watch a game and tell me AD is lazy. He has the classic big man syndrome. All over the country there are schools filled with big guys that get labled as lazy because they don't move as fast or think as quick. I would love to follow you guys to work and watch you every second and I'm sure we could find some laziness. What a freaking joke! :thumbdown

Chris Sabowned
05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I am truely amazed at how much fans dislike the best home grown player since Barry Larkin! If you want to call him a bad fielder fine, but you cannot set at home and watch a game and tell me AD is lazy. He has the classic big man syndrome. All over the country there are schools filled with big guys that get labled as lazy because they don't move as fast or think as quick. I would love to follow you guys to work and watch you every second and I'm sure we could find some laziness. What a freaking joke! :thumbdown

I'm willing to bet not many people here make 13 mil. If I made Adam Dunn money I would be sprinting our of my chair to the printer or fax machine.

Orodle
05-01-2008, 01:27 AM

LF Free Agent
CF Freel/Patterson
RF Bruce

you do realize any FA worth a damn is gunna cost that much or more right.

DTCromer
05-01-2008, 07:44 AM
This whole laziness thing is just stupid. Griffey's legs are gone so he's obviously not going to be the Griffey of the 90's that everyone loved. Dunn may take bad routes to get to the ball but I don't see how he's lazy. If he was lazy and hated to run he would've stayed at 1st base a few years ago and Votto would be in left field right now.

If he's not lazy, then he just plain sucks. Missing a third base bag is LAZY. Continually taking wrong routes to the ball means he's either stupid or lazy for not working on that stuff. As for Griffey, I've seen him dog a few balls in the OF a few times because he feels like his arm compensates for his laziness or his old age.

As for Adam playing 1st base, defense is about effort and he either just plain sucks in the field or he's lazy. In my opinion, it's the latter.

Nasty_Boy
05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm willing to bet not many people here make 13 mil. If I made Adam Dunn money I would be sprinting our of my chair to the printer or fax machine.

That is the absolute worst argument I have ever seen. Does a guy making the league min. have to hustle less? You are getting paid to do your job the same as AD, so if it requires that you spring to the fax machine then you should... no matter how much your making. Adam Dunn has done everything that has been asked of him since becoming a Cincinnati Red. The biggest gripe against him had been strikeouts, so he cuts those down and people want to complain about something else. It's stupid and it's sad! :thumbdown But to call someone lazy is not only wrong, but it's uncalled for! I have never ever seen Dunn's hustle cost the Reds, and to say you have is a lie!

44Magnum
05-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Dunn may not be lazy, (debateable), but he performs like someone who would rather be doing someting else, like maybe DH'ing in the AL? I will state this and open myself up to the guarenteed attacks to follow. Both he and Griffey are millstones hung around this team's neck. Reds will not do well until they are both gone. Why is Bruce not honing his talents as a Red instead of fermenting at Louisville? This season is only a preparatory stage for the future. Bring on the future. NOW. Get the future talent ready for '09 and beyond.

I could not agree with you more!

Degenerate39
05-01-2008, 11:41 AM
No one here can be a judge of laziness at the major league level. How many people here have even been a professional ball player? Just a few that I know of.

Rounding Third
05-01-2008, 02:27 PM
No one here can be a judge of laziness at the major league level. How many people here have even been a professional ball player? Just a few that I know of.

I disagree. You can look at players and judge whether they are being lazy or not. George Brett would run out a pop up to shortstop for the last out of the game when the team was losing by 10 runs.

Griffey especially wouldn't run out a single if he was the tying running getting on base. I really like Dunn and Griffey, but it kills me to see them jogging around the bases.

Degenerate39
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I disagree. You can look at players and judge whether they are being lazy or not. George Brett would run out a pop up to shortstop for the last out of the game when the team was losing by 10 runs.

Griffey especially wouldn't run out a single if he was the tying running getting on base. I really like Dunn and Griffey, but it kills me to see them jogging around the bases.

A 162 game season is alot of running and for an old man like Griffey and for a big guy like Dunn it can't be easy on their legs. All I'm saying is people need to take this stuff into consideration. Dunn's already had one surgery on his knee so I'm sure that doesn't help things out.

durl
05-01-2008, 04:03 PM

I've seen Griffey hustle out grounders to first plenty of times. I have seen him hold back running to first as well...along with 90% of other major leaguers when there's a soft grounder hit to 2nd base. The man isn't as fast as he was when he was 20 but I think he does quite well for a guy his age who has his hamstring screwed to the bone.

44Magnum
05-01-2008, 04:17 PM
A 162 game season is alot of running and for an old man like Griffey and for a big guy like Dunn it can't be easy on their legs. All I'm saying is people need to take this stuff into consideration. Dunn's already had one surgery on his knee so I'm sure that doesn't help things out.

The reason(s) why they are slow is irrelevant. The bottom line is that both guys kill us in the OF and at the top of the batting order.

Rounding Third
05-01-2008, 04:34 PM
The reason(s) why they are slow is irrelevant. The bottom line is that both guys kill us in the OF and at the top of the batting order.

Dunn is batting 5th. Is that the top of the lineup?

He should be batting high in the lineup because he gets on base. Look at the .391 OBP. The highest on the team.

44Magnum
05-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Yesterday was further proof of how bad the Reds OF defense really is.