PDA

View Full Version : 50 Greatest comic sketches of all time

Chip R
04-30-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/nerveeditors/50GreatestComedySketches/01/ (http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/nerveeditors/50GreatestComedySketches/01/http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/nerveeditors/50GreatestComedySketches/01/)

GoReds33
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
How in the world isn't Celebrity Jeopardy #1? That's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Rojo
04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
How about the SNL sketch with Woody Harrelson where the guys at the beach don't want to take their shirts off for various reasons?

Or the Joe Montana sketch with the best damn punchline ever?

Chip R
04-30-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm disappointed that "Jackie Rogers Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad" wasn't included.

MrCinatit
04-30-2008, 05:16 PM
There are actually a few on there I have only heard about, but have never had a chance to see (kind of the stuff of comedic legend). Thanks for that, Chip.

Not having looked at all of the clips, I actually have not qualms with the list. "Funniest" is subjective - but there are so many on that list that are pure classic, and quite a few others I was very pleased to see on the list (kudos to having a couple of Mr. Show clips). Bit disappointed the Upper Class Twit of the Year Monte Python sketch did not get a nod - but I was quite pleased to see the urban idiot on there. Great stuff.

Now, I have some videos to watch...

Unassisted
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Not seeing any Monty Python among the first 30 on the list, I was dubious. The list was redeemed by including 3 classic Monty Python sketches in the top 20. :)

I am surprised that there's absolutely nothing from The Tonight Show. There were some great sketches in the Johnny Carson era, which usually made their way onto the annual primetime specials.

Chip R
04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I am surprised that there's absolutely nothing from The Tonight Show. There were some great sketches in the Johnny Carson era, which usually made their way onto the annual primetime specials.

I didn't think about that but, yeah, that is something of a surprise.

Razor Shines
04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not very far into the list as I end up watching most of the clips, but there have been a few that are hilarious.

I was a little young for Mr. Show, but I like David Cross a lot. That "Pre-Taped Call in Show" was freakin' brilliant. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing, in fact I'm going to have to go back and watch it again.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
How about the SNL sketch with Woody Harrelson where the guys at the beach don't want to take their shirts off for various reasons?

Or the Joe Montana sketch with the best damn punchline ever?

Hi there! I'm Joe Montana.

EddieMilner
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I forgot how much I loved "The State" growing up. That made me miss it. Thanks for the great find.

*BaseClogger*
04-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Great link. I'm gratefull to find a full video of one of the Celebrity Jeopardy sketches! :D

Chip R
04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
The argument to Beethoven's 5th was outstanding. Especially since it was done live.

Johnny Footstool
05-01-2008, 12:06 AM
The Kids in the Hall's "Citizen Kane" is one of my all-time favorites. "Buddy's Softball Team" deserves a mention, too.

Martin Short's delivery of the line "I don't swim" in the SNL "Synchronized Swimming" sketch kills me.

"I'm Rick James" is easily the funniest comedy sketch in the last 10 years.

"Dead Parrot" is probably as indisputable choice for #1 as you can find.

The one sketch that I really wanted to see on the list was "Joke: The Musical" from Mr. Show.

cincinnati chili
05-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Martin Short's delivery of the line "I don't swim" in the SNL "Synchronized Swimming" sketch kills me.

Agreed. I see a lot of Christopher Guest's choreographer character in his later role of "Corky" in Waiting for Guffman, which I loved.

I would tinker with the order of the list, but it's great to see so many of these clips in one place.

OldRightHander
05-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Good to see Python on there that much. I've always been fond of them.

Johnny Footstool
05-01-2008, 09:18 AM
-

chicoruiz
05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
"Celebrity Jeopardy" is descended from an SCTV sketch called "Night School Hi-Q"; if you ever get the chance to see it you won't be disappointed.

Tom Servo
05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
"Celebrity Jeopardy" is descended from an SCTV sketch called "Night School Hi-Q"; if you ever get the chance to see it you won't be disappointed.
Hi-Q was amazing. Flaherty's character Joe McGuiness ruled.

RichRed
05-01-2008, 01:25 PM
-

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

:D

MrCinatit
05-01-2008, 02:30 PM

I was so glad to see SCTV get some love, too - I remember as a teen staying up Friday nights to watch that every week and loving it. The genius of John Candy alone made it worth it, but throw in Flaherty, Thomas, Moranis, O'Hara, Short, Martin and Levy - and at times, it could be pure magic.

marcshoe
05-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure what the original linked site is, but here on this middle school computer I clicked the link and got the message that this site was not allowed and I would be reported!

(probably no big deal; I got the same message when I tried to pull up a picture of Yosemite Valley the other day.)

Rojo
05-01-2008, 03:11 PM

I thought of that one as well. And pre-teen world.

Unassisted
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure what the original linked site is, but here on this middle school computer I clicked the link and got the message that this site was not allowed and I would be reported!
Nerve.com is chock full of NSFW content. That's what I'm told anyway. ;)