PDA

View Full Version : Banning NASCAR during gas crisis......

redsfan1966
05-01-2008, 07:25 PM
I know it has been pretty much bandied about as a joke...but what about it?? If we are in such a crisis concerning gas -- would banning auto racing in the USA be such a bad thing until it (if it ever does) comes under control??

gm
05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Would the prohibition of auto racing lead to a rash of cyber-bootleggers?

"Encrypt the still, here come the revenooers!"

Revering4Blue
05-01-2008, 08:08 PM
It sounds like a good idea to me, at least from a practical standpoint.

Then again, I'd rather spend three hours watching an annual telethon to wipe out dental plaque, so I'm hardly offering an objective opinion.:D

RedFanAlways1966
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
In 2003 the United States used approximately 375 million gallons of gasoline per day. A 500 mile NASCAR race will burn about 4,000 gallons of gasoline. We can probably double the 4,000 gallons when we include practice, qualifying, etc. The amount of gasoline used for each race will amount to around 0.0003% of the gasoline used in the United States for a week. Add in the truck race and the Nationwide race and the number might be 0.001%.

I doubt that the elimination of NASCAR and the like will make a dent (pun intended).

GoReds33
05-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't see it ever happening. We have been through gas shortages, and still havn't banned racing. I doubt that the little amount of gas they use would change anything.

Boston Red
05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Where's the crisis?

KronoRed
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Where's the crisis?

Give it time.

Unassisted
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Far more fuel is used up by fans traveling to attend NASCAR races than by the races themselves. So the same logic to ban auto racing should logically be applied to all sporting events!

It'd be a real shame to be stuck at home due to expensive gas and not have any sporting events to watch on TV. :D

mole44
05-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I think NASCAR should run only hybrids. Maybe even a lil solar power. Maybe then I'd watch. Wait, no I wouldn't.

LoganBuck
05-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Ban NASCAR!! Then Ban the PGA!!

Carmel Nuget!

redsfan1966
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
By the way, I am a Nascar fan.....Reds Fan Always 1966 convinced me with his stats that it really would be pointless to ban auto racing...just a thought...

LoganBuck
05-02-2008, 12:47 AM
By the way, I am a Nascar fan.....Reds Fan Always 1966 convinced me with his stats that it really would be pointless to ban auto racing...just a thought...

You have to start small, plus all the spectators vehicles, recreational vehicles, supply trailers etc.

NASCAR must go, and take those stupid car window stickers with them!

WMR
05-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Where's the crisis?

Wait till you're paying ten bucks a gallon, then you'll see where the crisis is.

*BaseClogger*
05-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Wait till you're paying ten bucks a gallon, then you'll see where the crisis is.

For those that don't need an automobile, the crisis is the increased cost of goods, not gasoline at the pump...

WMR
05-02-2008, 02:01 AM
For those that don't need an automobile, the crisis is the increased cost of goods, not gasoline at the pump...

For sure.

MrCinatit
05-02-2008, 02:14 AM

I haven't driven in years - but my wallet has taken a serious pounding the last couple of years thanks to rising diesel fuel prices, as has everyone else's.

durl
05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I'd rather drill for oil than ban racing.

The only "crisis" will be when the supply runs out. We have a large supply within our borders but the powers that be refuse to let it be obtained.

Gas may be $3.50/gallon but that small portion of the frozen tundra of Alaska is still...well, frozen. The warm fuzzies provided by such knowledge has got to offset some of the pain at the pump. ;)

Boston Red
05-02-2008, 11:44 AM

Yeah, since we're paying about 35% of that amount right now, I'd say we're pretty far from what you'd consider a crisis.

I'd say what we're experiencing with gas prices is nowhere near a crisis yet. Maybe at $5.

KronoRed
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd rather drill for oil than ban racing.

The only "crisis" will be when the supply runs out. We have a large supply within our borders but the powers that be refuse to let it be obtained.

Gas may be $3.50/gallon but that small portion of the frozen tundra of Alaska is still...well, frozen. The warm fuzzies provided by such knowledge has got to offset some of the pain at the pump. ;)

Drilling in Alaska is a waste of time, there MIGHT be a 6 month supply of oil there and it wouldn't be available for years.

Using less Oil is the only way to battle the prices, banning SUV's would be a good start.

durl
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
There's a decent supply of oil in ANWR. Many of the lower estimates come from picking the lowest level of the range and basing it on the amount of oil that can be extracted at a profit if oil costs $20-$30 a barrel.

Back in the late 60's opponents of drilling in another area of Alaska said that there would be a few months of oil there yet the supply remained steady for more than 10 years.

Most reasonable estimates I've seen average to a little more than 10 billion barrels. The higher ends (quite reasonable given the cost of oil these days) would mean 16 billion barrels...equal to 30 years of what we import from Saudi Arabia.

and it wouldn't be available for years.

Exactly right. The policies that have strangled our oil supply began 30 years ago and we're reaping the results. I find it odd that the prognosticators that get the attention of policy-makers are those who espouse doomsday scenarios but are always proven terribly wrong. We need to think long-term, including other energy sources, but I don't believe we should cut off available resources while we research new forms of energy.

gonelong
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Most reasonable estimates I've seen average to a little more than 10 billion barrels. The higher ends (quite reasonable given the cost of oil these days) would mean 16 billion barrels...equal to 30 years of what we import from Saudi Arabia.

The right thing to do is work very hard to find alternatives.

The backup plan is to use the rest of the world's oil before we dip into our own, if it comes to that. Sound thinking IMO.

GL

acredsfan
05-02-2008, 02:00 PM
What really drives me crazy is that we are just now exploring alternative vehicles seriously. Gas engines are really, really inefficient. Personally I am looking forward to Hydrogen powered engines. Hybrids are ok, but when you consider the resources used to make them and the price of a new one, you aren't making as big of an impact by buying one. Especially if you are trading in a newer car for one. You actually cost yourself more money, especially since money is tight for most people to begin with. From what I've researched, most myths about the hydrogen fuelled cars have been proven wrong. They won't explode any easier than a gasoline powered car. Hydrogen has a much higher ignition point. Another plus is a Hydrogen refuelling station would be almost entirely self-relient. That means stations can be unmanned making it possible to put them in places that are remote. There is much more, but I'm in a time crunch, so let me say this. We spend way more time trying to argue against new advances in technology than we do developing them. Oil companies can keep going and slowly switch to the new fuel and not lose money in the process, especially since most people will take at least 5-10 years to convert.

KronoRed
05-02-2008, 02:08 PM
There's a decent supply of oil in ANWR. Many of the lower estimates come from picking the lowest level of the range and basing it on the amount of oil that can be extracted at a profit if oil costs $20-$30 a barrel.

Back in the late 60's opponents of drilling in another area of Alaska said that there would be a few months of oil there yet the supply remained steady for more than 10 years.

Exactly right. The policies that have strangled our oil supply began 30 years ago and we're reaping the results. I find it odd that the prognosticators that get the attention of policy-makers are those who espouse doomsday scenarios but are always proven terribly wrong. We need to think long-term, including other energy sources, but I don't believe we should cut off available resources while we research new forms of energy.You're going on the high end estimates, I took the low..honestly the truth is probably in the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy

But, if 30 years ago we had drilled there then over the last 30 years we would have used all the oil up and I doubt prices or world politics would have played out any different, give this country oil and it uses it.

To me it's a waste of time to try and find every drop of oil to use when the massive amount of money it takes to find said oil and then drill, refine (the real reason prices are so high) transport and sell, could be used to move toward using less oil or no oil, this is going to be a problem that won't just go away until we stop using oil to fuel our cars, till then we will have to make nice with dictators because they have something we desperately need.

AtomicDumpling
05-03-2008, 03:45 PM
There is no reason to ban anything in my opinion, nor is there any need to drill in new locations.

There is no shortage of gasoline. Gasoline and oil are plentiful. You can pull into any gas station in the country and pump as much gas as you want. Increasing drilling is not going to reduce the price of gas.

The oil companies will continue to increase the price of gas until people decide it is bad enough to actually stop buying so much gas. Why wouldn't they charge as much for their product as people are willing to pay?

Think about it. If you were selling a stack of Ken Griffey Jr. baseball cards would you sell them for half of what they are worth? Why would you sell a card for $10 if there were people lined up ready to pay $25 for that card? You would sell those cards for as much as you could, so how can we blame the gas companies for doing the same thing? That is just good old-fashioned American capitalism.

cincinnati chili
05-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I give this thread one hour to get political and two hours to get banned.

GAC
05-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, that's all we need is a bunch of unemployed NASCAR drivers standing in line at the unemployment office looking for work and being asked what previous job skills do they possess?

"I see you have experience in wearing a jump suit and crash helmet Mr Gordon. You're in luck. They need a crash dummy over at the local Ford plant."

http://videodetective.com/photos/009/000413_13.jpg

Or how about this?....

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/52982606.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=1BF91F185F1E7595B087FFB0BCED21CE284831B75F48EF45

OldRightHander
05-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Banning NASCAR and SUVs wouldn't do it. You have to address the real problem and that isn't as much supply and demand as it is the speculators that are driving the price up on the commodities market. End the speculation on oil futures and we might see the price be determined by real market conditions, not by investors who are still trying to make a buck when the stock market cools off.

And yes, the prices of other goods should go up when fuel prices go up. The people buying the diesel fuel need to get paid more for their services when the fuel is costing more. You can't drive down the highway for free. Truckers have bills to pay too, and it's getting harder to pay other bills when you spend so much on fuel just to keep running. I'm on a run from Laredo to Kansas City and it's going to cost me between $250-300 just to do that run. The sad thing is that I'm not getting any more money for it than I would have three months ago when fuel was a lot cheaper.

paintmered
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Banning NASCAR and SUVs wouldn't do it. You have to address the real problem and that isn't as much supply and demand as it is the speculators that are driving the price up on the commodities market. End the speculation on oil futures and we might see the price be determined by real market conditions, not by investors who are still trying to make a buck when the stock market cools off.

The speculation doesn't explain all of the hyperinflation, but a good chunk of it. There's such an oil bubble right now that refineries are producing gasoline at zero or negative profit margin with the lower gasoline demand.

KronoRed
05-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I give this thread one hour to get political and two hours to get banned.

I was trying ;)