PDA

View Full Version : Phrases Which Have Officially Jumped the Shark

PuffyPig
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
I think the following phrases are entirely used too much on Redszone and should be officially retired:

1. "He's scrappy". Even if he is. Especially if he is.
2. "Why is "Player X" hitting leadoff"? Because he is. Learn to accept it.
3. "Why is Dunn hitting 5th"? Because he is. Learn to accept it.
4. "Leatherpants". Just a very bad visual.
5. "Bowden likes "toolsy" players". Bad memories.
6. "Why is Phillips hitting cleanup"? See #2 and #3 above.
7. "Why don't be do a deal with Pena's agent to allow him to be sent to the minors"? I don't know. We should have. I guess we were just too dumb to ask.
8. "Encarnacion should be sent to the minors". No he shouldn't. He never should have either.
9. "Encanacion should be batting cleanup". Yep, but see #6 above.
10. "Dunn should be moved to first base". "Griffey should be moved to first base". "Encarnacion should be moved to first base". Funny, you never hear that Votto should simply stay at first base. And he should.
11. "How can we have 3 catchers on the roster"? Or as I like to refer to it, the "Devil's Triangle". Nuff said about that.
12. "Dave Duncan can fix any pitcher and make him great". I don't care if it's true (it's not, or at least it's not likely true), I don't want to hear it and I don't want to read it.
13. "The Cards are better than the Reds". See #12 above.
14. "Jumped the Shark". I used it here for the last time. I'd consider using it again, but everytime I do I think of Fonzy wearing a bathing suit and a leather jacket. I should be thankful it wasn't a leather bathing suit. Now, Fonzy was "scrappy". But not as scrappy as Mrs. C.

Any others to be added?

princeton
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
"I completely agree with princeton"

I mean, after 500,000 times, it's really understood isn't it?

acredsfan
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree with princeton....

Oh wait, I agree with post number 2.

:cool:

RedsManRick
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
15. "stat guys". Or any of the variations thereof. Scouting and data analysis are simply two different ways to gather information about baseball players, teams, etc. The are not in competition, period. There's no need to categorize those people who choose to use quantitative methods in addition to the qualitative ones. Anybody who chooses to use less information than what is available should be considered suspect - regardless of which bias they show.

An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around. I find that calling people "stat guys", often implying "basement-dwelling", "noses stuck in spreadsheets" and the like, often simple insecure bullying from people who are afraid of the limits of their own knowledge. Using those terms often makes it unclear whether you are simply trying to generalize a person's comfort level with certain types of analysis or if you are participating in the bullying game.

16. "baseball man". This means something different to each person who uses it. However, I find it's generally referring to somebody who has been involved in the game a very long time and who is implied to have special knowledge not accessible to outsiders. Said knowledge is often unarticulated, making it unclear whether the person really does have some great expertise, or whether they are trying to inflate their value out of respect, confusion, or otherwise.

17. "luck". Not entirely, but let's be more accurate with our terms and use "variation", where appropriate. For example, Arroyo has not really been "unlucky" so far this year. However, the performance we've observed from him to date is such that it is within an expected range of variance, given the relatively small sample, even if his true level of skill had not changed at all. Therefore, we cannot conclude that he is likely a worse pitcher (as in less capable) this year than he was last year.

BCubb2003
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I have nothing to say.

nate
05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
"Dusty favors vets"
"Win now"
"Adam Dunn is/isn't....."

and!

"just like I thought"

princeton
05-02-2008, 01:09 PM
An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around.

howdy stranger. Welcome to Redszone.

edabbs44
05-02-2008, 01:13 PM
15. "stat guys". Or any of the variations thereof. Scouting and data analysis are simply two different ways to gather information about baseball players, teams, etc. The are not in competition, period. There's no need to categorize those people who choose to use quantitative methods in addition to the qualitative ones. Anybody who chooses to use less information than what is available should be considered suspect - regardless of which bias they show.

An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around. I find that calling people "stat guys", often implying "basement-dwelling", "noses stuck in spreadsheets" and the like, often simple insecure bullying from people who are afraid of the limits of their own knowledge. Using those terms often makes it unclear whether you are simply trying to generalize a person's comfort level with certain types of analysis or if you are participating in the bullying game.

16. "baseball man". This means something different to each person who uses it. However, I find it's generally referring to somebody who has been involved in the game a very long time and who is implied to have special knowledge not accessible to outsiders. Said knowledge is often unarticulated, making it unclear whether the person really does have some great expertise, or whether they are trying to inflate their value out of respect, confusion, or otherwise.

17. "luck". Not entirely, but let's be more accurate with our terms and use "variation", where appropriate. For example, Arroyo has not really been "unlucky" so far this year. However, the performance we've observed from him to date is such that it is within an expected range of variance, given the relatively small sample, even if his true level of skill had not changed at all. Therefore, we cannot conclude that he is likely a worse pitcher (as in less capable) this year than he was last year.

Whatever you say, stat guy. :)

Rojo
05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
An aside, my personal experience has shown that people versed in the quantitative side are much more appreciative of the value of the qualitative side than the other way around.

I can't argue personal experience, so I won't.

REDREAD
05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
"XYZ says hi"
"Fixed that for you" (after someone edits quoted text).

Now that you know my pet peeves, I expect to see them more often :)

MrCinatit
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
"Roger Clemens has been accused of..."

11larkin11
05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
So the Reds drop game X of the series...

Dan
05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
"I completely agree with princeton"

I mean, after 500,000 times, it's really understood isn't it?

I disagree.

It's 499,999 times, to be precise.

:beerme:

Big Klu
05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
"XYZ says hi"

Those drive me nuts, too!

Tommyjohn25
05-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I say the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark. :cool:

Rojo
05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
"XYZ says hi"

I'm starting to really hate when people write "but...but...but" to segway to sarcasm.

redsmetz
05-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Hmm, let me think...

15. "stat guys". Or any of the variations thereof.

Would that be someone like this?

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/BB469.jpg

16. "baseball man". This means something different to each person who uses it.

One of these guys?

http://www.baseballroadtrip.net/Major/National/Cincinnati/images/PICT0011.jpghttp://baseballminutia.com/images/head.gif

Note: Mr. Redleg illustration copped from WOY's web page http://baseballminutia.com/

StillFunkyB
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
"Plays the game the right way"

I would LOVE to never hear, or read that again.

KronoRed
05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
"He strikes out too much"
"He's LAZY"
"He's clutch/unclutch"
"He's not in your face enough"

PuffyPig
05-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I say the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark. :cool:

See #14.

Tommyjohn25
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
See #14.

Boy...is my face red.... :D

Unassisted
05-02-2008, 05:25 PM
7. "Why don't be do a deal with Pena's agent to allow him to be sent to the minors"? I don't know. We should have. I guess we were just too dumb to ask.You've missed the point of the lame joke associated with this one in RedsZone lexicon, PP. Since Pena was out of options when the Reds acquired him and couldn't be sent down under baseball rules, the reference is usually intended to be a backhanded slap at a newbie question with a seemingly obvious answer, that's obviously wrong to those in the know. Since fronthanded slaps generally result in moderator action, this is a sneaky-snarky putdown that gets around the rules because of its apparent humor.

jojo
05-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm starting to really hate when people write "but...but...but" to segway to sarcasm.

I agree with you....but......but......but.....

I think you meant "segue"

This is a segway:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7153/segwayskater32560zx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:D

:beerme:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance004.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Rojo
05-02-2008, 05:47 PM
No I meant "segway". Those things are a menace.

jojo
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Jr to Seattle....

Jr to Seattle for something really valuable in return......

Jr to anywhere for something really valuable in return........

The Rays are a pathetic organization without a plan that will never be successful.

Edskin
05-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Basically anything George Grande says

Hap
05-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Anything Thommarty says......

Spitball
05-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Posters who say, "...and that's a fact" when they are actually stating a reasoned judgment based on facts.

Cooper
05-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Anytime Brantley says something in that faux southern drawl that's supposed to sound homespun and Will Roger-ish. It comes off about as real as Lonesome Rhodes in "A Face in the Crowd". I can hardly listen to the man without thinking "he's not really a cowboy and he never used to speak with a southern accent so why is he using one now?"

Maybe it's just me. Sorry if I offended anyone who really likes him.

redsmetz
05-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Anytime Brantley says something in that faux southern drawl that's supposed to sound homespun and Will Roger-ish. It comes off about as real as Lonesome Rhodes in "A Face in the Crowd". I can hardly listen to the man without thinking "he's not really a cowboy and he never used to speak with a southern accent so why is he using one now?"

Maybe it's just me. Sorry if I offended anyone who really likes him.

Oh, you're talking about Jeff Brantley. I thought you meant some other prominent person who is in the public eye all the time. :)

Spring~Fields
05-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Just about any quotes from Dusty, especially if it involves offense. :rolleyes:

sonny
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
"XYZ says hi"

Now that you know my pet peeves, I would love to see them more often :)

Fixed that for ya.:thumbup:
:p:

Chip R
05-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Anytime Brantley says something in that faux southern drawl that's supposed to sound homespun and Will Roger-ish. It comes off about as real as Lonesome Rhodes in "A Face in the Crowd".

Good movie.

*BaseClogger*
05-02-2008, 09:41 PM
"Search the archives." :thumbdown

(from the noob--I don't know what threads I'm searching for!)

cincyinco
05-03-2008, 03:41 AM
There's a couple things lately that have seemed to irk me for one reason or another..

The insistent calls of "trade dunn for kemp" - its a good idea, but thats all it is.. its not even a rumor.

"Stubbs is a bust" even while he's breaking out a bit in a pitcher's league. yeah yeah, i'm not trying to stir up an argument. I just wish there was a more steady evaluation approach to prospects around here.

Agree with several of the other one's on here too. Good stuff.

GAC
05-03-2008, 04:04 AM
"So let it be written. So let it be done"
http://dannymiller.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/04/04/yul1.jpg

Chip R
05-03-2008, 09:00 AM
"So let it be written. So let it be done"

You know, if you don't like my Hot Stove League show reports, then just don't read them. :p:

jojo
05-03-2008, 09:10 AM
You know, if you don't like my Hot Stove League show reports, then just don't read them. :p:

I adore those things....they kind of remind me of the mystery science theater 3000 which I really enjoyed......

Frankly all your Hot Stove League show reports are missing IMHO, is a robot.

REDREAD
05-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Richard Hand set the bar really high with the Hot Stove League reports. He's a tough act to follow. Don't feel so bad.

Chip R
05-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Richard Hand set the bar really high with the Hot Stove League reports. He's a tough act to follow. Don't feel so bad.

It's always something to shoot for, though.

REDREAD
05-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Fixed that for ya.:thumbup:
:p:

:angry:
:)

Joseph
05-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Time to send 'x' packing

Spring~Fields
05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
"The Reds lost another one".........is getting to be a very old tune. :(

CrackerJack
05-04-2008, 12:28 AM
"Together again"

Topcat
05-04-2008, 06:41 AM
FCB owes us a round, FCB has yet to produce the child owed to us.

membengal
05-04-2008, 08:03 AM
"This one belongs to the Reds."

Will M
05-04-2008, 08:11 AM
"This one belongs to the Reds."

:laugh:

NJReds
05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Time to send 'x' packing

:thumbup:

Hap
05-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Deion Sanders is an automatic triple every time he gets on base.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-04-2008, 09:32 PM
"It's only 30 games into the season."

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

cincrazy
05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
"GABP is a hitters friendly ballpark."

Enough already. We get it. Seriously.

cincyinco
05-05-2008, 01:27 AM
"we need to maximize the players in the lineup"

OldRightHander
05-05-2008, 06:09 AM
"I love me some X" or "He loves him some X"

What's wrong with just saying "I love X"?

jojo
05-05-2008, 08:04 AM
"I found it in the last place I looked"....

Let's hope so......:cool: