PDA

View Full Version : Friday May 2nd minor league updates

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Dayton, Sarasota (Gonzalez), and Louisville (Maloney) are all about to get underway.

Chattanooga plays at 8:05 with Daryl Thompson pitching.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
David Weathers is starting the game tonight for Dayton. I'm sure it will be a one or two inning stint.

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Weathers got them 1-2-3 in the first.

Keltavious Jones had a double, Waring had a walk but the Dragons couldn't score.

Matt Klinker in the game now for the Dragons.

Aronchis
05-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Early seasonal evidence say teams have to be happy the Reds passed on trading Jay Bruce while they blew a golden chance with Homer Bailey.

Weird how things workout. It will be interesting to see if it stays that way.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Anyone know how to use the ignore feature?

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Early seasonal evidence say teams have to be happy the Reds passed on trading Jay Bruce while they blew a golden chance with Homer Bailey.

Weird how things workout.

What are you talking about? Teams should be happy the Reds didn't trade Jay Bruce? Yeah, teams outside of the NL Central so they don't have to see him 25 times a year.

CTA513
05-02-2008, 07:28 PM

click view profile and you can select to add that person to your buddy list or put them on ignore.

dougdirt

go to your user CP, its in there.

OnBaseMachine
Thanks guys.

Aronchis
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Right back to ya. It is probably for the best we don't watch each other post. We simply disagree to heavily.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Rafael Gonzalez threw a scoreless first inning with a walk and strikeout.

Aronchis
05-02-2008, 07:37 PM
What are you talking about? Teams should be happy the Reds didn't trade Jay Bruce? Yeah, teams outside of the NL Central so they don't have to see him 25 times a year.

The point is Jay isn't looking like the super-prospect anymore. Now he is looking like a green 21 year old hitter who can't handle offspeed pitches very well. It may not be fair, but I think Princeton said it the best: we expected so much more.

Bailey on the otherhand limited himself a bit and used April as a workshop. Once he gets his fastball underneath him, he should take off.

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:40 PM
The point is Jay isn't looking like the super-prospect anymore. Now he is looking like a green 21 year old hitter who can't handle offspeed pitches very well. It may not be fair, but I think Princeton said it the best: we expected so much more.

Bailey on the otherhand limited himself a bit and used April as a workshop. Once he gets his fastball underneath him, he should take off.

I think you might be crazy. No one but you thinks Bruce isn't the best prospect in all of baseball.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Maloney: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
The best prospect in baseball is 0-for-1 tonight with his 7th stolen base in seven tries.

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Maloney: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Good stuff. Lets hope he can keep it up, he could use a few strong outings in a row.

SMcGavin
05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Back to the games, Maloney is through 2 innings scoreless with two hits allowed and two strikeouts. Bruce reached on a fielder's choice earlier and stole second base (7th of the year).

SMcGavin
05-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Good stuff. Lets hope he can keep it up, he could use a few strong outings in a row.

Yep, and his BABIP is a ridiculous .435 right now so the results should be turning around soon. His FIP is actually 2.51.

Aronchis
05-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I think you might be crazy. No one but you thinks Bruce isn't the best prospect in all of baseball.

I don't know. Things change. The Reds did a great a great marketing job on Bruce in the offseason and talking up his time in AAA from his age standpoint. The problem is now they have the book and him and it is evolving. He has a good swing, that is for sure, but his plate discipline hasn't grown much. It is possible a Jeff Francoeur type of ceiling(with more power?) is his upside. That isn't that bad. But it isn't what was expected of him. Maybe we need to temper hope with reality.

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Yep, and his BABIP is a ridiculous .435 right now so the results should be turning around soon. His FIP is actually 2.51.
Yeah, not allowing a HR all year will certainly help that out. Things will begin to normalize for him as the season progresses along.

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't know. Things change. The Reds did a great a great marketing job on Bruce in the offseason and talking up his time in AAA from his age standpoint. The problem is now they have the book and him and it is evolving. He has a good swing, that is for sure, but his plate discipline hasn't grown much. It is possible a Jeff Francoeur type of ceiling(with more power?) is his upside. That isn't that bad. But it isn't what was expected of him. Maybe we need to temper hope with reality.

I don't think he is a Francoeur type. Frenchy swings at everything, ala Brandon Phillips. Bruce isn't that type of hitter. Bruce doesn't have bad plate discipline. He just doesn't walk much. There is a big difference between the two types of players.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Maloney: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

Aronchis
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think he is a Francoeur type. Frenchy swings at everything, ala Brandon Phillips. Bruce isn't that type of hitter. Bruce doesn't have bad plate discipline. He just doesn't walk much. There is a big difference between the two types of players.

Yeah, but not taking walks is not good plate discipline. Jay may be able to hit for 320 average at some point in the majors, but the ones that walk 100 times with it are the true gods of baseball. Jay looks like a cut below it right now.

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Dayton goes up 2-0 in the 4th with runners on the corners with 2 outs.

dougdirt
05-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but not taking walks is not good plate discipline. Jay may be able to hit for 320 average at some point in the majors, but the ones that walk 100 times with it are the true gods of baseball. Jay looks like a cut below it right now.

No, not swinging at pitches out of the zone is good plate discipline. Jay doesn't do that much.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
BTW, coming into tonight, Shaun Cumberland is hitting .364/.468/.606 - 1.074 OPS through 66 atbats in Chattanooga.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Rafael Gonzalez got roughed up:

3 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K

His night is over.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Brandon Waring has walked in both his plate appearances.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Valaika is 1-for-2 with a double. He's got 15 XBH (9 doubles, 6 homeruns) in 118 atbats.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Daryl Thompson throws a 1-2-3 first inning with three groundouts.

Volquez has 6 K's through 3.

DTCromer
05-02-2008, 08:26 PM
It appears Aronchis has struck a nerve with quite a few people around here. I actually somewhat agree with his assessment. Notice he says something about Bailey and no one really disagrees, but he says something negative about the Golden Boy and everyone goes nuts.

As I stated a few weeks, one of the worst AB's I've ever seen was with Jay a few weeks ago in Indy. The guy's plate discipline isn't great. He still needs to improve.

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:48 PM
1-2-3 second inning for Thompson with 2 K's.

2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Maloney's night is done: 4.1 IP, 7 H, 5 H, 3 BB, 4 K

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Thompson: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K

SMcGavin
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Maloney's night is done: 4.1 IP, 7 H, 5 H, 3 BB, 4 K

Gave up a three run homer to Joe Borchard on his last batter. ERA is now 7.24 - he's pitched a lot better than that but it looks ugly for now.

fearofpopvol1
05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
OBM, I love your updates, but just a suggestion...when you do pitcher updates, can you indicate whether or not the runs the pitcher has given up is ERs or not? I assume they are, but since you just have it down as "R," I never know. Just a thought. Thanks for your updates.

How is Thompson now?

Aronchis
05-02-2008, 10:11 PM
It appears Aronchis has struck a nerve with quite a few people around here. I actually somewhat agree with his assessment. Notice he says something about Bailey and no one really disagrees, but he says something negative about the Golden Boy and everyone goes nuts.

As I stated a few weeks, one of the worst AB's I've ever seen was with Jay a few weeks ago in Indy. The guy's plate discipline isn't great. He still needs to improve.

Thanks. His start is not what was envisioned nor what the Reds needed. Worst case happening with Jay right now. As Princeton said again, we expected so much.

Aronchis
05-02-2008, 10:12 PM
OBM, I love your updates, but just a suggestion...when you do pitcher updates, can you indicate whether or not the runs the pitcher has given up is ERs or not? I assume they are, but since you just have it down as "R," I never know. Just a thought. Thanks for your updates.

How is Thompson now?

6I 4H 2R 1ER 1BB 6K

OnBaseMachine
05-02-2008, 10:15 PM

How is Thompson now?

If a pitcher doesn't allow any unearned runs then I just list it as "R". If they allow unearned runs then I always list ER instead of R.

Blue
05-02-2008, 10:15 PM

Jay Bruce: a cut below a god of baseball. Loser.

fearofpopvol1
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
If a pitcher doesn't allow any unearned runs then I just list it as "R". If they allow unearned runs then I always list ER instead of R.

Oh okay, I must not have caught on to that before. Good work.

Homer Bailey
05-02-2008, 10:22 PM
OBM please keep it up and put Aronchis on your ignore list. I did it tonight and it made this thread a lot more enjoyable. You and doug make this forum happen.

Superdude
05-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Can we back off Aronchis for once? If he was just saying stuff like, "Jay Bruce sucks!" every night, that would be annoying, but he usually has a point behind it. Jay Bruce has had terrible on base skills so far this year. I personally don't think that will continue, but to blast someone just for having an unpopular opinion seems a little temperamental.

dougdirt
05-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Can we back off Aronchis for once? If he was just saying stuff like, "Jay Bruce sucks!" every night, that would be annoying, but he usually has a point behind it. Jay Bruce has had terrible on base skills so far this year. I personally don't think that will continue, but to blast someone just for having an unpopular opinion seems a little temperamental.

Yeah, but there is a difference between bad plate discipline and not taking walks. Thats all I have been saying to Aronchis.

reds44
05-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Jay Bruce has been an outs machine in 2008.

Fact.

fearofpopvol1
05-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Pretty good effort from Thompson tonight. Looks like he may not have had his best stuff, but those are still very good numbers.

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Thompson 6.0 5 3 1 1 6 0 0.72

cincyinco
05-03-2008, 03:51 AM

Thank you Superdude, lets not let this turn into the big league game threads. ;)

Aronchis may shoot from the hip with some comments a little bit, but try to read between the lines and think about what he says.. its not always that off the cuff.

Earlier he made a post about Jay Bruce being a cut below the true gods of baseball. I understand what he's saying, not that I necessarily agree. But I can see why he says perhaps we need to temper enthusiasm a bit. What if he doesn't turn into the mega star we thought? Anybody remember Greg Jeffries? Things happen. The true stars of this game have the great eye to go along with the great bat, and while I think Bruce has a great bat already, I think he has the potential for even more. And I think he can harness a bit more of it at AAA.

Jay Bruce is probably expected to be too much too soon, and who knows. Don't rush the kid. There's still things he could learn at AAA I think, and if we're not going anywhere then let him learn. Especially if thats a decision that DOES let him progress into the upper echelon where most of the opinion on this board seems to agree he will be and/or already is.

I'm not saying I agree with this point or even most thing Aronchis has to say, but I see where he's comin from on this one and my general overall point is if you don't just react to the melodrama of the post then its something I have found worthwhile and apprecitive of.

Aronchis, you and I may not see eye to eye on things and I may think you're loco about other things, but you'll never be on my ignore list.

membengal
05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Well, he is on a bunch of ours, because the comments tend to be ceaslessly, unendingly, negative. This forum has been a joy since I found the ignore feature.

Which brings me to this simple request:

Please, people, stop quoting his posts when responding to them. If you don't mind him, fine. No big deal. But a lot of us do. And it defeats a very useful feature when you do that. Go ahead and converse/argue with him, if that is your desire. But please respect those of us that are trying to be civil by simply ignoring.

Thanks.