PDA

View Full Version : Dusty's tenure with the Reds

Wheelhouse
05-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Based on Casts recent willingness to pull the trigger (and eat money,) and the fact that he works for a GM who didn't hire him I think this is a valid question.

RedFanAlways1966
05-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I don't think so. Jocketty was a hired gun who just happened to know (and have his respect) Cast very well. He just happened to become available and was hired in a "special role". The handwriting seemed to be on the wall. I do not see the same situation in regard to the manager as this point. Krivsky was there for a bit longer and if you believe the stories had some personality problems.

Same bad team, totally different situations for the GM and manager.

Joseph
05-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Can we at least let the man manage 40-50 games before we call for his head?

KronoRed
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM

I wanted him fired before game one, everyone off my bandwagon!! :D

kbrake
05-03-2008, 12:43 AM

I understand what you're saying and usually I would agree with you but seriously if after a month of games this man cant tell this lineup is a bad one then I am going to think he has issues. I have no doubt that after 40-50 games a .290 OBP guy will still be leading off. I like Dusty in interviews, he sounds better than what we have had but his lineups are a complete nightmare.

WVRedsFan
05-03-2008, 12:57 AM
So far, I haven't seen anything that warrants his firing. His lineup construction is very poor, but as I watched several games tonight, I see that almost everywhere. Besides, the lineup is not this team's problem--it's the personnel. If you want a good fielding center fielder, you have Corey Patterson. If you do not, you get Ryan Freel or Norris Hopper. Not good. The fact that he leads off is frustrating, but that doesn't explain the fact that Keppinger, Griffey, and Dunn are not hitting. that also doesn't explain the three less than major league catchers we have.

This team is poorly constructed. I do not believe any manager could win with the personnel we now have. Everyone wanted pitching and defense and what they got was an American League team with decent pitching and no punch. You have to hope Keppinger, Griffey and Dunn start hitting, the catching situation improves, and they find a center fielder who can hit and field.

I imagine Walt Jocketty is working on this now.

Wheelhouse
05-03-2008, 01:08 AM

This is not a call for his head--the option is there in the poll to say he will have a long a fruitful career with the team. As stated in my initial post, I think it's a valid question to ask given recent circumstances. It's my opinion that if Jocketty wanted to he could go to go to ownership and say, "You have to let me have my own guy in there." They really couldn't say no, no matter what Dusty is getting paid.

AmarilloRed
05-03-2008, 01:39 AM
He is here until the 3 year contract is up.

WMR
05-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Every night when I say my prayers, I close with "And please God, turn Dusty Baker into a bird and make him fly far, far, far away from here."

GAC
05-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Everyone knows my position on Baker. I'd love to get behind the guy (with a huge piece of hickory). But calling for his head after one month is simply typical over-reaction.

He was Bob C's guy. If this team is still struggling badly at the halfway point next season, then Bob might entertain it. But there ain't no way it will happen this year.

Spring~Fields
05-03-2008, 07:46 AM
I'd love to get behind the guy (with a huge piece of hickory).

:lol:

Dusty is a difference maker ;) kind of a guy.

If Jocketty gets Dusty a bunch of really good players, we don't have to give him credit for winning do we?

Highlifeman21
05-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I really hate polls where you can't see the public results.....

The Dusty's here until he wants to leave. Maybe it's his 3 year contract, maybe Cincy is the last team he skippers, who knows?

I was crazy and liked Dave Miley. I didn't care for Boone or Narron. So in my book, it looks like The Dusty, Miley, Boone, Narron (in that order).

RFS62
05-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I think he's here for a long time.

GAC
05-03-2008, 10:34 AM

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Ewing-Galloway/Portrait-of-Baby-Crying-Photographic-Print-C12140105.jpeg

jojo
05-03-2008, 10:49 AM

:cool:

I think there is a much bigger chance that Dusty is given more "tools" than he is fired any time soon.

If win now is the impetus, trades are the route for biggest change in '08 and Homer/Bruce and some others on the farm are the big chips if the goal is to add to the roster. Who knows what might happen if rehaping is the the goal.....Harang, Cueto, Volquez, EE, Phillips, Votto all could be chips and Dunn/Jr might be dumped (I just don't see how they get big returns given age/contract status issues). If Jocketty put a combination of Harang/Cueto/Phillips/Votto/EE /Bruce/Homer etc on the market, the return could be extraordinary.

There's no doubt in my mind that a skilled GM could leverage the current Reds into something better. I don't know how many GMs would have the guts though.

If '09 is the target, maybe we'll see something dramatic in free agency.

KronoRed
05-03-2008, 03:24 PM

No doubt, he's a 'winner'