PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Dusty Baker Fan Confidence Poll - Month 2

LoganBuck
05-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I posted a similar poll the first week of the season and plan on doing so each month. What is your opinion of Dusty Baker?

dougdirt
05-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Still think he sucks. He is a people person, not a baseball team manager.

oneupper
05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't like him as a manager.
But as FDR reportedly said about Somoza: "He's OUR S.O.B."

jojo
05-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Meh...only superb or atrocious managers really impact wins in a consistent fashion....Dusty is somewhere in the middle I guess and his sins probably mostly are erased by those of opposing managers.

Now if someone wanted to argue the issue from an opportunity cost stand point, that might have some legs....

LoganBuck
05-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Meh...only superb or atrocious managers really impact wins in a consistent fashion....Dusty is somewhere in the middle I guess and his sins probably mostly are erased by those of opposing managers.

Now if someone wanted to argue the issue from an opportunity cost stand point, that might have some legs....

I think we are getting to the atrocious point. The lineup construction and random bench player playing time is disconcerting at least. He has shown nothing in the recent past (the end of his stint with the Cubs) to suggest a change for the better.

What this team has wasted in terms of run support for the pitching that they have gotten, and his blind-squirrel-finds-a-nut-every-now-and-then lineups are driving me crazy.

bucksfan2
05-03-2008, 04:03 PM
You have to play with the hand your delt. The Reds were a poorly constructed club and it is really showing. When going well they can play with any team in the NL. When going bad they are an absolute train wreck. I don't fault Dusty for the team's faults. Its true that Dusty watned Patterson and hits him leadoff but in reality it is a moot point when you consider the complete lack of production from Jr, Dunn, and Philliips.

edabbs44
05-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Dusty ain't the biggest problem here. Not even close.

RedsManRick
05-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with his handling of the pitching staff, both rotation and bullpen. However, he is single-handedly keeping the offense stagnant through his lineup choices and strategy decisions. I'm not exactly pleased with him, but it could've been worse. I'm pretty much holding my breath. At least he hasn't broken anybody... yet.

edabbs44
05-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with his handling of the pitching staff, both rotation and bullpen. However, he is single-handedly keeping the offense stagnant through his lineup choices and strategy decisions. I'm not exactly pleased with him, but it could've been worse. I'm pretty much holding my breath. At least he hasn't broken anybody... yet.

Single-handedly?

No offense, but give me a break.

Spring~Fields
05-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I want to comment on the poll.

I think that is one of the best worded polls that I have seen on RZ.

In addition it appears that the respondents have been very reasonable in kind, with no real questionable swings, I mean it seems entirely well thought out and balanced and very interesting.

As far as Dusty, each of you have covered it well I feel.

GAC
05-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I think he has done a good job in handling the pitching overall. Unless he decides to bat one of them lead off.

But the rest?....

http://www.epikone.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/frustration.jpg

That is all. ;)

AmarilloRed
05-04-2008, 02:04 AM
I am discouraged to say the least. The lineup construction was pretty bad, and he played a part in bringing Patterson to Cincinnati. That has not impressed me so far. It has only been 1 month, but he has some work to do. I do agree he has done a good job of managing the rotation, and not over-doing the pitch counts. There were quite a few people who were concerned about that.

Bob Borkowski
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
bump