PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton named AL Player of the Month for April '08

Unassisted
05-03-2008, 07:11 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/news.aspx?id=4148067

Hamilton named AL Player of the Month
New York, NY (Sports Network) - Texas Ranger outfielder Josh Hamilton was named the American League Player of the Month for April.

Hamilton earned his first-ever monthly honor by posting a .330 batting average with an MLB-best 32 runs batted in by the end of April. He also led the American League in total bases (68), hits (38), and extra base hits (17) in the span.

The 26-year-old is the first Rangers player to win the monthly award since Mark Teixeira in July 2004, and the first Texas outfielder to win it since Juan Gonzalez in September 1997.

Others receiving votes were Boston outfielder Manny Ramirez, Chicago White Sox outfielder Carlos Quentin, and Angels first baseman Casey Kotchman.

Additionally, Cleveland Indians left-hander Cliff Lee was named the AL Pitcher of the Month, the first monthly honor of his career, after winning all five of his April starts. In 37.2 innings, he allowed just one home run, 19 hits and two walks, while posting 32 strikeouts and 0.96 ERA.

oneupper
05-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Could Volquez be NL Pitcher of the Month?

wally post
05-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Good for Josh. I'm still happy we have Volquez!

HumnHilghtFreel
05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Could Volquez be NL Pitcher of the Month?

I'm going to guess it will be Brandon "6 and 0 in a month" Webb.

I'm glad to see Hamilton having success. It's a lot easier to see him have success when the guy we got in return for him is arguably doing just as well.

HokieRed
05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I like Volquez but we'd be a better team with Josh.

CTA513
05-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Without Volquez the Reds would have both Fogg and Belisle in the rotation.

Chip R
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Good for Josh!

OnBaseMachine
05-03-2008, 08:28 PM

How do you figure that?

HokieRed
05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Without Volquez we might have Homer in the rotation. If we'd kept Josh and moved some other people before their value fell off the table, we'd have had a whole lot of money to spend on pitching. Don't mistake what I'm saying. I love Volquez, but this team/organization has been in denial about its everyday players and it's past time to make moves for the future, beginning with moving tonight's 2 and 6 hitters. I believe in a longer term view and I had hoped the 2010 outfield would be Hamilton, Stubbs, and Bruce. Votto, Phillips, Keppinger (maybe), Edwin and a significant upgrade behind the plate. Rotation Harang, Cueto, Bailey, two starters picked up for the 25 million now going to two non-producing outfielders. With that team by 2010 we might have been credible. Now we are not and we're no closer to being good than we were last year, although Jocketty has a chance still if he moved Dunn and Griffey for something and then, more importantly, uses the salary savings to add the kinds of players we need.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Without Volquez we might have Homer in the rotation.

And without Hamilton, we might have Harang, Volquez, Cueto and Homer in the rotation. I'll take the pitching.

4256 Hits
05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
That begs to question just how good could Hamilton been if he would not have waisted so many years on drugs?

HokieRed
05-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Our #2 and 6 hitter just K'd in the middle of what could have been a productive inning.

klw
05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Brandon Webb, who was 6-0 with a 1.98 ERA in April, has been voted National League Pitcher of the Month.
Webb's six wins led the National League, his 1.98 ERA ranked fourth in the N.L. and he tied for fourth with 41.0 innings pitched, in which the two-time All-Star recorded 34 strikeouts and allowed nine earned runs, 29 hits and 14 walks. On April 27th at San Diego, matched up against Jake Peavy in a duel between the last two N.L. Cy Young Award recipients, Brandon gave up one unearned on five hits run en route to a 2-1 victory and his sixth win of the season. The last pitcher to end April with six wins was Webb's current Diamondbacks teammate Randy Johnson, who concluded April of 2002 with a 6-0 mark.

Other pitchers receiving votes were Cincinnati's Edinson Volquez (4-1, 1.27 ERA, 42 SO), San Francisco's Tim Lincecum (4-1, 1.73 ERA, 40 SO) and Milwaukee's Ben Sheets (4-0, 1.64 ERA, 26 SO). Brandon Webb will receive a specially designed trophy and a Sharp AQUOS® HD LCD-TV to commemorate his N.L. Pitcher of the Month performance.

HokieRed
05-03-2008, 09:02 PM
12-18. Only thing that matters.

reds44
05-03-2008, 09:20 PM
12-18. Only thing that matters.
And what exactly is your point?

The Rangers are on a three game winning streak just to get to 12-18.

HokieRed
05-03-2008, 10:01 PM
My point was said above. I think WK, like others in the organization and on these boards, vastly overestimated the offensive talent on this team. The organization has been in denial, thinking it could trade a player of Hamilton's talent and just pick up what it had given away with the likes of Griffey and Dunn. I would much rather have kept Hamilton, suffered through this year, made what kinds of moves one could make with Griffey and Dunn, and then used the money to rebuild the starting pitching. This is not a knock on Volquez, who looks like the most promising young starter we've had in quite a while. But, on this club, giving up Hamilton was too much. We are not competitive and, unless Jocketty can make some very good moves and soon, we will not be next year.

reds44
05-03-2008, 10:02 PM
So why can't the Reds suffer through this year, move Griffey and Dunn, and then use the money to rebuild the offense?

It's much easier to build and acquire your offense than it is pitching.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-03-2008, 10:45 PM
So why can't the Reds suffer through this year, move Griffey and Dunn, and then use the money to rebuild the offense?

It's much easier to build and acquire your offense than it is pitching.

Not saying that it's his reason, but I think a lot of people just grew too attached to Hamilton because of all the things that came with him. I did too, but I realize it's a business. I like the move they made and I agree that building with pitching is the way to go.

Reds1
05-04-2008, 12:25 AM

No way! We'd have 2 less wins right now!

vaticanplum
05-04-2008, 12:27 AM
I wish Hamilton were on a better team.

Topcat
05-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Love this and way to go Josh! wish you still were a Red but the demand was you sadly :(. If it was homer I would have felt awful but far more happier at this moment in time.

Chip R
05-04-2008, 12:56 PM
My point was said above. I think WK, like others in the organization and on these boards, vastly overestimated the offensive talent on this team. The organization has been in denial, thinking it could trade a player of Hamilton's talent and just pick up what it had given away with the likes of Griffey and Dunn. I would much rather have kept Hamilton, suffered through this year, made what kinds of moves one could make with Griffey and Dunn, and then used the money to rebuild the starting pitching. This is not a knock on Volquez, who looks like the most promising young starter we've had in quite a while. But, on this club, giving up Hamilton was too much. We are not competitive and, unless Jocketty can make some very good moves and soon, we will not be next year.

I think the point that most people miss when wishing that Josh was back is that he only played in 80 some games last year for the Reds. Some of those were as a pinch hitter and some were as a defensive replacement. But a lot of the time he ws either injured or didn't play even though he was healthy. Yet this was still a prety darn good offense. I think it was a helluva accomplishment to play as well as he did - and is doing now - with little minor league experience and coming off several years in the wilderness, so to speak. I don't think it was a mistake to assume that trading a guy who only played about 65 full games was going to make this offense go into the tank like it has. Another thing to remember, Josh is only one player. Put him back in the Reds lineup, he bats 3rd comes up with a runner on in the first and he drives him home. Now that's much better than what the current Reds are doing but it's only 1 run and Josh doesn't get to bat again for another couple or three innings. Of course if he was still with the Reds, he'd be playing CF and since Dusty's the manager, he'd be leading off. Not a lot of RBI opportunities in that leadoff spot.

membengal
05-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Hard not to be happy for Josh.

Hard not to be happy for Volquez.

The Reds apparently could not have gotten Volquez without letting loose Hamilton. I think both teams were right to demand what they got in return. And I will never mind the Reds trying to upgrade their pitching.

Win win win, as Michael Scott would say.

fearofpopvol1
05-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Personally, I think Volquez should've been the NL pitcher of the month. I know Webb is 6-0, but Volquez has a better ERA and more Ks and if the Reds offense had scored him some runs, he for sure would've been 5-0 or 6-0.

I know that's not the way it works when it comes to sizing up pitchers, but Volquez's numbers (ouside of W/L) are better.

I still love the trade, even with Hamilton succeeding (thus far). Had the trade not been made, it's possible the Reds may not even have 10 wins right now.

Jpup
05-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Glad the Reds traded that guy. He'll never amount to anything. :(

MikeS21
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Hard not to be happy for Josh.

Hard not to be happy for Volquez.

The Reds apparently could not have gotten Volquez without letting loose Hamilton. I think both teams were right to demand what they got in return. And I will never mind the Reds trying to upgrade their pitching.

Win win win, as Michael Scott would say.
I'm not so sure the Reds had to let Josh go in order to get Volquez. I keep reading where the Rangers were really starting to sour on Volquez. They loved his arm, but were greatly concerned about control issues and some felt he was more of a two pitch pitcher and destined for the bullpen.

Looking back, I think the Reds could have made an offer of say, Maloney and Stubbs and perhaps one other decent prospect, and possibly would have gotten Volquez. I also wonder if the Reds could have offered Adam Dunn and got Volquez ina return package.

Spring~Fields
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Good for Josh. I'm still happy we have Volquez!

Yes, I am very happy for both of them, I really love it to see them both doing well.

cumberlandreds
05-05-2008, 09:46 AM
This is a rare win/win trade for both teams. The Reds needed pitching and got it. We may view this trade differently in a few years but for now both teams got what they needed.

blumj
05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm not so sure the Reds had to let Josh go in order to get Volquez. I keep reading where the Rangers were really starting to sour on Volquez. They loved his arm, but were greatly concerned about control issues and some felt he was more of a two pitch pitcher and destined for the bullpen.

Looking back, I think the Reds could have made an offer of say, Maloney and Stubbs and perhaps one other decent prospect, and possibly would have gotten Volquez. I also wonder if the Reds could have offered Adam Dunn and got Volquez ina return package.
Looking back, I'm not so sure the Rangers had to give up Volquez in order to get Hamilton. I keep reading how the Reds were getting tired of having to babysit him. I think they could have made an offer of Kason Gabbard and Engel Beltre and maybe one other decent prospect, and possibly would have had enough to get Hamilton.

VR
05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Looking back, I'm not so sure the Rangers had to give up Volquez in order to get Hamilton. I keep reading how the Reds were getting tired of having to babysit him. I think they could have made an offer of Kason Gabbard and Engel Beltre and maybe one other decent prospect, and possibly would have had enough to get Hamilton.

I don't live in Cincy, so other than fan speculation....where were those reports?

kaldaniels
05-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Pure speculation on your part...but when Krivisky's firing occured someone in the Ranger organaztion spoke about how insistent Krivsky was on getting Volquez. It really sounded like it was hard to pry him away. Pure specualtion on my part here, but I like Maloney,Stubbs, and prospect X would have been laughed at by TX.

blumj
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't live in Cincy, so other than fan speculation....where were those reports?
I was just counter-speculating to make the point that you can do that with both sides of any trade, but it doesn't make it true. I remember hearing that the Rangers and Twins were both interested in Hamilton, and that the Twins were also interested in Delmon Young.

red-in-la
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
The biggest thing that stumps me about how this board looks at this trade is that you mostly endorse sending away a guy (Hamilton) who is doing just what you would have expected for a prospect pitcher (Volquez) who is still a question makr, even after a fine first month.

But, those same posters thought it was a bad (no, a terrible) idea to send away a prospect outfielder (Bruce) for a proven pitcher (Bedard).

Meanwhile, we have Fogg, Arroyo and Affledt as our choices to watch start the latest Reds loss and Bruce is striking out in AAA......and lots of folks are already saying wait till next year.

fearofpopvol1
05-05-2008, 02:15 PM
The biggest thing that stumps me about how this board looks at this trade is that you mostly endorse sending away a guy (Hamilton) who is doing just what you would have expected for a prospect pitcher (Volquez) who is still a question makr, even after a fine first month.

But, those same posters thought it was a bad (no, a terrible) idea to send away a prospect outfielder (Bruce) for a proven pitcher (Bedard).

Meanwhile, we have Fogg, Arroyo and Affledt as our choices to watch start the latest Reds loss and Bruce is striking out in AAA......and lots of folks are already saying wait till next year.

Bruce is also 7-8 years younger and doesn't have a history of serious drug abuse nor does he have a history of injuries. Volquez is still a question mark right now, but so is Hamilton. So basically, 2 teams swapped question marks.

OnBaseMachine
05-05-2008, 02:18 PM

And Josh Hamilton isn't a question mark? I'd say he's more of a question mark than Edinson Volquez. Hamilton has an injury prone past and of course the drug isses. In 2002, his season was cut short with lingering back and shoulder injuries. In 2006, Hamilton didn't play after July 29th due to season-ending left knee injury. Last year he went on the DL three times IIRC. He's an awesome player but he's got his own risks.

btw, your boy Erik Bedard has already been on the DL once this season. Thank you Wayne for not trading Bruce + others for Bedard.

wheels
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Are we going to have to hear about Josh Hamilton forever?

It seems like every time he ties his shoelaces correctly, someone jumps to lament his departure.

He's had a good month. Good for him. It's worthy of praise.

Does it mean that we should all gnash our teeth or hold candle light vigils every time it happens?

Btw....Both teams have the same record.