PDA

View Full Version : Brook Jacoby Watch

Benihana
05-03-2008, 08:30 PM
It's time for him to go. This is such an inexcusable display of hitting, and it's lasted more than a month. It's time to make a change.

reds44
05-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Wasn't one of the reasons Jacoby was hired because of his relationship with Dunn?

Yeah, oops.

WMR
05-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Sounds good to me!

VR
05-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Wasn't one of the reasons Jacoby was hired because of his relationship with Dunn?

Yeah, oops.

Dunn was making 30K per year then....a bit more attentive I'd imagine

Benihana
05-03-2008, 08:54 PM
That was just a pathetic, pathetic at-bat for Dunn in the 6th. He is completely lost. Let's try to bring someone in who could possibly find him, if for no other reason than to salvage some of his trade value.

Tony Cloninger
05-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I can see why he has bad numbers against Ohlman....he swings right through his fastballs.....even when they are in the strike zone.

Aronchis
05-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Dusty just put Dunn on the bench.

CTA513
05-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Dusty just put Dunn on the bench.

Double switch

reds44
05-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Taking Dunn out with 3 innings left tells you wonders what he thinks of him as a player.

pahster
05-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Taking Dunn out with 3 innings left tells you wonders what he thinks of him as a player.

Or that Dusty loves him some double switching.

reds44
05-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Or that Dusty loves him some double switching.
You think Dusty would have double switched out Phillips or Griffey at this point?

pahster
05-03-2008, 09:47 PM
You think Dusty would have double switched out Phillips or Griffey at this point?

Probably not Phillips, maybe Griffey. Dunn and Votto have been double switched out of games all season long. I see no reason to read into Dunn being taken out today.

Krusty
05-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't matter if Jacoby is the hitting coach or someone else......bottom line is Dunn is not going to change his approach.

pahster
05-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Don't matter if Jacoby is the hitting coach or someone else......bottom line is Dunn is not going to change his approach.

Should he? He's been an awfully effective hitter over the course of his career.

oneupper
05-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Whether he deserves it or not (I have no idea), Jacoby is probably toast.

Krusty
05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
With a soon to be 12-19 record, there should be no sacred cows in the organization......and that includes the players.

Marc D
05-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Wake me up when they start firing players. Untill then its just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

Aronchis
05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Yep, firing the players is priority number 1. But the management situation may come into question if Jocketty tells Cast he can't get this thing to a winning program to next decade. Dusty may bolt anyway.

Spring~Fields
05-03-2008, 10:02 PM

Should be toast. I don't think that we have seen any magic from him with any players. :(

KronoRed
05-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Should he? He's been an awfully effective hitter over the course of his career.

Yep, hopefully the hitting coach and manager leave him alone to get back on track.

Topcat
05-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Hitters coach is going to make the batters heat up? Seriously thats the solution for the lack of offense ?

WMR
05-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Hitters coach is going to make the batters heat up? Seriously thats the solution for the lack of offense ?

Do you mean "Hitting Coach"???

:confused:

icehole3
05-04-2008, 08:08 AM
would getting rid of Jacoby mean Dunn will not be resigned? I dont want them to resign Dunn and I was just wondering.

Raisor
05-04-2008, 08:45 AM
....bottom line is Dunn is not going to change his approach.

I'd argue that Dunn HAS altered his approach, and what we are seeing is the result of that.

It happens every time the Reds bring in a new manager. He tries to please the new manager, his game goes weird.

Eventually either the new manager or Dunn sees that it's not working, and he goes back to playing his game, and the numbers inprove.

WMR
05-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I'd argue that Dunn HAS altered his approach, and what we are seeing is the result of that.

It happens every time the Reds bring in a new manager. He tries to please the new manager, his game goes weird.

Eventually either the new manager or Dunn sees that it's not working, and he goes back to playing his game, and the numbers inprove.

Can we make you hitting coach????

(:rolleyes: = towards everyone else)

MartyFan
05-04-2008, 11:34 AM
So, Jacoby has the same relationship with Dunn that Soto has with Cueto...is it justifiable for a coach to be around the team for one player?

We need guys to put bat on ball and pitchers to miss bats as much as possible...what a mystery!

VR
05-04-2008, 11:35 AM

I'd agree in year 1 & 2, but an 8 year vet who's paid as a superstar isn't succeeding because of a hitting coach or where he's hitting in the order?

Most of us would get laughed off the jobsite with those types of excuses.

Raisor
05-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd agree in year 1 & 2, but an 8 year vet who's paid as a superstar isn't succeeding because of a hitting coach or where he's hitting in the order?

Most of us would get laughed off the jobsite with those types of excuses.

So if your new boss wanted you to do something different, what would you do?

Dusty was on record before the season wanting to change Dunn's approach. I believe what we're seeing is in direct response to that.

VR
05-04-2008, 11:53 AM
So if your new boss wanted you to do something different, what would you do?

Dusty was on record before the season wanting to change Dunn's approach. I believe what we're seeing is in direct response to that.

I guess we'd have to know more about that conversation. As is, he is hitting in front of the team's best two hitters, and is walking as much or more than he ever has.

Why always the need to change Dunn? All these new managers, the media, and opponents bullpens should fear and respect his .900 OPS and not worry about the glaring deficiencies or failure to improve any of them. We have to ask ourselves why he has little or no trade value, nor respect from opposing bullpens or quality starters.

alexad
05-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I think we really need to look into bringing in some people who have been a part of the Reds an understand the tradition of this team. Having Soto here to help the young guys out has been a huge help. I am not sure Soto would want to be the pitching coach, but Ted Power has been doing a pretty good job in AAA. I also think we need another batting coach. Eric Davis comes to mind for me. Heck Hal Morris would be a good hitting coach. Bob C wants to bring him the past for the preseason, why not keep here all season long in coaching capacities?

oneupper
05-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately Charlie Lau died over 20 years ago.

Tony Cloninger
05-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I agree with VR......that swing and be more aggressive approach from Dunn....I do not see that at all. I still see him being very selective and only on occasion going for the 1st or 2nd pitch. He is walking as much as before, if not more....not striking out as much.

I believe if Baker had said nothing at all....people would say he tried to change his approach anyways. It cannot always be someone else's fault.

He is still a hitter that I think this team needs with bruce taking over in RF but he is not a hitter I am going to count on to do anymore than he already has in his career....he is a good complimentary player, just like Perez became, starting in 1972...when Bench, Rose and Morgan were the big producers through the next 5 years.

Team Clark
05-04-2008, 10:38 PM

As much as I like the way Dunn has been approaching ST the last two seasons I have to agree here. As soon as the regular season starts it's grip and rip time. The "book" keeps getting better on Dunn. Where are the adjustments?

Yachtzee
05-04-2008, 10:53 PM
As much as I like the way Dunn has been approaching ST the last two seasons I have to agree here. As soon as the regular season starts it's grip and rip time. The "book" keeps getting better on Dunn. Where are the adjustments?

They usually kick in right when the "Dunn is a bum" rap reaches fever pitch.

Jpup
05-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Who were Dusty's guys from Chicago & SF? I think Gary Matthews was in there somewhere, right?

RichRed
05-05-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree with VR......that swing and be more aggressive approach from Dunn....I do not see that at all. I still see him being very selective and only on occasion going for the 1st or 2nd pitch. He is walking as much as before, if not more....not striking out as much.

In fact, Dunn is 10th in the NL in pitches per plate appearance. He'll be fine, but it won't stop people from making him the first target when the offense turns south.

VR
05-05-2008, 11:09 AM
In fact, Dunn is 10th in the NL in pitches per plate appearance. He'll be fine, but it won't stop people from making him the first target when the offense turns south.

Who are the first nine?

OnBaseMachine
05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Who are the first nine?

1. Jayson Werth 4.81
2. Kosuke Fukudome 4.41
3. Andruw Jones 4.40
4. David Wright 4.36
5. Mark Reynolds 4.29
6. Nate McLouth 4.29
7. Carlos Beltran 4.26
8. Todd Helton 4.25