PDA

View Full Version : What am I listening to?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

kaldaniels
02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

In my opinion, not as good as Strawberry Jam, but still an excellent album. The new album seems to be garnering some serious acclaim and support. It's being played everywhere in Portland. Two weeks before the album actually came out, I heard the album in a bar, in a car at a stop light, and another apartment in my building. I think it may have the potential to be one of the great albums of our generation, signaling, perhaps even, a newfound public acceptence of electronic music.

I've tried to listen to this album a few times...but I'm just not getting it. Enough people love it that I realize it's not that it is not good...just it's not my style.

I love Fleet Foxes though...what a breath of fresh air if you ask me.

TRF
02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Dido - Safe Trup Home

love Dido.

*BaseClogger*
02-12-2009, 12:23 AM
The Black Keys. If you like the White Stripes you will like The Black Keys...

camisadelgolf
02-12-2009, 02:01 AM
The Black Keys. If you like the White Stripes you will like The Black Keys...
This past weekend at the SGH, I might have seen the best all-local lineup in recent history. The Sundresses, Pearlene, and The Buffalo Killers did an AIDS awareness benefit, and each band was incredible. Anyway, if you're a fan of The White Stripes and/or The Black Keys, you should definitely check out the bands from the show. Also, a couple more Cincinnati bands in the same vein I recommend are The Heartless Bastards (with whom I've toured--they were on Letterman a couple nights ago, too) and The Greenhornes. The bassist and drummer of The Greenhornes have done a lot of projects with Jack White. Oh, and another band to check out is The Soledad Brothers. I could go on . . .

Larry Schuler
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
After a looong 2 years John Vanderslice is back with a new album, Romanian Names (out in May). Here is a song from that record, as performed by Mr. Vanderslice and a 30-piece orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBiCGzXxLQU

Here is a higher quality version:

http://vimeo.com/3073010

westofyou
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Fairies Wear Boots

Stewie
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
This past weekend at the SGH, I might have seen the best all-local lineup in recent history. The Sundresses, Pearlene, and The Buffalo Killers did an AIDS awareness benefit, and each band was incredible. Anyway, if you're a fan of The White Stripes and/or The Black Keys, you should definitely check out the bands from the show. Also, a couple more Cincinnati bands in the same vein I recommend are The Heartless Bastards (with whom I've toured--they were on Letterman a couple nights ago, too) and The Greenhornes. The bassist and drummer of The Greenhornes have done a lot of projects with Jack White. Oh, and another band to check out is The Soledad Brothers. I could go on . . .

Oh man, I'm disappointed I missed this one. I saw the Buffalo Killers open for the Black Keys out in Philadelphia last Spring, and both were quite fantastic, and I've liked what I've heard from Pearlene. I picked up the new release from The Heartless Bastards, The Mountain, today -- in addition to the new solo album from Dan Auerbach (lead singer from the Black Keys), Keep it Hid, so those are what I'm listening to now. So far, so good with both of them.

cincyinco
02-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Keane - perfect symmetry - another brilliant album IMO. They have yet to disaspoint.

Kaiser chiefs - off with their heads - much better than their sophmore effort.

We are scientists - crap attack - I can't put this album down, its been on my playlist for a good half year or more now.

missionhockey21
02-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Black Lips - 200 Million Thousand
Television - Marquee Moon
Dirtbombs - We Have You Surrounded

Its been awhile since I've listened to Marquee Moon so I kind of forgot just how much I love it, it almost feels like my first listen again.

camisadelgolf
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Marquee Moon is one of the best albums ever made. I'm elated every time I rediscover it.

*BaseClogger*
02-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Music news for European RedsZoners:

Faith No More are to reunite, Mike Patton has announced. Only he's not making much of a fuss about it.

Last year's rumours were confirmed in a statement released this week by Patton's publicist.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/feb/25/faith-no-more-reunion-tour

cincyinco
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Fantastic.. Patton is awesome!

camisadelgolf
02-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I've been listening to a lot of ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead lately. Their new disc isn't so great, but it got me in the mood to listen to their older stuff again. I also can't stop listening to Titus Andronicus' The Airing of Grievances, which reminds me a lot of Desaparecidos or a harder, rockier version of Bright Eyes. I think a lot of people here would enjoy it.

pedro
02-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Marquee Moon is one of the best albums ever made. I'm elated every time I rediscover it.

Great, great album.

*BaseClogger*
02-27-2009, 01:36 AM
Icky Thump by The White Stripes
Gish by Smashing Pumpkins
Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus
S.C.I.E.C.E. by Incubus (growing on me big time after I learned to fully appreciate Fungus Amongus)
Sixteen Stone by Bush

nate
02-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Pretty cool thread. Here are the songs I worked on this month:

"Gives You Hell" - All American Rejects
"I Don't Care" - Fall Out Boy
"Brick" - Ben Folds

BTW, I just heard the original version of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. Eighties extravaganza! I'm surprised it inspired Jeff Buckley's sublime take.

*BaseClogger*
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Pretty cool thread. Here are the songs I worked on this month:

"Gives You Hell" - All American Rejects
"I Don't Care" - Fall Out Boy
"Brick" - Ben Folds

BTW, I just heard the original version of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. Eighties extravaganza! I'm surprised it inspired Jeff Buckley's sublime take.

Just curious Nate: what do you mean by 'work on'? I know you have a jazz background and I was wondering how that leads someone to 'work on' the All-American Rejects or Fall Out Boy... :)

wolfboy
02-27-2009, 12:34 PM

I only have a 4 gig ipod at the moment, so there isn't a lot of room for while albums. Marquee Moon is one of the few whole albums I keep on there.

nate
02-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Just curious Nate: what do you mean by 'work on'? I know you have a jazz background and I was wondering how that leads someone to 'work on' the All-American Rejects or Fall Out Boy... :)

I have a gig where I do full transcriptions of songs each month.

It keeps me off the streets and out of gangs!

*BaseClogger*
02-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I have a gig where I do full transcriptions of songs each month.

It keeps me off the streets and out of gangs!

Cool.

Are those currently popular songs? I'm 18 and I honestly don't know if those are currently the hit pop songs or not!

nate
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Cool.

Are those currently popular songs? I'm 18 and I honestly don't know if those are currently the hit pop songs or not!

I think "Gives You Hell" is the only currently or recently popular. "I Don't Care" was popular last year and I think "Brick" is from the 90's.

As far as what songs I get to transcribe, it's really a mixed bag. Sometimes it's "current" stuff, sometimes it's an entire chunk of an artist's catalog (I did a ton of ELO tunes last December) and sometimes it's something zany (I did half of the top 25 BCS ranked college football teams fight songs last August).

crz

Larry Schuler
02-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I've been listening to a lot of ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead lately. Their new disc isn't so great, but it got me in the mood to listen to their older stuff again. I also can't stop listening to Titus Andronicus' The Airing of Grievances, which reminds me a lot of Desaparecidos or a harder, rockier version of Bright Eyes. I think a lot of people here would enjoy it.

That Titus Andronicus album is GREAT!!!!

marcshoe
02-27-2009, 04:54 PM
As a new mp3 player user, I can understand lyrics much better, and am able to say, rather firmly, that the band America used a boatload of recreational drugs.

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Never had heard this before:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/red-hot-chili-peppers-smell-like-teen-spirit-cover/72057603189179011/?icid=VIDURVMUS10

marcshoe
02-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Never had heard this before:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/red-hot-chili-peppers-smell-like-teen-spirit-cover/72057603189179011/?icid=VIDURVMUS10

There's some debate on YouTube debate on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njZnuavr-UE) as to whether this is what it claims. Some guy even says it's his band and not a "SLTS" cover.

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2009, 07:58 PM
It sounds just like Frusciante guitar work but I'm still not sure what to think...

*BaseClogger*
03-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Instead of doing homework I spent my night on YouTube exploring Fugazi ("Waiting Room" is an awesome song thanks camisa), Joy Division, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Husker Du, and The Replacements. Figured I needed to see what all the talk about college rock and 80s alternative was all about... :)

camisadelgolf
03-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Instead of doing homework I spent my night on YouTube exploring Fugazi ("Waiting Room" is an awesome song thanks camisa), Joy Division, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Husker Du, and The Replacements. Figured I needed to see what all the talk about college rock and 80s alternative was all about... :)
All of those bands have my endorsement--I love them all. Don't forget to check out Pavement.

*BaseClogger*
03-02-2009, 01:55 AM
All of those bands have my endorsement--I love them all. Don't forget to check out Pavement.

I've done a little listening and it's been kinda meh. None of it has really taken me by storm but a lot of the stuff I'm into now is like that so I will give it another go. I really like Superchunk and they are pretty similar, right?

camisadelgolf
03-02-2009, 08:05 AM
I've done a little listening and it's been kinda meh. None of it has really taken me by storm but a lot of the stuff I'm into now is like that so I will give it another go. I really like Superchunk and they are pretty similar, right?
Well, I would say it's the same genre, but their sounds are pretty different in my opinion. Check out this song (Stephen Malkmus was in Pavement):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sy6eH5gfzo

pedro
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Malkmus' solo stuff pales in comparison to Pavement. It's just getting worse and worse too.

Baseclogger, with Pavement I'd start with Slanted & Enchanted (if you haven't already) and work forward from there. Wowee Zowee and Crooked rain, Crooked Rain are great albums too.

westofyou
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Malkmus' solo stuff pales in comparison to Pavement. It's just getting worse and worse too.

Baseclogger, with Pavement I'd start with Slanted & Enchanted (if you haven't already) and work forward from there. Wowee Zowee and Crooked rain, Crooked Rain are great albums too.

Ditto on Malkumus, he lives too close to a Whole Foods now to truly be alternative.

Spiral's band Preston School of Industry probably is musically better at this juncture.

As for Pavement Baseclogger you can't for wrong if you like contained rambling in your song structure, to me Pavement was the band of the nineties.

camisadelgolf
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I love anything done by Pavement except Wowee Zowee.

Malkmus' solo stuff, particularly his last CD (which I called the best CD of 2008), is generally very good, but if you're expecting Pavement, you'll be disappointed. I think you just kind of have to accept that it's not what you want it to be before you can really appreciate it.

Anyway, I completely agree that Slanted & Enchanted is a great place to start. If you can't get into it after a few listens, maybe you should revisit it in a few years.

pedro
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I love anything done by Pavement except Wowee Zowee.

Malkmus' solo stuff, particularly his last CD (which I called the best CD of 2008), is generally very good, but if you're expecting Pavement, you'll be disappointed. I think you just kind of have to accept that it's not what you want it to be before you can really appreciate it.

Anyway, I completely agree that Slanted & Enchanted is a great place to start. If you can't get into it after a few listens, maybe you should revisit it in a few years.

Malkmus lives about 1.5 miles from me and I've seen the Jicks live about 10 times. The lyrics have gotten progressively worse as he's become obsessed with the idea of Steve Malkmus, lead guitar player. In fact, the last time I saw them if it wasn't for Janet Weiss being such a great drummer I'd probably have bailed. BORING.

westofyou
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Malkmus lives about 1.5 miles from me and I've seen the Jicks live about 10 times. The lyrics have gotten progressively worse as he's become obsessed with the idea of Steve Malkmus, lead guitar player. In fact, the last time I saw them if it wasn't for Janet Weiss being such a great drummer I'd probably have bailed. BORING.

Math Rock gone bad.

camisadelgolf
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I won't argue with you about the lyrics--Pavement's didn't do anything for me either. I particularly enjoy the music from both, though.

BillDoran
03-02-2009, 05:24 PM

At the risk of sounding like a stalker, where does he live?

While I can agree that lyrically Pavement isn't very deep, Malkmus does offer some enjoyable wordplay. He's stated before most of the lyrics are toss-offs and not meant to be taken too seriously. One particularly enjoyable and apt line from Pig Lib, "He couldn't commit to the mental jujitsu of switching his hittin'." I also really appreciate the song Embassy Row.

As for Malkmus' post-Pavement output, it's been a strange path. The first two were super mellow (a trend that began building after Wowee Zowee) and has ended with lots of faux-psychedelia and noodling. That said, I like Face the Truth nearly as much as any of the Pavement albums.

pedro
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
At the risk of sounding like a stalker, where does he live?

While I can agree that lyrically Pavement isn't very deep, Malkmus does offer some enjoyable wordplay. He's stated before most of the lyrics are toss-offs and not meant to be taken too seriously. One particularly enjoyable and apt line from Pig Lib, "He couldn't commit to the mental jujitsu of switching his hittin'." I also really appreciate the song Embassy Row.

As for Malkmus' post-Pavement output, it's been a strange path. The first two were super mellow (a trend that began building after Wowee Zowee) and has ended with lots of faux-psychedelia and noodling. That said, I like Face the Truth nearly as much as any of the Pavement albums.

Laurelhurst..

I also know where he plays foosball with Johnny Marr and Issac Brock but I'm going to keep that to myself. ;)

westofyou
03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
On laurelhurst..

I also know where he plays foosball with Johnny Marr and Issac Brock but I'm going to keep that to myself. ;)

Maybe not Marr anymore

pedro
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Johnny's apparently been there in the last month, even though he's not touring with MM this time around.

BillDoran
03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Laurelhurst..

I knew he lived in the SE. I've seen him in Beaulahland and the Goodfoot. In Portland, especially if you attend shows, it's hard not to run into these guys. Almost ran Britt Daniel over on my bike a couple months back.

And to return this thread to it's rightful (non-Portlandcentric) topic:

Autolux. They've got a bit of a shoegaze sound. They haven't released an album in half a decade (they have one scheduled for this year. Their sound is one I'm not generally drawn to, but there's something almost hypnotic that keeps drawing me back. I definitely recommend an audio perusal.

pedro
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I knew he lived in the SE. I've seen him in Beaulahland and the Goodfoot. In Portland, especially if you attend shows, it's hard not to run into these guys. Almost ran Britt Daniel over on my bike a couple months back.

yeah, i know what you mean, i almost ran over willie vlautin from richmond fontaine in my car a few months back, and woy and i saw art alexis at the theater when we went to go see the the simpsons movie.

vaticanplum
03-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Middle Cyclone - Neko Case

I've always liked Neko Case pretty well, but something about this album is freaking tearing me apart.

I also like the new Andrew Bird album(s). I am veering dangerously close to an easy listening phase, I think. I blame spring.

pedro
03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Middle Cyclone - Neko Case

I've always liked Neko Case pretty well, but something about this album is freaking tearing me apart.

I also like the new Andrew Bird album(s). I am veering dangerously close to an easy listening phase, I think. I blame spring.

I was in San Diego recently and had a chance to see Andrew Bird. Remembering how well you spoke of him, I went. It was amazing. :)

smith288
03-16-2009, 12:55 AM
JUST finished the audio reading of Atlas Shrugged (read by Christopher Hurt - excellent reader btw).

RichRed
03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
I was in San Diego recently and had a chance to see Andrew Bird. Remembering how well you spoke of him, I went. It was amazing. :)

I just recently started listening to Andrew Bird and I'm quickly becoming a big fan.

camisadelgolf
03-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I saw Andrew Bird in Tennessee a couple years ago, and he was great. I had liked him a bit before then, but I became a big fan after that.

vaticanplum
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM

Awesome!!

I don't think the new albums (I bought them as a double set) have been as well received as some of his other stuff, but I absolutely love them.

Redhook
03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Airborne Toxic Event

Ravenlord
03-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Savatage- The Dungeons Are Calling
Megadeth- United Abominations
Willie Nelson- Stories pt. 4
Maximum the Hormone- The World (japan)
Lunarium- Lunariusm (http://www.myspace.com/lunarium)

Larry Schuler
03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I've started listening to my old Kings of Convenience cds again. They sound great in high quality headphones.

camisadelgolf
03-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I've started listening to my old Kings of Convenience cds again. They sound great in high quality headphones.
That is a very good group. For whatever reason, all their stuff is dirt cheap in Germany, so I think I have pretty much everything they've ever released.

At the moment, I'm listening to Atom & His Package because I love feeling like a nerd. A Society of People Named Elihu is one of the funnest CDs ever made imo.

*BaseClogger*
03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
The new Les Claypool album... :barf:

westofyou
03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Psychedelic Soul - The Temptations

Larry Schuler
03-17-2009, 07:15 PM
That is a very good group. For whatever reason, all their stuff is dirt cheap in Germany, so I think I have pretty much everything they've ever released.

They haven't officially split but it's been nearly 5 years since their last record and the only recent news I can find about them is a few one off concerts last year. I really wish they'd put out something new.

westofyou
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Galaxie 500 - On Fire

Sean_CaseyRules
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Heart, again.

Just found out they are coming to the LC this summer!!!! I'm definitely pumped about this one! I've got a HUGE crush on Ann Wilson!!!! (no pun intended)

pedro
03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Superchunk - Here's to Shutting Up

*BaseClogger*
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Rated R by QotSA (It's awesome and probably one of my favorites from this millennium)

nate
03-21-2009, 11:42 AM
"Teardrop" by Massive Attack. Perhaps more popularly known as the theme from "House." I'm actually transcribing it for a job and it's easily the most interesting thing I've worked on in a long time. Next to impossible to make some of those sounds given the limitations I'm working in but it's more interesting than, say, the Jonas Brothers tune I just finished.

Although, as far as "teen pop" goes, the Jonas Brothers are, to me at least, not bad! Maybe they'll do an album with Massive Attack.

:cool:

MilotheMayor
03-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Although, as far as "teen pop" goes, the Jonas Brothers are, to me at least, not bad! Maybe they'll do an album with Massive Attack.

List of contributers to work with MA: Shara Nelson, Horace Andy, Tricky, David Bowie, Elizabeth Fraser, Madonna, Sinead O'Connor...Jonas Brothers!?!?!

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Good lord, please do not ruin one of my favorite albums ever (Mezzanine) with the thought of some prepubescent yelping on top of the masterfully dark soundscapes.

I hope you were being sarcastic. :eek:

On a more positive note, Massive Attack should be releasing a double album later this year. :thumbup:

camisadelgolf
03-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I hate everything the Jonas Brothers stand for, but their producers did an amazing job with their CD. I don't like them, but I have to admit that they're possibly the best at what they do right now.

missionhockey21
03-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I also can't stop listening to Titus Andronicus' The Airing of Grievances, which reminds me a lot of Desaparecidos or a harder, rockier version of Bright Eyes. I think a lot of people here would enjoy it.
That's what I am listening to right now actually. Did a search to see if anyone else have checked them out and I am glad I am not alone.

Fantastic album (and album title.)

redsmetz
03-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I mentioned on the "what are you reading" thread that I'm reading The Soloist, the story of a homeless man who once was a student at Julliard. There is mention of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony and the writer breaks it down a bit with the story. I'm not really familiar with classical music much, but decided to check out a CD of this symphony. Conducted by Cincinnati's musical director (whose name I can't spell at the moment) with the Kammerorchester from Bremen, wow! What a sharp full symphony. Just beautiful. They're making a movie of the book and I imagine the soundtrack will be a good one.

Also, I picked up The History of the Dave Clark Five, very good British invasion band; recent Hall of Fame inductees who rivaled the Beatles and the Stones in their heyday. Lasted as long as the Beatles (actually broke up a few months after the Fab Four in 1970), they really had about a two to three year period where they were putting out hit after hit.

camisadelgolf
03-28-2009, 08:10 AM
That's what I am listening to right now actually. Did a search to see if anyone else have checked them out and I am glad I am not alone.

Fantastic album (and album title.)
If you're in the Greater Cincinnati area, they're playing with Lucero at the Southgate House on April 23rd. It should be a great show.

elfmanvt07
03-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I just got MGMT's Oracular Spectacular. Quality disc.

missionhockey21
03-28-2009, 11:15 AM
If you're in the Greater Cincinnati area, they're playing with Lucero at the Southgate House on April 23rd. It should be a great show.

Thanks for the info. I like Lucero too so that would definitely be a show I'd try to get down too. :beerme:

Larry Schuler
03-28-2009, 04:14 PM
If you like the Knife you HAVE to get your hands on the new Fever Ray self-titled album. It is Karin from the Knife doing her own thing (which happens to sound like a more concise, sharper Knife).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-CpE73o2M

MilotheMayor
03-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Fever Ray is a different beast than Silent Shout I think. Love the atmosphere, but the quality of individuals songs don't match "Silent Shout" or "We Share Our Mother's Health". Of course this is only coming from half the duo, so still an impressive effort.

I've listened to about 40 albums so far this year, but a recent discovery has absolutely blown me away. The Antler's Hospice has leaped into my favorites for the year. The Antlers is the one-man effort of Brooklyn's Peter Silberman. Hospice faintly recalls Bon Iver's fantastic debut in that Silberman's delivery is delivered in whispers and falsetto, while occasionally letting loose like Win Butler of Arcade Fire or Matt Berninger of The National. Much of the album is blanketed in rather wonderful ambiance. Another comparison I'm attracted to is with Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Jeff Mangum obsessed over Anne Frank on that album, while Silberman bases Hospice's story arc around Sylvia Plath's depression and suicide. So the album is a rather heavy listen but has intense emotional sincerity. I believe NPR's All Songs Considered has named Hospice the best release of 09 so far. The entire album can be streamed here if anyone's interested: http://theantlers.bandcamp.com/album/hospice
Sylvia, Bear, Two, and Wake are personal favorites at the moment. And here's lyrics!
http://www.antlersmusic.com/linernotes.pdf

vaticanplum
04-06-2009, 11:33 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3420374512_25fd408f36_m.jpg

Nonstop. This album is a knockout. It is killing me, in a good way.

*BaseClogger*
04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Good call. It has been too long since this thread was active.

Tonight, I listened to some Fishbone videos on youtube. Also listened one of my favorite albums, Remains, by Alkaline Trio...

Larry Schuler
04-07-2009, 12:58 AM
I've been listening to the new John Vanderslice album Romanian Names. It is quite good, unsurprisingly.

I also took a listen to the new Thermals album but that one...not nearly as good as their other albums. :-(

nate
04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Good call. It has been too long since this thread was active.

Tonight, I listened to some Fishbone videos on youtube. Also listened one of my favorite albums, Remains, by Alkaline Trio...

I used to play their version of "Freddie's Dead" in college. Freaking rocking band.

Err, Fishbone is the rocking band...although that college band was pretty rocking as I recall. Years and...other things...make my memory foggy.

*BaseClogger*
04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I used to play their version of "Freddie's Dead" in college. Freaking rocking band.

Err, Fishbone is the rocking band...although that college band was pretty rocking as I recall. Years and...other things...make my memory foggy.

Loud noises? :p:

Yeah, Fishbone has some straight sick bass lines. Speaking of which, where is that thread...

pedro
04-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Bad Brains - I Against I

Still as amazing as it was when it came out 23 years ago

camisadelgolf
04-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Bad Brains - I Against I

Still as amazing as it was when it came out 23 years ago
:thumbup:
Few bands never disappoint me, and Bad Brains is one of them.

marcshoe
04-12-2009, 10:20 PM
I like to open this thread occasionally to see if I've ever heard of anything being mentioned. I think people are leafing through the dictionary and picking random words. ;)

Although someone did mention Dido's new one a few pages back, and I have that on my mp3 player, so I know it's real.

Caveat Emperor
04-13-2009, 01:08 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3420374512_25fd408f36_m.jpg

Nonstop. This album is a knockout. It is killing me, in a good way.

I just downloaded the first track on this album from iTunes -- really great stuff. I'm thoroughly enjoying this -- though I can't really describe anything to compare it to at the moment.

camisadelgolf
04-13-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm listening to Japanther. Every time I see them, it's the most fun I've ever had. I want to be in a band again so bad.
http://www.myspace.com/japanther

nate
04-13-2009, 08:18 AM
I went to see Colt Ford play at the Wildhorse last week. I liked it live even better than the CD. Great, great players and Colt is, to say the least, a character.

vaticanplum
04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I just downloaded the first track on this album from iTunes -- really great stuff. I'm thoroughly enjoying this -- though I can't really describe anything to compare it to at the moment.

I'm glad you like it...I really think the album so good. I cannot stop listening to it.

I had never heard of him until NPR did a great feature (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102054404) on him a few weeks ago. Kid's got quite a story (more affecting to some more than others I'm sure -- I had no idea who Anthony Perkins was), but story or not, he's incredibly talented.

Caveat Emperor
04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm glad you like it...I really think the album so good. I cannot stop listening to it.

I had never heard of him until NPR did a great feature (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102054404) on him a few weeks ago. Kid's got quite a story (more affecting to some more than others I'm sure -- I had no idea who Anthony Perkins was), but story or not, he's incredibly talented.

Anthony Perkins was famous for his role in Psycho, but he was also the star of one of my favorite childhood Saturday matinee flicks: "The Black Hole"

BTW -- listening to the new DMB single right now. Really good stuff, some of the best music they've done in almost a decade. It's a free download on their website: http://rcarecords.com/dmbfreedownload/

Falls City Beer
04-14-2009, 03:09 PM

It's pretty awesome that he's the son of Psycho.

camisadelgolf
04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm on the guest list to see Natalie Portman's Shaved Head, Freezepop, The Seedy Seeds, and The Koala Fires tonight. The Seedy Seeds might be the best band in the city right now, so I'm extra excited that there's actually good local support on the bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-gQL03u7mc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVIhIc_DfaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxk-duWzI6U

Falls City Beer
04-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I've got "Sally Free & Easy" by Flying Saucer Attack playing in my office. It sounds like the sun melting in my ear. FSA is a great band to get work done to.

cincinnati chili
04-15-2009, 02:33 AM
Xuefei Yang is pretty good on the guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiHkgGkmZUk&feature=related

Larry Schuler
04-15-2009, 03:22 AM
That Leonard Cohen live in London album is pretty delicious.

MilotheMayor
04-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Relistened to all four Pixies albums plus Come On Pilgrim this weekend. Good times.

*BaseClogger*
04-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Double Nickels on the Dime by Minutemen

MilotheMayor
04-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Double Nickels on the Dime by Minutemen

*BaseClogger*
04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Relistened to all four Pixies albums plus Come On Pilgrim this weekend. Good times.

All I've heard is Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. Is it worth my time to check the other two out?

MilotheMayor
04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
All I've heard is Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. Is it worth my time to check the other two out?
Come On Pilgrim is basically the exact style of Surfer Rosa. Bossanova probably best considered as a more streamlined, less eccentric Doolittle with surf rock elements. Trompe le Monde is just wacked out. Listen to them ALL.

*BaseClogger*
04-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Come On Pilgrim is basically the exact style of Surfer Rosa. Bossanova probably best considered as a more streamlined, less eccentric Doolittle with surf rock elements. Trompe le Monde is just wacked out. Listen to them ALL.

Will do as soon as I get out of school and have to opportunity to download them... :thumbup:

MilotheMayor
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Will do as soon as I get out of school and have to opportunity to download them... :thumbup:
You might have something else to download soon!
I hope this is true.
http://www.ainr.com/pixies/index.html
:eek::eek::eek:

*BaseClogger*
04-24-2009, 04:04 AM
:angry:

All of the Pixies‘ studio records are being reissued in Limited Edition and Deluxe Edition box sets titled Minotaur that will be released on June 15, 2009.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/04/21/exclusive-pixies-albums-being-reissued-for-minotaur-box-set/

Redhook
04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Silversun Pickups.

I love their new cd. I bought it the other day and can't get enough of it. Great music.

Larry Schuler
04-24-2009, 03:51 PM
The new MF Doom is pretty tasty.

camisadelgolf
04-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Silversun Pickups.

I love their new cd. I bought it the other day and can't get enough of it. Great music.
I didn't want to give them a shot because they're all over mainstream radio right now, but I'm glad I did because it's actually a pretty good CD.

missionhockey21
04-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Superchunk - Leaves In The Gutter
Future of the Left - Travels With Myself and Another
Mansions - New Best Friends

The new Silversun Pickups is ok, but I enjoyed Carnavas more to be honest. Maybe I need to give it a few more spins.

camisadelgolf
04-24-2009, 07:48 PM
I love any kind of music that sounds like Future of the Left or Mclusky. I wish they'd tour around here.

MilotheMayor
04-25-2009, 12:59 PM
The new MF Doom is pretty tasty.
Great record but Batty Boyz is a truly embarrassing track.

paintmered
05-03-2009, 12:12 AM
If you like vocal jazz, check out Melody Gardot.

The Operator
05-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I know lots of people who claim to be die-hard QotSA fans and have never even heard of Kyuss. It makes me facepalm. Anyway, Kyuss are legends.Have you heard about the rumored project taking place between Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, and John Paul Jones?

I've been trying to keep up on it over on the QOTSA message board. There's a LOT of spam and trolling to filter through, but someone posted a magazine scan which translated said something to the effect of "I stopped by Josh's new studio. He's working on a record with Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones. It's gonna be super cool."

If it's legit, I'm sure it will be amazing. :cool:

*BaseClogger*
05-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Silversun Pickups.

I'm just now checking this out a I like what I hear... :thumbup:

camisadelgolf
05-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Have you heard about the rumored project taking place between Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, and John Paul Jones?

I've been trying to keep up on it over on the QOTSA message board. There's a LOT of spam and trolling to filter through, but someone posted a magazine scan which translated said something to the effect of "I stopped by Josh's new studio. He's working on a record with Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones. It's gonna be super cool."

If it's legit, I'm sure it will be amazing. :cool:
That's the first I've heard of that. That's really exciting, though. Thanks for the info--I'll definitely keep my eye out.

cincinnati chili
05-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Jellyfish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyDhsDUorGA&feature=related). Great band that happened while grunge was distracting our attention.

camisadelgolf
05-04-2009, 04:39 AM
It's weird that you mentioned Jellyfish because a friend of mine performed a song of theirs at karaoke on Thursday.

I'm listening to Cake at the moment. It's a real shame what happened to them over the years because Fashion Nugget and Prolonging The Magic are simply brilliant.

RichRed
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow, a Jellyfish reference. I really liked those guys, bought both CDs they put out. Saw them live at a little place in Va. Beach back in '93 or so - good show.

The Operator
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
That's the first I've heard of that. That's really exciting, though. Thanks for the info--I'll definitely keep my eye out.No problem.

Do you also follow The Desert Sessions and/or Eagles of Death Metal?

IMO the Desert Sessions are simply brilliant, and EODM is one of the funnest bands and funnest concert experiences around.

SunDeck
05-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Ezra Furman and the Harpoons.

AccordinglyReds
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Piano/Cello Mix of Love Story and Viva La Vida by Jon Schmidt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3d6SFcDys

camisadelgolf
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
No problem.

Do you also follow The Desert Sessions and/or Eagles of Death Metal?

IMO the Desert Sessions are simply brilliant, and EODM is one of the funnest bands and funnest concert experiences around.
Yes, absolutely. I always liked EoDM, but their last album really surprised me. It took a while to grow on me, but I think it might be their best music to date. I've always wanted to see them and can't wait for the opportunity.

redsmetz
05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
NPR did a story this morning on the CD/DVD "Playing for Change" a CD featuring musicians from all around the world all playing the same songs. They started with one guy on the streets of Santa Monica playing "Stand By Me" and filmed and recorded him. They took that to New Orleans where another street musician added onto it. The traveled all over the world doing the same thing for about eight to ten songs. So far, I'm loving the CD. Here's the story from today's Morning Edition

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103715874

redsmetz
05-05-2009, 08:31 PM
NPR did a story this morning on the CD/DVD "Playing for Change" a CD featuring musicians from all around the world all playing the same songs. They started with one guy on the streets of Santa Monica playing "Stand By Me" and filmed and recorded him. They took that to New Orleans where another street musician added onto it. The traveled all over the world doing the same thing for about eight to ten songs. So far, I'm loving the CD. Here's the story from today's Morning Edition

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103715874

I've listened to this CD twice and and finally watched the DVD that also comes with it. This music is just beautiful and watching them weave together all these musicians all across the world into cohesive songs is just jaw dropping. If you get the opportunity, have a listen to this CD and watch the video. It's just very cool.

*BaseClogger*
05-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Does anybody care about the new Green Day album?

pedro
05-10-2009, 03:53 PM

WOY and I do, we like it.

it can be streamed here.

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/

pedro
05-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I've been listening to Phoenix.

BillDoran
05-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Passion Pit - Chunk of Change EP (Manners LP, not so much). After a couple listens, he seems to be another overly early-hyped band that can't produce a cogent followup to the initial burst of creativity.

I also just started listening the The Cramps a couple months back. I find it fascinating to discover the predescessors to the music I listen to today and how it informed the development. Lux Interior (RIP) and Poison Ivy were awesomely absurd.

*BaseClogger*
05-10-2009, 09:09 PM
WOY and I do, we like it.

it can be streamed here.

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/

I'm suprised, actually. Are both of you guys big Green Day fans?

westofyou
05-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm suprised, actually. Are both of you guys big Green Day fans?

Big fans? I saw them get shouted at as "sellouts" at a show in 1994 at lollapalloza.. I also saw them at The Bridge Benefit one year, but that's about it, they were always just a local band to me and then they exploded, I've known about them since the late 80's when they were punk kids in the Berkeley and getting underground press in the local rags. they have their moments, I think they've spread their wings more in the past 5 years and I like that.

camisadelgolf
05-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I do, too. I already DLed it and think it's awesome. Basically, it's American Idiot but with much more quality and quantity.

By the way, am I the only person alive whose favorite Green Day album is Insomniac?

cincyinco
05-11-2009, 02:47 AM
I've been listening to Phoenix.

Phoenix is great! If you like them, check out nine black alps and you might like we are scientists as well.

Larry Schuler
05-11-2009, 03:31 AM
By the way, am I the only person alive whose favorite Green Day album is Insomniac?

Nope. It's their best IMO.

Falls City Beer
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Harvey Milk--Life...the Best Game in Town

camisadelgolf
05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Nope. It's their best IMO.
Thank goodness. Everyone else acts like I'm crazy when I say it.

pedro
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I went and saw two shows last week. The Shins, who were very good and Stephen Malkmus who played a bunch of new songs which I liked much more than the last album.

kaldaniels
05-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I do, too. I already DLed it and think it's awesome. Basically, it's American Idiot but with much more quality and quantity.

Insomniac vinyl rerelease due out in mid June. FYI.

*BaseClogger*
05-11-2009, 03:38 PM

I liked American Idiot for the first two tracks, but then it lost me. After hearing their new single a month back I figured this one was more of the same. Their new style just doesn't really do it for me.

As for Insomniac, well I have never heard anyone say it is the best so I only downloaded Kerplunk! and Dookie... :)

pedro
05-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Phoenix is great! If you like them, check out nine black alps and you might like we are scientists as well.

I like that We Are Scientists Brain Thrust Mastery .. thanks for the tip.

CrackerJack
05-11-2009, 08:55 PM
The new Cracker album is fantastic. As is the new Metric. Good times.

pedro
05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
The new Cracker album is fantastic. As is the new Metric. Good times.

There's a new Cracker album? I need to get on that.

camisadelgolf
05-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I heard Cracker's new single on the radio (WNKU) and really liked it. I can't wait to get a copy of the CD. And I agree with CrackerJack that Metric's new CD is really good.

Larry Schuler
05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Bill Callahan's Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle is pretty entrancing. Sings about like Leonard Cohen in a talk/singing voice.

Redhook
05-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Just rocked out with the Kings of Leon at Riverbend. It was an awesome show. Were there any other Redzoners there?

cincyinco
05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Not so much who I'm listening too as it is who I went and saw.

Took in a keane show, my 2nd time seeing them. Absolutely awesome band.

Opening for keane was the helio sequence. A 2 man show that was so good I picked up the CD and vinyl copies of their album called "keep your eyes ahead"

Ended up meeting keane.. Tom, Tim, and Richard are great fellas and put on one hell of a show.

Pedro, just seen phoenix is making their way here in June, plan to take them in as well.

BillDoran
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Thee Oh Sees - Help.

They're making the albums I thought the Black Lips were going to make. Great garage rock with a swirl of psych for good measure.

LvJ
05-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Bill Callahan's Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle is pretty entrancing. Sings about like Leonard Cohen in a talk/singing voice. Smog is fantastic. Get to see him in a few weeks here in Nashville. :beerme:

LvJ
05-14-2009, 04:49 PM
As far as what I'm listening to...

The new Wood Brothers album is great. Seeing them Saturday.

GIDP
05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Janes Addiction and Street Sweeper Social Club

GIK
05-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Picked up the new Green Day album yesterday, "21st Century Breakdown", and I'm loving it. I love records that tell a story or have a theme...it's great.

pedro
05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Pedro, just seen phoenix is making their way here in June, plan to take them in as well.

wish they were coming to portland or that they were playing the following weekend in Denver when I'll be there at Red Rocks seeing Wilco.

cincyinco
05-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Wilco aint really my thing, but red rocks is a damn fine venue to take in any band. Ever been there before? If not, you're going to love it. It might be the best venue anywhere.

pedro
05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Wilco aint really my thing, but red rocks is a damn fine venue to take in any band. Ever been there before? If not, you're going to love it. It might be the best venue anywhere.

No, I've never been there and am really looking forward to it.

cincyinco
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
No, I've never been there and am really looking forward to it.

You are going to absolutely love it. Its a pretty amazing venue both in acoustic and asthetic qualities. Have fun my man! I think you'll have a memorable experience.

*BaseClogger*
05-17-2009, 06:38 PM
311 and their new single 'Hey You'...

MilotheMayor
05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
http://inbflat.net/

Best music related DIY thingy on the web.
You can create ambiguously beautiful creations without even trying!

redsmetz
05-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I picked up The Jimi Hendrix Experience Live at Monterey (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:h9fexzthld6e) yesterday at the library. It was an incredible set introducing Hendrix to Ameican audiences following his early success in England. He was just 24 and the playing is fairly crisp. Several of the songs would be on his first album "Are You Experienced?" which came out a couple of months after this show.

And any time I hear Hendrix play "The Wind Cries Mary," it just breaks my heart because it's one of the most beautiful rock songs ever recorded. This is the concert where he famously finishes with "Wild Thing" and he sets his guitar on fire before smashing it into the amplifiers (as a guitar player, I still wince at acts who did that). And if you want to have a chance to hear someone calling people "cats" and saying "groovy" in a natural sentence, you'll get that here. :)

TC81190
05-21-2009, 09:09 PM
a handful of new things right now. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's self titled, White Rabbit's new one. Dirty Projector's single Stillness is the Move is really good. Not to mention Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion, which has been in heavy rotation since it came out earlier this year.

MilotheMayor
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
a handful of new things right now. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's self titled, White Rabbit's new one. Dirty Projector's single Stillness is the Move is really good. Not to mention Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion, which has been in heavy rotation since it came out earlier this year.
I approve of everything in this post.
Stillness Is the Move is definitely a top 3 song of the year for me at the moment.

Caveat Emperor
05-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Carbon Leaf -- "Nothing Rhymes with Woman"

Carbon Leaf is fantastic. If you haven't heard of them -- literally stop reading this post and go check out their stuff.

Better Than Ezra -- "Paper Empire"

Older stuff was better, but I still dig the new album.

camisadelgolf
05-22-2009, 02:53 AM
I just ordered The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and can't wait to listen to it. Amongst CDs released in the past few months, The White Rabbits' is my favorite. And speaking of Animal Collective, have you listened to Passion Pit? They have a similar sound and are pretty good imo.

RichRed
05-23-2009, 01:22 PM

Carbon Leaf is fantastic. If you haven't heard of them -- literally stop reading this post and go check out their stuff.

Weird. I just finished downloading these very two albums. I've read lukewarm reviews on both but look forward to listening to them. Being only an hour from Carbon Leaf's home base, I've had the chance to see them live numerous times and they never disappoint.

I'll always have a soft spot for BTE because they're the first concert my wife and I went to together. They always put on a great show too; Kevin Griffin's a hoot.

TC81190
05-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I just ordered The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and can't wait to listen to it. Amongst CDs released in the past few months, The White Rabbits' is my favorite. And speaking of Animal Collective, have you listened to Passion Pit? They have a similar sound and are pretty good imo.
I haven't heard Passion Pit's new album yet, but their EP is good. If it's anything like that, then I will probably enjoy it.

Larry Schuler
05-24-2009, 04:00 AM
Listening to 2 recent John Darnielle/Mountain Goats split EPs.

Moon Colony Bloodbath (split EP with John Vanderslice)
and
Black Pear Tree (split EP with Khaki King)

Also STILL listening to John Vanderslice's newest one, Romanian Names.

camisadelgolf
05-24-2009, 04:02 AM
I haven't heard Passion Pit's new album yet, but their EP is good. If it's anything like that, then I will probably enjoy it.
Yeah, they still have the same sound. Actually, "Sleepyhead" is on both releases.

missionhockey21
05-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I've been listening to that actually lately, it's a great album.

Passion Pit - Manners
Mike Posner & The Brain Trust - A Matter of Time
Dance Gavin Dance - Happiness
Yusuf - Roadsinger

cinredsfan2000
06-01-2009, 06:07 PM
DESOLATION ROW -My Chemical Romance
Off of the watchmen soundtrack Never heard the original Dylan version i cant imaigne it's a straight up copy:eek:

Razor Shines
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Everywhere I go - Moose A. Moose "Cows are the mooiest, ghosts are the booiest."

camisadelgolf
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm digging the new stuff from The Eels. I can't stop listening to "Beginner's Luck".

For stuff that's a little older, I've been listening to a lot of Built to Spill, Archers of Loaf, and Smog.

*BaseClogger*
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse

*BaseClogger*
06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm digging the new stuff from The Eels. I can't stop listening to "Beginner's Luck".

For stuff that's a little older, I've been listening to a lot of Built to Spill, Archers of Loaf, and Smog.

Which album should I listen to first?

pedro
06-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse

great album.

camisadelgolf
06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Which album should I listen to first?

I would probably start with There's Nothing Wrong with Love, but almost all their albums are equal in quality. Let me know if you want me to upload anything.

schmidty622
06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon

Falls City Beer
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I would probably start with There's Nothing Wrong with Love, but almost all their albums are equal in quality. Let me know if you want me to upload anything.

I found Keep It Like a Secret to be the most immediately engaging. Though I think I like TNWwL as much. Unlike a lot of folks, I love their most recent one.

westofyou
06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I found Keep It Like a Secret to be the most immediately engaging. Though I think I like TNWwL as much. Unlike a lot of folks, I love their most recent one.

I agree on all counts, I just took a road trip and listened to TNWL and melodic wise it's not as bombastically excellent as the Keep it.

The new one is better than the prior one much so.

CrackerJack
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
The first 4 Echo & The Bunnymen albums are still underrated classics, at least in the U.S., and I still listen to them fairly regularly.

vaticanplum
06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I really like the new Grizzly Bear album, Veckatimest (I have no idea what that title's about). It's not as weird or varied as some of their other stuff, so it doesn't have the high or low points that I've run into with them before, but it's very...lush. And good. The first song is my favorite I think.

I'm also on a huge Yankee Hotel Foxtrot kick. That album is aging so well. There's not a clunker on it. Very much of its time and still melodic and musical.

And I'm listening to a lot of Elton John. Because to me nothing says summer like Bennie and the Jets. And HONKY CAT. I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me.

pedro
06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I agree on all counts, I just took a road trip and listened to TNWL and melodic wise it's not as bombastically excellent as the Keep it.

The new one is better than the prior one much so.

I really like "Ancient Melodies...". The new one is good but it definitely took me longer to get into than the past ones.

paintmered
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM

I've listened to Carbon Leaf for a few years now and do like their sound. I love "Indian Summer" (big sucker for the hooks in "What About Everything?"), but thought "Love Loss Hope Repeat" was mediocre.

I'm listening to their new album right now (I love Rhapsody).

Edit: I'm not digging their newest album either.

Redhook
06-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon

Well played.

Best band on the planet right now, IMO.

missionhockey21
06-02-2009, 10:51 PM

New Eels is the real deal, seriously.

*BaseClogger*
06-03-2009, 12:50 AM
What music makes you think of summer?

For me it's 311, Modest Mouse, and Dinosaur Jr....

Larry Schuler
06-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Kings of Leon are good, my problem with them is that people who self admittedly don't listen to very much music will say "I love Kings of Leon!"

Razor Shines
06-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Kings of Leon are good, my problem with them is that people who self admittedly don't listen to very much music will say "I love Kings of Leon!"

No arrogance in that statement. Are you every cool person I meet in downtown Austin? "Bro, Kings were good like 3 years ago when they played SXSW and they weren't on the radio." :D

Larry Schuler
06-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Kings of Leon were always actually a pretty huge "indie" band so they were never anyone's best kept secret. It's just disconcerting to hear them being played in between hip hop songs at the local bar/club.

Razor Shines
06-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Kings of Leon were always actually a pretty huge "indie" band so they were never anyone's best kept secret. It's just disconcerting to hear them being played in between hip hop songs at the local bar/club.

Yeah, believe me I know what you're saying, I just don't understand it. How does being popular make them any less good? Maybe that's not the argument that you are making, but that's the argument I've been given before.

And I've only in the last year or so become of fan them because I heard one of their songs on the radio, very uncool, so it's not like I'm a die hard fan defending them. It's something I generally don't understand about a lot of bands that go from indie (or more correctly 'somewhat indie') to popular.

Redhook
06-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, believe me I know what you're saying, I just don't understand it. How does being popular make them any less good? Maybe that's not the argument that you are making, but that's the argument I've been given before.

And I've only in the last year or so become of fan them because I heard one of their songs on the radio, very uncool, so it's not like I'm a die hard fan defending them. It's something I generally don't understand about a lot of bands that go from indie (or more correctly 'somewhat indie') to popular.

Good post.

I've been listening them for a few years now. Their new album is still my least favorite, but I still like it a lot. Personally, I'm glad they're getting the recognition they deserve. They're one hell of a good band. All their songs are good. They don't have a weakness.

pedro
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM

New Eels is great.

I listened to "Icky Mettle" by the Archers the other day. Still a great, great album. They were one fine live band too. I miss them.

schmidty622
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Good post.

I've been listening them for a few years now. Their new album is still my least favorite, but I still like it a lot. Personally, I'm glad they're getting the recognition they deserve. They're one hell of a good band. All their songs are good. They don't have a weakness.

I recently got really into them after seeing a live half hour thing on them at Glastonbury. Aha Shake Heartbreak and Because of The Times are my two favorite albums right now. Youth and Young Manhood has some real good songs, most notably Trani, but I just don't dig that sound as much as those other two. The new album has some good tracks too but I don't think it's nearly as good as the other three.

I think Arizona is my favorite song from these guys.

Caveat Emperor
06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I've listened to Carbon Leaf for a few years now and do like their sound. I love "Indian Summer" (big sucker for the hooks in "What About Everything?"), but thought "Love Loss Hope Repeat" was mediocre.

I'm listening to their new album right now (I love Rhapsody).

Edit: I'm not digging their newest album either.

I actually saw them last night at the 20th Century Theater in Oakley. They're always a really good live act and didn't disappoint last night. The venue is just about perfectly sized, and it let them do some acoustic stuff too, which was neat.

I've been listening to them since I was living in Virginia while in high school. Their early stuff (especially off "Echo, Echo" and "Indian Summer") is fantastic. I liked "Love Loss Hope Repeat" as well, but not to the level of the previous two ("Comfort" and "The War Was in Color" are the two stand out tracks on it). Their new album, though, is not great. It sounds like they're just sorta going through the motions and the record reflects it with some really generic tunes -- there's not nearly enough of their folksy/irish type sound on it. It's good background music, but nothing more than that.

My opinion was reinforced slightly at the show last night -- none of the new tunes carries the same punch as "Desperation Song" or has the same kind of infectous hooks as "Life Less Ordinary" or "Let Your Troubles Roll By." Maybe my opinion will change a little with time.

Caveat Emperor
06-03-2009, 02:45 PM
By contrast, the new Dave Matthews Band album is fantastic. Easily their best work in over 10 years.

Their work with Rob Cavallo really paid off -- most of the upbeat songs have great hooks (none better than "Shake Me Like a Monkey," which has a great Peter Gabriel type vibe and salvages some bad writing with the best DMB hook in years) and the production is slick without being overbearing.

All of the songs are good, with some of the songs ("Squirm", "Lying in the Hands of God", and "Spaceman") being strong enough to compete with the band's best material from the mid-90s.

It's nice to hear a band I've been following for a long time actually produce a really good record that doesn't leave me thinking "Yeah, but the older stuff was way better."

RichRed
06-03-2009, 02:56 PM
"The War Was in Color"

That song gives me chills every time.

I have to agree about the new album. I like it well enough but it's a bit of a letdown.

TheBigLebowski
06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
New Ryan Bingham album - 7/10
New Ben Folds - 5/10
Been spinning a lot of old Josh Ritter stuff...also haven't had Dispatch's live album "All Points Bulletin" out of my changer for weeks. I can't think of any good reason to take it out.

Spitball
06-03-2009, 08:41 PM
About six weeks ago, my son loaned me his The Lonely Island CD. It is pretty good music, but basically it is very funny. They first gained success on SNL and the internet. Their "I'm on a Boat" and the Natalie Portman rap have become huge internet hits. "We Like Sports", "Jazz Man", "Dick in a Box", "Jizz in My Pants", and "Like a Boss" are also great songs on their not too long ago released Incredibad album.

If you are a SNL fan, I'm sure your familiar with this group.

SunDeck
06-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Defiance, Ohio right now.
I'm hooked on these kids. Talented musicians with lots lots of punk anger, but they channel it into some great songs.

Johnny Footstool
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Everywhere I go - Moose A. Moose "Cows are the mooiest, ghosts are the booiest."

Love that song.

Larry Schuler
06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
If you like Defiance, OH check out Andrew Jackson Jihad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqmDbGY0cXA

Johnny Footstool
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah, believe me I know what you're saying, I just don't understand it. How does being popular make them any less good?

It doesn't. But it makes it less cool to listen to them, because in music circles, it is very important to dislike things that are mainstream. Hipster credibility must be maintained.

I was that guy for a while. Then I realized it was more important to me to like what I liked, and to enjoy sharing those things with other people.

Lately, I'm going nuts for the new Silversun Pickups album. I keep singing "Substitution" over and over, in my head and out loud.

Larry Schuler
06-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Music isn't absorbed in a vacuum. Where you see/hear the music and how the band is advertised or promoted has an influence on how you digest the music. Yeah, if you love a band and think they are amazing of course it doesn't matter where you hear it or how overexposed it is but if you're lukewarm over a band overexposure can make the difference whether you go buy their album or take a pass.

Self-congratulating yourself for having graduated to listening to music devoid of all connotation is equally as pretentious as the hipster cliche thing everyone references when someone doesn't like a band they like.

nate
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Music isn't absorbed in a vacuum.

It is in outer space!

paintmered
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Music isn't absorbed in a vacuum.

We wouldn't be able to listen to it if it was. :D

Johnny Footstool
06-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Music isn't absorbed in a vacuum. Where you see/hear the music and how the band is advertised or promoted has an influence on how you digest the music. Yeah, if you love a band and think they are amazing of course it doesn't matter where you hear it or how overexposed it is but if you're lukewarm over a band overexposure can make the difference whether you go buy their album or take a pass.

Self-congratulating yourself for having graduated to listening to music devoid of all connotation is equally as pretentious as the hipster cliche thing everyone references when someone doesn't like a band they like.

I still think it's better to like what you like and not worry about whether someone else likes it or not. If that's self-congratulatory, then yay for me.

schmidty622
06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Bloc Party – Intimacy

Outstanding.

TRF
06-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm listening to pandora.com. :)

camisadelgolf
06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm listening to Sun Kil Moon, Iron & Wine, St. Vincent, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, The Suffocation Keep, Smog, Crystal Antlers, Wussy, The Decemberists, Metric, Passion Pit, Nada Surf, Peter Bjorn and John, Phoenix, Girl Talk, Grizzly Bear, Ida Maria, Wolf Parade, Ian McLagan & the Bump Band, Heartless Bastards, The Network, White Rabbits, The Pomegranates, and a bunch more.

MilotheMayor
06-18-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm listening to Sun Kil Moon, Iron & Wine, St. Vincent, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, The Suffocation Keep, Smog, Crystal Antlers, Wussy, The Decemberists, Metric, Passion Pit, Nada Surf, Peter Bjorn and John, Phoenix, Girl Talk, Grizzly Bear, Ida Maria, Wolf Parade, Ian McLagan & the Bump Band, Heartless Bastards, The Network, White Rabbits, The Pomegranates, and a bunch more.
Someone here knows what's up.

*BaseClogger*
06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't get Girl Talk at all. They came to Miami back in April and everyone said the show was awful...

Larry Schuler
06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I can't get over the John Vanderslice/John Darnielle (Mountain Goats) split "Moon Colony Bloodbath". I've been listening to it on repeat for a month.

camisadelgolf
06-19-2009, 03:56 AM
I can't get over the John Vanderslice/John Darnielle (Mountain Goats) split "Moon Colony Bloodbath". I've been listening to it on repeat for a month.

I just saw Johsn Vanderslice for the third time on Monday night, and iwt was amazng. He just keeps getting btter and beter.

texasdave
06-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Blasts from the past listened to over the past few days:

Dada - El Subliminoso (not as good as Puzzle but still very listenable)

Kevin Salem - Soma City (solid effort from first song to last)

Sponge - Rotting Pinata (sixteen candles down the drain - nice)

LvJ
06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I just saw Johsn Vanderslice for the third time on Monday night, and iwt was amazng. He just keeps getting btter and beter. Not a fan. In fact, last night I went to see The Tallest Man On Earth (it was simply the 2nd most amazing piece of art to be placed in front of me). He opened for John Vanderslice. I stayed for the Tallest Man and then left. :p:

TC81190
06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't get Girl Talk at all. They came to Miami back in April and everyone said the show was awful...
He's not really my thing, he does have some pretty clever mash ups, but that's not really my style of music.

Although, I DO hear his live show is pretty impressive, not sure who said otherwise...

Larry Schuler
06-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Not a fan. In fact, last night I went to see The Tallest Man On Earth (it was simply the 2nd most amazing piece of art to be placed in front of me). He opened for John Vanderslice. I stayed for the Tallest Man and then left. :p:

That's nice.

I'll be seeing both on Monday.

LvJ
06-24-2009, 07:52 PM
That's nice.

I'll be seeing both on Monday. My friend shouted "Everyone can go home now!" after the tallest man was done. :bowrofl:

camisadelgolf
06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
The Tallest Man on Earth nearly stole the show--you're going to enjoy it, Baumer.

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
He's not really my thing, he does have some pretty clever mash ups, but that's not really my style of music.

Although, I DO hear his live show is pretty impressive, not sure who said otherwise...

I believe the problem was that it rained the day of the show so it was forced into our basketball arena. So instead of everybody doing their thing in the open outside they were forced to sit in arena seats. But nobody liked the music, which unless he is a DJ seems like the most important aspect to me... :dunno:

*BaseClogger*
06-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Sad Sappy Sucker by Modest Mouse is a great and underrated album by them. I absolutely love "Dukes Up"...

TC81190
06-27-2009, 12:39 AM
I believe the problem was that it rained the day of the show so it was forced into our basketball arena. So instead of everybody doing their thing in the open outside they were forced to sit in arena seats. But nobody liked the music, which unless he is a DJ seems like the most important aspect to me... :dunno:
He essentially is a DJ. Plays his shows like one too.

I'm sure there is an appeal to his stuff, and like I said, he does have some pretty clever mash-ups. But something just doesn't click there with me I guess.

Also, I'm sure I've already mentioned it once in this thread already but...I went out and bought Phoenix's Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix today (been listening a gratis for awhile.) Good stuff, much like the Strokes, but a bit poppier. Definitely going to be one of the better albums of the year.

TheBigLebowski
06-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Wilco comes out with a new album tomorrow, appropriately named "Wilco - The Album."

I didn't really like it at first but I can't stop listening to Damion Rice's 2nd album. It literally gets better every time you hear it.

Still haven't found a reason to take the Dispatch live album out of the changer, and I have a personal rule to keep at least one Ryan Adams or Whiskeytown album in the heavy rotation.

*BaseClogger*
06-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Still haven't found a reason to take the Dispatch live album out of the changer

I like this too...

Larry Schuler
06-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Vanderslice was great as usual but I notice a lot of his hits were missing from the set list. Underneath the Leaves, White Dove, Up Above the Sea, Time Travel is Lonely and Me and My 424 were all excluded.

cincinnati chili
07-11-2009, 02:41 AM
Gogol Bordello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8

marcshoe
07-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Wilco (The Album). Mostly gentle (sometimes seeming to have been lifted directly out of the late sixties/early seventies) with the notable exception of the frenetic "Bull Black Nova", which I like more every time I listen to it (although my Nova--my first car--was puke green.)

CrackerJack
07-12-2009, 01:07 AM
New Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr are quite good.

*BaseClogger*
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
New Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr are quite good.

pahster
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Neverending White Lights - Act II: The Blood and the Life Eternal

Pretty good album; slightly better than the first.

reds1869
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
The Dead Weather just released their debut "Horehound" and it is pretty solid. The band is made up of members of the Raconteurs (and White Stripes as Jack White fronts both), Greenhornes, Kills, Queens of the Stone Age. I love Jack White's style and this is no exception...I would rank his projects as Raconteurs>White Stripes>Dead Weather, though that doesn't mean this project is bad by any stretch. If you like White's other work you'll love this.

*BaseClogger*
07-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I burned some CDs before I went up north for the weekend. My favorites were Maybe I'll Catch Fire by Alkaline Trio, Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age, System of a Down by System of a Down, White Blood Cells by The White Stripes, and Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys...

missionhockey21
07-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Dananananaykroyd - Hey Everyone
Cobra Skulls - American Rubicon
Superchunk - Indoor Living
Vietnam Werewolf - Ohio's City
Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose

MilotheMayor
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Any fans of Yo La Tengo here?
http://www.matadorrecords.com/mpeg/yo_la_tengo/yo_la_tengo_here_to_fall.mp3
New song, "Here to Fall". Popular Songs should be another fantastic album to add to their catalog.

camisadelgolf
07-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I love Yo La Tengo. I saw them a few years ago at the Southgate House and had a blast. They played a surprisingly-long set, so I was extra happy.

At the moment, I'm listening to Cass McCombs, who will be opening for The Walkmen at the Mad Hatter tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc4rEokmYgU

pedro
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Any fans of Yo La Tengo here?
http://www.matadorrecords.com/mpeg/yo_la_tengo/yo_la_tengo_here_to_fall.mp3
New song, "Here to Fall". Popular Songs should be another fantastic album to add to their catalog.

love them. thanks for the link.

GIDP
07-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Listening to Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum. Just got turned onto them its a English alt rock band. Pretty much rocking my stones off.

pedro
07-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Magnolia Electric Company - Josephine

Thinking of going to see them on Friday.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Future of the Left - Travels With Myself And Another

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2009, 01:56 PM
You have some very good taste in music...

Hoosier Red
07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm certainly not a big local music person but I went to a bar Saturday night and saw a local girl Jenn Christy. Oddly enough she was a swimmer at IU when I was there(I even had to report on a few of her races, she would sing the national anthem before the meet began.)

Anyway thought she was pretty good.

www.jenncristy.com

camisadelgolf
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Future of the Left - Travels With Myself And Another
Were you at their show at the SGH? I was there and had a blast. They could've played in the ballroom, but they insisted on playing in a smaller room. I'm really glad they did.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Were you at their show at the SGH? I was there and had a blast. They could've played in the ballroom, but they insisted on playing in a smaller room. I'm really glad they did.

Nope, I just started picking up on them. I havent really heard of them until recently.

*BaseClogger*
08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm all about the Arctic Monkeys right now...

bucksfan2
08-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Jimmy Buffet last night :beerme:

Have been checking out The Hold Steady as of late. Pretty impressed with what I am hearing.

MilotheMayor
08-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm all about the Arctic Monkeys right now...
Have you listened to Humbug yet? It's been...around.

;)

Larry Schuler
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
New Third Eye Blind record.

I'm 13 again!

SunDeck
08-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Flogging Molly today.
I created a surf station on Pandora yesterday. Love that reverb.

*BaseClogger*
08-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Have you listened to Humbug yet? It's been...around.

;)

Don't you remember the downloading music thread... ;)

RedLakerFan24
08-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Creep- Radiohead
Sex And Candy- Marcy Playground
Lazy Eye- Silversun Pickups

cincyinco
08-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Can't put down phoenix's new album Wolfgang Amadeus..

Sweet...

forfreelin04
08-10-2009, 12:31 AM
A few songs from my latest mix:

(BTW, 3EB is sooooo middle school BAUMER)

City and Colour-Waiting
The National-Slow Show
Empire of the Sun-Walking on a Dream
Kasabian-Vlad the Impaler
Metric-Gimme Sympathy
White Rabbits-Percussion Gun
Radiohead-15 step

Larry Schuler
08-10-2009, 04:34 AM
New National in 2010!

dweston
08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Is almost always the iPod shuffle...2500 songs and everything from Sinatra to Slayer, so who knows what will bring next. Recently uploaded some Silversun Pickups, good stuff.

Redhook
08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Is almost always the iPod shuffle...2500 songs and everything from Sinatra to Slayer, so who knows what will bring next. Recently uploaded some Silversun Pickups, good stuff.

The Pickups are awesome. I'm going to see them play at Bogarts in Cincinnati September 14th. Can't wait.

MilotheMayor
08-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Does anyone here use a last.fm account? It would logically seem to be an ideal tool to keep track with everyone's past and current listening preferences.

marcshoe
08-12-2009, 01:38 AM
I listened to The Cages debut (and as far as I know, only) album today. Released around '92 or '93. I heard them on Mountain Stage, then on Leno, and bought the CD. Then, a few ads saying they would come to your dorm party (the "Strumming in your lap" tour), and they seemed to disappear.

Also still listening to the new Wilco. Interesting to find out they recorded it in Neil Finn's studio in New Zealand.

forfreelin04
08-12-2009, 02:05 AM
New National in 2010!

I can't wait. Besides the CD Boxer are there any other songs you recommend from other albums?

Larry Schuler
08-12-2009, 02:53 AM
I can't wait. Besides the CD Boxer are there any other songs you recommend from other albums?

Alligator is their first "masterpiece" or great album. Find that one.

Their first two cds are a very mixed, raw bag. "90 Mile Water Wall" and "Murder Me Rachel" are two good songs to check out but aren't similar to Boxer very much at all. I'd stick with Alligator and Boxer and if you're still curious, peek further.

TC81190
08-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Finally listening to Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear. The song Two Weeks is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Vee Dee – Public Mental Health System

pedro
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Metric

All their albums..

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I listened to The Cages debut (and as far as I know, only) album today. Released around '92 or '93. I heard them on Mountain Stage, then on Leno, and bought the CD. Then, a few ads saying they would come to your dorm party (the "Strumming in your lap" tour), and they seemed to disappear.

Also still listening to the new Wilco. Interesting to find out they recorded it in Neil Finn's studio in New Zealand.

I ripped a recent live Wilco show and burned it onto cds. Took 3 to get it all. Awesome stuff - all the new songs plus they even dipped into A.M. and YHF.