PDA

View Full Version : What am I listening to?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Razor Shines
08-20-2009, 07:36 AM
On shuffle I currently have:

Sister Hazel - Release
Reckless Kelly - Wicked Twist of Road
Brad Paisley - American Saturday Night
Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major (I know the suck live, and I know Baumer made fun of them in this thread, but I like 'em.)
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

*BaseClogger*
08-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I finally downloaded the Pavement discography. I'm also checking out the Minutemen, Fugazi, Superchunk, and the Deftones...

pedro
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
I finally downloaded the Pavement discography. I'm also checking out the Minutemen, Fugazi, Superchunk, and the Deftones...

Superchunk rules. As does Pavement

You might also like Firehose- "Ragin Full On" if you like the Minutemen

*BaseClogger*
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Superchunk rules. As does Pavement

You might also like Firehose- "Ragin Full On" if you like the Minutemen

Mike Watt is the man! :thumbup:

Larry Schuler
08-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major (I know the suck live, and I know Baumer made fun of them in this thread, but I like 'em.)

Dude, 3EB is my most favorite mainstream rock band in the world. Ursa Major is pretty good, much better than their last cd, but I don't know if I like it more than Blue or their self titled. Still, one of my favorite bands. :beerme:

camisadelgolf
08-21-2009, 08:52 AM
3EB's s/t debut is easily one of the best pop records of the 90s. Their other stuff doesn't come close to it, though.

Razor Shines
08-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Dude, 3EB is my most favorite mainstream rock band in the world. Ursa Major is pretty good, much better than their last cd, but I don't know if I like it more than Blue or their self titled. Still, one of my favorite bands. :beerme:

3EB's s/t debut is easily one of the best pop records of the 90s. Their other stuff doesn't come close to it, though.

I think I'd put Ursa Major even with Blue, but not as good as their self titled. I will say the more I listen to it, I think the song About to Break is one of their best songs on any album.

GIDP
08-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Primary Colours

Larry Schuler
09-04-2009, 06:00 AM
The new Brand New record Daisy is a nice kick in the pants. Much louder, darker and shabbier than any of their other records. I don't think it tops The Devil and God but it's pretty darn good! I think their last 3 albums have been awesome in totally different ways.

Redhook
09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Chevelle's new cd is very solid. Every song is good.

GIDP
09-04-2009, 08:13 AM
The new Brand New record Daisy is a nice kick in the pants. Much louder, darker and shabbier than any of their other records. I don't think it tops The Devil and God but it's pretty darn good! I think their last 3 albums have been awesome in totally different ways.

Picking this up right now

mole44
09-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Chevelle's new cd is very solid. Every song is good.
Yes every song is good, but every song seems to sound the same, to me, so far. Still a solid CD.

KittyDuran
09-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Actually listening to a lot of radio (mostly in the car) - there are 3 pretty good FM stations in the Cincinnati/Dayton area: 94.1 (C), 94.9 (C), and 92.9 (D). 94.1 is mostly adult alternative (?). 94.9 is 80s and 90s, and 92.9 will pretty much play anything. So once in a while I'll hear a song that I like but don't catch the title or artist. That's what happened Saturday in the car going to Columbus. While the song was playing I was blindly reaching into my purse fishing for a piece of paper and pen - then trying to write something legible. All I had was "I think I'm in love" "Pretty nervous to say so...". Thank goodness for Yahoo, Google, etc. The info came right up to Beck. Not a fan but once in a while his songs really catch me off guard. I haven't checked to see if the man has released a greatest hits album but I would certainly buy it.

nate
09-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I recently revisted a tune my wife and I used to listen to when we were dating, Eric Benet's "Love the Hurt Away."

That's an awesome jam.

Even if he did cheat on Halle Berry!

nate
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
And from the same album ("Day in the Life"), "When You Think of Me" - slick. Very cool scat doubling of the vibraphone solo (like all great tunes...lol)

Strikes Out Looking
09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I have fallen in love with the song "I and Love and You" by the Avett Brothers.

Larry Schuler
09-08-2009, 05:26 PM
"Wake Up, Little Suzie" by the Everly Brothers

jojo
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Merle Travis Pickin'/The Merle Travis Guitar and the Super Sonic Soul Pimps-3SP

westofyou
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Wilco - Wilco

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes

George Jones - The Door

*BaseClogger*
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
Grassroots - 311
SCi-Fi Crimes - Chevelle

TRF
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Fireflies by Owl City.

I simply cannot hear this song enough.

embeddig is disabled, but worth a click.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4JLa0hbUw&NR=1

MilotheMayor
09-09-2009, 10:14 AM
New Massive Attack EP.

So chill.

paintmered
09-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Fireflies by Owl City.

I simply cannot hear this song enough.

embeddig is disabled, but worth a click.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4JLa0hbUw&NR=1

Good stuff, I've been digging that song on Sirius Alt Nation recently. Every time I hear it I swear the lead singer was pulled straight out of Mae.

TC81190
09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
The Resistance by Muse. It was pretty boring and predictable, as I expected.

Caveat Emperor
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Bought the digital stereo remasters of "Sgt. Pepper" and "Magical Mystery Tour" -- the sound quality is amazing. I'm in love all over again.

Just to confuse the girl at Target, I also bought Raekwon's new CD "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II" -- which is similarly amazing. The Wu-production work has never sounded better, and there are some fantastic guest spots from Ghostface and Inspectah Deck. If you are at all a hip-hop fan from the mid-90s, you simply must own this album, IMO.

Razor Shines
09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Bought the digital stereo remasters of "Sgt. Pepper" and "Magical Mystery Tour" -- the sound quality is amazing. I'm in love all over again.

Just to confuse the girl at Target, I also bought Raekwon's new CD "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II" -- which is similarly amazing. The Wu-production work has never sounded better, and there are some fantastic guest spots from Ghostface and Inspectah Deck. If you are at all a hip-hop fan from the mid-90s, you simply must own this album, IMO.

CD? And what do you play "CDs" on, Dad?

I am listening to Howie Day's new one called Sound the Alarm, which ironically is exactly what he shouts if one of the 18 y/o girls he's locked in the bathroom of his tour bus attempts to escape.

Caveat Emperor
09-10-2009, 03:55 PM
CD? And what do you play "CDs" on, Dad?

I am listening to Howie Day's new one called Sound the Alarm, which ironically is exactly what he shouts if one of the 18 y/o girls he's locked in the bathroom of his tour bus attempts to escape.

My car stereo. It's a GM -- not iPod enabled.

Only way to buy the new Beatles is on CD. It necessitates certain buying methods. ;)

pedro
09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Live show by M Ward on NPR

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112685377&sc=fb&cc=fp

TRF
09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Mirah - Cold Cold Water.

Awesome voice.

wolfboy
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
http://www.colbernation.com is streaming the new album by The Flaming Lips (embryonic) for those who might be interested.

*BaseClogger*
09-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Thursday, September 17
Pavement Confirm 2010 World Tour
FYI: "This tour is not a prelude to additional jaunts and/or a permanent reunion." Pavement Confirm 2010 World Tour

As you may have heard, noted indie rock band Pavement are reuniting next year. And if you don't believe us, maybe you'll believe Matador, who made things very clear in a blog post this morning: "Mark Ibold, Scott 'Spiral Stairs' Kannberg, Stephen Malkmus, Bob Nastanovich and Steve West [are] reuniting for dates around the world in 2010."

Please stop hyperventilating, you're going to scare someone.

http://pitchfork.com/news/36516-pavement-confirm-2010-world-tour/

pedro
09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/36516-pavement-confirm-2010-world-tour/

I just picked up tickets for Central Park next september. Definitely will be seeing them if they come to west coast as well. Malkmus lives about a mile from me so I assume they'll play here.

Eric_the_Red
09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Anybody picked up Backspacer, the new album from Pearl Jam? I am loving it! It is a definite departure for Ed & co., from sound/style to tone. More of a pop-rock album than grunge or hard rock, and lots of positive vibes lyrically.

This is Pearl Jam's 9th album, and ranks up their as one of their best. Good to see they still have it. Also, I can't wait for them to tour the States next year. Hopefully they play Cincy, as their last show there in 2006 was practically a religious experience.

jojo
09-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Fu Manchu..... the mongoose flies dude....

camisadelgolf
09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Anybody picked up Backspacer, the new album from Pearl Jam? I am loving it! It is a definite departure for Ed & co., from sound/style to tone. More of a pop-rock album than grunge or hard rock, and lots of positive vibes lyrically.

This is Pearl Jam's 9th album, and ranks up their as one of their best. Good to see they still have it. Also, I can't wait for them to tour the States next year. Hopefully they play Cincy, as their last show there in 2006 was practically a religious experience.
I'm really digging Backspacer. It's my favorite album of theirs since Yield.

pedro
09-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I went and saw Modest Mouse on sunday night and am going to see them again tonight.

One of the openers "Mimicking Birds" is a new band to watch for.

Good stuff.

Larry Schuler
09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
The only way that band can be anymore pretentious or Pitchfork pre-approved is if they had named themselves Mimicking Pajaros. :D

pedro
09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
dumb name. good band.

Larry Schuler
09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I just want everyone to know Pedro and I worked out this small issue in a very civil manner over PM, so no one else needs to chime in on this. Thanks.

Razor Shines
09-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I just want everyone to know Pedro and I worked out this small issue in a very civil manner over PM, so no one else needs to chime in on this. Thanks.

Thank God. Whew, I thought I was going to have to call in to work tomorrow.

Larry Schuler
09-22-2009, 07:05 PM
:D

redsmetz
09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I just got The Traveling Wilburys Collection from Rhino, a 2 CD set plus a DVD. The CD's are the two albums the group made plus about five extra tracks. The DVD was great with it's history of the Wilburys and it was fascinating to see the guys writing the songs on the spot each day. They all seemed to be having a lot of fun and while it wasn't a real touring group, you can see that this collection of big stars (Jeff Lynne was the only one not a "big star") made some fine music together and flat out enjoyed themselves.

Tony_Danza
09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Four. Non. Blondes.

Need I say more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXcQGsoDkDk

BillDoran
09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Circulatory System - Signal Morning

If you enjoy the Elephant 6 brand of psychedelia, then you will certainly enjoy this album. One of my favorites of the year.

Also, got to see them play live last week at Chopin Theater. It was good to see Will Cullen Hart playing and looking happy after his MS diagnosis.

camisadelgolf
09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm listening to The Dead Milkmen. I wonder what I'd have to do to play a show with them . . .

pedro
09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm listening to Grand by Matt & Kim.

Fun record

*BaseClogger*
09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm listening to The Dead Milkmen. I wonder what I'd have to do to play a show with them . . .

Weird. My friend just gave me their first album because I mentioned the Minutemen, and I'm enjoying it... :thumbup:

AccordinglyReds
09-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Casey Donahew Band- 12 Gauge

Degenerate39
09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm listening to all of the Tesla songs I can find on Youtube. Really good band I can't believe I haven't listened to them before today

Ravenlord
09-26-2009, 12:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iijKLHCQw5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGvYgNvIefc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQXY4qnFNs

redsfandan
09-26-2009, 12:41 AM
They're still around???

I'm listening to all of the Tesla songs I can find on Youtube. Really good band I can't believe I haven't listened to them before today
Good band. Too bad their time in the spotlight wasn't longer but then grunge took over. Still put out some good stuff.

camisadelgolf
09-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Some friends and I saw the Dead Milkmen in Baltimore not too long ago. I was surprised they were still around, too.

redsfandan
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
The The - "Armageddon Days Are Here [Again] "

westofyou
09-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Sigur Rós - Takk

*BaseClogger*
09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Tuesday, September 29
Thom Yorke Starts New Band With Flea From Red Hot Chili Peppers

The steady flow of recent Thom Yorke news continues with an exciting new development. Yorke has posted on Radiohead's blog that he has started a new band to perform his solo material. The band (pictured above) consists of himself, Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, Beck/R.E.M. drummer Joey Waronker, percussionist/multi-instrumentalist Mauro Refosco, and... Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea. Yes, Flea.

Two shows have been scheduled for the as-yet-unnamed band: October 4 and 5 at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles. Thom writes, "the set will not be very long cuz ..well ...we haven't got that much material yet!"

The only question is: will Flea keep his shirt on?

http://pitchfork.com/news/36635-thom-yorke-starts-new-band-with-flea-from-red-hot-chili-peppers/

vaticanplum
09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
The Walkmen. I remember hearing their first record several years back and being unimpressed, but I recently got a copy of You & Me, and I really like it. I love the sound of it -- it gives the impression of being recorded in an enormous wood and velvet room. It's just an incredibly romantic record.

10-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Truckstop Honeymoon- I love the way they sound.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9TUij22IE8

Skip to about 4:15 to get past the chat in the next one.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTSyqGNZbU

Razor Shines
10-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Robert Earl Keen - The Rose Hotel

pedro
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Built to Spill - There is No Enemy

Just came out today. It's fabulous.

nate
10-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm probably late to "discovering" this, but I've been checking out "Live from Daryl's House (http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/index.php)" - Daryl Hall invites artists old and new to come over and play tunes with him and his friends (who are some smokin' "cats").

10-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Looks like Mojo Nxon is offering his entire catalog for free. Elvis is everywhere, man!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QKA298/ref=dm_dp_adp

will5979
10-08-2009, 08:30 AM
They're still around???

Good band. Too bad their time in the spotlight wasn't longer but then grunge took over. Still put out some good stuff.

That is the main reason I detest grunge. They ruined it for most of the best "hard rock" bands during the hair metal era.

These bands were only "visual" hair bands that sported the aqua net look, however musically they are a true hard classic rock bands.

Van Hagar (did continue to thrive in the 90s until Hagar departure, so they shouldn't really be on this list, Balance released in 95 was arguably Van Hagar's finest album, it had successful sales, a killer tour, and it was one of those albums that is great from beginning to end.)
Motley Crue (would have continued to thrive if the stupid hard harded fans would have given John Corabi a chance, he was 10 times the vocalist of Vince Neil, and actually converted that band from a hair band to a true metal band; if you don't know what I'm talking about just listen to the 94 Motley Crue album, unreal!)
GNR (would have continued to thrive if not for the turmoil of Axl/Slash, and even Ozzy Osbourne himself said this band could have been the next Rolling Stones. I really believe that this is the most epic, unique band in the history of rock, their sound is like none other and Axl is a musical genius)
Tesla (unfortunately lumped in with the hair bands)
Def Leppard (after Steve Clark passed the band quickly went downhill, Adrenalized was their last great album. Vivian Campbell is such a tool! I never did like him.)
Great White-this band like Tesla should not be classified as a hair band...they both had too much of a bluesy classic rock sound.
LA Guns-just a good band with a hard classic sound much Tesla and Great White. Yes I know the ballad of Jayne is on every Monster Ballads CD but that is one killer tune with grat lyrics and guitar riffs.

will5979
10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
The same can be said about grunge bands as well, their were some bands that were so great that it is unfair to lump them into that grunge movement of the early 90s.

Alice in Chains-this band was the GNR of the 90s. Too bad Layne Staley is dead, however their new album is great and it sounds like classic AIC. Don't insult this band by calling them grunge, they are just too good!

Soundgarden-just a good hard rock band.

*BaseClogger*
10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I've heard a lot of complaints about grunge music, but that's the first time I have read someone complain that it killed hair metal... :lol:

TC81190
10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
The Walkmen. I remember hearing their first record several years back and being unimpressed, but I recently got a copy of You & Me, and I really like it. I love the sound of it -- it gives the impression of being recorded in an enormous wood and velvet room. It's just an incredibly romantic record.
If you enjoy the Walkmen, you might like their 1st and 2nd records as well. You & Me isn't a particularly bad album, but I thought their 1st two albums were their best.

They're one of my favorite bands.

TC81190
10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/36635-thom-yorke-starts-new-band-with-flea-from-red-hot-chili-peppers/
file that under "what the hell?"

*BaseClogger*
10-08-2009, 05:34 PM
file that under "what the hell?"

Like, I know, right?

I have heard they have some decent chemistry together though...

TC81190
10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Like, I know, right?

I have heard they have some decent chemistry together though...

As have I. It would be an interesting show to see.

Tony_Danza
10-09-2009, 02:09 AM
im listening to ace of base right now..... so mid 90's....

LOL

camisadelgolf
10-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Monsters of Folk

It's magnificent.

jojo
10-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Robin Trower's latest live album (Seven Moons Live)....he and Jack Bruce toured Europe in support of their recent studio album.... they (RT and JB) still have it....

will5979
10-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I've heard a lot of complaints about grunge music, but that's the first time I have read someone complain that it killed hair metal... :lol:

Hey dude, hair metal was what rock n roll is all about; leather jackets, Harley Davidsons, arena concerts, partying, fast cars, fast women, and having a good time! Beats the crap outta that I hate my life and my mom and dad gloom and doom Seattle crap.

westofyou
10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Is Rock really about bad songs structure and insipid lyrics?

Tony Cloninger
10-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Echo & the Bunnymen is back out here....have not seen them since 1987. Very good band and now an oldies band to feel nostalgic about.

I remember LA Guns when Axl Rose was with them. They played at Timber's which was in Glendora ( about 20-30 miles from LA) That was a cool little club. The Bangles played there when they were a cool Beatles like girl group and not the homogenized sounding one that came after they signed with a big label.

*BaseClogger*
10-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Not that a majority of grunge--especially a bit later on--didn't have that too... ;)

will5979
10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Something to Believe in-a song that was dedicated about the loss of Bret Micheals' best friend. Is that insipid? Do you have a self-esteem issue or something to use all these words that people don't know the meaning to? Cause I have a friend that does it to make up for lack of self-esteem.

pedro
10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah stop using these bigs words like insipid. Next thing you'll be telling us you put something called mayonnaise on your sammiches.

westofyou
10-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Something to Believe in-a song that was dedicated about the loss of Bret Micheals' best friend. Is that insipid? Do you have a self-esteem issue or something to use all these words that people don't know the meaning to? Cause I have a friend that does it to make up for lack of self-esteem.

Nice..... so are you a Jungian or a Freudian?

cincyinco
10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Robin Trower's latest live album (Seven Moons Live)....he and Jack Bruce toured Europe in support of their recent studio album.... they (RT and JB) still have it....

Trower is a truley underrated musician. I have a couple of his albums on vinyl in the ol' collection. Great stuff. I'll be sure to check out the latest, didn't even know he was still touring.

:thumbup:

westofyou
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Trower is a truley underrated musician. I have a couple of his albums on vinyl in the ol' collection. Great stuff. I'll be sure to check out the latest, didn't even know he was still touring.

Without Trower there is no Soundgarden

jojo
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah stop using these bigs words like insipid.

Dodge makes those still don't they? :cool:

marcshoe
10-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Hair metal killed Rock n' Roll. Grunge merely shovelled dirt on the grave.

Rock is dead; Long live rock.

pedro
10-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Rock is actually quite alive. Rumors of its' demise notwithstanding.

nate
10-09-2009, 02:02 PM

I think Winger was Jungian and Night Ranger was (were?) Freudian.

pedro
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM

It's a little known fact that Warrant's "Cherry Pie" was a plea to end world hunger.

will5979
10-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Not very familiar with the works of Carl Jung; Sigmund Freud I do believe was perverted, considering how he liked to think that the id, ego, superego and everything else in the human mind has to do with, well you know "relations."

But thats just my opinion.

will5979
10-09-2009, 02:20 PM

"Leave me alone don't want your promises no more...
Cause Rock n Roll is my religion and my love...
Won't ever change,
May think its strange.
You Can't Kill Rock n' Roll,
It here to stay, yeah!"

marcshoe
10-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Rock is actually quite alive. Rumors of its' demise notwithstanding.

Which is why I included the last bit. fwiw, it's dead for the moment as a pop music force, but maybe more alive than it has been in decades, in large part due to the way digital music has changed our culture.

Listen to top-40 radio, you'd think it's dead, but in reality what's dead is top-40 radio.

marcshoe
10-10-2009, 10:30 AM

I once saw Kip Winger in WaldenBooks reading an article about himself in a magazine. That seems vaguely Jungian.

But yeah, Night Ranger was (were if you're in England) definitely Freudian. Sister Christian and all.

*BaseClogger*
10-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Which is why I included the last bit. fwiw, it's dead for the moment as a pop music force, but maybe more alive than it has been in decades, in large part due to the way digital music has changed our culture.

Listen to top-40 radio, you'd think it's dead, but in reality what's dead is top-40 radio.

Excellent post... :thumbup:

pedro
10-10-2009, 01:38 PM

Indeed.

Ravenlord
10-18-2009, 07:17 PM
fun with a traditional ballad about the hero Siegfried from the Faroe Islands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5zNK--DUDg

Redhook
10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Trani by Kings of Leon. Just a badass song by one of the best, if not the best, bands in the world right now.

Larry Schuler
10-21-2009, 08:50 PM
These two songs, at the height of their airplay, were equally considered "amazing" "epic" "emotional" rock songs in a completely non-ironic and sincere way and were played nearly every 20 minutes on modern rock radio.

We know what ended up happening to one of them. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUFDOlO6B2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFn2pBAiwuk

Tony Cloninger
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Now that U2 is touring...I have started to listen to a lot of their stuff that I had forgotten about.

New Years Day will always be one of my favorite songs by anybody. I was in high school when it came out.

In God's Country and One Tree Hill.... I barely remembered them but i have been listening to them over and over. Great songs.

*BaseClogger*
10-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I just bougth three used CDs on Amazon for less than $15:

Tossing Seeds by Superchunk

Mcluskyism by Mclusky

Humbug by Arctic Monkeys

TC81190
10-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I constantly have Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear on right now. I probably mentioned that at some point in this thread.

SullyGator
10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Now that U2 is touring...I have started to listen to a lot of their stuff that I had forgotten about.

New Years Day will always be one of my favorite songs by anybody. I was in high school when it came out.

In God's Country and One Tree Hill.... I barely remembered them but i have been listening to them over and over. Great songs.

Those are all classics. Doesn't get much better than U2. Not as hard as I usually listen to, but their emotion is second to none :D.

RichRed
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I constantly have Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear on right now. I probably mentioned that at some point in this thread.

The other day, I heard "While You Wait for the Others" by Grizzly Bear with Michael McDonald as the lead singer. Yes, THAT Michael McDonald. That one really threw me for a loop.

MilotheMayor
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
My Bloody Valentine, Ride and Slowdive.

Any shoegaze fans here?

pedro
10-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I've been listening to little slowdive lately. They got mixed in on some "genious" mixes I made. I had totally forgotten about them.

I went and saw Yo La Tengo the other night and they're still a great band.

camisadelgolf
10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Yo La Tengo is one of my favorite live bands. The first time I saw them, they played past last call.

Redhook
10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Feeling a little instrumental tonight....

First, I listened to Orion by Metallica. Awesome.

Now, I'm listening to Beethoven's Greatest Hits. Pretty incredible music.

Ravenlord
10-24-2009, 03:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I1geB7U5VI

if you know the story of the hero Sinclair, this is somewhat familiar, as its just closely related enough to follow what's going on (the language is Faroese).

for the last three weeks i have been utterly stuck on new to me bands, Eluvitie and Tyr.

SullyGator
10-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Battery (S&M) - Metallica :)

Ravenlord
10-25-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4BUkOjxuZo

Jpup
10-27-2009, 11:00 AM
New Creed CD out today. "Full Circle". I went this morning and picked it up. Good stuff so far.

nate
10-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I recently saw a Gabriel Kelley (http://www.gabrielkelley.com) set at the Exit Inn here in Nashville. Nice sort of Americana vibe with excellent musicianship. They did a three-piece "sit down" of bass, guitar and Gabriel who played guitar, harmonica, sang and foot tamborine (simultaneously); it was nice!

Razor Shines
10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Flight of the Conchords - I Told You I Was Freaky

Johnny Footstool
10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
These two songs, at the height of their airplay, were equally considered "amazing" "epic" "emotional" rock songs in a completely non-ironic and sincere way and were played nearly every 20 minutes on modern rock radio.

We know what ended up happening to one of them. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUFDOlO6B2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFn2pBAiwuk

Well, one is a preachy, ham-fisted gospel number that includes the phrase "golden streams" unironically, sung by a humorless, shirtless, Pearl Jam-wannabe band.

The other is a decent-enough rock ballad from a group of not-quite-shirtless alt-rock darlings who have achieved a unique, original sound in the past, but have toned down their edge in order to broaden their audience.

I can see the potential comps, but while Creed exemplifies hubris and self-righteousness, Kings of Leon do have actual artistic talent. I see KOL aging far better than Scott Stapp did.

Larry Schuler
10-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Well, one is a preachy, ham-fisted gospel number that includes the phrase "golden streams" unironically, sung by a humorless, shirtless, Pearl Jam-wannabe band.

The other is a decent-enough rock ballad from a group of not-quite-shirtless alt-rock darlings who have achieved a unique, original sound in the past, but have toned down their edge in order to broaden their audience.

I can see the potential comps, but while Creed exemplifies hubris and self-righteousness, Kings of Leon do have actual artistic talent. I see KOL aging far better than Scott Stapp did.

Agreed. Just saying there was a time when Creed's Higher was played every 20 minutes on modern rock radio. I also clearly remember hearing a KROQ DJ call it the "greatest song ever written" without irony. Since then bands like Linkin Park and other rap/rock/punk hybrid bands have put their strangleholds on DJ playlists, but if I can remember Use Somebody is the first soft-edge rock ballad to pervade modern rock waves at Higher's magnitude.

Anyway, if you just play those songs back to back there are a lot of similarities musically and, to me as someone who over-analyzes music, it's very interesting and funny to think a legit underground scene band like Kings of Leon have achieved their greatest success by recording and releasing a Creed song.

Patrick Bateman
10-29-2009, 01:35 AM
The newest Muse is really really good.

TC81190
10-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Agreed. Just saying there was a time when Creed's Higher was played every 20 minutes on modern rock radio. I also clearly remember hearing a KROQ DJ call it the "greatest song ever written" without irony. Since then bands like Linkin Park and other rap/rock/punk hybrid bands have put their strangleholds on DJ playlists, but if I can remember Use Somebody is the first soft-edge rock ballad to pervade modern rock waves at Higher's magnitude.

Anyway, if you just play those songs back to back there are a lot of similarities musically and, to me as someone who over-analyzes music, it's very interesting and funny to think a legit underground scene band like Kings of Leon have achieved their greatest success by recording and releasing a Creed song.
didn't Sex On Fire chart higher?

pedro
10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I'll be listening to Brit Daniel of Spoon play a solo show in about 9 hours.

Johnny Footstool
10-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Good point. Hit radio and the general public love formulaic power ballads, and both songs drip with that formula.

Redhook
10-29-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm a huge Kings of Leon fan. It kind of irritates me that most people only know them from 'Use Somebody' or 'Sex on Fire'. Both songs are ok, but are easily some of their worst overall songs. Judging Kings of Leon by those two songs would be like judging a good cheeseburger based solely on a quarter pounder from McDonald's.

camisadelgolf
10-30-2009, 03:30 AM
That's an interesting way of putting it, Redhook. I'd say that their most recent album is clearly their worst but decent. However, it far supersedes nearly all other pop rock releases in recent memory.

*BaseClogger*
10-30-2009, 03:32 AM
That's an interesting way of putting it, Redhook. I'd say that their most recent album is clearly their worst but decent. However, it far supersedes nearly all other pop rock releases in recent memory.

I DL'ed it the week it came out, and I liked 'Closer', 'Crawl', and 'Sex on Fire', which had admittedly been out for a few weeks. The rest of the album was kinda meh IMO...

will5979
10-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Watched a rock doc last night about the bands of the sunset strip...put me in an 80s metal mood this morning...

ON my to work this morning listened to the following...

1. Back for More-RaTT
2. Smooth UP in Ya-BulletBoys
3. Uh! All Night-KISS
4. Gods of War-Def Lep
5. The Zoo-Scorpions
6. Rocket Queen-GNR
7. Blood Pollution-Steeldragon (Actually the band was formed for the movie Rock Star and it consists of the lead singer from Steelheart and Zack Wylde)

Man I miss the 80s! Good times, care free lifestyle.

Johnny Footstool
10-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Loved the BulletBoys back in the day. Their version of "Hang On St. Christopher" was actually better than Tom Waits' original.

marcshoe
11-06-2009, 08:01 PM
With (no) apologies to the Beatle-haters out there, I just picked up The remastered White Album and am currently uploading disc one.

GIDP
11-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Black Keys

How did I never know about these guys. Nothing is better than blues/rock and these guys are awesome at it.

pedro
11-07-2009, 05:32 PM
WOY and I will be seeing Dinosaur Jr. in about 7 hours.

*BaseClogger*
11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
WOY and I will be seeing Dinosaur Jr. in about 7 hours.

One of their last few shows of this tour in the States.

What do you people think of Guided By Voices?

pedro
11-08-2009, 04:41 AM
One of their last few shows of this tour in the States.

What do you people think of Guided By Voices?

GBV is one of the greatest bands ever.

pedro
11-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Dinosaur Jr. was great too, my ears are ringing...

westofyou
11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
What do you people think of Guided By Voices?Life without GBV would be a sad affair.

klw
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Listening to last nights's Springsteen show from MSG. He played all of Wild Innocent and the E Street Shuffle in a row. Brought out horns, strings, the works. Good recording too. Some really interesting shows of late, has a last E Street Band tour feel about it unfortunately..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqy60iBbm3o

BillDoran
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Life without GBV would be a sad affair.

Alien Lanes is one of my five favorite albums. I saw them at Al Rosa Villa on the Electrifying Conclusion tour. I was twenty-one and it changed the trajectory of my life.

GIDP
11-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Pepper

*BaseClogger*
11-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Pepper

A band or the song by the Behind Surfers?

GIDP
11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
A band or the song by the Behind Surfers?

A band. They are very similar to Sublime

pedro
11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Going to see Pinback tonight.

kaldaniels
12-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Sigur Ros anyone? They are pretty incredible.

camisadelgolf
12-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I just saw an amazing show at the Northside Tavern last night. It started with Wonky Tonk, one of the best bands in the city. After that was Those Darlins, who have a huge buzz going about them. And then it was The King Khan & BBQ Show, who really put on a great show. I won't give details, though, because it's something that needs to be experienced first hand.

PedroBourbon
12-07-2009, 09:08 AM
With (no) apologies to the Beatle-haters out there, I just picked up The remastered White Album and am currently uploading disc one.

On that note, bought Cheap Trick's live performance of the Sgt. Pepper Album. They have played a few of these songs for years but recently performed/recorded the whole album.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2009, 04:04 AM
I just saw an amazing show at the Northside Tavern last night. It started with Wonky Tonk, one of the best bands in the city. After that was Those Darlins, who have a huge buzz going about them. And then it was The King Khan & BBQ Show, who really put on a great show. I won't give details, though, because it's something that needs to be experienced first hand.

You need to let me know next time you are seeing a show in Cincy. Please make it a band I've hard of though... ;)

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Goat by The Jesus Lizard
OK Computer by Radiohead
My Brain Hurts by Screeching Weasel
Bakesale by Sedadoh
Tossing Seeds by Superchunk
The Body, The Blood, The Machine by The Thermals

Ravenlord
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkpChBvSe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQXY4qnFNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpqamyQKjgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRKqd4CLSmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbcwOHvoZbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ift85e38H3M

Dom Heffner
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Tennessee Line by Daughtry. I forgot how much I like Vince Gill's voice.

camisadelgolf
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I can't get enough of The Avett Brothers' new album. I'm also listening to a lot of Devendra Banhart (great songwriter), Extra Golden (if you like a combination of African and American music, this is great stuff), Drummer (playing at the SGH in January--I've got some good stories about them), La Roux (one of the best pop albums of the year), The Reatards (one of the most underrated bands of my generation imo), The Swell Season (have you seen the movie Once? it's the band from that movie), and Wolfmother (they've been playing with The Heartless Bastards, who I toured with, and their new album is excellent).

RichRed
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I can't get enough of The Avett Brothers' new album.

I'm just now discovering the Avett Bros. and I agree, the new album is terrific.

Handofdeath
12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I recently discovered that the White Stripes are very, very good.

camisadelgolf
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
*BC*, I'm going to be watching my friends play a show at the Southgate House tonight. I'll also be playing there on Monday.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
*BC*, I'm going to be watching my friends play a show at the Southgate House tonight. I'll also be playing there on Monday.

I got exams next week. Hit me up next semester...

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I can't get enough of The Avett Brothers' new album. I'm also listening to a lot of Devendra Banhart (great songwriter), Extra Golden (if you like a combination of African and American music, this is great stuff), Drummer (playing at the SGH in January--I've got some good stories about them), La Roux (one of the best pop albums of the year), The Reatards (one of the most underrated bands of my generation imo), The Swell Season (have you seen the movie Once? it's the band from that movie), and Wolfmother (they've been playing with The Heartless Bastards, who I toured with, and their new album is excellent).

I used to think I had a pretty good take on your tastes, but Wolfmother doesn't seem to fit at all...

Jack Burton
12-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

camisadelgolf
12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I used to think I had a pretty good take on your tastes, but Wolfmother doesn't seem to fit at all...
I've listened to two of their albums. The new one is excellent, but the one before it was just decent imo.

I don't really have a favorite genre that I listen to. In my car, I usually listen to bluegrass, but if you look on my iPod, you can find Kanye West, Mastodon, Roy Orbison, Girl Talk, Shellac, Dead Boys, Dashboard Confessional, BLK JKS, Pixies, Metallica, American Analog Set, Manu Chao, Liars, Wu-Tang Clan, Babatunde Olatunji, Bob Dylan, Tenacious D, Melvins, Nerf Herder, Built to Spill, and a bunch of other stuff that spans across nearly every genre there is. It's just really hard to put a label on my music taste other than 'good'.

Ravenlord
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

this is definitely not an album i would think to see here.

how did you get into Sepultura? i got into them from my older brother and his friends listening to "Roots Bloody Roots" incessently during a the summer of 98.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hwx0tmbLHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_6IjeprfEs

dougdirt
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
this is definitely not an album i would think to see here.

how did you get into Sepultura? i got into them from my older brother and his friends listening to "Roots Bloody Roots" incessently during a the summer of 98.

I found them through a BMX video in 1999. Was really into them for a few years. Still give them a listen every now and again if I am in a certain kind of mood.

Jack Burton
12-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Buddy of mine recommended them some time back, gave them a quick listen and really wasn't a huge fan at first. Now after listening to them for a while I'd say their top albums are arguably the best in the genre. Favorite song right now is "Inner Self", love that intro.

Handofdeath
12-14-2009, 04:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjTspCqvk8

Redhook
12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I recently discovered The White Stripes are very, very good 5 years ago. ;)

Handofdeath
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I recently discovered The White Stripes are very, very good 5 years ago. ;)

What can I say, I'm slow. I just recently discovered this one group called The Beatles, anybody know anything about them? :D

Ravenlord
12-19-2009, 10:01 PM
i think this might be one of the happiest and most mournful songs i've ever heard, and i have no idea what the lyrics are in English.

Ólavur Riddararós "Olav Knighthorse"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggIxM42ptiA

marcshoe
12-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Roseanne Cash's "The List" Very nice, with an impressive guest list (Springsteen, Jeff Tweedy, Rufus Wainwright, Neko Case, Elvis Costello.)

Razor Shines
01-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Arcade Fire - Funeral. I have to thank the Dan Patrick show for reminding me of this album. On his program they all sing along to Wake Up towards the end of Friday shows, it's actually kind of amusing.

BillDoran
01-29-2010, 01:02 AM

Jack White is a national treasure. I'd forsake my first born for a new White Stripes album that he sticks with the guitar.

I can't get enough Band of Horses. Cease to Begin and Everything All the Time (two fantastic album titles) may be two of my favorite albums of the aughts.

WMR
01-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Maybe my favorite acoustic performance ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAz0-pnszP8&feature=player_embedded#

Eric_the_Red
01-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Eddie Vedder's cover of "My City of Ruin" from the Kennedy Center Honors is amazing. Currently available as an iTunes download, with proceeds going to the children of Haiti.

frenetic wave
01-30-2010, 11:09 PM
This adorable, talented young lady has been rocking my world the last few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmF18jAPzA

And a great accoustic track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwyrZAxsc0k

TRF
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
I've been listening to Hurt, especially the last song on their latest CD, we're all gonna die.

great song.

02-03-2010, 08:44 AM
This is Will Kimbrough's tribute to Yo Yo Ma and Chuck Berry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9oJg1pOZGk

TRF
02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Not a real video, but you have to hear this.

We're all gonna die - Hurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLK6zh4uAUs

BillDoran
02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
New Jersey pysch-poppers Real Estate released an awesome debut album. Not going to blow you away, but phenomenal hazy, low-key listening.

camisadelgolf
02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
New Jersey pysch-poppers Real Estate released an awesome debut album. Not going to blow you away, but phenomenal hazy, low-key listening.
I agree. It's very good stuff, albeit not for everyone.

TC81190
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
The Antlers album Hospice that came out sometime last year is pretty good. I've been listening to that, particularly the track Bear.

SunDeck
02-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I've been listening to French music lately. I like this band, which is a little like Klezmer and French early 20th century stuff.

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm111960171/extraordinary-rendition-rupa-april-fishes-cd-cover-art.jpg

vaticanplum
03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Debut album from Real Estate, a bunch of kids from Jersey. Cannot get enough of it. This album is going to be fantastic in the summer.

TRF
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Flogging Molly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDSud7vAH_0

BillDoran
03-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Debut album from Real Estate, a bunch of kids from Jersey. Cannot get enough of it. This album is going to be fantastic in the summer.

Couldn't agree more. I've been listening to it on repeat for a month. I believe it coerced the spring and sunshine into visiting Chicago early.

I just discovered The Eels. Electro-Shock Blues is a landmark album.

vaticanplum
03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Couldn't agree more. I've been listening to it on repeat for a month. I believe it coerced the spring and sunshine into visiting Chicago early.

I just saw your posts above mine. Need to take some time before I post :)

paintmered
03-10-2010, 08:11 AM
We Were Promised Jetpacks

marcshoe
03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
As has been mentioned a couple of times, the latest Avett Brothers album.

Kingspoint
03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Casey Casum's American Top-40, March 13th, 1971.

Strikes Out Looking
03-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Just downloaded "The Big To Do" by the Drive By Truckers.

GIDP
03-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Listening to some Brand New

GIDP
03-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Them Crooked Vultures

Its a super group of
John Paul Jones - Led Zep basis
Dave Grohl - Foofighters, nirvana, about 150000 other things
Josh Homme - Lead singer of Queens of the Stone Age.

Pretty jamming stuff.

marcshoe
03-21-2010, 10:58 PM
When I was little (we're talking preschool through first grade), I listened to a Johnny Cash LP called "Bitter Tears", with songs about American Indians, over and over. Last night it occurred to me to look it up on I-tunes and purchase it. Heavy, heavy stuff. Makes you feel guilty listening to upbeat songs afterward.

Also still listening to the new Avett Brothers album. The more I listen, the more I like it.

Elam
03-22-2010, 01:25 AM
The Antlers album Hospice that came out sometime last year is pretty good. I've been listening to that, particularly the track Bear.

Fantastic Album.

gilpdawg
03-22-2010, 02:59 AM
The new Overkill "Ironbound" is my favorite record of 2010 so far, followed up closely by Jon Oliva's Pain "Festival." Also picked up the new Armored Saint, but haven't listened to it yet.

The Overkill album may be the best of their career. It smokes. I'd like to go see them when the swing through Bogart's in a couple of weeks, but I don't think I can get the night off.

pedro
03-22-2010, 01:50 PM
The new Overkill "Ironbound" is my favorite record of 2010 so far, followed up closely by Jon Oliva's Pain "Festival." Also picked up the new Armored Saint, but haven't listened to it yet.

The Overkill album may be the best of their career. It smokes. I'd like to go see them when the swing through Bogart's in a couple of weeks, but I don't think I can get the night off.

Those guys have been around for ever. I used to work at a grocery store in NJ with their drummer in 1985/86.

TRF
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
My son was in Cincinnati last week for Spring Break. Yes, he went north for Spring Break, just to see Cage The Elephant at Bogarts.

cinredsfan2000
03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
The Overkill album may be the best of their career. It smokes.
better than TAKING OVER ??:confused::eek::eek:

gilpdawg
03-23-2010, 08:48 AM
better than TAKING OVER ??:confused::eek::eek:

It's REALLY good. Overkill's been a band that for me, has never made a bad album, but have never made a great one either. They've just consistently made good average albums. This one is WAY above average. For me, they've always been the AC/DC of thrash, because you know what you're gonna get.

Glad to see we've got some other metalheads here besides me.

GIDP
03-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Saw Puscifer in concert tonight in columbus. 1st half of the show was so bad I questioned if I would ever give Maynard james Keenan another dime of mine. 2nd half of the show made me want to see the show all over again.

pedro
03-29-2010, 01:44 AM
I went and saw Metric the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'd also like to concur with those who said they liked the new Avett Brothers album. I like that a lot.

Another new album I'm digging is "Big Echo" by The Morning Benders

RichRed
03-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I stumbled across this video over the weekend and it blew me away. Mumford and Sons is a band out of London. I think I'm going to see them play at the 9:30 Club in DC on May 20.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E

Razor Shines
04-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach Love it.

Redsfan320
04-03-2010, 10:09 AM
The Christian band "Dutton". Check out some of their music:

http://www.duttonband.com/music.html

pedro
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm going to the Coachella music festival next weekend.

www.coachella.com

Lineup

Aeroplane
Alana Grace
As Tall As Lions
Baroness
Benny Benassi
Calle 13
Ceu
deadmau5
Deer Tick
DJ Lance Rock
Echo & the Bunnymen
Erol Alkan
Fever Ray
Gil Scott-Heron
Grizzly Bear
Hockey
Iglu & Hartly
Imogen Heap
Jay-Z
Jets Overhead
Kate Miller-Heidke
La Roux
LCD Soundsystem
Little Dragon
Lucero
Pablo Hassan
Passion Pit
Perry Farrell vs. Steve Porter
P.O.S.
Proxy
Public Image Limited
Ra Ra Riot
She & Him
Sleigh Bells
Street Sweeper Social Club
The Avett Brothers
The Cribs
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Specials
The Whitest Boy Alive
Them Crooked Vultures
Vampire Weekend
Wale
Wolfgang Gartner
Yeasayer
2 many DJ's
Aterciopelados
Bad Lieutenant
Band of Skulls
Bassnectar
Beach House
Camera Obscura
Coheed and Cambria
Corinne Bailey Rae
Craze
David Guetta
DEVO
Dirty Projectors
Dirty South
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Faith No More
Flying Lotus
Frank Turner
Frightened Rabbit
GIRLS
Gossip
Hot Chip
John Waters
Kaskade
Klever
Les Claypool
Major Lazer
Mew
MGMT
Muse
Old Crow Medicine Show
Porcupine Tree
Portugal. The Man
Pretty Lights
RX Bandits
Shooter Jennings & Hierophant
Sia
Steel Train
The Almighty Defenders
The Dead Weather
The Raveonettes
The Temper Trap
The xx
Tiesto
Tokyo Police Club
White Rabbits
Z-Trip
Zoe
B.o.B.
Babasonicos
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Club 75
De La Soul
Deerhunter
Delphic
Florence & The Machine
Gary Numan
Gorillaz
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Infected Mushroom
Jonsi
Julian Casablancas
Kevin Devine
King Khan & the Shrines
Little Boots
Local Natives
Matt & Kim
Mayer Hawthorne & the County
Miike Snow
MUTEMATH
One eskimO
Orbital
Owen Pallett
PAPARAZZI
Pavement
Phoenix
Richie Hawtin presents Plastikman Live
Rusko
Sly Stone
Spoon
Sunny Day Real Estate
Talvin Singh
The Big Pink
The Glitch Mob
The Middle East
The Soft Pack
Thom Yorke
Yann Tiersen
Yo La Tengo

RichRed
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Wow, what a lineup!

I just saw Vampire Weekend in Asheville on April 6. Great show.

pedro
04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Wow, what a lineup!

I just saw Vampire Weekend in Asheville on April 6. Great show.

Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing them.

They haven't announced the set times/stages yet so I don't know how it'll all work out logistically.

kaldaniels
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Jonsi - Go

BillDoran
04-13-2010, 01:47 AM
I've heard that Pavement band is alright.

Razor Shines
04-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Geez, how on earth are you going to decide who to see?

Just off the top of my head:

Muse puts on a great live show, I'd have to see them.
Gorrilaz, never seen them but always wanted to, so they'd be a must.
Jay-Z would be near the top of the list.
MGMT have been playing heavy in my music rotation lately.
Phoenix is really good live from what I've heard.
Spoon is really good.

Those are just the more popular bands, I'm sure there are many others that are must sees that I don't even know about.

pedro
04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
There is a lot of overlap of bands I want to see. Spoon/Pavement/Phoenix/Yo la tengo all have some overlap on Sunday which sucks but I've seen them all before so oh well. I guess I shouldn't get too bent about stuff I've already seen, there are a ton of bands that I never have.

I am really excited to see Pavement as they haven't played since 1999.

I've heard White Rabbits and Girls are both really good .

pedro
04-13-2010, 02:40 AM
I've heard that Pavement band is alright.

Best band of the 90's

Cedric
04-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Exile on Main Street.

Greatest band of all time I humbly state.

Cedric
04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
There is a lot of overlap of bands I want to see. Spoon/Pavement/Phoenix/Yo la tengo all have some overlap on Sunday which sucks but I've seen them all before so oh well. I guess I shouldn't get too bent about stuff I've already seen, there are a ton of bands that I never have.

I am really excited to see Pavement as they haven't played since 1999.

I've heard White Rabbits and Girls are both really good .

Love Spoon, saw them at Southgate before Gimme Fiction. Not exactly a great live band nor exciting. Saw them later and it hadn't changed.

RichRed
04-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Love Spoon, saw them at Southgate before Gimme Fiction. Not exactly a great live band nor exciting. Saw them later and it hadn't changed.

Yeah, I saw Spoon a couple years ago and was pretty disappointed.

TC81190
04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I saw them at Bogarts with The Walkmen and White Rabbits, and I would have to disagree. I found all 3 bands to be thoroughly exciting.

RichRed
04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
"California On My Mind" by Wild Light has been stuck in my head for days. The lyrics are hardly Dylanesque - and definitely NSFW - but boy is it catchy.

MilotheMayor
04-15-2010, 02:44 PM
New albums by The National, LCD Soundsystem, and Broken Social Scene. Glorious.

pedro
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I've seen Spoon 6 or 7 times. (Britt Daniel lives in Portland)

Most of the time they've been really good.

Like most bands of that ilk they're better inside than out and the smaller the room the better.

Johnny Footstool
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm really liking Blind Pilot and A.A. Bondy at the moment. Quiet blues/folk played on acoustic guitars.

BillDoran
04-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I once nearly ran Brit Daniel over on my bike downtown.

I've been listening to The Apples in Stereo - The Discovery of the World Inside the Moone.

One of the best from the E6 catalog, great poppy spring album. Any other E6ers out there?

Cedric
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
I once nearly ran Brit Daniel over on my bike downtown.

I've been listening to The Apples in Stereo - The Discovery of the World Inside the Moone.

One of the best from the E6 catalog, great poppy spring album. Any other E6ers out there?

This might seem trendy... Mangum is god!

GIDP
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=104317949

Hanson has a new single and its really not that bad all things considering.

GIDP
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm really liking Blind Pilot and A.A. Bondy at the moment. Quiet blues/folk played on acoustic guitars.

AA Bondy is good stuff.

GIDP
04-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Ive been listening the Gorillaz some recently as a change of pace of what I normally listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8566UtalG_o&feature=related

Is a good song.

Caveat Emperor
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Ive been listening the Gorillaz some recently as a change of pace of what I normally listen to.

I just bought their new album -- the first single "Stylo" starts off like it's going to be fantastic, then some guy just starts screaming over the track in the middle. It almost made me angry that they were ruining a really cool beat and a really good song otherwise.

Rest of the album is pretty darn good. I'm a big "Gorillaz" fan, though.

forfreelin04
04-16-2010, 02:58 PM
I just bought their new album -- the first single "Stylo" starts off like it's going to be fantastic, then some guy just starts screaming over the track in the middle. It almost made me angry that they were ruining a really cool beat and a really good song otherwise.

Funny, cause that's my favorite part of the song. Haven't heard the rest of the album. Do you reccomend it?

Caveat Emperor
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Funny, cause that's my favorite part of the song. Haven't heard the rest of the album. Do you reccomend it?

I do. Very enjoyable listen all the way through if you like their "style" of music.

Fun fact -- Bruce Willis is in the "Stylo" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vAOzYz-Qs

TheBigLebowski
04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Dispatch, David Gray, Ben Harper and Vampire Weekend have been my staples over the past couple of weeks.

MilotheMayor
04-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, that "some guy" is Bobby Womack.

cincinnati chili
04-17-2010, 03:11 AM
L.E.O. An ELO tribute group/indie supergroup featuring Boston musician Bleu, the guy from Jellyfish, and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWgEbxe7OQ0&feature=related

Razor Shines
04-17-2010, 05:12 AM

I completely agree. Nearly ruins the song for me as well. I also really like the rest of the album, Superfast Jellyfish is currently my favorite track.

Ravenlord
04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
been listening to a lovely compilation entitled Pagan Metal.

1. "Song On High" by Bathory
2. "Isa" by Enslaved
3. "The Longships Are Coming" by Unleashed
4. "Victorious March" by Amon Amarth
5. "Winter Madness" by Wintersun
6. "Nedgång" by Finntroll
7. "Blut im Auge" by Equilibrium
8. "Kylän Päässä" by Moonsorrow
9. "Empire Falls" by Primordial
10. "Inis Mona" by Eluveitie
11. "Tapporauta" by Korpiklaani
12. "Deathbringer From the Sky" by Ensiferium
13. "Laeknishendr" by Falkenbach
14. "Host" by Thyrfing
15. "Battle Metal" by Turisas
16. "Shackled to the Trilithon of Kutulu" by Bal-Sagoth

marcshoe
04-17-2010, 10:23 PM
L.E.O. An ELO tribute group/indie supergroup featuring Boston musician Bleu, the guy from Jellyfish, and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWgEbxe7OQ0&feature=related

That one has me headed to I-tunes.:cool:

yab1112
04-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Superfast Jellyfish is currently my favorite track.

I was just about to post that. It's quirky but I love it. There are a few songs on that album that are quickly climbing my 'most played' list. :thumbup:

vaticanplum
04-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic

I love this album and go through long stretches of forgetting about it. Why oh why? It makes a day so funky.

Ravenlord
04-19-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLwOYzh9qSk

:)

MilotheMayor
04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
The National's High Violet

Shouldn't a few members on here be interested?

pedro
04-19-2010, 08:21 PM

I saw them last night. They were pretty good.

pedro
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Just got back from Coachella.

Lots' of good music but extremely poorly run.

I saw..

LCD Soundsystem
Vampire Weekend
Jay Z
Camera Obscura
Beach House
Edward Sharpe
The xx
Muse
De la Soul
Matt & Kim
Sunny Day Real Estate
Spoon
Phoenix
Pavement
Gorillas

Redhook
04-19-2010, 09:01 PM

I saw..

LCD Soundsystem
Vampire Weekend
Jay Z
Camera Obscura
Beach House
Edward Sharpe
The xx
Muse
De la Soul
Matt & Kim
Sunny Day Real Estate
Spoon
Phoenix
Pavement
Gorillas

I'd love to hear what your favorites were? Least favorites? I'm really digging Muse right now. Are they good live? I liked Spoon until I saw them live...very weak. I'd love to see the Gorillaz as well.

GIDP
04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
The best song on the Gorillaz CD is the one with Lou Reed.

pedro
04-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd love to hear what your favorites were? Least favorites? I'm really digging Muse right now. Are they good live? I liked Spoon until I saw them live...very weak. I'd love to see the Gorillaz as well.

My favorites were Pavement, Spoon, Phoenix and Matt & Kim. I've seen Spoon 6 or 7 times, a couple of times which were very flat. They were better yesterday than any time I've ever seen them. Pavement was just a sloppy blissful trip back to the 90's and I loved it. Phoenix is a very good live band and Matt & Kim could power a large city on their enthusiasm.

As for Muse, I'm not terribly familiar with them and not a huge fan but I walked away really really impressed. Their singer/guitar play is very talented. He was tearing it up on his guitar. If you're a fan I think you'd probably be really pleased.

I'd have to say that Muse and Gorillas were my least favorites bit they both did really put on a good show.

Jay Z put on an amazing show, with Beyonce coming out to sing the last song.

I only saw a few De La Soul songs because of conflicts but they had a full band with a horn section and I wish I'd been able to see more of them.

I also saw about a third of B.o.B. and thought they were really good too.

All in all, nobody I saw fell flat on their face, or even close, although the 2 or 3 songs I saw by Les Claypool seemed a little weak.

pedro
04-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I forgot to mention that LCD Soundsystem was incredible and I'm psyched that I'm going to see them again next month.

ABEsolutely
04-20-2010, 07:45 AM
The new disc from The Classic Crime has been on constant repeat-o since release for me. I can't get enough of them. They're building quite the awesome little library.

TheBigLebowski
04-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Based on all the chatter about them on this thread, I checked out Gorillaz on youtube. Believe it or not, I consider myself to be somewhat of a music aficionado and I knew little to nothing about them. I was sold after "stylo." Loved it. Clint Eastwood is my second fave so far.

As far as concerts go, I have tickets to see David Gray in a week and I am going to see Ben Harper and the Relentless 7 next month. Can't wait.

Thanks, all, for turning me on to the Gorillaz.

SeeinRed
04-20-2010, 08:44 AM
The new disc from The Classic Crime has been on constant repeat-o since release for me. I can't get enough of them. They're building quite the awesome little library.

Great CD.

The CD that I have really been looking forward to is released today. Blue Sky Noise by Circa Survive. I pre-ordered it and am getting the CD, Vinyl, and a Shirt today. I'm pretty stoked for that. When you pre-ordered you received a digital copy that was released last week and I have played the heck out of it. It is absolutely amazing.

The other CD I can't wait to get is Punk Goes Classic Rock. I know, its cheesy, but I absolutely love The Almost's cover of Free Fallin.' If you haven't heard it, you should go listen to it on Purevolume or Myspace. I may end up buying that CD for just one song, its that good.

In other music, Underoath will have no remaining original members. Aaron Gillespie has left the band. I've loved Underoath since I first heard Act of Depression and there has been a lot of change in the band over the years. Should be interesting to see where they go if anywhere from here. Starting to sound like they cycle of Zao, another metal band I love.

Razor Shines
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM

I saw..

LCD Soundsystem
Vampire Weekend
Jay Z
Camera Obscura
Beach House
Edward Sharpe
The xx
Muse
De la Soul
Matt & Kim
Sunny Day Real Estate
Spoon
Phoenix
Pavement
Gorillas

Well I'm pretty envious, that looks like a fun weekend. Who did you have to choose to bump MGMT from the list?

As for Muse, I'm not terribly familiar with them and not a huge fan but I walked away really really impressed. Their singer/guitar play is very talented. He was tearing it up on his guitar. If you're a fan I think you'd probably be really pleased.

I agree on Muse. Before I saw them live I hadn't really heard much of their music, but IMO they put on an incredible live show and that sold me.

Cedric
04-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Well I'm pretty envious, that looks like a fun weekend. Who did you have to choose to bump MGMT from the list?

I agree on Muse. Before I saw them live I hadn't really heard much of their music, but IMO they put on an incredible live show and that sold me.

I saw Muse open up for the Foo Fighters and R.H.C.P.

They were the best live act and that was years ago.

forfreelin04
04-20-2010, 11:00 AM
The National's High Violet

Shouldn't a few members on here be interested?

Count me in! :beerme: Though I do not think its out yet.

I'm enjoying their new track "Bloodbuzz Ohio"

A few other pretty new tracks for indie fans: (Mumford and Sons are great but they've been mentioned)

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros-"40 Day Dream"
The Hours- "Ali in the Jungle"
Massive Attack: "Paradise Circus"
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- "Beat the Devil's Tattoo"
Broken Bells- "October" and "High Road"
Cold War Kids "Audience" and "Santa Ana Winds"

pedro
04-20-2010, 12:48 PM

I probably could have seen at least some of their set but we needed to take a break to have dinner and beers before Muse and my friends had all seen MGMT before and they are playing here two nights in Portland next month so I can see them then. Plus MGMT set overlapped with Muse a bit and if you didn't stick with your friends there would be no way to find them until after the show.

TRF
04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
don't laugh.

The Ballad of Barry Allen by Jim's Big Ego

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odU1bHaYNDQ

Razor Shines
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Au_8GMUxVs&feature=player_embedded

Pedro?

pedro
04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Au_8GMUxVs&feature=player_embedded

Pedro?

Most definitely not.

I don't wear flip flops. :)

GIDP
04-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Most definitely not.

I don't wear flip flops. :)

That guy doesnt really either.

marcshoe
04-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I really like "Confessions of a Teenage Anarchist" by Aganist Me!

marcshoe
04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
I downloaded the Broken Bells lp last night and really like it. I've liked the Shins for some time, and Mercer collaborating with Danger Mouse has produced something that sounds...different. I'm an old guy who doesn't really stay on the cutting edge of things, but there's a distinct sound to this that just stays with me, even when the lyrics don't.

dougdirt
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Lots and lots of Rise Against lately.

reds1869
05-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Mumford & Sons are pretty much wearing out my car's CD player.

pedro
05-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I downloaded the Broken Bells lp last night and really like it. I've liked the Shins for some time, and Mercer collaborating with Danger Mouse has produced something that sounds...different. I'm an old guy who doesn't really stay on the cutting edge of things, but there's a distinct sound to this that just stays with me, even when the lyrics don't.

I like it too, not as much as the Shins, but I do like it. Going to see them later this month.

pedro
05-01-2010, 12:42 PM
The new LCD Soundsystem

NPR is streaming it here.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125909422

05-05-2010, 08:18 AM
I love Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ra0DsbiNs0

Cedric
05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Deftones- Diamond Eyes

Amazing, IMO. Chino finally seems to have grown up.

Jack Burton
05-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Lots of SLAYER