PDA

View Full Version : What am I listening to?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

CrackerJack
05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Not really digging the new National album yet, two listens, maybe it'll grow on me some, I like a few of the tracks, but otherwise lacks any variety or memorable stand-outs that Alligator and Boxer had. Very minimalistic as far as arrangements go, it's like listening to monotone spoken word, yawn inducing most of the time.

The lack of buzz about it probably says that I'm not the only one feeling that way. I like them enough to give it a few chances, but inital impression is disappointment I guess.

MilotheMayor
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/national/highviolet

Universal acclaim = Lack of buzz?

TC81190
05-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Not really digging the new National album yet, two listens, maybe it'll grow on me some, I like a few of the tracks, but otherwise lacks any variety or memorable stand-outs that Alligator and Boxer had. Very minimalistic as far as arrangements go, it's like listening to monotone spoken word, yawn inducing most of the time.

The lack of buzz about it probably says that I'm not the only one feeling that way. I like them enough to give it a few chances, but inital impression is disappointment I guess.
I'm listening through it for the first time right now, and so far I can see where the spoken word aspect you're talking about comes from. But as far as arrangements, it seems like there are a few bigger and grander arrangements on this one as far as The National goes. Bloodbuzz Ohio has a lot going on in it, it sounds like it was produced to be the biggest sounding National song yet.

BillDoran
05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
White Denim - Fits. It's what garage rock should sound like, with a touch of psychedelia for good measure.

CrackerJack
05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/national/highviolet

Universal acclaim = Lack of buzz?

Good metascores from blog critics and mags aren't really what I was referring to, was aware of those, but just the lack of general local talk here in Cincy or amongst friends in Brooklyn, or user review sites etc..,

I do like several songs quite a bit, but it is over-all a very sad, depressing album. Not really something I'll listen to nearly as often as a result, and "album of the year" seems a bit premature.

Any ways, has it's moments, maybe just not as complete or interesting as their first two. I would be more accepting if it had some more guitar work and energy at times. I just hope they don't give into pretentiousness and become boring and lame down the road, from here on out. They are very talented.

CrackerJack
05-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm listening through it for the first time right now, and so far I can see where the spoken word aspect you're talking about comes from. But as far as arrangements, it seems like there are a few bigger and grander arrangements on this one as far as The National goes. Bloodbuzz Ohio has a lot going on in it, it sounds like it was produced to be the biggest sounding National song yet.

I always liked the brothers' guitar playing and it's missing on this one for the most part. Bloodbuzz is a good song, but not even as strong as Slow Show or Apartment Story or Guest Room in my opinion, but that's all subjective.

Then again I really dig "Anyone's Ghost" "Little Faith" "Lemonworld" "Conversation 16" and "Terrible Love." Outside of that, just have to shrug so far.

MilotheMayor
05-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Don't want to be that guy, but High Violet is The National's fifth album.

CrackerJack
05-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Don't want to be that guy, but High Violet is The National's fifth album.

I should've said "last" 2 albums not "first" 2, no problem.

TC81190
05-14-2010, 01:46 AM
I always liked the brothers' guitar playing and it's missing on this one for the most part. Bloodbuzz is a good song, but not even as strong as Slow Show or Apartment Story or Guest Room in my opinion, but that's all subjective.

Then again I really dig "Anyone's Ghost" "Little Faith" "Lemonworld" "Conversation 16" and "Terrible Love." Outside of that, just have to shrug so far.
I would agree with you there. After one listen through, it was definitely enjoyable, but didn't really have any attention grabbing moments. As of now, I still prefer Boxer and Alligator. But both of those albums were growers for me, and The National seems to the best at their most somber moments, so maybe this one will grow on me too after a couple more listens.

nate
05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Heard Kurt Elling on Mariane McPartland's "Piano Jazz" last night so I had to check out some other stuff. I found this (http://popup.lala.com/popup/432627060750580306) cut of him singing one my favorite Billy Strayhorn tunes, "Lush Life" live. Wow.

Cedric
05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
One more day until the new Black Keys album. Nice birthday present.

Caveat Emperor
05-20-2010, 11:37 PM
B.O.B - "The Adventures of Bobby Ray"

If you're a hip-hop fan, this falls somewhere in the category of "not quite as good as Lupe Fiasco or Kanye West" and "Better than Drake & Kid Cudi" -- I know that's a big range, but he's somewhere stuck directly in the middle.

However, having said that, "Airplanes pt. II" is the best hip-hop track I've heard in a while. It's got guest spots from Hayley Williams (lead singer from rock-group Paramore) and Eminem. Trouble is (at least as far as Bobby Ray is concerned), Emimem absolutely steals the show on this track. Best I've heard Eminem sound since the 90s. If this is in any way reflective of what his new album is going to sound like, I'm totally stoked.

I know it's tough to put out a single where you're the second banana on the track, but Airplanes is a vastly superior song to that "Nothin' on You" mess that is clogging the airwaves right now.

pedro
05-21-2010, 01:15 PM
B.O.B - "The Adventures of Bobby Ray"

If you're a hip-hop fan, this falls somewhere in the category of "not quite as good as Lupe Fiasco or Kanye West" and "Better than Drake & Kid Cudi" -- I know that's a big range, but he's somewhere stuck directly in the middle.

However, having said that, "Airplanes pt. II" is the best hip-hop track I've heard in a while. It's got guest spots from Hayley Williams (lead singer from rock-group Paramore) and Eminem. Trouble is (at least as far as Bobby Ray is concerned), Emimem absolutely steals the show on this track. Best I've heard Eminem sound since the 90s. If this is in any way reflective of what his new album is going to sound like, I'm totally stoked.

I know it's tough to put out a single where you're the second banana on the track, but Airplanes is a vastly superior song to that "Nothin' on You" mess that is clogging the airwaves right now.

I saw them at Coachella and thought they were great.

marcshoe
05-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Playing around with a few things.

Still enamored with the latest Avett Brothers album, I've decided to revisit the parts of their career I missed, beginning with the latest and working backward. I downloaded "Emotionalism" and have had a chance to listen to some, but not all of it. I very much like what i hear. "The Ballad of Love and Hate" was particularly touching. I love their songwriting and phrasing.

I've also been dipping a bit into some basic country. I downloaded David Ball's new one, and think that if this kind of stuff was what Nashville was all about, the world would be a more interesting and authentic place.

I like downloading free itunes music, then purchasing things I particularly like. The Soft Pack sounds good, if a bit cynical. Today I listened to "Broken" by Cherryholmes. Maybe I should have known who they were, but I didn't. This song really brings out the Celtic roots of bluegrass. Very nice.

pedro
05-27-2010, 06:33 PM
The Black Keys - Brothers

Like it a lot.

SunDeck
05-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Exile on Main Street.

marcshoe
06-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Feeling pretty stressed today, so I got in the car and drove for a while I plugged in the ipod and listened to the Avett Brothers last two albums, and it did me a world of good. I keep coming back to this band whenever I need some serious therapy.

Cedric
06-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Pinback- Penelope... pure bass brilliance.. melody.

pedro
06-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Pinback- Penelope... pure bass brilliance.. melody.

Got to love a song about a fish with dropsy.

Going to see them (for 3rd time) in a couple of weeks.

marcshoe
06-26-2010, 03:18 AM
With/Without by Quiet Science

reds1869
06-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I've been listening to Somerset's Finest: The Wurzels. A bit of a guilty pleasure, the good old scrumpy western. It takes me back to great times in the West Country of England.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-27-2010, 07:26 AM
El Scorcho - Weezer.

It's definitely my favorite song right now.

vaticanplum
07-23-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm listening pretty much non-stop to Best Coast's debut album, which is streaming in its entirety here. (http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/features/best_coast) It's SO GOOD.

muddie
07-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Beggers by Thrice

aubashbrother
07-24-2010, 03:23 AM
trying to decide on a first dance song for my wedding .

ladys choice - ill be by edwin mccain

my choices - unchained melody by righteous brothers
i can't help falling in love with you by elvis

Johnny Footstool
07-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Blind Pilot, A.A. Bondy, The Gaslight Anthem, Guided by Voices, and Superchunk.

Falls City Beer
07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
trying to decide on a first dance song for my wedding .

ladys choice - ill be by edwin mccain

my choices - unchained melody by righteous brothers
i can't help falling in love with you by elvis

elvis

That's just a perfect song.

savafan
07-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Been listening to quite a bit of Kasey Chambers lately, the album "Barricades and Brickwalls" in particular. She's an Australian country artist. Not really a big country fan, but there's just something about her voice and the guitars... It's actually a lot more like folk music, in my opinion, than country.

pedro
07-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm listening pretty much non-stop to Best Coast's debut album, which is streaming in its entirety here. (http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/features/best_coast) It's SO GOOD.

Good tip.

I liked that.

I'm currently listening to the song Southern Mark Smith by The Jazzbutcher Conspiracy on my newly repair record player.

OldRightHander
07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
http://images.gohastings.com/coverart/LRG/popmusic/covers/m41791es5ya.jpg

Caveat Emperor
07-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Broken Bells - Self Titled

Collaboration between James Mercer (of "The Shins" fame) and Danger Mouse. Everything you liked about Gnarls Barkley and/or the Gorillaz without a lot of the out-there stuff that missed.

pedro
07-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Broken Bells - Self Titled

Collaboration between James Mercer (of "The Shins" fame) and Danger Mouse. Everything you liked about Gnarls Barkley and/or the Gorillaz without a lot of the out-there stuff that missed.

They're very good live. If you ever get a chance check them out.

TheBigLebowski
07-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Just discovered Band of Horses. Awesome band.

marcshoe
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
They're very good live. If you ever get a chance check them out.

Somebody tell them to come out this way. Josh Ritter's in town on Mountain Stage Sunday, and I'll be out of state. That's the way it usually works out.

TheBigLebowski
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Somebody tell them to come out this way. Josh Ritter's in town on Mountain Stage Sunday, and I'll be out of state. That's the way it usually works out.

That sucks. I am dying to see Josh Ritter live.

Here's an awesome live rendition of "Kathleen:"

YouTube - Ovation TV | Josh Ritter: Live From The Artists Den (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6_Mf-H3rIM&feature=fvsr)

Trace's Daddy
07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Gotta represent the Commonwealth of VA:

Tim Barry

Here's Tim playing "Prosser's Gabriel" in a bar restroom of all places hahaa

YouTube - Tim Barry - "Prosser's Gabriel" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iHrSWd7pw)

marcshoe
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Just got some good news from a friend on facebook--Avett Brothers will be in the area October 23.

MilotheMayor
07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
So I'm making an eight hour trip to Atlanta to see Arcade Fire and Spoon double headline. Kind of excited to put it bluntly.

pedro
07-29-2010, 12:47 AM
So I'm making an eight hour trip to Atlanta to see Arcade Fire and Spoon double headline. Kind of excited to put it bluntly.

That sounds great. Never seen AF, but Spoon is quite good live.

BillDoran
07-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Thee Oh Sees - Warm Slime
They continue to put out fantastic garage rock with a touch of psychedelia at an almost Pollardian pace.

My birthday falls on September 14. On September 13 I see Pavement (an all-time favorite) and No Age play. On September 15 I see Thee Oh Sees. Happy Happy Birthday to Me!

I'm also curious to hear opinions on anyone who's seen Pavement tour this summer. I saw them at Pitchfork and I'd say my feelings were lukewarm at best.

pedro
07-29-2010, 01:07 PM
They continue to put out fantastic garage rock with a touch of psychedelia at an almost Pollardian pace.

My birthday falls on September 14. On September 13 I see Pavement (an all-time favorite) and No Age play. On September 15 I see Thee Oh Sees. Happy Happy Birthday to Me!

I'm also curious to hear opinions on anyone who's seen Pavement tour this summer. I saw them at Pitchfork and I'd say my feelings were lukewarm at best.

I saw Pavement at Coachella and at the Greek in Berkeley. I thought they were really good. I have heard that their show at Sasquatch was a huge disaster though. WOY and I will be seeing them out at McMenemins Edgefield in September and I'm really looking forward to that.

BillDoran
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I saw Pavement at Coachella and at the Greek in Berkeley. I thought they were really good. I have heard that their show at Sasquatch was a huge disaster though. WOY and I will be seeing them out at McMenemins Edgefield in September and I'm really looking forward to that.

At Pitchfork they seemed unenthused and just kind of punching the clock. I realize they've been touring for months now and are no longer spring chickens, I guess I just expected the energy to match the music (though Bob N. was certainly all-in). I never had the chance to see the first iteration of Pavement, where they always as lackadaisical on stage?

I suppose I've been anticipating the show since the early aughts, perhaps expectations grew unreasonable.

westofyou
07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
At Pitchfork they seemed unenthused and to just kind of punching the clock. I realize they've been touring for months now and are no longer spring chickens, I guess I just expected the energy to match the music (though Bob N. was certainly all-in). I never had the chance to see the first iteration of Pavement, where they always as lackadaisical on stage?

I suppose I've been anticipating the show since the early aughts, perhaps expectations grew unreasonable.

They are pretty slack on stage (save Bob) I've seen Steve preen and annoy Scott and Mark to great lengths, but they are more anti rockers than rockers when it comes to being on the stage.

Not at all like when Gary Young would get to drunk.

pedro
07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
At Pitchfork they seemed unenthused and just kind of punching the clock. I realize they've been touring for months now and are no longer spring chickens, I guess I just expected the energy to match the music (though Bob N. was certainly all-in). I never had the chance to see the first iteration of Pavement, where they always as lackadaisical on stage?

They've never been considered all that great a live band. I saw them 8-10 times back in the 90's. Sometimes they were amazing, sometimes not so much...

They certainly were never that animated on stage, I guess that's why Bob N was in the band..

BillDoran
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
They are pretty slack on stage (save Bob) I've seen Steve preen and annoy Scott and Mark to great lengths, but they are more anti rockers than rockers when it comes to being on the stage.

Not at all like when Gary Young would get to drunk.

I've seen Slow Century and Malkmus solo-ish, not real sure why I expected more. Leaving the stage early and not returning for an encore left a bad taste in my mouth.

It would of been cool of them to invite Gary back for some shows. Perhaps, that's not realistic (who knows what kind of shape he's in), but I imagine he could of used the money.

pedro
07-29-2010, 02:19 PM
I've seen Slow Century and Malkmus solo-ish, not real sure why I expected more. Leaving the stage early and not returning for an encore left a bad taste in my mouth.

It would of been cool of them to invite Gary back for some shows. Perhaps, that's not realistic (who knows what kind of shape he's in), but I imagine he could of used the money.

Gary played with them at the Greek (steve west moved to third guitar)

Here's the setlist

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pavement/2010/greek-theatre-uc-berkeley-berkeley-ca-2bd40c0e.html

BillDoran
07-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Gary played with them at the Greek (steve west moved to third guitar)

Here's the setlist

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pavement/2010/greek-theatre-uc-berkeley-berkeley-ca-2bd40c0e.html

Good to hear, would have been really cool to see.

MilotheMayor
07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Did you see LCD Soundsystem Saturday night? I watched the online stream and they seemed to kick total ass.

pedro
07-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Did you see LCD Soundsystem Saturday night? I watched the online stream and they seemed to kick total ass.

I've seen them twice this year too. They do kick ass.

BillDoran
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM

I wasn't a huge LCD Soundsystem fan going into Saturday night, but I count myself as one now. One of the best festival performances I've ever witnessed. The crowd was chaotic with dozens of congo-like lines of dancing people streaming through the crowd. James Murphy was great. "Losing My Edge" was phenomenal. Great set!

/end fanboy enthusiasm.

Still pushing Thee Oh Sees over here.

westofyou
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Ahh but remember the end of Shoot the Singer

Don't expect
Don't expect
Don't expect
Don't expect

ABEsolutely
07-31-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm not really hip on the indie scene like most of you (not really my thing), but I got some free Blitzen Trapper a while back and I'm pretty hooked on them right now. "Gold For Bread" has been in my head for days. I'm trying to listen through their stuff when I get a chance. Thank you Grooveshark.
Between them, some live Weezer stuff, and The Classic Crime's acoustic EP, I'm very satisfied with my music right now. Nice change of pace from my live Nirvana kick I was on before.

Strikes Out Looking
08-02-2010, 06:12 PM
This summer I have been listening to a lot of the Gaslight Anthem's American Slang and Mumford and Son's debut album.

ABEsolutely
08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Blitzen Trapper

yeah...
so they are officially awesome.

And I have heard a Mumford & Sons song from a sampler a while back that I really liked. Maybe I'll check them out next, SOL.

CrackerJack
08-02-2010, 11:25 PM
New Arcade Fire available as of 11pm EST tonight on iTunes.

I have held-off on hearing any new songs from them at all until tonight, and so far, wow, really like it, exactly what I had hoped they'd grow into, dropping some of the pretensions and growing beyond the blatant issues with phoney religious influences and how we deal with death.

My other fav.modern Canuck band, Broken Social Scene, released a very good one too earlier this summer.

MilotheMayor
08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I saw The National last night at the LC Pavilion in Columbus, and I knew their live sound was a bit more unhinged compared to the studio recordings, but they bordered on primal last night. Incredible.

pedro
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM

"Businessmen drink my blood, like the the kids in art school said they would"

I like it.

RichRed
08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
This summer I have been listening to a lot of the Gaslight Anthem's American Slang and Mumford and Son's debut album.

Two of my current favorites too. Mumford and Sons are fantastic live, by the way.

BillDoran
08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
"Businessmen drink my blood, like the the kids in art school said they would"

I like it.

That's a great line.

Cedric
08-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Bon Iver- skinny love

vaticanplum
08-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Pulled out Blur's 13 today. An oldie at this point, I guess, but such a goodie. One of my favorites of all time.

MilotheMayor
08-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Spoon/Arcade Fire were incredible in Atlanta as I was anticipating. The atmosphere was something akin to attending a fascist rally. Turns out it was a good time to dart out of Ohio so I missed the fallout from the Cards series. haha

Jack Burton
08-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Lots and lots of Slayer.

Current favorite
YouTube - Slayer - Here Comes the Pain [Studio Version] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZP6zv6ifnY&feature=related)

GIK
08-15-2010, 05:29 PM

I have held-off on hearing any new songs from them at all until tonight, and so far, wow, really like it, exactly what I had hoped they'd grow into, dropping some of the pretensions and growing beyond the blatant issues with phoney religious influences and how we deal with death.

My other fav.modern Canuck band, Broken Social Scene, released a very good one too earlier this summer.

Just picked up the new Arcade Fire album. It's great. My favorite track is currently 'Sprawl II'.

OUReds
08-19-2010, 11:23 PM
I love the new Arcade Fire also, but most recently I have been listening to this totally awesome new Justin Bieber 35 minute epic!

Link (http://gawker.com/5614579/how-to-make-justin-bieber-sound-incredible-slow-him-down-800-percent)

MilotheMayor
08-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I love the new Arcade Fire also, but most recently I have been listening to this totally awesome new Justin Bieber 35 minute epic!

Link (http://gawker.com/5614579/how-to-make-justin-bieber-sound-incredible-slow-him-down-800-percent)
Who knew little JBiebz was a New Age prodigy in hiding?

muddie
08-20-2010, 12:56 AM
I spent some time on Coheed and Cambria's 'In Keeping Secrets' in the past several hours. Still good stuff...

marcshoe
08-21-2010, 02:30 AM
I have The Finn Brothers "Everyone is Here" on right now, trying to go to sleep.

Redhook
09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Great concert at Riverbend last night. The Black Keys and the Kings of Leon. Both bands were outstanding. The Black Keys lead singer is amazing. It was so much fun.

GIDP
09-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Listening to Puscifers cover of Elton Johns Rocketman

YouTube - Puscifer - Rocket Mantastic (Studio version complete Rocket Man ) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9F7NTPI7Cw)

also the remix of their song The Humbling River

YouTube - Puscifer - The Humbling River (Nagual del Judith Mix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VClDBx-hQM)

texasdave
09-05-2010, 11:16 PM
I have The Finn Brothers "Everyone is Here" on right now, trying to go to sleep.

Split Enz. Crowded House. Quality songwriters.

Captain13
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm generally a hard rock and heavy metal guy, but today I've been listening to 80's and 90's rap. The Chronic by Dr. Dre is one of the best albums ever. Also, Run DMC and Eminem today.

Johnny Footstool
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
New Superchunk. Great song, fun video.

http://www.superchunk.com

dougdirt
09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.crabsodyinblue.com/dookie.jpg

KittyDuran
09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
http://cdn.sparkart.net/willienelson/content/releases/448_Front.jpg

KittyDuran
09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
My parents want me to find the music of this bg band that they saw on PBS a few nights ago...

http://img.freebase.com/api/trans/image_thumb/wikipedia/images/en_id/25363109?errorid=%2Ffreebase%2Fno_image_png&maxheight=200&mode=fit&maxwidth=150

pedro
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Superchunk - Majesty Shredding

absolutely fabulous

http://www.avclub.com/articles/superchunk-majesty-shredding,45094/

westofyou
09-14-2010, 04:37 PM
My parents want me to find the music of this bg band that they saw on PBS a few nights ago...

http://img.freebase.com/api/trans/image_thumb/wikipedia/images/en_id/25363109?errorid=%2Ffreebase%2Fno_image_png&maxheight=200&mode=fit&maxwidth=150

I saw them live about 22 years ago, good vocals, traditional bluegrass, get em some Hot Rize too

GIDP
09-14-2010, 05:13 PM
B.B. King anthology.

MilotheMayor
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Certainly not listening to what Jonny Gomes listens to.....

marcshoe
09-14-2010, 11:45 PM

They played at the local high school a couple of years ago, but I couldn't make it. I like them a lot.

I've been listening to a lot of Black Keys and The Shins lately. The black keys because I've been feeling a bit bluesy; The Shins because I've been feeling a bit psychotic--and lovin' it! :cool:

Johnny Footstool
09-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Superchunk - Majesty Shredding

absolutely fabulous

http://www.avclub.com/articles/superchunk-majesty-shredding,45094/

Agreed.

Have you heard anything about the $3-4 Amazon sale someone mentioned in the AV Club commentary?

pedro
09-15-2010, 02:08 AM
Agreed.

Have you heard anything about the $3-4 Amazon sale someone mentioned in the AV Club commentary?

No I haven't, I picked up a copy off of rhapsody this afternoon.

Johnny Footstool
09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
"Learned to Surf" makes me insanely, Rocky-beating-Apollo-Creed happy.

cacollinsmba
09-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Streaming the new Black Angels album.

pedro
09-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I like the new Arcade Fire a lot. They were streaming a entire live show from MSG on their youtube a while back and it was really good too.

Johnny Footstool
09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I like the new Arcade Fire a lot. They were streaming a entire live show from MSG on their youtube a while back and it was really good too.

I like the Arcade Fire, but I love the fact that they're signed to Merge Records and making Mac and Laura from Superchunk rich.

MilotheMayor
09-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Just a forewarning, the new Sufjan Stevens album is going to be the most epic release of the year.

GIDP
09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Tenacious D.

BillDoran
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Menomena - Mines. Like their previous album, took a few listens to get into it, but once digested it's nicotine-addictive.

kaldaniels
09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
The song "Little Lion Man" by Mumford & Sons is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time...go check it out, NSFW lyrics. It's glorious.

vaticanplum
09-20-2010, 11:23 PM
"The Return of..." from the album Diamond Hoo Haa by Supergrass popped up on my ipod today. I don't know why my memory always selectively leaves out certain Supergrass albums or the band altogether. They were so solid and consistently good. Every time I hear them my whole day looks up.

Roy Tucker
09-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Jamey Johnson "The Guitar Song". Pretty darn good stuff.

marcshoe
09-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Pavement on the Colbert Report. Man, Malkmus looked uncomfortable in the interview. Give him a real chair, at least.

GBC Red
09-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Jamey Johnson "The Guitar Song". Pretty darn good stuff.

Also listening to "The Guitar Song." Easily best country album of the year.

Johnny Footstool
09-21-2010, 12:31 AM
The song "Little Lion Man" by Mumford & Sons is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time...go check it out, NSFW lyrics. It's glorious.

Their whole album is good. "White Blank Page" is my favorite.

RichRed
09-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I ran across that video a few months ago, before I'd even heard of the band, and it blew me away. Like Johnny Footstool said, the whole album is amazing. I saw them play at the 9:30 Club in DC; what a fantastic show.

TC81190
10-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Nothing new has really grabbed me this year. What am I missing out on?

*BaseClogger*
10-11-2010, 01:09 AM

2010 releases I've been into:

Of the Blue Colour of the Sky by OK Go
Astro Coast by Surfer Blood
Diamond Eyes by Deftones
Stuck on Nothing by Free Energy (thanks, camisa)
a new Primus EP
Personal Life by The Thermals
Majesty Shredding by Superchunk

BillDoran
10-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Thee Oh Sees - Warm Slime & Dog Poison
The Black Angels - Phosphene Dream
Clinic - Bubblegum
Menomena - Mines

RichRed
10-11-2010, 01:43 PM

+1 to Surfer Blood - good stuff.

I've only heard the song "Bang Pop" by Free Energy but I like it.

*BaseClogger*
10-11-2010, 03:10 PM
+1 to Surfer Blood - good stuff.

I've only heard the song "Bang Pop" by Free Energy but I like it.

If you dig the classic rock inspired indie rock, then I would recommend the entire album is for you...

reds1869
10-11-2010, 05:18 PM

As others have said, the whole album is great. One of my favorite bands at the moment.

I'm going to the Muse and Metric show tonight. Should be a blast! It isn't often that I am as excited about an opening act as I am about Metric.

Reds Freak
10-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Great concert at Riverbend last night. The Black Keys and the Kings of Leon. Both bands were outstanding. The Black Keys lead singer is amazing. It was so much fun.

I've been hooked on The Black Keys lately, especially their new album 'Brothers'. Also been listening to Jamey Johnson's 'Guitar Song' album and recently discovered Grace Potter and The Nocturnals. Amazing group...

Redhook
10-17-2010, 08:54 AM
3 songs I'm a likin' right now:

Stone Sour's - Say You'll Haunt Me
Crash Kings' - You Got Me
Avenged Sevenfold's - Nightmare

Razor Shines
10-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I've been really liking Ben Folds and Nick Horny's Lonely Avenue.

marcshoe
10-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Any thoughts on the new Sufjan Stevens (Age of Adz)? I hated it at first, but after hearing the backstory about the crazy artist the songs are about, it's growing on me.

Captain13
10-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Muse! They are everything that is right about rock and roll. Groups like this don't come around often. If you don't believe me, check out "Resistance", "Uprising" and for something completely different (and cool) their cover of "Feeling Good". I don't understand how anyone who likes rock music, couldn't like Muse. Opinions and feed back appreciated.

RichRed
10-19-2010, 01:19 PM
recently discovered Grace Potter and The Nocturnals. Amazing group...

I just saw the Avett Brothers with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals opening for them in Charlottesville, VA. What an unbelievable show; both bands practically set that place on fire. I was blown away, blown I tell you.

pedro
10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Muse! They are everything that is right about rock and roll. Groups like this don't come around often. If you don't believe me, check out "Resistance", "Uprising" and for something completely different (and cool) their cover of "Feeling Good". I don't understand how anyone who likes rock music, couldn't like Muse. Opinions and feed back appreciated.

I'm not a big fan. A little over dramatic for my tastes. I have seen them live though and they are quite a good band. Just not my thing.

*BaseClogger*
10-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Too much reliance on effects and flair. I like down n dirty rock n roll.

( like a handful of songs on each of their first four albums)

Captain13
10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
2010 releases I've been into:

Of the Blue Colour of the Sky by OK Go
Diamond Eyes by Deftones
a new Primus EP
Personal Life by The Thermals
Majesty Shredding by Superchunk

Thanks for the list. This will keep me busy for a while. Does the Primus EP have a title?

*BaseClogger*
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the list. This will keep me busy for a while. Does the Primus EP have a title?

June 2010 Rehearsal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2010_Rehearsal

My tastes are kinda all over the place, but as somebody mentioned earlier the Surfer Blood album is really good and probably my favorite of the year. I'd start there. The Thermals are really good too...

Strikes Out Looking
10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I've been really liking Ben Folds and Nick Horny's Lonely Avenue.

LOL. It's Nick Hornby .. even though he may be what you wrote.

I'm also listening to (and liking) the Hold Steady's album that came out earlier this year.

Reds Freak
10-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I just saw the Avett Brothers with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals opening for them in Charlottesville, VA. What an unbelievable show; both bands practically set that place on fire. I was blown away, blown I tell you.

I'm seeing Grace Potter and the Nocturnals tomorrow night in Columbus. I haven't been this excited about a concert in a long time...

marcshoe
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm seeing Grace Potter and the Nocturnals tomorrow night in Columbus. I haven't been this excited about a concert in a long time...

Anybody see Saturday's Grace Potter/Avett Brothers Huntington concert? I'm a bit upset I couldn't make it. Seems to be the story these days.

jimbo
10-25-2010, 05:14 PM

A friend of mine turned me onto Mumford & Sons here recently. I absolutely love the album. Love their use of several different instruments that most bands won't go near.

Captain Hook
10-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Just started listening to "The Black Keys".I don't know how long they've been around but it seems like they have a pretty good number of songs out there.Can't believe it's taken me so long to find these guys but I highly recommend.

*BaseClogger*
10-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Just started listening to "The Black Keys".I don't know how long they've been around but it seems like they have a pretty good number of songs out there.Can't believe it's taken me so long to find these guys but I highly recommend.

The Black Keys rock! I saw them at The Fillmore in Detroit over the summer and they kicked ass.

They're debut came out in 2002 and they've had six albums plus several EPs/collaborations/solo stuff. They released Brothers earlier this year and I recommend it, although their earlier albums, most especially Rubber Factory, are the best...

Razor Shines
10-26-2010, 03:20 AM
LOL. It's Nick Hornby .. even though he may be what you wrote.

I'm also listening to (and liking) the Hold Steady's album that came out earlier this year.

haha, didn't even notice I forgot the b.

kaldaniels
11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Powerage by AC/DC...it may be their best.

Spare the "all their albums are the same remark." Ha, beat you to it. :cool:

*BaseClogger*
11-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Hmmm... these are the albums I have downloaded in the last couple of weeks:

Icky Mettle - Archers of Loaf
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New
Analphabetapolothology - Cap'n Jazz
Turning On - Cloud Nothings
Clutch - Clutch
I'm Alive and on Fire - Danko Jones
Ghost Mice/Defiance, Ohio Split
Situationist Comedy - Dillinger Four
The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
Post-Nothing - Japandroids
Wonderful Rainbow - Lightning Bolt
Nothing Hurts - Male Bonding
Cell-Scape - Melt Banana
Superfuzz Bigmuff - Mudhoney
Stankonia - Outkast
For Screening Purposes Only - Test Icicles
Just Kidding - Treepeople
The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
Tweak Bird - Tweak Bird
We Care - Whale

It's a pretty random collection of stuff. I guess I've been listening to a lot of music lately haha...

pedro
11-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Hmmm... these are the albums I have downloaded in the last couple of weeks:

Icky Mettle - Archers of Loaf
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New
Analphabetapolothology - Cap'n Jazz
Turning On - Cloud Nothings
Clutch - Clutch
I'm Alive and on Fire - Danko Jones
Ghost Mice/Defiance, Ohio Split
Situationist Comedy - Dillinger Four
The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
Post-Nothing - Japandroids
Wonderful Rainbow - Lightning Bolt
Nothing Hurts - Male Bonding
Cell-Scape - Melt Banana
Superfuzz Bigmuff - Mudhoney
Stankonia - Outkast
For Screening Purposes Only - Test Icicles
Just Kidding - Treepeople
The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
Tweak Bird - Tweak Bird
We Care - Whale

It's a pretty random collection of stuff. I guess I've been listening to a lot of music lately haha...

Ickey Mettle rules. I saw them several times back in the 90's. Awesome, awesome band.

*BaseClogger*
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Ickey Mettle rules. I saw them several times back in the 90's. Awesome, awesome band.

I love Superchunk so I figured I'd give the other 90s Chapel Hill band that they always get compared to a try...

pedro
11-09-2010, 12:43 AM
I love Superchunk so I figured I'd give the other 90s Chapel Hill band that they always get compared to a try...

Superchunk is great. Saw them a couple of weeks ago. Great show. Another good 90's Chapel Hill band is Small 23. The album "true zero hook" is really good.

*BaseClogger*
11-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Superchunk is great. Saw them a couple of weeks ago. Great show. Another good 90's Chapel Hill band is Small 23. The album "true zero hook" is really good.

I wish they'd add more dates. :( They are sticking to the coasts.

I love the pop punk sound of those bands. I'll add Small (23) to my list to checkout! :thumbup:

TheBigLebowski
11-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Midlake
Lucero
Whiskeytown
Josh Ritter

kaldaniels
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I see Florence and the Machine are on SNL tonight...thats it...I have to ask.

Is there some sort of mass music business conspiracy to push them into the mainstream? They were on a MTV awards show recently,SNL tonight,a top-40 station by my that typically plays nothing but your Taylor Swift/Nickelback/dreck, they are on a comtempory rock station that is usually hard to break into by me as well.

It just seems odds to me all the airplay and publicity they are getting as of late. If it is because their music is awesome just tell me and I guess that will answer it.

pedro
11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
WOY and I are going to see Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs tonight.

marcshoe
11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Going back in the catalog a bit and listening to Sufjan's Stevens' Seven Swans.

Also been listening to anything either mellow or layered that I can find on my ipod. The Church, John Mark McMillan, U2, Quiet Science, etc. I'm trying to just float away.

Captain13
11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Powerage by AC/DC...it may be their best.

Spare the "all their albums are the same remark." Ha, beat you to it. :cool:

Best quote ever, when someone (Guitar something-or-other magazine) asked Angus Young about having 10 platinum albums that all sounded the same, he answered "That's bull----, we have ELEVEN platinum albums that all sound the same."

kaldaniels
12-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Katy Perry just got a Grammy nomination for album of the year. My head hurts.

muddie
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Grand Funk Railroad ... Heartbreaker

Superdude
12-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Midlake
Lucero
Whiskeytown
Josh Ritter

Freakin' love 1372 Overton Park

RichRed
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Just saw Big Sam's Funky Nation, Guster and Better Than Ezra last night. Fun show with lots of energy.

pedro
12-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I saw Lucero last Friday night. Damn good show.

TheBigLebowski
12-08-2010, 01:55 PM

That album is a real winner. I find it tough to pull out of the cd player.

TRF
12-08-2010, 03:49 PM
My son has been trying to get me to listen to Tickle Me Pink. Anyone heard of them?

Superdude
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
That album is a real winner. I find it tough to pull out of the cd player.

Seriously. That and American Slang didn't leave my car all summer. Overton Park seems WAY underrated IMO...definitely a step up from their older stuff.

paintmered
12-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I can't stop listening to Bombs Away by Kyle Andrews (yes, it's the Doritos commercial song).

Also, Mumford and Sons just released an EP from a project in India. It's transcendent and yet, it works somehow.

MikeThierry
12-09-2010, 01:35 AM
This might be the longest thread on this forum, lol.

I have been getting into Muse lately. They are different and probably the most inventive band out there today. My guilty pleasure is Michael Buble. Yeah I know, kind of cheesy and girly but damn it, his latest CD is good. I like the Old Standards anyway so its nice to see modern singers honor that era in music.

Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, and Floyd are also staples.

Redhook
12-10-2010, 08:24 AM
"High Road" by the Broken Bells

Captain13
12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
This might be the longest thread on this forum, lol.

I have been getting into Muse lately. They are different and probably the most inventive band out there today. My guilty pleasure is Michael Buble. Yeah I know, kind of cheesy and girly but damn it, his latest CD is good. I like the Old Standards anyway so its nice to see modern singers honor that era in music.

Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, and Floyd are also staples.

There is nothing cheesy and girly about Michael Buble. He is the closest thing we have to Sinatra...great songs, great voice, and who wouldn't want to be him.

kaldaniels
12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
There is nothing cheesy and girly about Michael Buble. He is the closest thing we have to Sinatra...great songs, great voice, and who wouldn't want to be him.

Got drug to a show of his by the wife. Came off impessed. Doesn't take himself seriously at all...great sense of humor.

MikeThierry
12-13-2010, 05:12 PM
His music videos are kind of funny as well.

klw
12-13-2010, 07:38 PM
trying to embed a link to fallon as neil young.

Here we go
YouTube - Whip My Hair ft Neil Young & Bruce Springsteen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpxZwbPcA38)

kaldaniels
01-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I just saw Ford has a song (Go Do) by Jonsi on one of its national ads. Always bittersweet when something like that happens to a somewhat obscure artist...nice to see the artist get some mainstream play, but hate to see the music be pimped out.

Jack Burton
01-05-2011, 09:59 PM
YouTube - Suffocation - Bind Torture Kill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HI8ta-ShU4)

pedro
01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
YouTube - Suffocation - Bind Torture Kill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HI8ta-ShU4)

That song was the first dance at my mom's wedding.

mitchaldavis
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Ah, I've been listening to my CD to drop through the kaleidoscope of pumpkin-Teargarden bare winter Volume 2, Tom Tom, fellowship, deformed the United States, Stars and Stripes and Kardon Symphony. Now, I'me listen to REM Discover, and it happened today, I think it will be a good new album.

Jack Burton
01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
YouTube - Asphyx-Last One On Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r70ZMcGkf0A&feature=related)

kaldaniels
01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Adele's new song "Rolling the Deep" has me looking forward to her upcoming album, 21.

kaldaniels
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Just stumbled across these guys...album out in February. I guess this song was featured on Grey's Anatomy, not like I would know. Very promising.

YouTube - "Poison & Wine" | The Civil Wars | OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO [HD] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfzRlcnq_c0)

pedro
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
The new Social Distortion album which is quite good and streaming here for free until it is released next week.

http://www.voxbloc.com/share/social-distortion-album-stream

RFS62
01-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Porcupine Tree

"The Incident"

Awesome stuff

BillDoran
01-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I just downloaded the first two Nuggets compilations. Pretty excited to dive in.

Also downloaded Marnie Stern's new album and The Dismemberment Plan's Emergency & I.

Jack Burton
01-15-2011, 04:41 PM
My favorite Slayer tune at the moment.
YouTube - slayer-spirit in black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0XEm3SpyZk)

PedroBourbon
01-17-2011, 07:52 AM
The new Social Distortion album which is quite good and streaming here for free until it is released next week.

http://www.voxbloc.com/share/social-distortion-album-stream

New Social D sounds awesome. Several of the songs are "old" in that they have been playing them for years live but never recorded them in studio until now. Going to see them in Vegas this Thursday and Friday.

ABEsolutely
01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Avett Bros - Robbinsville Sessions ($3.89 at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Four-Thieves-Gone-Robbinsville-Sessions/dp/B004BGISF8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295378231&sr=8-2)) --- I love this disc.

Matt Costa (my 2-year-old has to hear "the sunshine song" every time we get in the car)

Capital Lights

pedro
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
New Iron & Wine is good too.

stream here (http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/44383353#luisterpaal.44383353).

Eric_the_Red
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Going to get the new live album from Pearl Jam, Live on Ten Legs, today. Will probably be listening to that for the next month and a half.

This year PJ is kicking off a celebration of their 20th anniversary. Highlights include remastered (remixed?) releases of Vs and Vitalogy, and a music festival event this summer.

marcshoe
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
It's appearance on several year-end lists has me listening to the Gorrilaz Plastic Beach again. I hadn't really listened since late summer, and am enjoying the revisit.

New York Red
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Currently in my car: Mountain Soul, by Patty Loveless

Oxblood
01-20-2011, 04:17 PM
@ Work: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

marcshoe
01-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Even though I haven't been listening to Pink Floyd, the lunatic is indeed in my head. :cool:

RedFanAlways1966
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
My favorite Slayer tune at the moment.

The whole "Seasons in the Abyss" CD rocks. Dead Skin Mask, title song, Expendable Youth, Figure in Black...

Been a long time... but now you got me looking for it to put in the car. :thumbup:

Cedric
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
The new Decemberists album is as good as everyone says it is.

Colin has finally stepped back up to the plate, IMO.

pedro
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
The new Decemberists album is as good as everyone says it is.

Colin has finally stepped back up to the plate, IMO.

here's a link to them playing it live in the public radio studio here in portland.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/20/133026865/the-decemberists-the-king-is-dead-live-from-portland?sc=fb&cc=fmp

Jack Burton
01-21-2011, 07:41 PM
The whole "Seasons in the Abyss" CD rocks. Dead Skin Mask, title song, Expendable Youth, Figure in Black...

Been a long time... but now you got me looking for it to put in the car. :thumbup:

Oh no doubt, great album, definitely right up there as one of their best. My personal favorite is "Hell Awaits", just solid as can be, no filler whatsoever.

Razor Shines
01-22-2011, 02:12 AM
So I was watching a concert on Palladia just now. It was MTV World Stage: Smashing Pumpkins in Mexico City. It's been a long time since I've seen them live so I thought it would be cool. And it was really good....for a while.

Billy is out for the first encore and is about a minute into Disarm when these Mexican wrestlers, akin to their version of WWE, come out and do a whole skit with Billy. Fake fight and all. Very, very cheesy. I wouldn't have thought that a band like the Smashing Pumpkins would need to put something like that into their shows. They finished strong though, the full band came back out and rocked Zero.

Cedric
01-22-2011, 08:57 AM
So I was watching a concert on Palladia just now. It was MTV World Stage: Smashing Pumpkins in Mexico City. It's been a long time since I've seen them live so I thought it would be cool. And it was really good....for a while.

Billy is out for the first encore and is about a minute into Disarm when these Mexican wrestlers, akin to their version of WWE, come out and do a whole skit with Billy. Fake fight and all. Very, very cheesy. I wouldn't have thought that a band like the Smashing Pumpkins would need to put something like that into their shows. They finished strong though, the full band came back out and rocked Zero.

Where have you been at for the past 10 years? Billy is beyond insane and has done far crazier things than this stupid stunt.

I say this with a hint of anger for how bad he ruined his legacy. Sadly if he had died in 1995 he might have been considered one of the greatest rock musicians of all time.

Jack Burton
01-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Exodus - Bonded by Blood. Great album.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-25-2011, 10:19 PM

I got to hear the whole album live in October. It was awesome! Although, I don't think they should've been headlining that night.

MilotheMayor
01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
New Fleet Foxes song, "Helplessness Blues"....effortlessly great vocals. Fantastic song.

YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (Studio Version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mR8Z-gmK1g)

Redhook
01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
New Fleet Foxes song, "Helplessness Blues"....effortlessly great vocals. Fantastic song.

YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (Studio Version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mR8Z-gmK1g)

They're good. They remind me of Simon and Garfunkel. I had never heard of them. Thanks for sharing!

marcshoe
02-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Going retro--well, sort of. Last night I downloaded Springsteen's 'The Promise' and John Legend & The Roots 'Wake Up'.

pedro
02-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Exodus - Bonded by Blood. Great album.

Baloff slept in Westofyou's bed onetime when Westofyou was out of town.

gilpdawg
02-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Baloff slept in Westofyou's bed onetime when Westofyou was out of town.
Bang your head against the stage...

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Captain13
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Awesome album, but right now I'm listening to something a little (lot) less metal: Shinedown. Good straight forward rock-n-roll. I love that stuff.

Redhook
02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I ran across that video a few months ago, before I'd even heard of the band, and it blew me away. Like Johnny Footstool said, the whole album is amazing. I saw them play at the 9:30 Club in DC; what a fantastic show.

Bought the Mumford and Sons cd today. You guys are spot on, they're absolutely fantastic. Crazy good.

Tadasimha
02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Backatown by Trombone Shorty. Crazy mix of jazz, hard rock, funk, it has been jamming in my car for months now. Talented band with a VERY talented band leader.

kaldaniels
02-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Bought the Mumford and Sons cd today. You guys are spot on, they're absolutely fantastic. Crazy good.

Wait a tick...you discovered Fleet Foxes and Mumford and Sons in one week? I'm jealous. Good for you! :thumbup:

frenetic wave
02-07-2011, 11:31 PM
My son has been playing this record, he purchased it today. I quite enjoy it.

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/jessicaleamayfield.html

pedro
02-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Backatown by Trombone Shorty. Crazy mix of jazz, hard rock, funk, it has been jamming in my car for months now. Talented band with a VERY talented band leader.

Saw him at Austin City Limits festival. Thought he was great.

Redhook
02-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Wait a tick...you discovered Fleet Foxes and Mumford and Sons in one week? I'm jealous. Good for you! :thumbup:

I do feel lucky. I've been behind on music with an 11-month old at home. However, I've discovered that Yo Gabba Gabba and Baby Einstein are pretty awesome too.

BillDoran
02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Still enjoying Brothers by the Black Keys. Sinister Kid makes me a bit more comfortable with the end of the White Stripes.

Tadasimha
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I do feel lucky. I've been behind on music with an 11-month old at home. However, I've discovered that Yo Gabba Gabba and Baby Einstein are pretty awesome too.

When he/she is a little older, be sure to intorduce them to Trout Fishing In America - very cool kids music.

reds1869
02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm currently playing the extended edition of High Violet by The National on a continuous loop. Good stuff.

RichRed
02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I just read that the Avett Brothers will be performing alongside Bob Dylan and Mumford and Sons at the Grammys. I might actually have to watch the Grammys for the first time in eons.

reds1869
02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
I just read that the Avett Brothers will be performing alongside Bob Dylan and Mumford and Sons at the Grammys. I might actually have to watch the Grammys for the first time in eons.

Spectacular!

Oxblood
02-10-2011, 01:15 PM
@ Work:
Pink Floyd - Animals

Cuban_Missile
02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Packing listening to Come back song darius rucker

MilotheMayor
02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't know if there are any PJ Harvey fans here, but her newest album 'Let England Shake' is probably already my album of the year.

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/06/133495228/first-listen-pj-harvey-let-england-shake

Cuban_Missile
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Anyone ever given streelight manifesto a listen?

Oxblood
02-11-2011, 02:10 PM
@ Work:
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'

Possibly my favorite BD album, "Boots of Spanish Leather" is such a great song.

reds1869
02-11-2011, 02:12 PM
@ Work:

I could listen to Dylan all day.

Cuban_Missile
02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Working with dad at home-

Listening to Hootie and the Blowfish- Let her go

Forgot how great this entire album is

Razor Shines
02-13-2011, 09:36 PM

That was pretty cool. The rest of the show has been brutal. I think I am done watching now that they performed. I kinda want to see Arcade Fire, but not that much. I might record the rest and FF to their performance.

marcshoe
02-13-2011, 09:46 PM
That was pretty cool. The rest of the show has been brutal. I think I am done watching now that they performed. I kinda want to see Arcade Fire, but not that much. I might record the rest and FF to their performance.

I'm thinking the same thing. I also wanted to see what Cee-Lo (I don't think that's the right way to spell it) Green sings, though. And someone said the muppets are singing with him.

marcshoe
02-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Help! He's turned into Elton John!

paintmered
02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Holy peacock, Batman!

marcshoe
02-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Since I've since seen a George Clinton comp, here's the intended reference

http://img.rp.vhd.me/4550369_l1.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image, but I thought getting Animal in the shot made it worthwhile.

kaldaniels
02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Congrats to Arcade Fire. Best choice by the Grammys in years. So glad to see they had a chance for an encore. For there first big-time perfomance/exposure, "Month of May" left me disappointed. :thumbup:

reds1869
02-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Congrats to Arcade Fire. Best choice by the Grammys in years. So glad to see they had a chance for an encore. For there first big-time perfomance/exposure, "Month of May" left me disappointed. :thumbup:

I thought it was pretty funny that Brothers edged out The Suburbs in their own category but Arcade Fire won Album of the Year. It was a great year for alternative music.

klw
02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I tried to embed a video but it did not work.

Jack Burton
02-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Kreator. People of the Lie

pedro
02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
@ Work:

The Dylan album that I've really grown to love as I've gotten older is Nashville Skyline

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WWIy23PK7tM/Su00MNdKctI/AAAAAAAAD3E/Nl8u5dp6iBE/s400/cover.jpg

Cuban_Missile
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
If any of you guys like reggae I strongly suggest a band called Rebelution. I went and saw them in concert last night they are fantastic!

Oxblood
02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
The Dylan album that I've really grown to love as I've gotten older is Nashville Skyline

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WWIy23PK7tM/Su00MNdKctI/AAAAAAAAD3E/Nl8u5dp6iBE/s400/cover.jpg

Haven't checked that one out yet, I'm guessing it has a country influence? I'll have to give it a listen.

marcshoe
03-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Just downloaded the new album by The Civil Wars and am looking forward to giving it a listen.

kaldaniels
03-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Just downloaded the new album by The Civil Wars and am looking forward to giving it a listen.

It's solid. Strongly reminisent of the Plant/Krauss collaboration a few years back.

*BaseClogger*
03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
New Strokes, duh:

MilotheMayor
03-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Rebecca Black-she has potential.

YouTube - Rebecca Black - Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0)

ABEsolutely
03-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Rebecca Black-she has potential.

YouTube - Rebecca Black - Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0)

hilarious!

ABEsolutely
03-16-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm really enjoying a fairly new band out of Denver called Churchill. You can download their EP, which is really good, for free from Noisetrade (https://www.noisetrade.com/churchill). Their Happy/Sad was just released last month and is even better.

TheBigLebowski
03-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Mumford and his Sons, Avetts, Ryan Adams, Elliot Road, G. Love.

Caveat Emperor
03-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Finally picked up Guster's latest album. They're still fantastic on harmonizing vocals.

vaticanplum
03-22-2011, 11:54 AM
New Strokes, duh:

I'm out of the country and can't download this. It's driving me crazy. What does it sound like?

*BaseClogger*
03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm out of the country and can't download this. It's driving me crazy. What does it sound like?

Well, it is kinda fragmented because Julian shared the song writing for the first time, so it's all over the place. It has a few hints of their abilities ('Gratisfaction' stands out in addition to the first single) but overall it's not a return to the quality of their first two albums... :/

paintmered
03-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Wow. She's erm, the whole package. :eek:

A co-worker recommended Yuk to me earlier today. Checking them out now.

*BaseClogger*
03-24-2011, 08:43 PM
A co-worker recommended Yuk to me earlier today. Checking them out now.

"Yuck", the British indie rock band?

paintmered
03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
"Yuck", the British indie rock band?

Whoops. Yes, that's them.

Typing. How does it work?!?

marcshoe
03-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I always liked their song, 'Mr. Yuck is mean/Mr. Yuck is green.' May not be the same group, though.

*BaseClogger*
03-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Whoops. Yes, that's them.

Typing. How does it work?!?

Coincidentally, just found out about them today and I sit here wondering HOW DID I NOT FIND OUT SOONER!?!? They take all the best influences and perfect that murky 90s lo-fi sound...

jredmo2
03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Well, it is kinda fragmented because Julian shared the song writing for the first time, so it's all over the place. It has a few hints of their abilities ('Gratisfaction' stands out in addition to the first single) but overall it's not a return to the quality of their first two albums... :/

I'm enjoying it a lot more now that the "first album in five years" expectations have worn off. Well, that and the whole "we hate each other" press strategy.

It reminds me of the last album in that the first three tracks are really strong, and then things get... curious. I mean, my lord, "You're So Right" is embarrassing, how did it get released? It's like really, really bad Radiohead, with Julian mumbling something about an office romance? Who knows? We all know you've never been in a damn office, Julian.

"Taken for a Fool" at least has a decent chorus, but it has a hell of a time getting there. It's half a good song. And then "Games" sees Julian return to his alter-ego as Senor Crappy with another round of meandering electro-trash. "Call Me Back" is less actively offensive, but still pretty damn boring. The Strokes really struggle when the tempo slows. Which may be why on their first two (excellent) records, they, you know, never did that.

"Gratisfaction" isn't great and is a little cheesy with it's chorus, but at least it has some focus and seems to have a point -- which compared the four aimless songs preceding it, comes as a relief.

"Metabolism" and "Life is Simple in the Moonlight" are better, but suffer from a lack of great melody. They're moderately catchy, for sure, but they could use some more striking instrumentation, or ANYTHING attention-grabbing. A lot of the problem is the Strokes' slave-to-the-metronome rhythm; even when the band sounds "loose" it's still pretty mechanical. It's fine when they ratchet up the BPMs and let the hooks fly. Hell, we all know it's great when they do that. But there's a HUGE drop-off when they slow it down, because when you take out the frantic energy and rapid-fire hooks, there's nothing very interesting happening.

But, man, those first three songs really are great. That's why I have a hard time dismissing this album out-of-hand. The Strokes are a pretty limited band, but they still do their classic sound much better than their myriad of imitators. Disjointed as the band is, the members all seem equally bored with the "Is This It" formula, which is fair enough, but they still do it really well. In fact, "Under the Cover of Darkness" is so casually great that it's almost as if the band finds it too easy to write songs like that anymore. That's understandable, but also a shame, because they really put their imitators to shame when they do.

If the Strokes were a baseball player, they'd be a power hitter who cannot for the life of him hit a crooked pitch. When they get a fastball in their wheelhouse, they're really impressive; they'll crush it 500 feet. But they can whiff pretty epically on those curveballs.

Wow, OK I guess that was pretty long. Cliffnotes version: the Strokes are the musical Juan Francisco. Or something.

Jack Burton
03-26-2011, 12:53 PM
YouTube - Slayer-Kill Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkA9FoNzxg)

Cedric
03-27-2011, 12:04 AM
http://yeahoyeah.com/creedvideo.aspx?id=3157

Considering it's baseball season and all that.

I even had myself laughing here.

Chip R
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Wilco - A.M.

westofyou
03-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Golden Smog

*BaseClogger*
04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm enjoying it a lot more now that the "first album in five years" expectations have worn off. Well, that and the whole "we hate each other" press strategy.

It reminds me of the last album in that the first three tracks are really strong, and then things get... curious. I mean, my lord, "You're So Right" is embarrassing, how did it get released? It's like really, really bad Radiohead, with Julian mumbling something about an office romance? Who knows? We all know you've never been in a damn office, Julian.

"Taken for a Fool" at least has a decent chorus, but it has a hell of a time getting there. It's half a good song. And then "Games" sees Julian return to his alter-ego as Senor Crappy with another round of meandering electro-trash. "Call Me Back" is less actively offensive, but still pretty damn boring. The Strokes really struggle when the tempo slows. Which may be why on their first two (excellent) records, they, you know, never did that.

"Gratisfaction" isn't great and is a little cheesy with it's chorus, but at least it has some focus and seems to have a point -- which compared the four aimless songs preceding it, comes as a relief.

"Metabolism" and "Life is Simple in the Moonlight" are better, but suffer from a lack of great melody. They're moderately catchy, for sure, but they could use some more striking instrumentation, or ANYTHING attention-grabbing. A lot of the problem is the Strokes' slave-to-the-metronome rhythm; even when the band sounds "loose" it's still pretty mechanical. It's fine when they ratchet up the BPMs and let the hooks fly. Hell, we all know it's great when they do that. But there's a HUGE drop-off when they slow it down, because when you take out the frantic energy and rapid-fire hooks, there's nothing very interesting happening.

But, man, those first three songs really are great. That's why I have a hard time dismissing this album out-of-hand. The Strokes are a pretty limited band, but they still do their classic sound much better than their myriad of imitators. Disjointed as the band is, the members all seem equally bored with the "Is This It" formula, which is fair enough, but they still do it really well. In fact, "Under the Cover of Darkness" is so casually great that it's almost as if the band finds it too easy to write songs like that anymore. That's understandable, but also a shame, because they really put their imitators to shame when they do.

If the Strokes were a baseball player, they'd be a power hitter who cannot for the life of him hit a crooked pitch. When they get a fastball in their wheelhouse, they're really impressive; they'll crush it 500 feet. But they can whiff pretty epically on those curveballs.

Wow, OK I guess that was pretty long. Cliffnotes version: the Strokes are the musical Juan Francisco. Or something.

Wow, sorry I didn't see this post until just now, but what a great one it is! :clap:

I agree on all counts...

TRF
04-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Not as We - Alanis Morissette

Eric_the_Red
04-09-2011, 08:18 AM
YouTube - The City Harmonic - Manifesto (OFFICIAL) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_6JQDsbtlM)

marcshoe
04-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Gaslight Anthem will be on Letterman tomorrow (Friday).

The DARK
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
YouTube - My Morning Jacket - Circuital - Out May 31st 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohE3Dm9H0_g&feature=related)

Awesome new song.

Jack Burton
04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
YouTube - Dion & The Belmonts : I Wonder Why (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBSGaWrEn4&feature=feedlik)

Big Klu
04-16-2011, 11:27 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Jgreatesthits.jpg

Jack Burton
04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
YouTube - Cryptopsy - Phobophile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1FivvPQIUY)

westofyou
04-30-2011, 10:47 PM
J Mascis solo at Dantes tonight

Jack Burton
05-07-2011, 11:34 AM
YouTube - Cannibal Corpse - "Evisceration Plague" Metal Blade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgnEU77kcA8)

Superdude
05-08-2011, 12:48 AM
http://popstache.com/wp-content/uploads/manchester-orchestra-simple-math-single-cover-300x300.jpg

This is quite epic

BillDoran
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Yuck. Bad name, good band.

British kids that have hints of Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., and Sonic Youth in their sound. I've seen them described as indie revivalists, which seems apt. Good laid-back summer music.

*BaseClogger*
05-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Yuck. Bad name, good band.

British kids that have hints of Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., and Sonic Youth in their sound. I've seen them described as indie revivalists, which seems apt. Good laid-back summer music.

Yes! And I happen to like the band's name. I think it fits...

CrimsonCrusader
05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I can't believe I am JUST stumbling on to this thread!

This is my new favorite song:
YouTube - Florence + The Machine - Howl (Live on Letterman) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLoOzTMjC8&feature=fvst)

...for you local Cincinnati guys...it's the music to that Jaguar commercial they show incessantly during the Fox Sports game broadcasts. It just grew on me.

I also like smooth jazz, and "Downtempo"...like this:

YouTube - Breaking and Entering."Room With A View".Michael Gray (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j44OVKyVfNg)

I have also been known to listen to Bat For Lashes and School Food Punishment...

...but don't tell anybody.....:D

marcshoe
05-14-2011, 10:59 PM
My new favorite song is 'Options' by Gomez. I'm going to memorize it and go around singing it constantly.

But it's okay.

At least I've got options.

Strikes Out Looking
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
My new favorite song is 'Options' by Gomez. I'm going to memorize it and go around singing it constantly.

But it's okay.

At least I've got options.

Under-rated band, look forward to the new album.

RichRed
05-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Under-rated band, look forward to the new album.

I like Gomez too, esp. the songs "See the World" and "Airstream Driver." I'll have to check out the new stuff.

Spitball
05-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I've been a SNL fan for about 30 years. I've been listening to Turtleneck & Chains by The Lonely Island.

YouTube - ‪I Just Had Sex (feat. Akon)‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlIhraqL7o)

I guess i can post this.

*BaseClogger*
05-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Recently found the first country band I have felt is worth my time:

YouTube - ‪Lucero - Sweet Little Thing‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-RhFaRFB1g)

dougdirt
05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Lots and lots of Lupe Fiasco.

Homer Bailey
05-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I've been a SNL fan for about 30 years. I've been listening to Turtleneck & Chains by The Lonely Island.

YouTube - ‪I Just Had Sex (feat. Akon)‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlIhraqL7o)

I guess i can post this.

YouTube - ‪Jack Sparrow (feat. Michael Bolton)‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY)

Some NSFW language in there. Mods delete if its too much.