PDA

View Full Version : Burton beaned Teixeira in the butt!

fearofpopvol1
05-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I can only assume it was intentional, but it was interesting.

Maybe someone can help me out, but I cannot recall the last time a Reds pitcher intentionally beaned someone. I seriously have to think about the days of the "Nasty Boys." The Reds pitchers for this entire decade have been pretty soft.

flyer85
05-04-2008, 05:48 PM
HR ... double ... next guy better not dig in

LoganBuck
05-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I was happy, at least someone showed a pulse.

Barack Obama for GM! I need Change!

Big Klu
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Technically, Burton didn't bean him. Beaning somebody implied hitting him in the "bean", i.e., the head.

KronoRed
05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
So...he butted him?

CTA513
05-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Did anyone hear Bobby Cox (I think it was him) cussing at Burton after he hit him?

jojo
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Can we be certain that Burton was trying to throw outside though? :cool:

RedFanAlways1966
05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Hit a batter because you throw pitches in the wheelhouse and cannot get anyone out. Makes a lot of sense. On the bright side... at least a hit batter has to stop at first base. A moral victory for Burton.

Jpup
05-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Hit a batter because you throw pitches in the wheelhouse and cannot get anyone out. Makes a lot of sense. On the bright side... at least a hit batter has to stop at first base. A moral victory for Burton.

It's been going on for 100 years.

fearofpopvol1
05-05-2008, 02:41 AM
As I said earlier, I honestly am failing to remember the last time a Reds pitcher did it though (outside of the Nasty Boys). Reds pitching has been historically soft for quite some time.

RedFanAlways1966
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
It's been going on for 100 years.

I agree. So has drug dealing, murder and rape. Doesn't make it right. I don't mind brushing back a hitter. I do mind intentionally hitting them. There is a big difference in intimidating (not what Burton did) and pathetic (what Burton did).

TRF
05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I agree. So has drug dealing, murder and rape. Doesn't make it right. I don't mind brushing back a hitter. I do mind intentionally hitting them. There is a big difference in intimidating (not what Burton did) and pathetic (what Burton did).

I disagree. IMO Burton did it the right way. He didn't head hunt, didn't put one in his back, he plucked his butt.

he didn't injur the guy and he sent a little message. I'm cool with it.

pahster
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I prefer pitchers who (1) get outs and (2) are grown ups.

BCubb2003
05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I like the idea that a pitcher claims the plate and backs the batter off. More Reds pitchers should do that (or have the ability to do that.) But I always thought it was silly when someone takes you deep and you throw at the next guy. It just makes it more obvious that you were pwned, as the kids say.

jojo
05-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Ya,there is a difference between showing a willingness to work the inside of the plate and a willingness to punish a hitter for doing his job.

gm
05-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I like the idea that a pitcher claims the plate and backs the batter off. More Reds pitchers should do that (or have the ability to do that.)

As talented as Harang is, he would have even more success if he would occasionally pitch inside and make the opposing hitters "move their feet" IMO

It's part of the game

mth123
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM

This is exactly right. Pitchers are so poor at this these days that they don't know how to do it. Burton wasn't intimidating anyone, he was taking out frustrations and that is not what a "purpose pitch" is about.

It is not surprising that the team has little knowledge in this (which is absolutely part of the mental aspect of baseball). One thing this team has been unbelievably consistent at during the last decade is its lack of baseball smarts. Inability to pitch inside, flailing at pitches when being outguessed, making outs galore on the bases, etc. Its just been a pretty stupid team for a long time now. Heck, they even have to bring in some one who hasn't been a part of the organization for 20 years to work with the young pitchers because they aren't smart enough to do it themselves.

15fan
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
As talented as Harang is, he would have even more success if he would occasionally pitch inside and make the opposing hitters "move their feet" IMO

It's part of the game

Bob Gibson likes the way you think.

Chin music. Purpose pitches. Whatever you want to call them.

Let's see more of 'em.

Big Klu
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Bob Gibson likes the way you think.

Chin music. Purpose pitches. Whatever you want to call them.

Let's see more of 'em.

Don Drysdale concurs with Gibson's opinion.