PDA

View Full Version : Bad Swings

bucksfan2
05-05-2008, 10:13 AM
In watching the Reds I am struck by how many poor poor swings the hitters take. I don't understand when Edwin or Dunn just waive at an early count pitch when there is no way they can do anything with it. How about Jr swinging at a 3-1 pitch that he can not drive. I can see the point of swinging at a marginal pitch when you have two strikes against you but swinging at at pitch you can't drive with less than two strikes is just counter-productive to me. Does anyone else notice a large number of bad swings by reds hitters or is this just common in the game of baseball?

flyer85
05-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Dusty wants em a hackin'. Walks just clog the bases.

Tommyjohn25
05-05-2008, 10:19 AM
In watching the Reds I am struck by how many poor poor swings the hitters take. I don't understand when Edwin or Dunn just waive at an early count pitch when there is no way they can do anything with it. How about Jr swinging at a 3-1 pitch that he can not drive. I can see the point of swinging at a marginal pitch when you have two strikes against you but swinging at at pitch you can't drive with less than two strikes is just counter-productive to me. Does anyone else notice a large number of bad swings by reds hitters or is this just common in the game of baseball?

I've been noticing this all season long as well. I'm not sure why this is going on but it does seem to be true. Now, granted I don't watch other teams nearly as much as I watch the Reds, but this problem does indeed seem to be worse witht he Reds sluggers right now than other teams....hopefully it stops, it's almost not "early" anymore.

bucksfan2
05-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Dusty wants em a hackin'. Walks just clog the bases.

Its not that. I want the hitters to be aggressive, however, early in the count I don't understand why hitters are swinging at pitches they can do nothing with. There is absolutly no reason to see a hitter swing at a pitch way out of the strike zone early in the count. I just wonder if it is horriable pitch recognition. It just obsurd how many bad bad pitches Dunn, Phillips, Jr, etc. swing at when they are early in the count or in a hitters count.

OnBaseMachine
05-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Griffey has been taking some of the ugliest swings I have seen. I remember a few weeks ago on a Saturday game against the Brewers when he swung at a [3-0[/b] pitch in the dirt. The ball literally bounced in front of home plate and he swung at it on 3-0. And as someone else noted, yesterday he swung at a 3-1 pitch at his ankles and just off the outside corner. That's a weak groundball waiting to happen - and it did happen on the next pitch in the same location. Thankfully the Braves botched the doubleplay. I don't know if he's losing his discipline or just pressing at the plate with No. 600 just around the corner.

flyer85
05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
for most guys it's a two word answer - guess hitter. You want a guess hitter to be more aggressive early in the count then you are going to see more bad swings when they guess wrong.

In Jrs case he is losing bat speed which means he has to start earliers which makes him much more susceptible to off speed pitches.