PDA

View Full Version : Foul Ball Etiquette

KoryMac5
05-05-2008, 06:40 PM
With all the talk about the Reds losing ways I thought a distraction might be in order.

In my life I have been to several major and minor league baseball games. In all of those games I have never caught a foul ball. I have watched several foul balls caught in close proximity to where I have been sitting. Some of these balls have been caught in a scrum and others have been caught with little or no problem. So my question is this: Is there any etiquette in catching a foul ball?

kaldaniels
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Let the debate begin...

In this corner "Give it to the Kid"

vs

"Every man for himself"

I want a fair,clean fight, now touch gloves.

Cyclone792
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Use anything you can to your advantage.

Whether it's sending some elbows flying, hip checks, full out body checks, boxing out, a single or double leg takedown, an arm bar, a choke (triangle, rear naked, guillotine, etc.) ... use anything. Don't be afraid to throw women and children on the floor, in the aisle, or anywhere that's out of your way. And definitely be willing to sacrifice body and limb by flying across several rows of seats to land the ultimate prize.

Mostly kidding aside*, just be in the right place at the right time and able to make the play.

It also doesn't hurt to know how to read fly balls if you're in home run territory in the barren wastelands of the GABP outfield seats during the month of September.

* I say mostly kidding because all the above will apply on historic home run balls, such as a Junior Griffey #600 ball.

Cyclone792
05-05-2008, 07:15 PM
FWIW, some of the greatest scrums I ever saw were at Tiger Stadium.

In left field on the lower level, Tiger Stadium had a wide sidewalk/concourse area immediately behind the wall and in front of the first row of seats. During BP, swarms of people would circulate around that concourse. Everytime a BP ball would come flying, it would be a massive pile-up going after each ball. It would pretty much look like a big jump ball followed by a big goal-line stand if the ball bounced around on the ground. People were diving on each other on the hard concrete and loving every bit of it.

Always Red
05-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Let the debate begin...

In this corner "Give it to the Kid"

vs

"Every man for himself"

I want a fair,clean fight, now touch gloves.

Give it to the kid.

Any self-respecting adult just doesn't need a foul ball that bad. Have some class and dignity!

On the other hand, as Cyclone pointed out, all bets are off for historic home run balls. That, sir, is a totally different animal. :D

mbgrayson
05-05-2008, 09:41 PM
A baseball costs, what, $5 or $6 retail? Not worth a fight.....nuff said.

rotnoid
05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
A baseball costs, what, $5 or $6 retail? Not worth a fight.....nuff said.

MLB balls are more like $13, but you're right- not worth it.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Boo me if you must, I'm selfish, I just don't see myself giving a kid I don't know a ball I catch. Mark me down for every man for himself.

guttle11
05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I've gotten three, one at a Reds game (Bichette fouled one into the booth and Marty pointed and dropped it into my glove when I was like 12) and two at Dragons games.

I'm done. If I ever get another one, it's going to a kid near me, or best case scenario, an attractive, single female...

I'll go after it in an attempt at an ounce of glory, but I'm not going to fight for it or push over a pregnant woman or anything.

RedsManRick
05-05-2008, 11:45 PM
If it comes right to me, I keep it. If there's a scrum with a kid involved, the ball goes to the kid.

Raisor
05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Personally, if a foul ball is hit at me, I'll hide behind the kids. I'm too valuable for anything to happen to me.

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 12:55 AM
I'd throw it back, it's a freaking baseball not gold.

WVRedsFan
05-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I think this thread is freaking ridiculous. Not offense to anyone participating in it, but is there so little going on that we have to discuss foul ball etiquette?

Forgive me. It's late, i'm old, and I want to discuss tonight's game, but there is no thread to discuss it in. Call me bitter.

KoryMac5
05-06-2008, 02:13 AM
I think this thread is freaking ridiculous. Not offense to anyone participating in it, but is there so little going on that we have to discuss foul ball etiquette?

Forgive me. It's late, i'm old, and I want to discuss tonight's game, but there is no thread to discuss it in. Call me bitter.

Get off my lawn! ;)

Joking aside I am sure you have a few foul ball stories in your files WV. After a rough start to the season a distraction (slump buster) is needed for us to keep our sanity.

vic715
05-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Ive probably been to over 200 games at Crosley and Riverfront and have been close to a couple but never got to one. Last August I traveled up from Florida with my 13 year old son and his best friend to see a game at GABP for the first time.We saw Harang beat the Dodgers on Weds and returned Friday night to See the Pads. The game moved on to the 11th inning I believe when we were fortunate enough to get behind the Reds dugout for the Reds final at bat. I sat 2 rows behind my son and his friend when Dunn the final batter of the game fouled a wicked shot that looked like it was headed for me so I ducked by instinct. the ball hit a seat and went right down under my sons seat. He came up with it and I couldn't believe it. But then an adult asked to see the ball and wouldn't give it back right away. I yelled at the guy and started toward him and he then gave the ball back to my son. He had told my son that since he wasn't supposed to be sitting there that he was keeping the ball.As he gave it back he said that he was only kidding but I promise you that had I not been there he would have kept that ball.

paintmered
05-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Follow-up question:

Give the ball to the lady, or to the kid sitting nearby?

RFS62
05-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Follow-up question:

The kid, of course. But you wobble a bit as you pass by the ladies seat and bump into her saying "pardon me, but I just got off my yacht and I haven't got my land legs back yet"

:pimp:

SunDeck
05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I caught one a few years ago and I gave it to a kid. It's a baseball, not a pearl.

That doesn't mean I don't relish the opportunity to catch one. I'll knock over a blind nun holding a baby in her arms if I need to. I'll step on a lady's hat. I'll knock over the beer guy. I'll smash your nachos and cheese. Get over it- it's not cheese anyway. I'll knee you in the gut and poke your girlfriend in the eye, because I need that ball more than you. Then I'll give it to that kid. It's just a baseball.

IslandRed
05-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I've never caught one.

A few years ago I went to a minor-league game here in Nashville, with seats right behind the plate. My daughter was four at the time, and I don't even remember what the issue was -- spilled drink, untied shoelace, with kids it could be any of a million things -- but I was kneeling in the aisle attending to something with her standing next to me. Then I heard ball meet bat, then I heard/sensed/saw out of the corner of my eyes everyone around us rising to their feet and I just knew that ball was coming right down on top of us. Didn't have time to look, just gathered in my little girl to protect her. The ball hit her seat and bounded several rows back. Would have been an easy catch under normal circumstances.

Of course, she's impatiently awaiting the day when another foul ball is hit right to us.

KoryMac5
05-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Follow-up question:

Another good question: What equipment is allowed? I have been at several games where people have brought nets and gloves with them. To me the only person who should use a glove is a kid, and absolutely no nets.

LincolnparkRed
05-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I have two. One for going to the bathroom. Wendall Magee roped one in Arlington that actually went down the tunnel, and one at Wrigley that was given to my son by Micheal Barrett as he walked off the field.

Highlifeman21
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Another good question: What equipment is allowed? I have been at several games where people have brought nets and gloves with them. To me the only person who should use a glove is a kid, and absolutely no nets.

I agree, no gloves, no nets. Only kids younger than middle school age should be able to bring the leather to the ballpark.

I've seen Cyclone go all out for a foul ball during BP, so I can attest to his dedication to the ball in the air. Quite amusing to watch, actually.

As for giving it to a kid or a lady, if you're with a lady, give it to her. She can then give it to a kid, if she wants. If you're not with a lady, give it to a kid, but make sure the ladies are watching you give the ball to the kid.

Reds Freak
05-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I've caught two balls in my life. The first was during batting practice when I was about 6 years old and John Wetteland took three throws to get the ball up to where I was sitting. The first two were knocked out of my glove by my mom who was trying to get it for me. The second one I caught I was about 16 and I cheated. I had just snuck down into the blue seats and not a pitch later a Milwaukee Brewer lined one right at me and I snagged it bare handed.

I say only give the ball to a kid if one of three conditions are met: if he or she is actively engaged in the game, if you have talked with the kid prior to catching the ball, or if you knock down the kid while trying to catch it. If I catch a ball, I'm not giving it to a kid who is only worried about his cotton candy and who makes me stand up every inning because he has to go to the bathroom. I don't think you have a duty to seek out a kid to give a ball to. Also, I'd say no gloves after the age of 14...

Ltlabner
05-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I have 5. I *might* make an exception for a really cute kid, or maybe handicaped child or something. Otherwise bugger off. I caught it, I keep it. *

And no gloves over the age of 15. You look stupid.

* it helps that my father has caught 3 of the 5 and promptly gave it to a kid....his.

Chip R
05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Follow-up question:

Good question. Depends on how cute the lady is and who she is with. If she's with you, giving it to the kid may endear you to her. If she's by herself or with a lady friend, give it to her with your phone number. ;)

Blimpie
05-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Ended up with a few "outfield" warmup balls (Kearns I think), but I have never actually snagged one during gameplay.

Closest calls:

Closest I ever came to a foul ball was actually in Wrigley Field. Howard Johnson fouled it straight back over the screen behind home plate. It tipped off my fingers and rolled under the seat in front of me; which, was occupied by a 8-9 year old kid. I deferred and he ended up with the ball.

During the 1998 home run chase, I was in Cinergy for a Cardinals game late in the year (it was actually the day after McGwire broke Maris' record). Big Mac was hitting BP before the game and I swear the stands had at least 20,000 people in them already. We were sitting right on the left field foul pole--but in the upper deck. McGwire hit at least 3 balls into our section of the red seats. The first one landed in my row and it was on. I never got the ball, but I was beaten all to hell. I mean--bruised ribs, scabbed elbows, etc... You would have thought I was in a car wreck.

My friend and I were actually just arriving to our blue seats (Cinergy) when a Brave hit a foul ball into our section. I think it was the 2nd pitch of the whole game. Both of us were holding two beers apiece and the ball was coming right for us in the aisle. My friend reached up with one of his cup-hands and tried to "cradle" the ball inside 16 oz of Coors Light. What a mess. The poor guy in front of us was completely soaked from head to toe.

WMR
05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I've never caught one but if I do someday have one hit in my direction and have the good fortune to snag it, you can sure as hell bet I'm not giving it to some snot-nosed punk.

EDIT: If I'm with a girl with whom I've yet to "close the deal," I might **MIGHT** give it to her if I think it'll put me over the top.

Roy Tucker
05-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Never caught one.

Where we sit, we usually only get pop-ups. Going up to get one is like getting a NBA rebound in traffic, i.e. 5-7 pairs of hands go up for it. If I got one of those, I'd keep it.

If its me and a kid going for the ball and I get it, I'd probably give it to him.

Our season tickets are on the aisle between sections 127 and 128, row 7, which is where the Reds file in and out of the dugout. After the Reds come off the field, a whole pack of kids flock down the aisle begging for a ball. If a player has it, he usually gives it to a kid.

WMR
05-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I was at a game one time where this was this dude who was EXTREMELY wasted... well, he had been yelling for players to give him a ball the entire game as they were going off the field, one player--can't remember who--tossed the ball to some kid who caught it in his glove... this guy runs over, grabs the ball out of the glove and runs up the aisle, laughing his ass off. A couple guys chased him... dunno if they ever caught him or not. :lol:

KoryMac5
05-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Often you will see someone in a bordering section come in and try and snag a ball in your area. What are some of the feelings in regards to another fan (4 or more seats over) invading your personal space for a ball.

WMR
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
LMAO, they had best be ready for a 6'3" 225 pound body check. :lol:

Spitball
05-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I caught one in (probably) 1968 at Crosley Field. Tony Cloninger was pitching and Johnny Briggs fouled it off. There were two distinct finger marks on the ball like Cloninger had been using pine tar or something. Richie Allen must have struck out three or four times that night.

I have caught probably four or five more at double A games in Little Rock and Portland, Maine. I remember a guy catching one at a Sea Dogs' game and giving it to my youngest son. It was a very classy act.

I was watching a game (probably a Rangers' game) a couple of summers ago. A ball went into the stands and a guy, probably in his late twenties-early thirties, actually snatched the ball away from a kid. After it was replayed on the big screen over and over, the crowd started chanting, "Give the kid the ball! Give the kid the ball!" The guy sat there and refused. Even his girlfriend or wife had to get up and leave, yet he still refused. Later, the kid was flown to New York and appeared on one of the early morning national shows (maybe The Today Show), and he received tickets to a Yankee game and a duffle bag full of goodies.

marcshoe
05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I've never caught a foul ball, but I was once hit in the head by a piece of toast in Charleston. :confused:

pahster
05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I've never caught a foul ball, but I was once hit in the head by a piece of toast in Charleston. :confused:

That probably made for a better story anyway. :p:

Big Klu
05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I got my first foul ball last year at GABP vs. the Phillies (the game where David Ross grounded into the 5-4-3 triple play). Jeff Conine hit it into our section in the club seats. A number of people in front of me and to my left fought over it, but it eluded them and quietly came to rest at my feet. So I reached down and claimed it! Since was the first foul ball I had ever even been close to (in 72 MLB games), I wasn't about to give it up. It is still prominently displayed on my desk.

However, in the future, I would either keep the ball and give it to my brother's little boy when I got home (if a Reds player hit it), or give it to a well-behaved kid at the park (if an opposing player hit it). The only exception is that I will keep the first one I catch on the fly for myself.

WVRedsFan
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM

Join the club. Back at old Watt Powell Park? Unfortunately, i had my then 5 year old with me and I turned around to see him eating the toast. I grabbed it out of his mouth immediately. "Strike Three! You're toast."

Loved going tok see the Charleston ball club. Been to the new stadium? Nice.

princeton
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
The kid, of course. But you wobble a bit as you pass by the ladies seat and bump into her saying "pardon me, but I just got off my yacht and I haven't got my land legs back yet"

:pimp:

I see that you play Fantasy Baseball

marcshoe
05-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Join the club. Back at old Watt Powell Park? Unfortunately, i had my then 5 year old with me and I turned around to see him eating the toast. I grabbed it out of his mouth immediately. "Strike Three! You're toast."

Loved going tok see the Charleston ball club. Been to the new stadium? Nice.

A couple of times. I got to see Ryan Braun right after he came up, and a few others who have a chance of being heard from. I'll have more time this summer than usual (I was both working full time and taking 15 graduate hours last summer) and hope to get to a few more games.

My close encounter with the toast came at Watt Powell a few years back when I'd worked late and was too tired to drive, so I stopped at the park and was unwisely reading during the game. I didn't even see it coming.

btw, I understand Blackstone strongly advises against eating the toast. :)

RFS62
05-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I see that you play Fantasy Baseball

Oh yeah.

smith288
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I had one tossed to me in the stands and gave it to my son. Just a ball...