PDA

View Full Version : Lets Be Realistic With Trades

Rounding Third
05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I think we are all, probably including myself, are overrating the value of our players.

Ryan Freel
A $3MM+ utility player that is reckless, injury prone and on the wrong side of 30. To be able to trade him we wouldn't get that much in return and we would probably have to eat all or most of the contract.

Ken Griffey Jr
Making way to much money and injury prone, this sounds familiar. If we trade him this year he is pretty much a rented bat for a couple of months. Griffey isn't who he used to be though. He isn't going to hit .300 or have a high OBP or hit 40 home runs. Very few suitors for him, all are in the American League. We wouldn't get much in return for him.

Adam Dunn
Probably has the most trade value of anybody right now. A more viable option that Griffey is. A progressive team can see the value in him with his high OBP and home run power. The only downsides are he has only a few teams he can be traded too and it is a contract year. Dunn is exactly the kind of player Walt Jocketty used to trade for. Contract year, undervalued and the team can't afford to keep him.

Bronson Arroyo
Terrible beginning of the year and being paid too much for what he is actually doing. A team may want to take a chance on him, but the Reds would probably not get much in return and would have to take the salary.

Corey Patterson
I wouldn't think anybody would really want to sign Patterson in the offseason. I wish I was correct. Good luck removing him from Dusty's grasp as well. Signed for way too much, seems to be a trend, and hasn't shown and never has shown why he is worth that much.

Norris Hopper
Never know who may want to pick up a speedy 4th-5th outfielder. Not there is a deficiency of them. However his ability to bunt and speed and being able to play at every outfield position is an asset. Not going to get anything breathtaking for him.

Just to sum it all up:

We have a lot of overpaid players that have little to no value. Which means we probably can't get much for these guys.

mroby85
05-06-2008, 01:03 AM
the most logical thing to do would be to stop proposing trades since we have absolutely no say in them happening ;)

durl
05-06-2008, 01:09 AM
I agree with the OP's thought. More than a few people advocate trading players like Griffey, Patterson, and Dunn as though it's a video game in which anything goes. The reality is that player's performance and contracts can add an incredibly high level of complexity to many trades.

Trade ideas are interesting to discuss but we should at least be realistic.

tommycash
05-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think discussing Griffey and Dunn are out of line since both are in a contract year and could help many teams (in the AL). You don't think that a team that needs a left handed power bat would be willing to trade some prospect for Dunn or Griffey if they were in the chase.

mlbfan30
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't think discussing Griffey and Dunn are out of line since both are in a contract year and could help many teams (in the AL). You don't think that a team that needs a left handed power bat would be willing to trade some prospect for Dunn or Griffey if they were in the chase.

The point is... There's not point in creating unrealistic trade ideas.

Griffey for Clement isn't happening
Dunn for Kemp doesn't work
Arroyo for anything useful would never happen
etc.

How about Josh Fogg for Holliday? or more like a 24 y/o single A non-prospect

tommycash
05-06-2008, 04:54 PM

etc.

How about Josh Fogg for Holliday? or more like a 24 y/o single A non-prospect

You're right. We can discuss reasonable trades. I am with you on that aspect.

Slyder
05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I guess I better keep my mouth shut about the Fogg and Dunn to Colorado for Helton and some spects :D.

Natty Redlocks
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Dunn and Griffey for Soriano.

Seriously, as a Cub fan, I'd do anything to get out of that horrible contract. And Fonz is Dusty's wet dream player.

Please don't bother enumerating all the reasons this could never happen. I actually think both managers would totally be all for it. Lou might even throw in Pie.

Rounding Third
05-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Dunn and Griffey for Soriano.

Seriously, as a Cub fan, I'd do anything to get out of that horrible contract. And Fonz is Dusty's wet dream player.

Please don't bother enumerating all the reasons this could never happen. I actually think both managers would totally be all for it. Lou might even throw in Pie.

Did you know the Cubs are in the same division as the Reds?

dougflynn23
05-06-2008, 10:33 PM

etc.

How about Josh Fogg for Holliday? or more like a 24 y/o single A non-prospect :) Junior for Jeff Clement isn't happening...but Junior and Matt Maloney and assuming all of Junior's remaining 2008 salary might just be workable.

Natty Redlocks
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Did you know the Cubs are in the same division as the Reds?

Whut's a duhvision?