PDA

View Full Version : Cueto's mechanics

RedsManRick
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Given his struggles of late, a few in the media have suggested he's been troubling with his mechanics, specifically his release point. I know Soto was brought in to work with him.

He's got such a violent recoil action that it always looks to me as if he's not finishing a lot of his pitches -- but I'm hardly a scout.

Has anybody noticed anything so far tonight that they think sheds light on the issue?

membengal
05-06-2008, 08:20 AM
I am far from anyone whose thoughts should be taken too seriously when it comes to mechanics, but it seems to me that he gets in trouble when he drifts or falls away a bit toward 1st base on occasion as he finishes his delivery. When that happens, his ball elevates just a bit. And it seems to happen a bit more when he is in the stretch. I suspect that as he matures, he will continue to get a feel for when that happens and self-correct fairly quickly.

I remain amazed at how well he locates that fastball when he is right.

bucksfan2
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
They were saying on the reds broadcast that he does fall too far towards 1b. They said it isn't something that you try to fix during the season, rather try and fix over the off season. I think Cueto gets in trouble from time to time when he speeds his delivery up out of the stretch. He doesn't seem to get fully loaded on his back leg when he is rushed.

As for last night it shows you the nasty stuff that he has. He will continue to make mistakes and probably will give up his share of long balls this season. Overall I was very encouraged with his stuff last night.

Sea Ray
05-06-2008, 09:38 AM
They were saying on the reds broadcast that he does fall too far towards 1b. They said it isn't something that you try to fix during the season, rather try and fix as the season goes along.

:confused: What's the difference in "during the season" and "as the season goes along"?

bucksfan2
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
:confused: What's the difference in "during the season" and "as the season goes along"?

Yea I just noticed that. I fixed it.

Team Clark
05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
They were saying on the reds broadcast that he does fall too far towards 1b.

Jose Rijo comes to mind. If you get too far out front on your mechanices you're breaking ball will not bite. Cueto is young and still finding his way. He'll be fine. Looked good yesterday.