PDA

View Full Version : Rockies as a Trade Partner

Benihana
05-06-2008, 10:29 AM
They've already signed Juan Castro, and according to today's Denver Post they have serious interest in trading for Josh Fogg. Was this a missed opportunity? Could something still be worked out? It's not everyday that the same team lusts after your two worst players. Even if we could have packaged both of these guys for a B prospect, it would have been a great deal. This potential move was probably a casualty of the Reds front office turnover, as the Krivsky firing/Walt hiring put a temporary paralysis on our front office.

What do you think- could we have gotten anything significant?

HokieRed
05-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Do you want the short answer?

Sea Ray
05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm sure a trade for Castro was discussed when he was DFA but the Rockies aren't stupid. They decided to take their chances that he'd clear waivers and then sign him for the minimum. My guess is they'll do the same with Fogg

Benihana
05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't know. It's one thing for one guy, but when a team is clearly targeting two of your players, I think you could extract a B (or even C+) prospect out of them, in order to ensure they get their men. I'm not saying we could've traded them for something large, but a Conine or Lohse-like return would have been nice.

MWM
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
How about we target Chris Nelson. :evil:

REDREAD
05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm sure Wayne tried to unload Castro, even if it was only for a $1, just to avoid the walk of shame to ask Cast to eat his contract. And I'm sure every club he called realized that Castro would eventually clear waivers and be able to be signed for less.

I'm not so sure I'm in a big hurry to ditch Fogg. He's been valuable as a long reliever, because he avoids chewing through the other relievers. Plus, the rotation is not exactly stable. Arroyo and Belisle are gas cans. There's two rookies in the rotation that have pitched well, but might wear down later.

I think it's worthwhile to keep Fogg as an insurance plan and long reliever, unless someone actually is foolish enough to offer something of substance. No point in trading Fogg for a Tim Hummel or worse.

nate
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm sure Wayne tried to unload Castro, even if it was only for a $1, just to avoid the walk of shame to ask Cast to eat his contract. And I'm sure every club he called realized that Castro would eventually clear waivers and be able to be signed for less.

And Wayne said there had been talks with the Dodgers and Padres about acquiring Castro. So, as strange as it seems to us, there were teams willing to give up _something_ for Castro but Walt failed to follow through.

The "walk of shame" bit is, quite honestly, silly.

Joseph
05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Can Fogg somehow be dealt before June 15th because he was originally signed to a minor league deal? If so, then sure I'd explore it. Otherwise I suspect that it will be a moot point because they'll have several starters return in late May, early June.

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
What do you think- could we have gotten anything significant?

Nope, we won't get much for our junk.

klw
05-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Fogg and Ross for Chris Iannetta

blumj
05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
And Wayne said there had been talks with the Dodgers and Padres about acquiring Castro. So, as strange as it seems to us, there were teams willing to give up _something_ for Castro but Walt failed to follow through.

I would imagine that whatever they were offering in return was so valueless as to make it preferable to allow Castro to choose his own landing spot out of respect for him.

blumj
05-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Can Fogg somehow be dealt before June 15th because he was originally signed to a minor league deal? If so, then sure I'd explore it. Otherwise I suspect that it will be a moot point because they'll have several starters return in late May, early June.
It's not that they can't trade him, they just need his permission, and I think he'd probably accept a trade to a team that would give him a starting rotation spot.

Az Red
05-06-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_9163855

"While they wait for internal options to heal their wounds and fix their mechanics, the Rockies are actively pursuing depth for their rotation, discussing trades with the Reds for Josh Fogg and the Red Sox for Julian Tavarez.

The Rockies also have kicked the tires on Oakland's Rich Harden and Joe Blanton and Texas' Kevin Millwood. Harden is hurt, limiting interest; Blanton is currently not available. And while the Rangers will listen on Millwood, they want the right players in return, not salary relief.

The Rockies' motivation is shaped by their need. Colorado is searching for a pitcher to stabilize its rotation until Franklin Morales, Greg Reynolds and the injured Jason Hirsh are ready to contribute sometime next month.

"It's early in the year, and there a lot of clubs sorting through issues, and when they get through them that's about the same time that Hirsh, Morales and Reynolds should be ready to help us. So I am trying to find one guy for six or seven starts," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said.

Fogg, rotting in the Reds' bullpen with approximately $1.2 million left on his deal, represents an ideal candidate. He won 10 games for the Rockies last season and is so well-liked that one teammate predicted he would receive a standing ovation if he walked back into the clubhouse.

But there is a bit of poker involved. The Reds could face a roster decision soon if they bring up prized pitcher Homer Bailey, so Colorado is reluctant to give up much if Fogg is going to be cut. "

Tom Servo
05-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Fogg for Castro

15fan
05-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Cory Sullivan (a 15fan cyber pick from back in the day) is down in AAA for the Rockies.

He'd give the Reds another OF glove as a late inning defensive replacement.

He also was a closer in college.

WebScorpion
05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Fogg and Ross for Chris Ianetta I could never figure out why the Rockies ever picked up Torrealba. I mean, he's better than most of our options, but they've always had Iannetta close to the bigs and that guy can rake. His SLG is almost higher than Torrealba's entire OPS this year. :eek: I think they've got another guy in AAA (Bellorin) who may turn out to be better than either Iannetta or Torrealba in the long run. I don't think they'd trade Iannetta, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

lollipopcurve
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
The Reds could face a roster decision soon if they bring up prized pitcher Homer Bailey, so Colorado is reluctant to give up much if Fogg is going to be cut. "

I don't see how they'd have to release him - he's cheap, serviceable, there's trade interest, and they have options for sending others down (Burton, Belisle)

HokieRed
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
If the Rockies had agreed, or would agree, to take any of the salary of either Castro or Fogg, I'm sure they would argue they'd done their share of the deal.

lollipopcurve
05-06-2008, 01:59 PM
If the Rockies had agreed, or would agree, to take any of the salary of either Castro or Fogg, I'm sure they would argue they'd done their share of the deal.

Disagree re: Fogg -- he's got a solid track record of #5 starter performance and he's making $1 million -- the salary is not a burden and the likelihood that they're getting a semi-useful starter is pretty high -- the Reds would get some talent back, I figure

blumj
05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
FWIW, I don't think the "competition" from the Sox involving Julian Tavarez is serious. He's making too much money, $3.85M, and they have other, less expensive options for the title of most expendable guy in the bullpen.

flyer85
05-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Fogg for Castro

:censored:

LoganBuck
05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
:censored:

The team went downhill when Castro got released. No question about that!

:barf:

REDREAD
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Sure there were talks. Wayne asked them if they were interested and either they said no or Wayne asked for something in return.

Perhaps LA/SD was only interested if the Reds ate most of the contract.

In all seriousness, SD is off to as bad of a start as we are. Why would they want Castro?

The bottom line is that if talks were serious, Castro would've been dealt to save money. The fact that Castro cleared waviers proves that no one was that serious about trading for him.
Maybe if Colorado passed, LA picks him up at the minimum, but they didn't want Castro that badly...

redsmetz
05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
It's not that they can't trade him, they just need his permission, and I think he'd probably accept a trade to a team that would give him a starting rotation spot.

I was surprised, but you are right. Here's what I found on Cot's

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2003/01/important-transaction-dates_03.html

June 16 - First day a club may trade a player who was signed after the expiration of the 15-day free agency election period. A Club may assign the contract prior to this date for other player contracts and/or a cash consideration of no more than $50,000 if the player gives his written consent. CBA, Article XX (B) (6).

Sea Ray
05-06-2008, 04:01 PM
First day a club may trade a player who was signed after the expiration of the 15-day free agency election period. A Club may assign the contract prior to this date for other player contracts and/or a cash consideration of no more than $50,000 if the player gives his written consent.

When is the first day?

redsmetz
05-06-2008, 04:39 PM
When is the first day?

I'm sorry, I must have truncated it when I cut and pasted. June 16th is the first day you can trade a free agent player without his consent. I'll correct it.

Unassisted
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
There seems to be an actual fire amidst the smoke here.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2008/m05/d06/c2651074.jsp

Fogg trade talks undisputed by Reds
05/06/2008 7:57 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds pitcher Josh Fogg could soon be breathing crisp Rocky Mountain air again.

With the Rockies pitching staff in disarray and shorthanded, there is the possibility the club could be interested in bringing back Fogg. The right-hander pitched in Colorado from 2006-07.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty did not deny a Denver Post report that Cincinnati and Colorado were in active trade talks involving Fogg.

"Everyone is looking for pitching, let's put it that way," Jocketty said.

Spring Training was already under way when the Reds signed Fogg to a one-year contract with a $400,000 base salary. Innings incentives could earn him up to $1.2 million.

Fogg, who won 10 games for the Rockies last season, earned a Reds rotation spot but was demoted to the bullpen after three regular-season starts. He is 1-2 with a 9.27 ERA in seven games overall.

klw
05-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Reds almost cut Fogg on Monday per Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_9175661

The Reds are trying to accommodate pitcher Josh Fogg by trading him to a team that will give him an opportunity to start. The Rockies remain a favorite, but don't want to overpay if Fogg is going to be cut, something that nearly happened Monday before other teams besides Colorado expressed interest in the right-hander. Seeing Fogg as an insurance policy, Cincinnati wants to work out a deal.

LoganBuck
05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
This info gets out to Denver how?

Krivsky ran a tight ship, apparently Jocketty's ship has some loose lips?

klw
05-07-2008, 04:32 PM
This info gets out to Denver how?

Krivsky ran a tight ship, apparently Jocketty's ship has some loose lips?

Better question may be why doesn't the info come out in Cincy?

blumj
05-12-2008, 09:53 AM
FWIW, I don't think the "competition" from the Sox involving Julian Tavarez is serious. He's making too much money, $3.85M, and they have other, less expensive options for the title of most expendable guy in the bullpen.
I don't know if the Reds are still interested in trading Fogg, but, what I've seen since I posted that has caused me to completely change my mind about the Sox intentions. I would no longer be surprised if Julian Tavarez is either traded or DFA'd very soon.

Gainesville Red
05-12-2008, 11:04 AM
per mlb trade rumors:

MONDAY: Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post says the Rockies' talks for Tavarez are dead. His guess is that the Rockies will end up with Josh Fogg and won't have to give up anyone.

flyer85
05-12-2008, 11:09 AM
If it was me I would put Fogg back in the rotation and try sliding Belisle in near the back end of the pen(certainly his stuff is good enough to play well in that role).

blumj
05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
per mlb trade rumors:

MONDAY: Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post says the Rockies' talks for Tavarez are dead. His guess is that the Rockies will end up with Josh Fogg and won't have to give up anyone.
At this point, I think they could get Tavarez without giving anything up, either, and maybe sooner.

blumj
05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I just heard on WEEI in Boston, Julian Tavarez was DFA'd to activate Sean Casey off the DL.