PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Article Griffey: I want to contend

goreds2
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
I am not sure if this has been posted here.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080506/SPT04/305060059

In one of his strongest statements to date on the subject, Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. shared his desire to contend for a championship with USA Today.

In an article published in today's editions, Griffey characterized the Reds' current status as "a tough situation," saying that "we either turn things around or they start getting rid of everybody around here."

The Reds moved out of the cellar in the NL Central Monday night with a 5-3 win over the Cubs.

Griffey, who enters tonight's game hitting .229 with four home runs and 15 RBI, says he expects the Reds to approach him before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline seeking his approval for a trade.

"My situation is different only because I can tell them where I want to go. I want to be in position to win a championship. I'm not strong-arming anybody, but that's the way it is."

bubbachunk
05-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't blame the man. Although his injuries have not helped the situation it is not his fault cinci has been as bad as they have been.

redsfanmia
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
It would be best for both parties to move on.

Larkinfan_11
05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't have access to start a thread but found this on ESPN under Griffey's player page on their site....

May. 6 : Griffey Jr. played in Monday's game and slammed his 598th career home run despite losing his childhood best friend earlier that morning. Manager Dusty Baker wanted to give him the day off, but Griffey Jr. wanted to play in tribute to his late friend, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Scott Botkins
05-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Please trade him to a team and city that will appreciate him and his talent. I'm tired of reading everyday how Griffey and Dunn are the reason the Reds haven't been to the playoffs since 1995. This organization is a joke when it comes to baseball, they build a park that gives up homeruns so easy and then they sign mediocre pitchers to pitch in it and now you guys want to trade the power hitters. If you think this offense stinks now, wait until you have no power in the lineup.

Then there's the "small market baseball town" Cincinnati supposely is, that's because the owners don't know how to run the organization or spend there money, the Yankees and Red Sox are the only ones who know how to spend the money. I run a company myself and its no different when it comes to money, put 1/3 back into the company which means of the Reds $300+ million profit each year they need to put $100-120 of it into the payroll instead of 60-70 of it. They will make it right back when a winning team is on the field and the seats all have butts in them.

It starts at the top, if the Reds owners keep status quo then 5 years from now the Reds are still going to be looking for there first playoff appearance is almost 20 years. Then Reds fans will have to find another scapegoat to put the blame on.

Cicero
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Please trade him to a team and city that will appreciate him and his talent. I'm tired of reading everyday how Griffey and Dunn are the reason the Reds haven't been to the playoffs since 1995. This organization is a joke when it comes to baseball, they build a park that gives up homeruns so easy and then they sign mediocre pitchers to pitch in it and now you guys want to trade the power hitters. If you think this offense stinks now, wait until you have no power in the lineup.

Then there's the "small market baseball town" Cincinnati supposely is, that's because the owners don't know how to run the organization or spend there money, the Yankees and Red Sox are the only ones who know how to spend the money. I run a company myself and its no different when it comes to money, put 1/3 back into the company which means of the Reds $300+ million profit each year they need to put $100-120 of it into the payroll instead of 60-70 of it. They will make it right back when a winning team is on the field and the seats all have butts in them.

It starts at the top, if the Reds owners keep status quo then 5 years from now the Reds are still going to be looking for there first playoff appearance is almost 20 years. Then Reds fans will have to find another scapegoat to put the blame on.

Well said. You will get hammered for having such an opinion here but for the record I agree.

Jack Burton
05-06-2008, 09:49 PM
"My situation is different only because I can tell them where I want to go. I want to be in position to win a championship. I'm not strong-arming anybody, but that's the way it is."
IMO, he sounds like a punk with talk like that.

GoReds33
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
IMO, he sounds like a punk with talk like that.IMO, he sounds like a guy who put his career at risk by forcing a trade to return to where it all started. He was the most gifted player in baseball history, IMO. I think he realizes that he'll never win a championship here. If I was him, even as the huge Reds fan that I am, I would be tempted to leave and go win a championship. I, for one, will be overjoyed when and if he ever wins a championship, be it here, or somewhere else.

Jack Burton
05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
IMO, he sounds like a guy who put his career at risk by forcing a trade to return to where it all started. He was the most gifted player in baseball history, IMO. I think he realizes that he'll never win a championship here. If I was him, even as the huge Reds fan that I am, I would be tempted to leave and go win a championship. I, for one, will be overjoyed when and if he ever wins a championship, be it here, or somewhere else.

I appreciate your opinion. But If he's not in a Reds uniform, I couldn't care less if he wins a championship.

Ghosts of 1990
05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Don't know how it's not clear that the best for both sides would be shortly after 600 (so our fans have one nice memory of this season at least) if we trade Jr. for anything we can get to the AL and bring up Bruce. Hopefully it's by June.

Orodle
05-07-2008, 09:29 AM

Somehow I think you running your company and running a major league baseball team is a bit different. Spending money can help contend but spending money just to be spending it goes nowhere.

44Magnum
05-07-2008, 10:58 AM
The Mariners winning pct. with Jr. was .471
The Mariners winning pct. since Jr. left is .533

The Reds winning pct. with Jr. is .462
The Reds winning pct. while Jr. was in Seattle is .499

The Mariners won 79 games during Jr's last season.
The Mariners won 91 games the year after Jr. left.

The Reds won 85 games during Jr's first season with them.
The Reds won 96 games the year before he got here.

:D Jr. not only hurts teams, he hurts entire leagues. Did you know that the National League has not won an All-Star game since Jr. has been in the NL?

chisdad
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Clueless!!!!

tommycash
05-07-2008, 11:05 AM
The Red Sox never won a World Series with Ted Williams.
The Cubs didn't with Ernie Banks either.

Those teams should have gotten rid of those cancer players long before they retired too.

Nasty_Boy
05-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Dumbest post ever! :thumbdown

Ghosts of 1990
05-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Griffey's never been on a team that's won it all. I say the poster is right. Griffey's lax, no hustle, primadona attitude rubbing off on younger talent isn't a way to build a team that plays hard. It is what it is.

He's not a great player anymore and he's not a 3 hole hitter. How can one argue that? A team with this makeup would be better suited with a youngster playing in the outfield rather than Griffey; for the long term health of the franchise if nothing else.

BEETTLEBUG
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
True dumb post.

tommycash
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I guess that the fact that the Mariners team ERA in 1999 was 5.24 didn't have anything to do with them having a losing season that year. Or that in 2000 the teams ERA went down almost a whole point. Or maybe that they got a better closer ( they went from Mesa to Suzuki). Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that Texas was a really strong team in 1999 (won 95 games) but in 2000 Texas won only 71 games. The only other team that was close to Seattle that year was Oakland (with 91 wins). If division rival Texas loses 24 games in the span of one year (in win margin), division teams are most likely going to pick wins up (in win margin) because of the frequency that they play.

bgwilly31
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Griffey sits out in right field with his hands on his knees as his "ready" position. He doesnt run out ground balls. He starts walking like he hit a HR. When its not even close to a no doubter.

Oh yeah! Griff is exactly what this team needs. :rolleyes:

Jr's Boy
05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I love it how when the Reds are losing the Griffey executioner's come a calling.

tommycash
05-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Griffey's never been on a team that's won it all. I say the poster is right. Griffey's lax, no hustle, primadona attitude rubbing off on younger talent isn't a way to build a team that plays hard. It is what it is.

He's not a great player anymore and he's not a 3 hole hitter. How can one argue that? A team with this makeup would be better suited with a youngster playing in the outfield rather than Griffey; for the long term health of the franchise if nothing else.

So now we measure how great a player is based on the fact that his team wins it all or not. Somebody better tell Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Harmon Killebrew, Ty Cobb, Robin Yount, Carl Yastrzemski, Rod Carew, and many more that they are not that great because they did not win it all.

bgwilly31
05-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I havent liked griffey since the end of the 1st year with him on the team.

bgwilly31
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Griffey sits out in right field with his hands on his knees as his "ready" position. He doesnt run out ground balls. He starts walking like he hit a HR. When its not even close to a no doubter.

Oh yeah! Griff is exactly what this team needs. :rolleyes:

How about you griffey lovers tell me he doesnt do these things on a game in and game out basis!

Try to explain yourselves how he is helping this team? besides maybe putting some asses in the seat and padding the pocket of the owner.

bgwilly31
05-07-2008, 11:34 AM
TRADE HIM NOW! While is worth more.

Think about this. Who really cares if he hits 600 while in reds uniform.

I dont care at all. If he had done much for this team i might care a little more.

We need to trade him now while the worth to seattle is a little more.

smoke6
05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't have access to start a thread but found this on ESPN under Griffey's player page on their site....

May. 6 : Griffey Jr. played in Monday's game and slammed his 598th career home run despite losing his childhood best friend earlier that morning. Manager Dusty Baker wanted to give him the day off, but Griffey Jr. wanted to play in tribute to his late friend, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

If I'm not mistaken Jr. was robbed of a HR. He didn't hit one. :confused:

freestyle55
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I was at the "game" last night (if you can call that feeble attempt at hitting a game) and the counter most definitely says 597...

bgwilly31
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
If I'm not mistaken Jr. was robbed of a HR. He didn't hit one. :confused:

JR also started his HR walk the entire time after he hit that ball.

44Magnum
05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Make no mistake...it's not just Griffey. Dunn is to blame too. Their combined attitudes and laziness has to make up the worst team chemistry in the Majors.

44Magnum
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
So now we measure how great a player is based on the fact that his team wins it all or not. Somebody better tell Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Harmon Killebrew, Ty Cobb, Robin Yount, Carl Yastrzemski, Rod Carew, and many more that they are not that great because they did not win it all.

I never said he was not a great player. There is no debating that. What's up for debate is whether or not his non-tangibles outweigh his production. And I say it obviously does and always has.

Dunn is in the same category. No amount of HR's or walks can make up for being a poor example to younger players, etc.

ChatterRed
05-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Post of the year!!!!!! ;)

Nuxhall41
05-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's the black on the uniforms. They did do well in '99 after adding it but have been cursed ever since. :eek:

Jack Burton
05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
JR also started his HR walk the entire time after he hit that ball.

I noticed that also, didn't think it was appropriate given the fact his team was in last place at the time.

durl
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
TRADE HIM NOW! While is worth more.

Think about this. Who really cares if he hits 600 while in reds uniform.

I dont care at all. If he had done much for this team i might care a little more.

We need to trade him now while the worth to seattle is a little more.

1 - Who do you trade him to?
2 - If he does nothing for a team, why would any other team want him?

Serious questions.

Scott Botkins
05-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I suppose we lost last nights game because Griffey didn't hit 4 homeruns?

tommycash
05-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I suppose we lost last nights game because Griffey didn't hit 4 homeruns?

No you are wrong. It is because Dunn and Griffey didn't hit 4 homeruns. And because Patterson and Fogg are still on the roster.;);)

bgwilly31
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I noticed that also, didn't think it was appropriate given the fact his team was in last place at the time.

not only that but the hit was catchable. You dont start your strut when the hit is catchable. You should be strutting when the hit is at least 6 rows deep.

1 - Who do you trade him to?
2 - If he does nothing for a team, why would any other team want him?

Serious questions.

Who do you trade him to?

Answer SEATTLE!

nothing for a team?

Answer: Puts fans in the seats and money in the owners pocket.

He doesnt put wins on the board though.

BlastFurnace
05-07-2008, 03:01 PM

I completely agree with you. It's frustrating watching this team...year after year...struggle just to make it to .500. We have gone a step in the right direction this year by hiring Baker and Jocketty, so hopefully things will change.

I wish Jr. would stick around and retire as a Red. Also, I wish his stay in Cincinnati didn't have the bittersweet taste that it does because of the fan's reaction to him and the injury problems he has had with us. I will never forget the day we traded for him and how excited the entire Reds Nation was over it. I never thought he would be a Red when I watched him with the Mariners...and when it happened, it was like Christmas 10x over.

He always has been and always will be my favorite player. Also, he always will be the best player of our generation regardless of the numbers Bonds put up...in my book.

He may leave, but he will always get a standing ovation from me.

BlastFurnace
05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Maybe it's the black on the uniforms. They did do well in '99 after adding it but have been cursed ever since. :eek:

Go back to the 1975-76 look.

Jack Burton
05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
He's been nothing but a hindrance to the Reds since he got here, far from my favorite player. My favorite player would actually be a benefit to the club.

Orodle
05-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm glad he wants to contend, so do we, get him out of here!

durl
05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
A hitter gets maybe 4 chances per game to influence his team's score. The better hitters will get a hit, on average, slightly more than once per game.

Anybody who wants to blame Griffey for the failure of the Reds TEAM to win should remember that there are 6-7 other guys who also have to hit the ball.

Jack Burton
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Anybody who wants to blame Griffey for the failure of the Reds TEAM to win should remember that there are 6-7 other guys who also have to hit the ball.

Obviously he isn't the only reason for the failure. But with his salary and his previous performance a little more should be expected of him. He's been a below average, injury riddled ball player since he got here. At this point in his career he shouldn't be an everyday player.

kfm
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I guess that the fact that the Mariners team ERA in 1999 was 5.24 didn't have anything to do with them having a losing season that year. Or that in 2000 the teams ERA went down almost a whole point. Or maybe that they got a better closer ( they went from Mesa to Suzuki). Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that Texas was a really strong team in 1999 (won 95 games) but in 2000 Texas won only 71 games. The only other team that was close to Seattle that year was Oakland (with 91 wins). If division rival Texas loses 24 games in the span of one year (in win margin), division teams are most likely going to pick wins up (in win margin) because of the frequency that they play.

Great post, I love how we talk about this being a team game, until there's a player we dislike and then we suddenly forget it's a team sport and just blame one player. It's just too bad that Griffey had to wait until his final year with the Reds when he has diminished skills to finally get the type of pitching leather pants promised him when they signed him. Oh I forgot that's Griffey's fault too.